What's new

First PAF IL-78 mid-air refueller aircraft arrives in Pakistan

i think J 10 also refuled same as F 16 and PAF is already thinking for next refuler to refuel its ace strike

Can someone enlighten me about the increase in combat radius of our planes Mirages and JF-17 after in flight refuling.
Regards

Well in our case combat radius may not be a much factor as Pakistan is not a big country in width wise, but it will keep the aircraft in the air for considerable time periods, so time saving in landing and refueling and then again taking off and fighters can take off with less fuel and more weapons, and once airborne can refuel their tanks full and go for their targets, making heavier weapon loaded aircraft destined towards their targets.

i think J 10 also refuled same as F 16 and PAF is already thinking for next refuler to refuel its ace strike

The Hong-6U Tanker are being used by PLA Air Force (PLAAF) for refuelling the J-10 fighter through Probe and drogue refuelling method which is same method being used by PAF IL-78MP .The H-6 tanker carries 37 tonnes of aviation fuel inside its tanks and can transfer 18.5 tonnes of fuel to the fighter aircraft. The refuelling system consists if two RDC-1 refuelling pods developed by China Institute of Aero Accessories. The two pods are mounted on pylons under each wing and a control panel in the operator’s station. Two fighter aircraft can be refuelled at the same time.

In September 2005 came news that China has ordered four IL-78 aerial refuelling tankers along with 30 IL-76MD transport aircraft from Russia. However, the delivery of these aircraft has been delayed due to increased production costs and the financial dispute between Uzbekistan and Russia. Although China has developed its indigenous refuelling tanker on the basis of the H-6 (Tu-16 Barger) medium bomber, its performance is much inferior to that of the Russian IL-78.

In F-16 there is a boom refueling socket in the center of the back. No production F-16s have ever been fitted with refueling probe for probe-and-drogue refueling. All USAF fixed wing aircraft use the flying boom system.

Last edited:
ohh come on people its not so dificult for PAC to put a boom refuling socket on il-78.
USAF used it on different aircrafts like irans b-747,dc-10,b757 etc
i am sure PAC can fit it to il-78.there is no need to purchase any other platform.:pakistan:

see this.
Air-Refueling-boom.jpg

2b95f2a3073fd755a6ed9ad3df56cd66.jpg

20964c30cce3eab11614f6757d174d54.jpg

e0c987bbd83474255f746e693b17b1ff.jpg

for more details see
Aerial refueling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PROBLEM SOLVED:azn:

Last edited:
or this can happen too.
PAF need to byilt such type of CFTs or ask from USA(which is ......dont ask)

or if PAC could install a pod just like they did with mirage.it would be bettre then evey thing.
like this

Last edited:
First of all congrats to PAf. Now someone please enlighten me about the age of the airframe of IL-78M PAF has inducted.

Are these IL-78M are brand new or the same aircrafts that Ukraine inherited from manufacturing industry from the USSR.?

4a1bde7fbd0eb8a81a2b7906823dad2a.jpg

Isn't UPAZ is the outdated refueling pod system from Cold War Era.?

^^ I don't understand the importance of your questions. Why would you want to know the age of the airframes? Any particular reason other than curiosity?

Also, the refuelling pod system does its job. Who cares whether it's from the stone age or Cold War era.

^^ I don't understand the importance of your questions. Why would you want to know the age of the airframes? Any particular reason other than curiosity?

Also, the refuelling pod system does its job. Who cares whether it's from the stone age or Cold War era.
No, IBRIS has a point. However, I think there is enough life left in the airframes that PAF decided to purchase them.

IBRIS, they are not new but from the surplus stock. Please check the post#74 from jawadqamar.

"by David A. Fulghum

Here’s another Christmas present for the Pentagon. The first of four Ilyushin Il-78MP tanker/cargo aircraft was delivered to Pakistan Dec. 19. Pictured here is the aircraft during aircrew and aircraft trials in Ukraine in Oct. The aircraft were modified from surplus Ukranian aircraft stocks.

Also pictured is one of a small number of Pakistani Mirages modified with an in-air refueling probe.The tanker can refuel two aircraft in the air or four on the ground. The Il-78MP has upgraded PS-90 engines and Russian-designed UPAZ refueling pods on each wing outboard of the engines".

Source: http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Well in our case combat radius may not be a much factor as Pakistan is not a big country in width wise, but it will keep the aircraft in the air for considerable time periods, so time saving in landing and refueling and then again taking off and fighters can take off with less fuel and more weapons, and once airborne can refuel their tanks full and go for their targets, making heavier weapon loaded aircraft destined towards their targets.

Hi,

You are right---less fuel and more weapons---a plane may use almost 1/3rd of its fuel on take off alone---once the plane takes off with minimum fuel and mximum load of weapons---after refueling---its range and flight time increases in multitudes---longer flight times for the pilots at one go increases the pilots flight stamina, takes his abilities to a different level---lesser number of takes offs and landings increase the life of the parts.

or this can happen too.
PAF need to byilt such type of CFTs or ask from USA(which is ......dont ask)

or if PAC could install a pod just like they did with mirage.it would be bettre then evey thing.
like this

http://img709.imageshack.us/i/f16.png/
May be in future we will be able to use an upgrade to our F-16 like this one as most of our F-16 don’t have CFT

Hey just to make an valuable contribution to this topic, I am posting following pic.

453624f8ec76ef6ab095d54a3724768b.jpg

Wat will happen with the f-16's air to air refueling issue ? plz someone shine some light on this issue.....

Hey just to make an valuable contribution to this topic, I am posting following pic.

453624f8ec76ef6ab095d54a3724768b.jpg

How does your surprising contribution is related to Pakistan's mid-air refuling issues?

On a side note.....red flag excercise was real eyeopener for IAF.
The next best role for SU30 is indeed a refuler.... very expensive though.

Wat will happen with the f-16's air to air refueling issue ? plz someone shine some light on this issue.....

Two possible options:

1. Buy separate Tanker(s) for F-16
2. Modify the current inventory and install refueling drogues.

Considering the number of IL-78s we have ordered the second option seems more viable, but only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom