What's new

(for south asians mainly) did any of this happen to you?

LiberalAtheist

Reaction score
if any of you guys have conservative south asian parents then you know how difficult life can be especially living in a western mindset and having a western mentality reflecting back on my teenage years did any of you guys find it difficult to have a life? i mean seriously my parents would not let me leave my house to hang out with friends until i finally put my foot down at age 15 this set off a period of me disobeying my parents every time i wanted to go out and have fun my parents even followed me to see where i went sometimes.... but i guess they were just being good parents.

so anyways i'm wondering did any of you guys experience this or did you guys have it worse then thhat?

Yes, my parents wanted me to stay in the house 24/7 and study.

Yes, my parents wanted me to stay in the house 24/7 and study.

did you? i mean i had Punjabi parents as long as i stayed in school that was good enough for my parents i can't even imagine having South Indian parents where anything lower than a A justifies a a$$ whooping

i did not live with my parents after i turned 12 years old :cry:

Yes they are fine and we are a happy family but there were some reasons we had to live separately :lol:

After that I lived with my uncle for couple of years and nobody had a say in my life... i did what i wanted to do but still the first 12 years of my life had so much impact on me that I hardly spent a late night outside (a part from working night shifts), hardly went to the clubs, here n there. just a typical life of a Muslim family... There are rare moments when I went to the so-called western places or clubs and that too i had certain limitations in my mind and tried my best never let my parents down

besides all that... my parents are open minded upto certain extents and they do not like to force children's to follow a strict path and the book of guidelines written by them. They do encourage me to become a better person but never interferred in my life so much that I would say ke hardliner hain ya kuch lazmi karna hi hai

did you? i mean i had Punjabi parents as long as i stayed in school that was good enough for my parents i can't even imagine having South Indian parents where anything lower than a A justifies a a$$ whooping

Haha! Yes, they wanted me to get As in everything but it wasn't too difficult for me when I first moved to Ireland because I had already done most of the stuff that was being taught in school here. So I was like 2-3 years ahead (But they didn't know that)... So it kept them happy, lol!

When I was around 15-16, I think they finally realised that I didn't care much for grades. They stopped pestering me and let me make my own decisions... to an extent. But it worked out okay I guess... I am in a fairly decent University at the minute and doing well enough.

Indian parents push you too hard and always want you to become a doctor or an engineer... but not everyone is interested in being a doctor or an engineer.

:confused:

haha i grew up in California arguably the most liberal place on the planet i did a lot of crazy sht sneaking out of girls houses past midnight then getting caught trying to sneak in obviously will make your parents/guardians lose trust in you but indeed those were/are the times of my life that i would go and do again not to mention this friday is 4/20 Zakii you may need to ban me for PUI (posting under the influence) :lol:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom