What's new

French Avionics for JF-17

As i see it, the type-90/ AlKhalid route seems very likely in jf-17's case. Chinese frame coupled with western/indigenous avionics, radar,EW and weapons

Yeah that has been the notion from day one, even when it was being designed this chinese western combination was thought about.

Even i believe they have kept extra space if somehow a bigger engine is to put into it, which the JF-17 can easily accommodate without any redesigning. It has not been built around the RD-93 engine alone. Same with AK, where 1 meter extra space has been left, so that in case it has to get a western engine, it can easily be fitted without any redesign.

This is cool thinking by our armed forces manufacturing section. Both PAF and PA have shown that in their critical projects.

i also red that Paf may buy A-Darter short range air to air 5th generation missile from Denel aerospace of South Africa to equip
jf-17's:mod:

There is a high probability that A darter is actually in Chinese hands now under the designation of PL-ASR.

The current radar version that PAF is interested in is the French RC-400-5 series with a 500W transmitter which is increased from the basic 400W as per PAF requirements. Note that even the Grifo S transmitter was initially 400W and was only increased to 560 when PAF asked them to do so. Grifo S is a capable radar and is still not entirely out of race. All western manufacturers are on their toes now only because China developed a very good radar in the shape of KLJ-7. This has simplified PAF's task a little bit.

As of now, it is a stiff competition as one radar excels in one feature, other in some other one. RC-400 has overall more modes and has a better SAR capability whereas Grifo has higher power and light weight. Ranges wise, the RC-400 is better than both Grifo and KLJ but they all have pretty respectable total search ranges. All have a MTBF of 220+ hours and multi track capability with both SARH and ARH missiles. KLJ has a very good ECCM capability.

... ... The current radar version that PAF is interested in is the French RC-400-5 series with a 500W transmitter which is increased from the basic 400W as per PAF requirements. Note that even the Grifo S transmitter was initially 400W and was only increased to 560 when PAF asked them to do so.

Would it it be more appropriate to say the PAF asked for the RC-400 range to be increased? ...??? ... I am not sure but I am thinking the purpose of increasing power is to have more range? Sure more power per se is not desirable. Or am I missing something?

The negotiations for french avionics are going smoothly and we will soon hear good news. One concern is that French don't want these to be shared with the Chinese, something we heard from the Yanks while Block-52 were coming. As i suspected, Spectra and radar cancellation (might be a downgraded version of the Rafale one) is included in the package for 50-100 aircraft (jf-17). There will be a specialized variant of jf-17 with enhanced capability in all hemispheres. PAF is pushing hard and we might hear good news soon. NAVY is also considering a squadron of dedicated attack variants of thunders equipped with Exocet.

It seems that after the failure in securing an order for Rafale, they are willing to sell some of its sub systems at a relatively high cost. Their defense sails have decreased dramatically in the last few years. Hence, we might witness a change in their traditional attitude. What ever the case maybe, we have to capitalize on this situation.

There is a high probability that A darter is actually in Chinese hands now under the designation of PL-ASR.
China attempts to copy South African weapons now

China has had a number of dealings with South African weapons manufacturers over the past decade, most of which have not resulted in actual weapons purchases. However, several recent China-made military technologies bear suspicious resemblances to their South African counterparts.

In 2008, China acquired a fourth-generation air-to-air missile equipped with a thrust-vector control engine. The PL-10, or PL-ASR, is comparable to the U.S.-made AIM-9X air-to-air missile, or AAM.

According to a representative from the South African Denel Group, the PL-ASR is almost a replica of its A-Darter AAM. The Denel representative told the author during an interview in Cape Town that the Chinese had contacted the company in 2001 to explore the possibility of importing fifth-generation A-Darter infrared-guided AAMs, which included a TVC propulsion system and pilot helmet-mounted displays.

In the end, Denel did not sell the technologies to China, which it regards as its key competitor in selling air-to-air missiles on the African market. Company engineers were therefore surprised to find that the Chinese PL-ASR is nearly identical to the A-Darter in exterior structure, tail engine and even the diameter of the missile body.

The company strongly suspects that China reverse-engineered its A-Darter AAM after acquiring its technological materials.

This fits a pattern that China has followed in acquiring military technologies from many sources. When seeking a new technology, China contacts a foreign manufacturer and requests substantial technical information about its product, supposedly with the intent to buy. Instead, Chinese engineers study the materials and imitate the relevant concepts and designs.

Something similar occurred in the course of China’s development of a combat helicopter. In 1996 China and South Africa signed a memorandum to jointly develop a combat helicopter, when China was in the process of building its ZW-10 helicopter...

China attempts to copy South African weapons now

Luoyang PL-ASR/PL-10 High Agility Close Combat Missile

This illustration of the PL-ASR, also labelled the PL-10, emerged on a Chinese internet site during 2008. The weapon is claimed to include a Lock On After Launch (LOAL) capability, suggesting a high performance strapdown inertial midcourse package in the guidance section. The design includes coupled TVC vanes and tail controls to permit over the shoulder shots, intended for use with a Helmet Mounted Sight or Display. Conceptually the missile appears closest to the joint South African - Brazilian Denel A-Darter.

PLA Air to Air Missiles

The negotiations for french avionics are going smoothly and we will soon hear good news. One concern is that French don't want these to be shared with the Chinese, something we heard from the Yanks while Block-52 were coming. As i suspected, Spectra and radar cancellation (might be a downgraded version of the Rafale one) is included in the package for 50-100 aircraft (jf-17). There will be a specialized variant of jf-17 with enhanced capability in all hemispheres. PAF is pushing hard and we might hear good news soon. NAVY is also considering a squadron of dedicated attack variants of thunders equipped with Exocet.
Any source for this?

At the moment, i cannot give any source for this bro. Feel free to dis agree.

At the moment, i cannot give any source for this bro. Feel free to dis agree.
Just interested to get a reliable source of what the package will include, that's why I asked, but yes, I have some doubts about Spectra.
The reason is simple, even if France would offer techs of Rafale to PAF, wouldn't it be the RBE 2 PESA radar? These won't be produced for Rafales for long, because they already got the first F3s which will get RBE 2 AESA from 2012 on.
Also just as you said France may have some doubts if their techs would land in China, so why should they take such a risk exaclty with that part of Rafale, that even the US would like to get in their hands?
No offense, just asking!

its simple.......they need M O N E Y.......i guess you aren't getting into the french economy these days

If you want a RELIABLE source on this development, you will have to wait for a LONG time brother.

If you want a RELIABLE source on this development, you will have to wait for a LONG time brother.

If what you say is true, is it safe to assume Rafale is out of the Indian MRCA contest? :what:

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom