What's new

General Cricket thread

SL is turning it on against Ind in Galle test. Defending just 175 runs, they have got Ind in all sorts of troubles at 78/7.

From Cricinfo:

India scoring at under two an over. They have been going on and on about aggression under their new leader as if they have invented the word, but when it mattered, they have caved in meekly. :rofl:
yeh to lol ho gya, India was playing so well throughout the game.
88/8 latest score, lol.

I still cannot find the reason why they play Rohit Sharma for, has a very vulnerable technique, don't remember the last time he scored some runs in tests. This is not fair, playing him.

Last edited:
yeh to lol ho gya, India was playing so well throughout the game.
88/8 latest score, lol.

Rehane is the only hope for india right now, still 85 runs required with only 2 wickets in hand. Looks impossible though as the ball is spinning a lot and SL spinners have taken the bull by its horns..

Rehane is the only hope for india right now, still 85 runs required with only 2 wickets in hand. Looks impossible though as the ball is spinning a lot and SL spinners have taken the bull by its horns..
This is what you would call complicating things for yourself, Srilanka favorites from here for sure.

This is what you would call complicating things for yourself, Srilanka favorites from here for sure.

Match is done and dusted, Rehane gone. SL need just one wicket with ind still 64 runs behind.

Out, kya bat hai. India throws this one away.

Herath seven razes India for 112 | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

After having made 300 look like 150 against Pakistan recently, Sri Lanka were back to their ways of making targets of under-200 look like 350-plus by choking the life out of India's chase. Their bowlers had failed to build any pressure in the first innings, but on the fourth day, with the win a possibility, they hardly released it. India needed 153 to win with nine wickets in hand at the start of the day, Rangana Herath and Tharindu Kaushal bowled them to a sensational win. Not counting the forfeiture of The Oval Test in 2006, this 192 was the eight-highest first-innings turned around into a Test win.
Dropped in the last match and lacking the bite in the first innings, Herath put more body into the ball, bowled hardly a bad ball in 21 overs, went past Bishan Bedi to become the third-most successful left-arm spinner in Test history, and registered the second-best figures in Galle. This was a return to what Sri Lanka do really well: runs to play with, in-and-out fields so they are both attacking and defending at the same time, and their spinners landing everything on a penny.

The Galle International Stadium is an open venue with few stands in a sparsely populated city, but India would have felt there was no air to breathe on the fourth day. A day earlier they were almost certain of a win, but a turnaround began their inexplicable resistance to DRS and an excellent counterattack by Dinesh Chandimal. If that turnaround was unexpected, on the final day it was predictable that Sri Lanka would make India work hard for every run on a turning pitch. Eventually India did not work hard enough, in terms of applying themselves technically, folding for their lowest total against Sri Lanka.

Working extremely hard was a 37-year-old portly spinner, fighting sore knees and a dodgy back, realising he needed to spin the ball harder to make a helpful pitch respond to him. And he did so emphatically. Having taken out KL Rahul on day three, Herath removed nightwatchman Ishant Sharma with the first ball he bowled in the morning. In an 18-over spell that followed, either side of lunch, he bowled just two half-volleys, one short ball and taking six wickets for just 35 runs. In the face of Herath's unerring accuracy, the India batsmen seemed to overplay the threat of the arm ball, either staying leg side of the ball or pushing out in front of the pad.

Herath still managed to produce a wicket each of four kinds: Ishant Sharma was out lbw although he might have been hit outside the line, Rohit Sharma was bowled staying beside the line of the ball, Wriddhiman Saha was stumped when beaten by one that dipped on him and ripped past him, Harbhajan Singh sensationally caught pad-bat, R Ashwin caught at mid-on in a desperate attempt to break the shackles, and finally Ajinkya Rahane through an edge to slip to end India's final resistance.

Credit was also due to Dhammika Prasad and Nuwan Pradeep, who tested the overnight batsmen thoroughly. Ishant, the nightwatchman, was dropped at second slip in Pradeep's first over, but Pradeep's bigger impact was in beating the first-innings centurion Shikhar Dhawan outside off on three occasions with balls that held their line.

Dhawan, batting with a bruised hand, went to discipline over bravado. With Ishant as the other batsman, runs hardly came. Dhawan was exemplary in avoiding temptation, taking 36 balls to add to his overnight score of 13. Anything wide outside off Dhawan didn't go after, and the quicks didn't offer him anything on the pads. Dhawan was in a way the rock of the collapsing innings, but there could be a counter argument to playing yourself into a shell.

After Herath got rid of Ishant with his first ball of the day, Rohit didn't get to face a bowler other than Herath. It can be argued that had Dhawan been more urgent he could have possibly opened up the easier end for Rohit. That, though, is no excuse for having your front foot outside leg when playing a forward-defensive to a ball pitched middle and turning to off. Nor does it absolve Virat Kohli, still looking for a win as a captain, of a rookie mistake of playing an offbreak well in front of his body with hard hands. When he did that to the last ball of the first over bowled by Tharindu Kaushal, he offered Kaushal Silva a sharp catch at short leg, and gave the error-prone Kaushal just the start he needed.

At 45 for 4, the pressure became unbearable for India. Even though Ajinkya Rahane looked solid and India still needed only 122, Dhawan became edgy after all the hard work in the first hour. In the 20th over the day, he shaped up to reverse-sweep Kaushal, saw the ball was not there, looked for a regulation sweep, and in the end patted it back. The next ball he managed a leading edge on a leg-side half-volley to give Kaushal a sharp return catch. That is the risk you always run when you defend for so long without scoring many runs.

India's last recognised pair was in with 116 still required. And Herath was in no mood to offer easy runs. Even when Rahane got shots away, the trademark Sri Lankan in-and-out field meant he didn't get boundaries. And then Herath produced a gem for Saha, dragging him out with a flighted delivery, and getting it to turn and bounce alarmingly. Dinesh Chandimal, the man responsible for making India bat again, made a good rib-high collection and stumped Saha.

The best piece of fielding, though, was reserved for the last wicket of the first session, a wicket that betrayed India's muddled thinking. When Harbhajan was promoted ahead of Ashwin, you would have thought he would have been asked to pinch-hit and see if India could knock Sri Lanka off their rhythm. Harbhajan, though, failed to play a shot in anger and was caught superbly diving forward by Silva off a tame forward-defensive.

After lunch Ashwin tried to do what Harbhajan should have done, but fell to an unusually wide mid-on, another example of how it seems there are more than 11 fielders on the field when you are struggling. Rahane and Amit Mishra then added 21 in what was not only the highest but the most assured partnership of the innings. Herath finally got one on target to turn and take Rahane's edge, and with 74 runs still required it was only going to be a matter of time.

Osman Samiuddin is by far the best contemporary cricket writer we have from Pakistan
I agree, he has been doing a good job writing for Cricinfo. I have read this piece in particular before.

"In the press box I turned to Shahid Hashmi, the AFP sports stringer for Pakistan, and we both silently acknowledged a possibility. We did it knowingly, but without knowing precisely what we were being knowing about...."
There is a sense of peculiarity, i think a very attached fan like myself and you can too feel such undefined moments. For example the South African tour, where we won the ODI series, i hope you guy's remember it, there was just a sense of belief, a sense of giving everything in your heart; even so the game looked like it was in South Africa's hands, AB playing like a beast that he does, Saeed Ajmal plays his magic, get crucial wicket at crucial times, him with Afridi and Hafeez, at the time they were known for containing runs in the middle part of the innings, they kept the hopes alive. If memory serves me right(talking about the second ODI) Saeed Ajmal bowled the second last over, a beautiful over, contained them. Last over to Junaid Khan, the best of yorker you would ever see, down to last bowl and till the match ended i could not believe my eyes, as to what i had witnessed, it was beyond interpretation.....
Then there is recent game vs Srilanka(3rd test match, another one of those cornered tiger moments) , or take world cup game vs South Africa, who in the world could have thought that we would defend 221(if i am correct). That spell from all bowlers, it was a team effort, you know some wickets fell in a hurry, Miller got out, and i could sense it, i could sense it, man we have got this.
This the beauty of Pakistan Cricket, this is a tradition of never giving up and never back down and i hope it continues down to generations to come....

“See this is the tradition of Sharjah. Twenty-five runs are needed and [Abdul] Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood come and take four wickets, three wickets, or Wasim Akram comes on and puts in a spell … this is a tradition we keep alive.”
That superb display of reverse swing, my word. My word, what a game, who could have thought.
"There is music, not heard but felt, a beat somewhere in the background, rising, unrelenting..."
So ravishing.
“You put your right foot here, left foot there, unfold your hands and stand ready for a catch. The ball will come right into your hands and you just grab it.” Next ball the last remaining English hope Johnny Wardle prodded Fazal’s leg-cutter straight to Shujauddin, who didn’t need to move."
This sense of belief is beyond my understanding, seems like he knew what the Batsmen was going to do...what devilry is this?
@Aether , your thoughts....
@Arsalan , feel free to share your thoughts, refer to the article posted.

Last edited:
An interesting stat:
Most wickets obtained by clean bowling a batsman in ODIs.
Pakistanis 1st, 2nd and 4th on the list.

11924764_10153446664591041_903641833591346039_n.jpg

Since 2012, Bangladeshi test opening pair Tamim Iqbal and Imrul kayes has highest opening partnership average among all opening pairs ( At least 5 innings)
They scored 784 runs in 10 innings with average of 87.11
12-000_Del6368249.jpg

Your thoughts?
ICC: Salman Butt and Muhammad Asif can resume cricket from September 1 | The News Teller
ICC being to lenient on Slaman Butt and Asif, good to see PCB responding and giving clear comments that they will not be made a part of the team any time soon.
If Amir does well in domestic T20 he might get selected for Zimbabwe series :yahoo::victory:
While we are at it, what say you guys to the art that Asif possessed, it is such a shame to see him wasting his gifts. He made the ball sign, not only talk. What a shame.
@Aether ,@Winchester ,@Jazzbot ......

You do not want to hit the ball too far away, lol.@Jazzbot ,@Winchester....

11902424_10153461706496041_5844687593958975035_n.jpg

A game of cricket being played in the beautiful Hunza Valley

Packed schedule.
11953076_10153461353591041_4948132059612732371_n.jpg

Last edited:
An interesting stat:
Most wickets obtained by clean bowling a batsman in ODIs.
Pakistanis 1st, 2nd and 4th on the list.

11924764_10153446664591041_903641833591346039_n.jpg

I can understand waqar and wasim, but Lala,
And where is Kaptaan

Your thoughts?
ICC: Salman Butt and Muhammad Asif can resume cricket from September 1 | The News Teller
ICC being to lenient on Slaman Butt and Asif, good to see PCB responding and giving clear comments that they will not be made a part of the team any time soon.
If Amir does well in domestic T20 he might get selected for Zimbabwe series :yahoo::victory:
While we are at it, what say you guys to the art that Asif possessed, it is such a shame to see him wasting his gifts. He made the ball sign, not only talk. What a shame.
@Aether ,@Winchester ,@Jazzbot ......

A big no for Salman and Asif, they were so arrogant to accept their role in match fixing scandal and battled it till the end. When they were punished, only then Salman accepted his wrong doings. Asif still hasn't apologized to public or regretted his wrong doings.

PCB should keep Butt & Asif away from National Team..

I can understand waqar and wasim, but Lala,
And where is Kaptaan

I'm more surprised about Shoaib Akhtar, don't know why he isn't in the list. He had very high percentage of clean bowling the batsmen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom