What's new

Fortress India

how many Bangladeshi actually living in India is a matter of controversy . india is not like so affluent country that if some people from Bangladesh or ther country goes there will get any job . may be very small number of Bangladeshi working there but that cannot be any excuse of building fence around country defying international law

What international law prevents a fence being built?

I would surely love to be educated.

Fencing border does not concern us... It will just bust the illegal smugglers and a certail portion of economy of Kolkata and bordering area of India as all these region`s economy depends to a certain extant on Bangladesh and smuggling on the border area.

If the fencing does not concern Bangladesh, then why is there this matam emanating from most of the Bangaldeshi posters?

The day India has to depend on Bangladesh to boost her economy, the sun shall rise from the West!

Nothing to convince, contrary to what PDF portrays people would be happy if the fence is done.
May be a national celebration of some sort could be arranged the day it is finished.
It'll be Bangladesh-India friendship fence.

Bangladesh will surely celebrate. It will give them a sense of security!

We are busy rebuilding our economy.

Sorry but Bangladesh after its creation did not see any riots
but in India there were atleast 4-5 state sanctioned riots.
Hipocrisy is not in our bloods, try something else.

Building your economy means the doldrums?

You have had no riots?

Maybe this will help to refresh your delusion and bring it to reality

The Rahman and Hussein regimes (1975-1990)

Return to democracy (1991-present)

Hinduism in Bangladesh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Apart from the above, and the fact that you are so busy squabbling amongst yourself, the oppression done slips your mind.

Heard of the famous centuries old Ramna Kali Bari? Where is it?

From where you got your day dreaming figure... that Kolkata`s living standard is 4 times better then dhaka and delhi is 4 times better then Kolkata means 16 times better then dhaka... means people of delhi lives almost like the people of western world. Come out of your dilution.

Real economy of Bangladesh is much higher as a shadow or not documented economy has emerged in Bangladesh since the time of independence. It represents 48 to 82% of the economy.

Apart from that current economy measured in term of base year of 1995. Now government has taken initiative to make 2005 as the base year. If it is done the gdp figure will get a big boost.

All the NE India and WB in particular has a backward economy compared to bangladesh... In WB industrialization even does not account 10% where as it is 30.3% in Bangladesh. This is just an example. Even today there is a news that many bangladeshis from pakistan are returning to Bangladesh as Bangladesh is more lucrative now...then karachi...

Bangladesh luring back its migrant workers

Come out of your dilution...of heaven like life in the dirt poor India.

So, Afghanistan's best is being consumed in Bangladesh as it staple?

One is not talking about legal migrant workers.

It is the poverty stricken illiterate illegals who are swamping India from Bangladesh.

i wish Pakistan would build a 1,000 foot high and 1,000 foot thick wall on its border with india. that would be lovely. :)

Of course you could.

sadly, your economic conditions does not permit such grandiose dreams.

I might as well remind you that you cannot pay even the interest on your foreign loans and you had to sent a Minister to Saudi Arabia to give money so that you could present a National Budget!!

I have a few questions for you, sir.

- Shouldn't a country about 22 times as large as BD's size have an economy 22 times as large as BD's economy to maintain the same living standard? By saying "difference in economy ... 20 times as large", are you implying India has a lower living standard? You really got me thinking.

- How do you intelligent fellas determine "City X is Y times better than city Z"? The 4x factor sounds intriguing. Is it the amount of garbage lying in the streets of Kolkata/Delhi/mumbai, the number of hobos in your cities or simply an act of "talking purely out of a$$, because I hate you sami!"

I give you a chance to prove your intelligence and make your countrymen proud!

Population is hardly a criteria for economy. In fact it is a negative input.

As far as standard of living, with a larger population there are greater issues and so the equitable distribution becomes an issue. Large populations do not encourage a better standard of living, especially a country that has emerged from colonialism.

If the fencing does not concern Bangladesh, then why is there this matam emanating from most of the Bangaldeshi posters?

The day India has to depend on Bangladesh to boost her economy, the sun shall rise from the West!

Where did you see there is matam among the bangladeshis... No one objected here regarding the fencing. Only Munshi objected and there is valid reason for it as he pointed out it is mostly a military infrastructure then building fence to stop illegal migration.

Do some study on the border region of Bangladesh. At those region economy of certain quarter including that of kolkata depends on illegal trading or smuggling with Bangladesh. With this fence all those markets and economy will be busted.

N regarding dependence on bangladesh your bharti government is begging for transit for the development of NE india and to cool down the region with the assistance from Bangladesh by targeting ULFA.

Your India is more dependent on Bangladesh then the other way around. Seeing you it seems to me the hindi words `Burha pay me sathiya gaye ho kiya`!!! Thinking and remain diluted then India is like heaven and best all the time is not gonna do you any help...

Now hope sun will rise from the west.

Where did you see there is matam among the bangladeshis... No one objected here regarding the fencing. Only Munshi objected and there is valid reason for it as he pointed out it is mostly a military infrastructure then building fence to stop illegal migration.

Do some study on the border region of Bangladesh. At those region economy of certain quarter including that of kolkata depends on illegal trading or smuggling with Bangladesh. With this fence all those markets and economy will be busted.

N regarding dependence on bangladesh your bharti government is begging for transit for the development of NE india and to cool down the region with the assistance from Bangladesh by targeting ULFA.

Your India is more dependent on Bangladesh then the other way around. Seeing you it seems to me the hindi words `Burha pay me sathiya gaye ho kiya`!!! Thinking and remain diluted then India is like heaven and best all the time is not gonna do you any help...

Now hope sun will rise from the west.

If you have not observed the matam, I cannot help it. I have am not an ophthalmologist who can assist you.

The thread itself started with the comments as a matam and a dirge.

If one understood military tactics, one would know that a fence is not a military structure and instead is a hindrance. To believe that a fence is a military structure is blissful ignorance. An obstacle requires to be breached if one is to launch an offensive. Breaching an obstacle gives away the intention and the axis of attack which leads to a general idea as to what are the initial, intermediate and terminal objectives.

In war, for defence, one lays minefields so as to hinder the enemy assault. There are four types of minefields - Protective (for the defence of immediate defences), Tactical (to channelise the enemy), Nuisance (to harass and deter the enemy) and the Phony (to deter the enemy and caution him caution to slow down his pace of advance). That said there has to be also gaps for offensive and these gaps are through which offensives are pushed through. If there is a fence running all along the border, it has to cut and be wide enough and this action will alert the enemy and therefore, would hardly be a military option. On the other hand, if someone want to deter anyone, a minefield is the answer as it cannot be discovered so easily since the mines are underground. Where the mines are no one will know except the ones who laid them! One does not lay minefields unless there is a war.

Fences are to stop infiltration, smugglers and illegal immigrant and basically for border policing and it has nothing to do with any military activity.

I have done many studies of the Border and I am aware of what's up. Delusion makes one feel that the border economy will collapse because Bangladeshi goods are stopped. Since it appears that you have first hand knowledge of the smuggling activities, do let us know what goods are smuggled into India that affects Indian economy so much that it will collapse but for Bangladesh's friendly activity of smuggling to boost India's economy?

Observing your expert comments on smuggling and its effect on India, I now understand why you all are so keen that the Transit Corridor facilities are not extended to India. It will stop the smuggling, right? And a great support to the Bangladeshi economy will collapse!

You are correct, compared to Bangladesh, India is indeed a heaven!

The manner in which you all post against India reminds me of William Ralph Inge who said:

A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbours.

India will join in the requiem of your lament.

If you have not observed the matam, I cannot help it. I have am not an ophthalmologist who can assist you.

The thread itself started with the comments as a matam and a dirge.

If one understood military tactics, one would know that a fence is not a military structure and instead is a hindrance. To believe that a fence is a military structure is blissful ignorance. An obstacle requires to be breached if one is to launch an offensive. Breaching an obstacle gives away the intention and the axis of attack which leads to a general idea as to what are the initial, intermediate and terminal objectives.

In war, for defence, one lays minefields so as to hinder the enemy assault. There are four types of minefields - Protective (for the defence of immediate defences), Tactical (to channelise the enemy), Nuisance (to harass and deter the enemy) and the Phony (to deter the enemy and caution him caution to slow down his pace of advance). That said there has to be also gaps for offensive and these gaps are through which offensives are pushed through. If there is a fence running all along the border, it has to cut and be wide enough and this action will alert the enemy and therefore, would hardly be a military option. On the other hand, if someone want to deter anyone, a minefield is the answer as it cannot be discovered so easily since the mines are underground. Where the mines are no one will know except the ones who laid them! One does not lay minefields unless there is a war.

Fences are to stop infiltration, smugglers and illegal immigrant and basically for border policing and it has nothing to do with any military activity.

I have done many studies of the Border and I am aware of what's up. Delusion makes one feel that the border economy will collapse because Bangladeshi goods are stopped. Since it appears that you have first hand knowledge of the smuggling activities, do let us know what goods are smuggled into India that affects Indian economy so much that it will collapse but for Bangladesh's friendly activity of smuggling to boost India's economy?

Observing your expert comments on smuggling and its effect on India, I now understand why you all are so keen that the Transit Corridor facilities are not extended to India. It will stop the smuggling, right? And a great support to the Bangladeshi economy will collapse!

You are correct, compared to Bangladesh, India is indeed a heaven!

The manner in which you all post against India reminds me of William Ralph Inge who said:

A nation is a society united by a delusion about its ancestry and by common hatred of its neighbours.

India will join in the requiem of your lament.

Was the concentration camps of Nazi Germany military structures or civilian? Please read my comment carefully -

It is a shame that US magazines still remain so undiscerning and uncritical of Indian policy objectives and propaganda aimed at its South Asian neighbors. India's border fencing policy with Bangladesh has nothing to do with climate change or illegal immigration. India would be a far worse sufferer of climate change than Bangladesh with the ocean on three sides (i.e. the Indian Ocean and the Arabian Sea covering India's eastern and western flanks) and the tsunami of 2004 clearly showing that a rise in sea levels would have extremely devastating consequences for India. Bangladesh was completely unharmed by the 2004 tsunami because of the shallow waters on its coastal regions. India will sink long before Bangladesh does in the case of climate change and a corresponding sea rise. This does not mean that Bangladesh will remain unaffected by climate change as cyclones could become more violent and deadly but there is an even chance that such a storm could hit India or Myanmar without ever reaching Bangladesh shores (look at a map).
As for illegal immigration there were only two periods where Bangladeshis/East Pakistanis emigrated to India en masse - in 1947 and 1971. Most of the émigrés in these two periods were Hindus and have settled nicely in Hindu majority India without any intention of returning to Bangladesh. After 1971 illegal immigration to India from Bangladesh has been limited and the overall figure of 20 million immigrants to India is highly exaggerated. If so many Bangladeshis had tried to emigrate to India in the last 30 years then the death rate on the border (from BSF shootings) would be far far higher. It also makes no economic sense for Bangladeshis to emigrate to India. All the Indian states surrounding Bangladesh are far poorer in GDP terms excepting one - Meghalaya which has virtually no Bangladeshi immigrants. Bangladeshis would also not prefer to go to other parts of India because of cultural, religious and linguistic differences as well as increasing Hindu chauvinism in financially lucrative and wealthy states such as Maharashtra and Gujarat. So in conclusion the argument about illegal immigration to Bangladesh is a fallacious one.
So what is the real reason for India's inhuman border fencing policy with Bangladesh? The obvious rationale for the policy (apart from India's inherent hegemonic tendencies) is preparation for war with China. Under the subservient regime of the present Awami League government under Sheikh Hasina there have been several strategically significant deals already signed or under negotiation with New Delhi such as transit facilities and access to ports as well as other vital infrastructure. These are all intended to help supply the Indian military located in the North East who are presently in a face off with Chinese troops (across the border from disputed Arunachal Pradesh) in Tibet. In the event of war, India could easily access Bangladesh to reach its army positioned in the North East but which is presently limited by the narrow Shilguri pass (or chicken neck) which could be easily blocked during a protracted conflict with China. Having access through Bangladesh provides a convenient alternative route to the North East region. But what has any of this to do with the border fencing policy? The fencing policy has a military objective to fence in Bangladeshis who might prefer to side with China and who could help incite rebellion in the insurgency prone North East states of India in time of war. It is in India's vital national interests to completely isolate and hermetically seal Bangladesh from the North East states. Bangladeshis generally resent Indian expansionist and hegemonic policies (see The India Doctrine (1947-2007)) and could easily find common cause with a sympathetic China. The strategic alignment of Bangladesh under the Awami League with India also has some obvious negative consequences for the country. Bangladesh would be inevitably drawn into a war it does not want and against a country it does not want to fight and has no serious differences with (i.e. China).
In a recent article in PROBE news magazine it was asserted that India was turning Bangladesh into a huge prison through its border fencing policy. It is my assertion that in the event of war India will in fact turn Bangladesh into a giant concentration camp.

Fortress India - By Scott Carney, Jason Miklian, and Kristian Hoelscher | Foreign Policy

Munshi, still have left with some unsold copies of The India Doctrine (1947-2007), he is selling them now.

I have a few questions for you, sir.

- Shouldn't a country about 22 times as large as BD's size have an economy 22 times as large as BD's economy to maintain the same living standard? By saying "difference in economy ... 20 times as large", are you implying India has a lower living standard? You really got me thinking.

- How do you intelligent fellas determine "City X is Y times better than city Z"? The 4x factor sounds intriguing. Is it the amount of garbage lying in the streets of Kolkata/Delhi/mumbai, the number of hobos in your cities or simply an act of "talking purely out of a$$, because I hate you sami!"

I give you a chance to prove your intelligence and make your countrymen proud!

Plz gimme a chance to prove my intel sir!! our country is ofcourse 20 times the size of ur big slum.but u have to use a part in ur head called"brain" that our land doesnot earn and land doesnot need money ,it is the ppl who need money and living standards, and on thta front we r 6 times larger to ur slum on population so we should have 6 times larger economy that of ur's and not 20.Alas ur being in canada hasn't got ur enof IQ ...

If the fence is on Indian side then Bangladesh can do nothing about it. the only way forward for Bangladesh is to join CHINA . that will not only strengthen BD economy but also Defence

Was the concentration camps of Nazi Germany military structures or civilian? Please read my comment carefully -

Ofcourse, given the huge population density BD have, if India completely stop illegal immigration of BD's into India, BD WILL become a concentration camp (with so much population concentrated into such a small peice of land).

BTW, has anyone told you? you are a good writer. You can make a good business by writing comics.

If the fence is on Indian side then Bangladesh can do nothing about it. the only way forward for Bangladesh is to join CHINA . that will not only strengthen BD economy but also Defence

@ This we will definitely do it in future. Morso, there is no more non-alignment movement.

@ "Jana jee kish dal dal me fash ge ham log !! Kia ish dunia me hamare madet keliya koi nahi ????"

@ This we will definitely do it in future. Morso, there is no more non-alignment movement.

@ "Jana jee kish dal dal me fash ge ham log !! Kia ish dunia me hamare madet keliya koi nahi ????
"

Inshallah hum hain na. we are there Inshallah. the only thing we need to understand that outsiders had been taking advantage of our small difference among our family members and these outsiders have been picthing brothers against brothers so now its time we start realising that.

join hands.

Above all Our BD brothers have a very very very important strategic position so forhaven's sake try to realise that and use it .

its others who should be kneeling in front of BD not otherwise

I am sure if our GOV ran a fundraising for that fence,
people would whole heartedly donate money for that.
According to the last similar thread 4-5 of us
BD member even promised $100-$200.:D

Please finish off this fence as fast as you people can.

Inshallah hum hain na. we are there Inshallah. the only thing we need to understand that outsiders had been taking advantage of our small difference among our family members and these outsiders have been picthing brothers against brothers so now its time we start realising that.

join hands.

Above all Our BD brothers have a very very very important strategic position so forhaven's sake try to realise that and use it .

its others who should be kneeling in front of BD not otherwise

Brothers against sisters in this case.:azn:

On a serious note, whats very very very strategic about BD position?

Back
Top Bottom