What's new

Four Indians abducted in Libya worked at a university

ISIS' last words before releasing me were 'follow Islam', says Libya detainee | Zee News

Bengaluru: One of the four Indians detained in ISIS-controlled territory in Libya, Vijay Kumar, on Tuesday said that although he was not harmed during his detention, the last statement made by ISIS before releasing him was a request to 'follow Islam'.

"The IS people who took us just asked us if we were Muslims or non-Muslims. Since we were non-Muslims they detained us in camps and they did not do anything. They did not harm me; they did not even touch me or any of the four people," Kumar said.

"They told us since we taught their students they released us but asked us to follow Islam. This was their last statement. I am not going back, this is my final exit. The other two are still under detention," he added.

Kumar further thanked the government for its efforts for his release.

"I would like to thank everyone who is involved in our release; the government and the students," he said.

Two of the four Indians detained in ISIS-controlled territory in Libya have been released, according to the Ministry of External Affairs.

The two men were reportedly detained at a checkpoint about 50 km outside Sirte town on Wednesday while on their way back to India.

They had been working at the Sirte University and have been in Libya for over a year, add reports.

LIBIYA_ABDUCTION_2497811f.jpg

On arrival, Mr. Lakshmikanth boarded a car and left for Raichur. Photo shows Mr. Lakhmikanth's wife Pratibha at Rajiv Gandhi International Airport Hyderabad on Tuesday. Photo: Arunangsu Roy Chowdhury

Professor abducted by IS reaches Hyderabad - The Hindu
Professor Lakshmikanth of Raichur district, who was allegedly abducted by IS militants in Libya and later released, arrived at the Rajiv Gandhi International Airport in Hyderabad on Tuesday.

According to airport sources, Mr. Lakshmikanth was accompanied by an MEA official. On arrival the professor boarded a car and left for Raichur.

Mr. Lakshmikanth along with M.S.Vijaykumar of Kolar district, were working in University of Sirte. They were allegedly abducted while trying to flee the trouble-ridden country and later released. They were taken to the Indian Embassy in Tripoli, who ensured that they boarded Delhi-bound flight from Tunis.

The two Indians still in IS captivity are fine, said Mr. Lakshmikanth.

He said he had been given a special phone number to call to check on them. He said he has been trying to do that and appealed to the media to carry news “with responsibility”.

Good news. Let's hope that the two remaining hostages will be brought home safely and that all other hostages in Libya regardless of nationality will be freed soon.

These people are teachers, not low pay labourers. At some level, things like teaching in a disadvantaged country, or travelling the world by interest must have crossed their minds.

It's not about whether they were poor laborers or even billionaires. It's just that Libya is not safe for any foreigner (Arab as non-Arab) whether they are teachers at universities or construction workers.

My point is, don't travel to war zones if you can avoid it. I am sure that those 4 teachers could have taught students in so many other places of the world, maybe even India itself.

My point is, don't travel to war zones if you can avoid it. I am sure that those 4 teachers could have taught students in so many other places of the world, maybe even India itself.
I got that. I am trying to say these people might have gone there for the kick of visiting a war zone country.

Talks on for securing release of 2 Indian teachers in Libya | Zee News

New Delhi: India is cautiously optimistic about securing release of two Indian teachers, abducted by Islamic State terror group (ISIS) in war-torn Libya eight days ago.

Official sources said the Indian Embassy in Tripoli was in talks with authorities concerned to ensure release of the two Indians. Two other abducted teachers were released by ISIS on August one.

"Talks are going on with authorities concerned and we are cautiously optimistic about their release," a source said.

The sources said severe clashes have erupted between ISIS and supporters of the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi in the Abu Hadi area which is 20 km from Sirte which have complicated the situation.

The teachers were abducted at a checkpoint approximately 50 km from Sirte on July 29 while returning to India via Tripoli and Tunis, an area under the control of ISIS.

PTI

Vijay Kumar, one of the teachers who were kidnapped in Libya allegedly by Islamic State, arrives at Kempegowda International Airport in Bengaluru. His wife can also be seen in the picture.
387704-5-8-2015-d-gh2-o.jpg

Kin of kidnapped Indian teachers in Libya meet PM, Sushma

New Delhi, Aug 10, 2015 (PTI)
494437_thump.jpg

Relatives of two Indian teachers, who were kidnapped by Islamic State terror group (ISIS) in Libya, today called on Prime Minister Narendra Modi and sought the government's help for securing the abductees' release at the earliest.

Four relatives, including the wives of the two Hyderabad- based professors - Gopikrishna and Ch Balram - who are held captive by Islamic State terror group since July 29, also met External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Union Urban Development Minister M Venkaiah Naidu.

"We gave a memorandum to the Prime Minister. He said that the process was on and he will look into the matter. He also said that he will talk to External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj. The Prime Minister asked us to be confident and not to lose hope," Sreedevi, wife of Ch Balram, said after meeting Modi here.

Stressing that her whole family was worried, Sreedevi said she would be thankful to the government if her husband is released at the earliest.

"We are very much worried. We cannot express our worry in words because it is a question of our life.... It is a mental agony for the whole family. We would be thankful to the government if they are released at the earliest," she added.

Sreedevi said that she last spoke to her husband on July 29, who had told her that he along with three others would be starting from Libya and reaching Hyderabad.

However, they were abducted at a checkpoint approximately 50 km from Sirte on July 29 while returning to India via Tripoli and Tunis, an area under the control of ISIS. Of them, two hailing from Karnataka were released later, though the two Hyderabad Professors continue to be hostages.

Kalyani, wife of Gopikrishna, who is one among the kidnapped professors, said that she spoke to her husband last at 5.30 PM on July 29.

He told me that tickets were available for July 31 and they would be reaching Hyderabad on August 1, she added.

Meanwhile, a statement from the Union Urban Development Minister said that Naidu told the relatives that all necessary steps are being taken by the government for the safe release of hostages.

The sources said severe clashes have erupted between ISIS and supporters of the late Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi in the Abu Hadi area which is 20 km from Sirte

great news... hopefully, the green resistance will win and secure the release of the indian teachers.

IS kidnaps two more Indians in Libya

New Delhi: Sep 17, 2015, dhns
Suspected Islamic State (IS) militants have kidnapped two more Indian citizens from Sirte in Libya.
The fresh kidnapping took the number of Indians in the custody of the militants suspected to owe allegiance to Islamic State in Libya to four.

Besides, 40 other Indians, who were kidnapped from Mosul in Iraq in June 2014, are also believed to be in the custody of the militants affiliated to the outfit.

The Embassy of India in Tripoli learnt that Pravash Ranjan Samal and Ramamurthy Kosanam, who hail from Odisha and Andhra Pradesh respectively, had been “taken” from Sirte and “detained”. Both had been working at Ibn-e-Sina in Sirte, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) stated.

The MEA did not specify who kidnapped Samal and Kosanam, but sources in New Delhi stated that militants of Islamic State had detained them.

“Our Mission in Tripoli is making further inquiries for confirmation of the incident and is in touch with the local people, who can help in securing release of the two Indian nationals. The matter has also been taken up at diplomatic level,” Vikas Swarup, official spokesperson of the MEA, stated.

All efforts were being made “to ensure well-being and secure early release” of Indians detained in Libya, he added. The Islamic State militants took control of Sirte a few months back. Earlier, four Indians were kidnapped by IS when they had been trying to return home from the conflict-hit north African country. They were kidnapped from a checkpoint near Sirte.

Two of the kidnapped teachers, Mulbagal Vijaykumar and Lakshmikanth Ramakrishna, who are from Karnataka, however, were released and returned home later. T Gopikrishna and Balram Kishan, who are from Hyderabad, however, have not yet been released.

New Delhi has been trying to secure their release, though it was constrained by limited manpower in the embassy. Most of the embassy officials were shifted from Tripoli to Tunis earlier this year in view of the growing instability in Libya and deteriorating security situation.

Odisha man flees Libyan abductors - The Hindu

One of the two Indians, recently abducted in Sirte in war-torn Libya, has fled from captivity and established contact with his family and friends in Odisha.

Sources in Delhi said Pravash Ranjan Samal, a bio-medical engineer hailing from Odisha, escaped from his captors and conveyed to one of his friends that he was fine.

Samal (48) and Ramamurthy Kosanam, a resident of Andhra Pradesh, were abducted reportedly a few days ago from Ibn-e-Sina in Sirte where they were working.

The sources said efforts are on to secure the release of Mr. Kosanam who was reported to be safe.

In Odisha, family members of Mr. Samal said they received a call from him on Thursday and were told he had been “released.”

Mr. Samal’s elder brother told reporters in Rourkela that Mr. Samal gave his location and pleaded that he be taken home. Mr. Samal hails from Bhagabanpur area in Kendrapara town.

Islamic State abductors did not harm me, my release a miracle: Samal | Zee News

Last Updated: Friday, October 2, 2015 - 18:57

Bhubaneswar: Released from the captivity of abductors in war-torn Libya, Pravas Ranjan Samal on Friday said the militants did not torture him though he was traumatised at every passing moment.

"Suspecting the abductors as members of the ISIS, we were traumatised. Every moment was a moment of uncertainty," said Samal, who reached here accompanied by officers of the Ministry of External Affairs and Intelligence Bureau.

"Now I am Ok. But, when they abducted us, a lot of negative vibes were going on back of my mind. I had heard a lot about cruelty by IS outfit. Still then, I had not stopped hope," said Samal, who was working as a biomedical engineer in a hospital in Sirte in Lybia since 2002.

"Since 2011, we were sensing difficulties in every passing day. But as health workers, we considered ourselves as social workers. We did not expect that the health workers would be target for any terror groups. But one night, some groups came and raided our quarters and asked us to follow them," he said.

Samal, a resident of Kendrapara district, was among the two Indians abuducted by the terror outfit. "We were blindfolded and taken to some undisclosed locations. With me, there was another Indian. We were held captive for about 10 days. I don?t know about the other people who were held captive," Samal said.

On the 10th day, Samal was, however, released with the help of some influential locals. "From there, I reached Tripoli and the Indian Embassy. The Embassy officials made all arrangements to feel me at home and sent me back to Delhi," he said.

While claiming that he feels proud to be an Indian, Samal pointed out that he was given all possible facilities by the officials of the embassy.

"I express my profound gratitude to the Government of India, Prime Minister Narendra Modi, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval and External Affairs minister Sushma Swaraj for their relentless efforts for my safe release," he said.

"Can any one imagine that the great person like Ajit Doval would stand up and hug me like a family member? I have seen happiness on his face over release of an Indian. This is India and its affection towards fellow country men," an emotional Samal said.

Describing his release as a "miracle", Samal thanked the Almighty and did not forget to thank the people of Libya who were equally concerned over his abduction by terror group.

PTI

Back
Top Bottom