What's new

First PAF IL-78 mid-air refueller aircraft arrives in Pakistan

Two possible options:

1. Buy separate Tanker(s) for F-16
2. Modify the current inventory and install refueling drogues.

Considering the number of IL-78s we have ordered the second option seems more viable, but only time will tell.

Thx but i seem to think that PAF wont do the second option but again i could be wrong! why wont PAF try to buy atleast 2 tankers for the f-16's... and if US wont sell us the kc-135's wat other option is there for us to buy and perhaps modify that aircraft i had heard something with airbus?? :what:

Thx but i seem to think that PAF wont do the second option but again i could be wrong! why wont PAF try to buy atleast 2 tankers for the f-16's... and if US wont sell us the kc-135's wat other option is there for us to buy and perhaps modify that aircraft i had heard something with airbus?? :what:

that will be too costly for Pakistan

Well the other option was discussed with Airbus about the A310 MRTT platform, but as Airbus has stopped the production run of A310 and insisted on the A330 MRTT, the deal didn't went through.

A330 MRTT is the best option, as its multi role, and it can house 2 drogue refuelling probes and one boom style used for F-16s that we have. Plus can be converted to a troop, equipment transport role too.

But its pretty expensive platform also.

Well the other option was discussed with Airbus about the A310 MRTT platform, but as Airbus has stopped the production run of A310 and insisted on the A330 MRTT, the deal didn't went through.

A330 MRTT is the best option, as its multi role, and it can house 2 drogue refuelling probes and one boom style used for F-16s that we have. Plus can be converted to a troop, equipment transport role too.

But its pretty expensive platform also.

No problem for Defence we must go for much better thn bn$$ put in crrppt people pockets! we can easily buy anything in the market (so called xpensive) look at corrption list and corrption money list of pakistan u will get ur Expensive Answer dear. :)

How does your surprising contribution is related to Pakistan's mid-air refuling issues?

I never said so, just wanted to give general knowledge.

On a side note.....red flag excercise was real eyeopener for IAF.

Who said it was otherwise?

The next best role for SU30 is indeed a refuler.... very expensive though.

How so? or just because it is belonging to IAF and not PAF?

sir with all due respect why do we need tankers for just two squadron of F-16s? aren't the F-16s our main strike weapon that we will use sparingly! we need a tanker that can refuel our JFs the main backbone of our airforce & the ones that will carry out alot of loitering & CAP ops! F16s would be called upon on specific missions in a war type scenario! spending millions on a refueller for 32 planes is a LUXURY that pakistan cannot afford...!

Can't wait for this moment!!!

d9209e218dd10e62d7b38d490d7134b2.jpg

sir with all due respect why do we need tankers for just two squadron of F-16s? aren't the F-16s our main strike weapon that we will use sparingly! we need a tanker that can refuel our JFs the main backbone of our airforce & the ones that will carry out alot of loitering & CAP ops! F16s would be called upon on specific missions in a war type scenario! spending millions on a refueller for 32 planes is a LUXURY that pakistan cannot afford...!

PAF will be operating with 60 F-16's by the end of next year and considering the role it plays in our defense capability it is not a luxury. We are spending alot of money on the upgrades of F-16s and are certainly planning on keeping them for atleast a decade. F-16 is a tried and tested bird and with Mid air refueling capability it will increase the defense capability by two folds.
PAF is certainly looking into this and is not making its plans public for obvious reasons. Till the time all our existing inventory is upgraded and new ones are inducted we might not hear anything official on this subject.

:cheers:

why mirages are the first ones to have refuler probes?

Because the only two planes that we plan on keeping in service longer then the rest are Mirages and F-7PG, JF-17 and FC-20 will be equipped with drogues and as you know F-16 has a different technology for its mid-air refueling so this left PAF to make the choice between Mirage and F-7PG.

Back
Top Bottom