What's new

First 'Made in Bangladesh' Smartphone Primo E8i by Walton hits the market

they themselves are saying that they are assembling in bangladesh ,but you insist that they are manufacturing ?

Where did you get that? From Walton's website,
E8i-freatures1.jpg

Where did you get that? From Walton's website,

Walton Mobile Phone Production Plant is currently operating and assembling handsets in six units, with each of them capable of producing 4,000 phones every day.

The plant has been set up under the banner of Walton Digi-Tech Industries Limited on about 50,000 square feet of land, with an initial annual production capacity of up to 30 lakh handsets.

The company, which has been marketing and selling smartphones imported from China, assembles six types of handsets for now.

“Since its inception, Walton dreamt to provide people in Bangladesh with quality handsets assembled here at a reasonable price. Now it’s a reality, not a dream any more,” SM Rejoan Alam, a senior operative director who heads the Walton Mobile Handset, told the Dhaka Tribune.

Source: http://www.dhakatribune.com/tribune...walton-manufacture-mobile-handsets-next-year/

There goes the first cellphone made in South Asia in the delta of sunderbans...

from this post . there is a link .

And seriously those flashy advertisements are misleading .
have a look at this
gsmarena_001.jpg

^^ you think redmi 2 prime is manufactured in India ? they are just assembled here and it's just a marketing gimmick .
If walton actually did manufacture that smartphone in bangladesh then it's something special and bangladeshis truly deserve praises for pulling that off

images

Xiaomi-Mi-A1-Review-In-photos-12.jpg

^more misleading labels

China is by far the largest consumer of semiconductors; it accounts for about 45 percent of the worldwide demand for chips, used both in China and for exports. But more than 90 percent of its consumption relies on imported integrated circuits. Integrated-circuit companies in China entered the semiconductor market late—some two decades after the rest of the world—and have been playing catch-up ever since in an industry in which success depends on scale and learning efficiencies. The Chinese government made several attempts to build a local semiconductor industry, but none really took hold. Now, however, things are changing on both the business and policy fronts.
https://www.mckinsey.com/industries...rs-in-china-brave-new-world-or-same-old-story

and i think such manufacturing is better at providing large scale employment as compared to manufacturing of train coaches or tbms . high tech manufacturing is mostly highly automated and employs less people as compared to a laptop or mobile assembly plant

A random buzz in as usual, don't find the time to login this days
but here goes anyways,

Walton has some smt assembly lines, the news of which are not available
in news portals so most of it are heresays in the engineering circles.
A team from Walton (EEE) went to Finland some years ago under client Training
programs for the execution of eight complete SMT lines.

They have started manufacturing the core pcb motherboards in other
words a complete smd motherboard without the core processors
and similar ram modules. They have their own manufactured interfacing
chips , not sure if it's patented or license produced.

Their smt production line has been installed by Aspocomp a finnish company
and the production networking system by DG Tech Industries Ltd.
They are currently working on lcd panel production lines .

Try to spell the name of a country correctly by the way,
education is pretty cheap this days. Even the Rohingyas are getting
free education, you can apply for free too, I guess.

Best Regards

The sad thing is - he himself has Bong roots....maybe.

Making fun of Bongs. When India's intellectual capital comes mainly from Bongs.:disagree:

from this post . there is a link .

And seriously those flashy advertisements are misleading .
have a look at this
gsmarena_001.jpg

^^ you think redmi 2 prime is manufactured in India ? they are just assembled here and it's just a marketing gimmick .
If walton actually did manufacture that smartphone in bangladesh then it's something special and bangladeshis truly deserve praises for pulling that off

images

Xiaomi-Mi-A1-Review-In-photos-12.jpg

^more misleading labels

Redmi is a Chinese brand (a sub-brand of XiaoMi). The tampo printer and ink to print the 'Made in India' labels were probably also Made in China - and the work done in China too. But - assembly was in India.

but here goes anyways,

Best Regards

@integra bhai I did not know the details. I knew that they had installed SMD lines and wave-soldering line but I wasn't sure of the rest. Appreciate the insight. These guys are truly visionary.

I have had quite a few people visiting in LA who brought back their high-end Walton Smartphones and they run fine on the local TMobile network. I have used the cameras and the images are quite nice. Camera modules are of course Chinese, but how they tune and configure the RAW to JPEG compression (and exposure noise) in the factory is important.

If they finally install the LCD production line then no one in the subcontinent can beat them in cost factor, being how cheap Bangladesh labor rates are. LCD screen is a component with major cost factor. Same with Camera modules as well which they plan to produce.

and i think such manufacturing is better at providing large scale employment as compared to manufacturing of train coaches or tbms . high tech manufacturing is mostly highly automated and employs less people as compared to a laptop or mobile assembly plant

Rishav Dada - you seem like a reasonable chap so here's a few videos of Walton Plant I found.

Last edited:
Walton received many favorable policies from the Government. One I can recall is the requirement to have 80% locally made component to receive duty free import to manufacture TV, Fridge, a/c, and other household items. The competition was held back as the Govt was not permitting competition to import machines for the factories using delaying tactics.

The source I heard from deemed pretty reliable.

Last edited:
Walton received many favorable policies from the Government. One I can recall is the requirement to have 80% locally made component to receive duty free import to manufacture TV, Fridge, a/c, and other household items. . The competition was held back as the Govt was not permitting competition to import machines for the factories using delaying tactics.

The source I heard from deemed pretty reliable.

I think the least the Govt. can do is enable companies like Walton with tax and duty facilities so they can deeply indigenize manufacture of components for these items locally. Cost to produce components will not be any more than even China and we can get a better product and compete locally (and perhaps also in markets that the Chinese are not interested in).

For cellphones - the major components that can be indigenized locally is motherboards, LCD screens and camera modules. The motherboards they are manufacturing already and the manufacturing for the next two are being set up within short term.

For TV's - Motherboard is already being locally made, LCD screen manufacturing (cellphone screens as well) will be set up in short term as well.

For Lifts, Air Conditioners and Refrigerators - Compressor plant for AirCons and Refrigerators is almost complete. They are already looking at indigenizing manufacture of VVVS heavy-duty continuous duty motors for lift usage. Existing Sheet metal pressing, punching, bending and other metalworking for lift housing as well as AC and Refrigerator housing is all completed using Trumpf Trubend CNC machines from Germany.

Here's their lift marketing video.

They also make modular switchgear and sockets for residential use now,

Good to see them having places for only women to work too. That way, even if you are conservative, you won't have a problem with working in manufacturing. We need more women participation and until the conservatism breaks, stance like these are good way to employ them.

Good to see them having places for only women to work too. That way, even if you are conservative, you won't have a problem with working in manufacturing. We need more women participation and until the conservatism breaks, stance like these are good way to employ them.

It is well known that women are great assembly workers, they work seriously and sincerely, are punctual and are far easier to manage (if accommodations are made such as daycare and lunch) than men.

I am all for employing women. Let the men learn welding and go build ships. :-)

but here goes anyways,

Best Regards

Here's a video of the demo OEM equipment installed at Aspocomp. The line supplied to Walton by them maybe even newer.

https://www.aspocomp.com/sites/default/files/ASPOCOMP (SD 360p).mp4

http://www.thedailystar.net/bytes/f...rtphoneprimo-e8i-wato-hits-the-market-1506667
First 'Made in Bangladesh' Smartphone Primo E8i by Walton hits the market

phone_4.jpg

‘Primo E8i', the first locally manufactured smartphone by Walton Walton Digi-Tech Industries Ltd was launched in the market last week. The 4.5-inch Primo E8i features a 1.2 GHz Quad Core Processor, Mali-400 GPU, 512 MB RAM with 8 GB internal storage. It has a 5MP rear camera with LED flash and a 2MP front camera for selfies. The phone runs on Android Marshmallow and features a 1700 mAh li-ion battery.

Price: Tk. 3,500/-
Come now, you can easily get your own spec phone sourced from multiple chinese consortiums; this is just re-assembly and labelling.

Come now, you can easily get your own spec phone sourced from multiple chinese consortiums; this is just re-assembly and labelling.

I don't think you have the facts. Did you even read all the posts?

As discussed previously, they decided to source several smd 'pick and place' lines as well as wave-soldering lines to make their own motherboards for both cellphones as well as the SMART TV's they make. This way you won't be beholden to or at the mercy of any Chinese consortium setting arbitrary pricing. Bangladesh is a huge market by itself and can sustain this investment for cellphone production volumes.

Plus having the flexibility to change motherboard designs using rapid prototyping and agile manufacturing is light years better than waiting for Chinese companies to give you handouts and be at their mercy. Which is not the fault of Chinese companies. It's your fault for not investing in basic production capability.

This is not a fly-by-night, make-a-quick-buck scheme.

Reassembly and re-labelling from sub assemblies is much easier (as they do in India) - but when prices go up in China (and believe me they WILL with rising labor costs) - then you'll really have your knickers in a twist.

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom