What's new

French fighter jet disappears near Swiss border; likely crashed.

Cell_DbZ

Reaction score
Country
Belgium
French fighter jet disappears near Swiss border

JAN 9, 2019 - 16:28

fighter-jet.jpg

The Mirage 2000 is a single-engine fourth-generation jet fighter designed in the late 1970s as a lightweight fighter to replace the Mirage III for the French Air Force.
A French fighter plane carrying two pilots has disappeared from radar in the Jura mountains on the French-Swiss border.

The Mirage 2000 took off on Wednesday for a training exercise from Nancy-Ochey military airport in north-eastern France with two crew members, according to the Doubs regional authorities.

A French air force spokeswoman said the aircraft was last sighted over a snow-covered mountainous area between the regions of Haut-Doubs and Haut-Jura near Geneva shortly after 11am.

The Jura Gendarmerie said on its Facebook pageexternal link that the plane had been flying over the Jura mountains between Mouthe and Mignovillard in France, and the Swiss border.

Since then, there has been no contact with the two crew members, a man and a woman, and an active search is underway. The operation in this mountainous area is complicated by snowfall and poor visibility.

The Mirage 2000 “was unarmed and did not have an additional fuel tank”, according to the Doubs authorities.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/french-fighter-jet-disappears-near-swiss-border/44668952

@Vergennes @Nilgiri I hope the best for the pilots, but this doesn't look good...

fighter-jet.jpg

The Mirage 2000 is a single-engine fourth-generation jet fighter designed in the late 1970s as a lightweight fighter to replace the Mirage III for the French Air Force.
A French fighter plane carrying two pilots has disappeared from radar in the Jura mountains on the French-Swiss border.

The Mirage 2000 took off on Wednesday for a training exercise from Nancy-Ochey military airport in north-eastern France with two crew members, according to the Doubs regional authorities.

A French air force spokeswoman said the aircraft was last sighted over a snow-covered mountainous area between the regions of Haut-Doubs and Haut-Jura near Geneva shortly after 11am.

The Jura Gendarmerie said on its Facebook pageexternal link that the plane had been flying over the Jura mountains between Mouthe and Mignovillard in France, and the Swiss border.

Since then, there has been no contact with the two crew members, a man and a woman, and an active search is underway. The operation in this mountainous area is complicated by snowfall and poor visibility.

The Mirage 2000 “was unarmed and did not have an additional fuel tank”, according to the Doubs authorities.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/french-fighter-jet-disappears-near-swiss-border/44668952

@Vergennes @Nilgiri I hope the best for the pilots, but this doesn't look good...

That doesn't look good indeed. Some parts of the aircraft and a parachute were found,but still nothing about the pilots. Search and Rescue efforts are complicated by the snowfall and the poor visibility as stated above. Citizens reported they heard an explosion....

Rafale was supposed to replace Mirage 2000 but it never did. Modern jets like F-22, Su-35, Rafale, Eurofighter are too expensive. That's why F-22 never replaced F-15, Rafale never replaced Mirage 2000, Eurofighter never replaced Tornado, Su-35 never replaced Su-27.

what is this ? and why is this here ?

Thread derailment on potential casualties news post number 2 @waz @Dubious

fighter-jet.jpg

Yes it doesn't look good my friend. Hope for the best and my prayers with these pilots.

Thread derailment on potential casualties news post number 2 @waz @Dubious

Yes it doesn't look good my friend. Hope for the best and my prayers with these pilots.
I hope our pilots will be found very quickly.

fighter-jet.jpg

Sadly,it's been confirmed the two pilots died. The pilots were named as Baptiste Chirié and Audrey Michelon. May they RIP.

Can i just ask, how do you 'lose' a jet fighter?

If I lose my phone I can find it with iCloud, even if the battery dies.

Don't they have transponders and GPS and radio and satellite links etc. with 24/7 monitoring and management.

Back
Top Bottom