What's new

French Avionics for JF-17

Western avionics are still far superior to Chinese and therefore should be acquired.
I think 'far' is not the right word... what Chinese are not ready with was suitable BVR, sd-10 seems bit too heavy for a lighter plane like JF-17 and could be the compelling factor in this deal.
Specs. for Chinese AESA are not known yet but i think french AESA would certainly be more suitable for JF-17, again due to its limitations of being smaller and light weight fighter.

Any way overall it is a good news bit expensive though. :cheers:

China supplies the world with PC , touch screens and other UI devices , so why are western avionics better ....no logic ...

China is expert in avionics now:china:

Chinese have made remarkable progress in avionics and other military tech in the last ten years or so. One thing to note is the PAF never lowered their requirements but Chinese still fulfilled them. Thia was confirmed by jf-17's former project director AVM Shahid Latif. The huge R&D budgets allocated on yearly basis in China are more than any country in the world as of now. The history remind us that french company Sagem offered a glass cockpit for jf-17 back in 2004 with appropriate avionics package but PAF was reluctant to go for it because of price. Here, Chinese friends came up with an offer that PAF could not refuse. The offer was not only for high quality avionics made in China along with glass cockpit, but also with an advanced, multimode pulse doppler radar. This was the reason why Grifo s7 and sagem avionics package was not chosen in the first place.
The key part is that the requirements were NEVER lowered but Chinese kept their innovation style and incorporated a unified, advanced modular mission computer, robust multimode radar compatible with most western and all Chinese/Pakistani weapons, high performing EW equipment (i gave the article in JF-17 thread) and self protection systems and a mystery system i.e. focus interference system.
When i asked my contact about this "focus interference system", he gave me a meaningful smile. After that, i am sure that this fighter has a lot to surprise the enemy. Now, about the current french avionic offer, it is clear that PAF wanted top of the line stuff from french and italians, if they fail to do so, we always have our own brain pool coupled with Chinese Friends. But trust me guys, we will never know this stuff on internet forums!!

This pic was released by Chinese media well before the 4th prototype flew. The resemblance with 04 is remarkable as most of these features were incorporated later in the fighter.

3c45f07111a4f141b229238b2c2a177d.jpg

Chinese have made remarkable progress in avionics and other military tech in the last ten years or so. One thing to note is the PAF never lowered their requirements but Chinese still fulfilled them. Thia was confirmed by jf-17's former project director AVM Shahid Latif. The huge R&D budgets allocated on yearly basis in China are more than any country in the world as of now. The history remind us that french company Sagem offered a glass cockpit for jf-17 back in 2004 with appropriate avionics package but PAF was reluctant to go for it because of price. Here, Chinese friends came up with an offer that PAF could not refuse. The offer was not only for high quality avionics made in China along with glass cockpit, but also with an advanced, multimode pulse doppler radar. This was the reason why Grifo s7 and sagem avionics package was not chosen in the first place.
The key part is that the requirements were NEVER lowered but Chinese kept their innovation style and incorporated a unified, advanced modular mission computer, robust multimode radar compatible with most western and all Chinese/Pakistani weapons, high performing EW equipment (i gave the article in JF-17 thread) and self protection systems and a mystery system i.e. focus interference system.
When i asked my contact about this "focus interference system
", he gave me a meaningful smile. After that, i am sure that this fighter has a lot to surprise the enemy. Now, about the current french avionic offer, it is clear that PAF wanted top of the line stuff from french and italians, if they fail to do so, we always have our own brain pool coupled with Chinese Friends. But trust me guys, we will never know this stuff on internet forums!!

I talked to a squadron leader recently and he said the same thing about a mystery system which was extremely lethal. He didnt go in to detail of its spec but assured me that it was extremely lethal and will make the IAF think twice. I agree with PAF's policy of secrecy regarding its most prized assets, its something the Israeli Air Force also follows and it has a lot of advantages. Another thing i learned are the capabilities of our Erieyes and the capabilities that our future Chinese AWACS will have, not something you learn online.

The difference says it all as we see in both cockpit proposals. Sagem stated that there was not enough room in the cockpit to go for three large MFDs and the Chinese did it with ease. Notice the center display in Sagem cockpit and in the Chinese one.

This was the proposed cockpit for the jf-17 by Sagem of France

c2f9221761ff50922a3855a1efff4fb1.jpg

This is the REAL DEAL today!!!!

08851ed3cf6a64ffe1a91e0a5dab0645.jpg

Chinese have made remarkable progress in avionics and other military tech in the last ten years or so

Nabil,

This is quite true. Chinese have made tremendous progress in not just avionics but everything. however, one must realize that avioncs is not just one thing but a combination of lots of things. Its possible they have reached western latest products in some but lack in other. So PAF could got for those products from western sources.

In my opinion, its mainly the mission computer and MICA (and subsequent Meteor) missiles that PAF is after, hence the french avioncs. Having Mica on KLJ-7 would have been a problem.

When i asked my contact about this "focus interference system", he gave me a meaningful smile. After that, i am sure that this fighter has a lot to surprise the enemy. Now, about the current french avionic offer, it is clear that PAF wanted top of the line stuff from french and italians, if they fail to do so, we always have our own brain pool coupled with Chinese Friends. But trust me guys, we will never know this stuff on internet forums!!

Oh! nooooooo!!:woot:.... not the dreaded "focus interference system" whatever will we do....

nabil_05 - If ya can't back it up...zip it!!

^^ Why are you suddenly throwing fits? It's a discussion forum so please let everyone express their opinions, thoughts and wisdom freely. Whether that can/cannot be backed with a source shouldn't really matter. It's a discussion after all. Either contribute or don't, but don't tell others to shut it. One it isn't polite and two it also goes against freedom of expression.

Agreed,

The french are greedy as they are looking for a bundle deal comprising radar, avionics and weapons but it should be fine if it fulfill PAF's requirements.

Regarding the focus interference system, my limited knowledge suggests that it is a system that can disrupt the incoming missile's signal by focusing the energy beam towards the incoming threat and break the missile lock.

@Death by Chocolate

The article was written by a Chinese Test Pilot and appreciated by many Chinese Senior forum members such as Crobato, Tphuang, etc. Your reaction though, is very much understandable to me.

An aircraft having defeated F-16s in air to air combat during training missions, whose pilots have been transferred from the F-16s, pilots who are not willing to go back to the F-16s, deserves more then to be ranked then just a trainer.

Hey TaimiKhan, Do you have an article to this?I am very interested to read about the F-16 fighters desire for the JF-17!

^^ Why are you suddenly throwing fits? It's a discussion forum so please let everyone express their opinions, thoughts and wisdom freely. Whether that can/cannot be backed with a source shouldn't really matter. It's a discussion after all. Either contribute or don't, but don't tell others to shut it. One it isn't polite and two it also goes against freedom of expression.

.. cause nabil-05 ruined a good post by mentioning the focus interference thingy majiggy..

Everyone is entitled to believe what he wants to. I only say things that i have knowledge of and do not make them up. The problem is that Pakistani Military developments are not publicized as is done in other parts of the world. Believe it or leave it. No need to get emotional on it.

Everyone is entitled to believe what he wants to. I only say things that i have knowledge of and do not make them up. The problem is that Pakistani Military developments are not publicized as is done in other parts of the world. Believe it or leave it. No need to get emotional on it.

Someone posted a very interesting video on the Israeli Merkavah tank 'God's chariot' on PDF you should watch it. The Israeli's were so proud of their technology they published details of the tank on the internet; this information was later used by the Hezbollah to destroy several tanks and stop Israeli thrust into Lebanon.

Do you see where I’m going with this? It is best for something’s to be kept secret for your enemies to discover in the heat of battle.

In addition, members are free to express their opinion but facts must be independently verifiable (public domain).

Last edited:
In addition, members are free to express their opinion but facts must be independently verifiable (public domain).

Who says so? Just because you disagree with someone's view doesn't necessarily mean that it's true or untrue. Besides, I haven't heard nabil mentioning that the focus interference system is based on facts as you're suggesting. He clearly mentioned a third person therefore you cannot hold him responsible in my opinion. Please distinguish between facts and word of mouth.

PS. One word of advice, please get used to hearing and reading other opinions. Even the ones that you disagree with. Not everyone can have the same opinion like yours or mine.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom