What's new

General Cricket thread

You do not want to hit the ball too far away, lol.@Jazzbot ,@Winchester....

11902424_10153461706496041_5844687593958975035_n.jpg

A game of cricket being played in the beautiful Hunza Valley

Packed schedule.
11953076_10153461353591041_4948132059612732371_n.jpg

Whats it like playing cricket at this altitude???
For Dec it was the Indian series that Najam Sethi promised in exchange for the big 3 vote

Whats it like playing cricket at this altitude???
Tiring like hell, plus, if you hit a short towards the cover area, say goodbye to your ball.
For Dec it was the Indian series that Najam Sethi promised in exchange for the big 3 vote
Canceled unfortunately, England series should be good.

Tiring like hell, plus, if you hit a short towards the cover area, say goodbye to your ball.

Canceled unfortunately, England series should be good.

Yes but the real test would be in 2016

Buhat bura phainta na par jae :p:

I am quite confident, we are doing well in T20's and in general, i think we will play professional Cricket, but one can never know.

The test matches on those tours will define our year
I see Pakistan competing but not winning in England, New Zealand or Australia

But yeah lets see !

The test matches on those tours will define our year
If we emerge in Test Cricket, for years we will play professional Cricket, mark my words....
I agree we will compete a lot. I don't see why can't we win, i am quite confident in the likes of Azhar and Sarfaraz(Let's not forget Younus and Misbah and Haris Sohail) to survive in England and Australia, bowler have usually done well. I am quite optimistic, lets hope for the best.

Guys PSL news here, @Devil Soul ,@ghazi52 ......Thank you, and tag.........

Pakistan Super League to employ NFL-like draft system for player recruitment
951316-image-1441471599-388-640x480.JPG

Young players will not only benefit from exposure to international stars but will also earn several times more than what they usually do in domestic events. PHOTO: APP

KARACHI: After reports emerged that several international stars are interested in the Pakistan Super League (PSL),The Express Tribune has learnt that a draft system will be used for player recruitment rather than the auctions deployed by the Indian Premier League.

There is also some good news for local players as they are likely to earn big during the 21-day event that will start from February 4. Young domestic players, placed in the emerging category, are in line to earn between $15,000 and $20,000 when they line up for the five franchises in Doha, Qatar.

A total of 70 international players from nine Test-playing countries and 17 international coaches — several boasting impressive World Cup and T20 league pedigree — will be shortlisted soon.

In the opening edition, each side will feature 12 Pakistan players and four foreign ones.

Players to be picked through a draft system

The players signing up for the first PSL edition in Doha would be bought by the franchises through a draft process for player induction; similar to what is in place in American National Football League (NFL).

The draft system was introduced in the NFL in 1936 and has been successfully deployed as an alternate to auctioning players.

Players will be divided across five categories — Platinum, Diamond, Gold, Silver, and Emerging. A ballot will decide which team gets to pick the first player, with a specific number of players up for grabs from each category.

The player auction system has never been implemented in Pakistan and in an effort to keep a check on the spending; the much safer and balanced draft system is being used.

Bangladesh, SL leagues highlight pitfalls

The PSL team — under the chairmanship of PCB executive committee head Najam Sethi and seasoned banker Salman Sarwar Butt — has vowed to deliver ‘the biggest and most exciting product in Pakistan’s history’.

Their detractors though are not yet convinced. In recent years, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka both dabbled in T20 leagues of their own but failed to sustain the tournaments due to inept management and financial corruption.

The opening edition of the PSL thus has a lot to prove, especially in terms of the viability of such an event in Pakistani economics.

A successful PSL can revolutionise sports in Pakistan; the series is set to introduce the franchise system to investors in the country. For at least the first version, the franchises have been told their spending on playing and coaching staff cannot exceed $1 million.

The franchises have also been offered a share out of PCB’s revenue streams. This includes money from broadcasting rights, sponsorship rights, shirt sales, and ticket sales. Additionally, each franchise will have the option of selling its own sponsorship rights including shirt logos.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 6th, 2015.

PSL would be good to see, good to see PCB taking full measures.....
Pakistan Super League: Pollard, Elliott, Dilshan touted as big signings
@Winchester ,@Jazzbot ......

Guys PSL news here, @Devil Soul ,@ghazi52 ......Thank you, and tag.........

Pakistan Super League to employ NFL-like draft system for player recruitment
951316-image-1441471599-388-640x480.JPG

Young players will not only benefit from exposure to international stars but will also earn several times more than what they usually do in domestic events. PHOTO: APP

KARACHI: After reports emerged that several international stars are interested in the Pakistan Super League (PSL),The Express Tribune has learnt that a draft system will be used for player recruitment rather than the auctions deployed by the Indian Premier League.

There is also some good news for local players as they are likely to earn big during the 21-day event that will start from February 4. Young domestic players, placed in the emerging category, are in line to earn between $15,000 and $20,000 when they line up for the five franchises in Doha, Qatar.

A total of 70 international players from nine Test-playing countries and 17 international coaches — several boasting impressive World Cup and T20 league pedigree — will be shortlisted soon.

In the opening edition, each side will feature 12 Pakistan players and four foreign ones.

Players to be picked through a draft system

The players signing up for the first PSL edition in Doha would be bought by the franchises through a draft process for player induction; similar to what is in place in American National Football League (NFL).

The draft system was introduced in the NFL in 1936 and has been successfully deployed as an alternate to auctioning players.

Players will be divided across five categories — Platinum, Diamond, Gold, Silver, and Emerging. A ballot will decide which team gets to pick the first player, with a specific number of players up for grabs from each category.

The player auction system has never been implemented in Pakistan and in an effort to keep a check on the spending; the much safer and balanced draft system is being used.

Bangladesh, SL leagues highlight pitfalls

The PSL team — under the chairmanship of PCB executive committee head Najam Sethi and seasoned banker Salman Sarwar Butt — has vowed to deliver ‘the biggest and most exciting product in Pakistan’s history’.

Their detractors though are not yet convinced. In recent years, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka both dabbled in T20 leagues of their own but failed to sustain the tournaments due to inept management and financial corruption.

The opening edition of the PSL thus has a lot to prove, especially in terms of the viability of such an event in Pakistani economics.

A successful PSL can revolutionise sports in Pakistan; the series is set to introduce the franchise system to investors in the country. For at least the first version, the franchises have been told their spending on playing and coaching staff cannot exceed $1 million.

The franchises have also been offered a share out of PCB’s revenue streams. This includes money from broadcasting rights, sponsorship rights, shirt sales, and ticket sales. Additionally, each franchise will have the option of selling its own sponsorship rights including shirt logos.

Published in The Express Tribune, September 6th, 2015.

PSL would be good to see, good to see PCB taking full measures.....
Pakistan Super League: Pollard, Elliott, Dilshan touted as big signings
@Winchester ,@Jazzbot ......

I don't know man Qatar has just about 80-90k Pakistanis and almost all of them from the labor class.

To expect them to come to the stadium every day for 2 weeks is a bit too much so you will most likely see empty or half filled stadiums for most of the tournament.

The irony is that you can only fill the grounds if Indians living in Qatar join in the fun too but that is highly unlikely.

Plus i was going through a cricket forum and they posted about the pitch being dry and slow meaning we won't see exciting cricket just low scoring games.

Maybe its the pessimist Pakistani in me but U.A.E was perfect for this but Najam Sethi and Co. messed this up for Pakistan cricket.

I don't know man Qatar has just about 80-90k Pakistanis and almost all of them from the labor class.

To expect them to come to the stadium every day for 2 weeks is a bit too much so you will most likely see empty or half filled stadiums for most of the tournament.

The irony is that you can only fill the grounds if Indians living in Qatar join in the fun too but that is highly unlikely.
Qatar is quite good, in terms of generating money. No grounds will not be empty and etc, etc... Let's hope for the best, Asians will come.
Maybe its the pessimist Pakistani in me but U.A.E was perfect for this but Najam Sethi and Co. messed this up for Pakistan cricket.
UAE was too expensive, i guess.
Plus i was going through a cricket forum and they posted about the pitch being dry and slow meaning we won't see exciting cricket just low scoring games.
First couple of seasons we need to make it through, survive really. Let's hope for the best.

Amir's technique far superior than Wasim: Ian Pont
954990-mohammadamirx-1441967151-239-640x480.jpg

Pont believes Amir, still just 23, has his best years in front of him. PHOTO: AFP

Former England cricketer and renowned fast-bowling coach Ian Pont has termed Muhammad Amir’s technique to be better than the legend Wasim Akram.

In his blog for PakPassion, Pont said: “Mohammad Amir is quite simply, one of the finest left-arm prospects I have ever seen.

“He has a strong, repeatable action that helps him be consistent in release of the ball. He is biomechanically efficient in other words, which is something that technical coaches purr over.

Pont further added that Amir’s natural action is prone to lesser injuries.

“We are all seeking bowlers who can achieve this as it means a lowering of potential injuries as well as an increase in accuracy and speed. Amir’s pace (around 140 kph/87 mph) is plenty to cause problems and he could be even faster.

“Now, still just 23, he has his best years in front of him. But what makes him such a great bowler is the fact that he has a great strong wrist position – meaning he can shape and swing a cricket ball at pace.”

While drawing comparison between the youngster and the great Wasim, Pont opined that Amir can be as good as the legend himself, even better.

“Clearly parallels will be drawn with Wasim Akram and the fact that Wasim will have mentored Amir at some point is inevitable.

“However, Amir has the potential to be just every bit as good as Wasim in my view. And that’s because he has a far better action than Wasim had. His technique as a fast swing bowler is superior. The only thing it seems that can stop Mohammad Amir is himself.”

The bowling coach also suggested Muhammad Asif how he can be more efficient if he makes a comeback.

“Mohammad Asif is a different animal,” said Pont.

“Firstly he is now 32 and it will be difficult for him to prove himself against the other young quicks who have filled the void in his time away. He could do it, but it will be harder.

He also doesn’t quite posses the same firepower pace as Amir but is able to extract good seam movement from the surface. I always felt watching Asif that if there was something in the pitch he would find it. And in that respect, he is much more of a traditional, seam up, hit the deck type of international bowler in the role of a Caddick, McGrath or Siddle type of bowler.

“I would like to see him gain an extra yard of pace and this would be done by trying to avoid a collapsed/bent front leg and ‘throwing away’ his non-bowling arm too early. As a front on bowler, he would benefit too from a slightly faster run up and better alignment with his arm pull (he pulls the ball sometimes from the leg side). All of these factors would help him hit the bat harder without losing his assets, thus making him a more dangerous bowler.

“I don’t know if he would ever be someone to take on this type of work. Even if he didn’t, he still has great skill levels.”
Amir's technique far superior than Wasim: Ian Pont - The Express Tribune

@Winchester ......
Somewhat agree with him, considering back in the days when he was basically 17 his rhythm was his greatest strength, so fluent, all in one motion, something fast bowlers die for really. Really liked him, shame he got into troubles, he surely was the next Wasim(i agree no one can be in the same league as him), for me he Amir was very exciting, let's hope for the best.

Amir's technique far superior than Wasim: Ian Pont
954990-mohammadamirx-1441967151-239-640x480.jpg

Pont believes Amir, still just 23, has his best years in front of him. PHOTO: AFP

Former England cricketer and renowned fast-bowling coach Ian Pont has termed Muhammad Amir’s technique to be better than the legend Wasim Akram.

In his blog for PakPassion, Pont said: “Mohammad Amir is quite simply, one of the finest left-arm prospects I have ever seen.

“He has a strong, repeatable action that helps him be consistent in release of the ball. He is biomechanically efficient in other words, which is something that technical coaches purr over.

Pont further added that Amir’s natural action is prone to lesser injuries.

“We are all seeking bowlers who can achieve this as it means a lowering of potential injuries as well as an increase in accuracy and speed. Amir’s pace (around 140 kph/87 mph) is plenty to cause problems and he could be even faster.

“Now, still just 23, he has his best years in front of him. But what makes him such a great bowler is the fact that he has a great strong wrist position – meaning he can shape and swing a cricket ball at pace.”

While drawing comparison between the youngster and the great Wasim, Pont opined that Amir can be as good as the legend himself, even better.

“Clearly parallels will be drawn with Wasim Akram and the fact that Wasim will have mentored Amir at some point is inevitable.

“However, Amir has the potential to be just every bit as good as Wasim in my view. And that’s because he has a far better action than Wasim had. His technique as a fast swing bowler is superior. The only thing it seems that can stop Mohammad Amir is himself.”

The bowling coach also suggested Muhammad Asif how he can be more efficient if he makes a comeback.

“Mohammad Asif is a different animal,” said Pont.

“Firstly he is now 32 and it will be difficult for him to prove himself against the other young quicks who have filled the void in his time away. He could do it, but it will be harder.

He also doesn’t quite posses the same firepower pace as Amir but is able to extract good seam movement from the surface. I always felt watching Asif that if there was something in the pitch he would find it. And in that respect, he is much more of a traditional, seam up, hit the deck type of international bowler in the role of a Caddick, McGrath or Siddle type of bowler.

“I would like to see him gain an extra yard of pace and this would be done by trying to avoid a collapsed/bent front leg and ‘throwing away’ his non-bowling arm too early. As a front on bowler, he would benefit too from a slightly faster run up and better alignment with his arm pull (he pulls the ball sometimes from the leg side). All of these factors would help him hit the bat harder without losing his assets, thus making him a more dangerous bowler.

“I don’t know if he would ever be someone to take on this type of work. Even if he didn’t, he still has great skill levels.”
Amir's technique far superior than Wasim: Ian Pont - The Express Tribune

@Winchester ......
Somewhat agree with him, considering back in the days when he was basically 17 his rhythm was his greatest strength, so fluent, all in one motion, something fast bowlers die for really. Really liked him, shame he got into troubles, he surely was the next Wasim(i agree no one can be in the same league as him), for me he Amir was very exciting, let's hope for the best.
Need to ease him back....no rush

If we play it smart...can get at least 10 years from him.

If anything good came from that 5 year ban it was the fact that with the amount of work load he was carrying at such a young age he would have surely broken down.....so potentially he was saved from a very serious back injury.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom