What's new

First image of INS Vikrant undocking at Cochin Shipyard

Sorry for the late reply ... but still looks more like an incomplete and empty hull?
I am beginning to wonder if China's 003 might be launched before INS Vikrant completed its out-fitting, or even get to be commissioned before INS Vikrant in 2023.

India’s indigenous aircraft carrier, INS Vikrant, to begin sea trials in 2020
By: PTI | Published: July 19, 2018 11:36 PM

Sea trials of the indigenously built aircraft carrier, Vikrant, are expected to commence by early 2020, a Defence spokesperson said today.

Sea trials of the indigenously built aircraft carrier, Vikrant, are expected to commence by early 2020, a Defence spokesperson said today. The Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) Project was reviewed by defence secretary Sanjay Mitra at Cochin Shipyard Limited (CSL) here, he said.

Mitra was accompanied by Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar, Vice Chief of the Naval Staff, Vice Admiral D M Deshpande, Controller Warship Production and Acquisition, Satinder Pal Singh, IPS, Joint Secretary (Shipping) and other senior officers from the Indian Navy. During the onboard visit, the defence secretary was given a first-hand briefing on the progress of IAC construction by Commodore Cyril Thomas, the Warship Production Superintendent, a defence release said.

Madhu S Nair, CMD, CSL, highlighted the shipyards focus on outfitting and trial activities as the project enters its final phase, and reiterated the CSLs commitment to meet the timelines for delivery of the ship, it said. The ship was launched in August 2013 and presently, the main propulsion plant, power generation equipment, deck machinery and auxiliary equipment have been installed and integrated on board.

Outfitting of various aviation equipment, navigation and communication equipment, weapons and sensors are progressing. “In-house trials of ship’s systems by the Carrier Acceptance & Trials Team have already commenced and the sea trials are expected to commence by early 2020,” the release said.

Air complex seems to be missing. The bridge looks good damn ugly, well it's Indian taste, can't say much

Seems like the Chinese tests are causing them to shiver. Not sure how they gonna test a half completed ship.

To admit I don't see this ship ready for trails this year and even in 2020 is IMO unlikely ... there is nothing radar related installed, it still seems to lack the windows; I still think it is more or less an empty hull.

Concerning its design I cannot say much, albeit it has quite a large area for such a small ship.

Serious, they have a commission ceremony for "AC Plant"? Guess they will have lots of ceremonies to look forward to.

Its just inter-departmental politics.

Nothing like inviting your boss to inaugurate something and honoring him so that you get promoted. lol.

Its just inter-departmental politics.

Nothing like inviting your boss to inaugurate something and honoring him so that you get promoted. lol.

But the guest of honor is Navy vice chief Vice Admiral G. Ashok Kumar, so it is not a small fair.

But the guest of honor is Navy vice chief Vice Admiral G. Ashok Kumar, so it is not a small fair.

He was probably in that area for some work and someone smart decided to bundle that with commissioning something and holding a party in that honor. I am sure Admirals and Vice Admirals are suckers for anything that honors them.

They need to show the public they are progressing. The CAG says the carrier will only be ready by 2022, you can see the air complex is not even installed yet.

Back
Top Bottom