What's new

First tarawih prayer in Ayasofya Mosque after 88 years

Mosques in Spain were converted to churches.

Why should Hagia Sophia Mosque be given back to Christians? Hagia Sophia is a mosque and Turkey is a Muslim majority country as well.
because Islam teaches us to be just thats why it should be handed to their rightful followers!

Erdoğan's move is disrespectful and only brings more enmity.

Yes cities do evolve with the centuries. Have you seen New York for example? London?

Ayya Sophia is not a holly place for Christian, the Holly place for Christian is in Jerusalem.

It is disrespectful if it just becomes a Museum, better it becomes the place to worship God. Remember Islam and Christian comes from the same source, Abrahamic religion.

Ayya Sophia is not a holly place for Christian, the Holly place for Christian is in Jerusalem.

It is disrespectful if it just becomes a Museum, better it becomes the place to worship God. Remember Islam and Christian comes from the same source, Abrahamic religion.

If it wasnt a mosque, actually i would prefer it to become a church again, instead of being a museum.

It is disrespectful if it just becomes a Museum, better it becomes the place to worship God. Remember Islam and Christian comes from the same source, Abrahamic religion
It's a holy place of worship.

Abrahamic religion,then convert your mosques to churches. You're saying it's the same,aren't you? So ok,convert your mosques to churches. If you can't understand the importance this building has for us,what else can I tell you.

Emperor Justinian if I'm not mistaken.
No, Emperor Constantinus. City was also named after him or his father/son whose name was also similar.

You don't have every right. Unless you want to be considered a savage conqueror and barbarian. There's something called diplomacy and respect.
You cry foul about the Spaniard,but the Ummayads had started converting churches into mosques centuries before the Reconquista. Churches in the Holy Land and elsewhere.
Generally it is not in Muslim faith and policy to convert other religions' places of worship to Masjid.
2nd Caliph Umer refused to pray in the church after the conquest of Jerusalem when the Bishop invited him to. Umer said, Muslim may then convert it to Masjid.
In Muslim Hispania, I don't know about church conversion into Masjid, but there was never an example a Christian was forcibly converted to Islam.
Architecture concept of Masjid is different from Church. Masjid architecture signify Monotheism.

Last edited:
No, Emperor Constantinus. City was also named after him or his father/son whose name was also similar.
No,I'm talking about Agia Sofia,it was built during Justinian's reign. The city was named Constantinople after emperor Constantine,but the official name originally was New Rome.

No,I'm talking about Agia Sofia,it was built during Justinian's reign. The city was named Constantinople after emperor Constantine,but the official name originally was New Rome.
Named of Byzantium emperors are very confusing :) and I don't get much liking to reading history now...

Byzantine Emperor Constantius commissioned construction of the first Hagia Sophia in 360 A.D. At the time of the first church’s construction, Istanbul was known as Constantinople, taking its name from Constantius’ father, Constantine I, the first ruler of the Byzantine Empire.

Named of Byzantium emperors are very confusing :) and I don't get much liking to reading history now...

Byzantine Emperor Constantius commissioned construction of the first Hagia Sophia in 360 A.D. At the time of the first church’s construction, Istanbul was known as Constantinople, taking its name from Constantius’ father, Constantine I, the first ruler of the Byzantine Empire.
Don't worry,you did great! 😉

The thing is,the church that was built at the same site was destroyed,so Justinian thought he should build an even bigger one. The biggest and most beautiful church in the world.

Stupid compensation because Spain was liberated by Christians while Constantinople was invaded so you can’t put the thieves the cops in one category.
I dont know where some of you studied history, the muslims were invited to Spain by a Christian ruler to help against the oppressor Roderick. The reason why Spain fell so quickly is because the majority of those living in the Iberian peninsular were happy to see the old regime go and welcomed the new rulers who didnt impose their religion. The Irony is the reconquista of spain was the complete opposite. The catholic Isabella and Ferdinand were doing forced conversions of the locals or expelling them, the jews suffered tremendously.

Don't worry,you did great! 😉

The thing is,the church that was built at the same site was destroyed,so Justinian thought he should build an even bigger one. The biggest and most beautiful church in the world.
Justinian name rung a bell.
So Justinian rebuilt it but even more splendid.
I visited it in 2019. It is so splendid.
Should be handed over to orthodox church in Istanbul.

Byzantines were majority ethnic Greek,so Byzantion/Constantinople had a continuity.

Christianity was not an "invader" to Byzantines,because what we can the Byzantine period,starts after the empire was transferred from Rome to Constantine and especially when the Roman Empire split into two parts. By then,Christianity was already dominant in the Empire.

Of course it is. Because it is a provocation by Erdoğan. And exactly when he had built new huge mosques. If it's going to used as a place of worship again,then why not use it as a church? It was originally a church.

Erdoğan's move is disrespectful and only brings more enmity.

Yes cities do evolve with the centuries. Have you seen New York for example? London?
So then it STILL isn’t a religious issue. You are conflicting your own statements and are ignoring the aspect you stated that it was a continuation of the Roman empire. So merely adopting Christianity which Constantine did purely for continuation of empire more than anything else doesn’t mean the empire lost its primary purpose as a symbol of Greco-latin imperialism/colonialism.
Christianity merely became the new marketing statement for this rule because it’s subjects were embracing the new religion like wildfire.

So while the move may be provocative from Erdogan its seeds are based in nations and not religion. Sure, you could play that and see that playing as is evident on the thread but it has more to do with him capitalizing on religious sentiments for local gains while making a statement to Europe and more so specifically France in its anti-muslim moves.

Greece, just happens to be a second bird probably taking more offense than what was intended for it.

So then it STILL isn’t a religious issue. You are conflicting your own statements and are ignoring the aspect you stated that it was a continuation of the Roman empire. So merely adopting Christianity which Constantine did purely for continuation of empire more than anything else doesn’t mean the empire lost its primary purpose as a symbol of Greco-latin imperialism/colonialism.
Christianity merely became the new marketing statement for this rule because it’s subjects were embracing the new religion like wildfire.

So while the move may be provocative from Erdogan its seeds are based in nations and not religion. Sure, you could play that and see that playing as is evident on the thread but it has more to do with him capitalizing on religious sentiments for local gains while making a statement to Europe and more so specifically France in its anti-muslim moves.

Greece, just happens to be a second bird probably taking more offense than what was intended for it.
We should not insinuate a religion. This counter argument is not productive.
Constantine I accepted Christianity and made Christianity state religion.
At that time Christianity was the only Godly religion spreading fast. People need a viable faith system to have meaning in life.
Muslims case is different. We consider Ibrahim and before and after Ibrahim, all prohets carried same religion. God's religion has always been one.
Only difference now, God says, ONE CANNOT ATTAIN GOD EXCEPT IF ONE WALK ISLAM.

But everyone is free to make a choice

Purpose of religion has evwr been SACRED LAW, it is always been KNOWING GOD.

We should not insinuate a religion. This counter argument is not productive.
Constantine I accepted Christianity and made Christianity state religion.
At that time Christianity was the only Godly religion spreading fast. People need a viable faith system to have meaning in life.
Muslims case is different. We consider Ibrahim and before and after Ibrahim, all prohets carried same religion. God's religion has always been one.
Only difference now, God says, ONE CANNOT ATTAIN GOD EXCEPT IF ONE WALK ISLAM.

But everyone is free to make a choice

Purpose of religion has evwr been SACRED LAW, it is always been KNOWING GOD.
You are misunderstanding what I am pointing to - it isn’t about Islam or Christianity. It is about an Empire in trouble requiring a refresh of its brand to be relevant to the masses. At the time Christianity was it, today the same is playing out with Islam in certain countries. It doesn’t demean or point fingers at either Islam or Christianity or a path. Notre Dame or St. Paul’s cathedral aren’t just an expression of devotion to religion as they are of those empires showing their capacity as powers.

Back
Top Bottom