What's new

Feel the Need for Speed

top speed is not important, ACCELERATION AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TOP SPEED, THERE IS A TRADE OFF B/W SPEED AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, IF YOU WANT SPEED LIKE SR-71, MIG-25/31,F-15 THAN FORGET MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, AND IF YOU WANT TO MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JET THAN BEST SPEED FOR MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JETS IS TRANS-SONIC TO SUPERSONIC (0.85-1.6 MACH, TO MACH 2.3) @AZADPAKISTAN2009 :crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

top speed is not important, ACCELERATION AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TOP SPEED, THERE IS A TRADE OFF B/W SPEED AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, IF YOU WANT SPEED LIKE SR-71, MIG-25/31,F-15 THAN FORGET MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, AND IF YOU WANT TO MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JET THAN BEST SPEED FOR MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JETS IS TRANS-SONIC TO SUPERSONIC (0.85-1.6 MACH, TO MACH 2.3) @AZADPAKISTAN2009 :crazy::crazy::crazy:

top speed is not important, ACCELERATION AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TOP SPEED, THERE IS A TRADE OFF B/W SPEED AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, IF YOU WANT SPEED LIKE SR-71, MIG-25/31,F-15 THAN FORGET MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, AND IF YOU WANT TO MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JET THAN BEST SPEED FOR MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JETS IS TRANS-SONIC TO SUPERSONIC (0.85-1.6 MACH, TO MACH 2.3) @AZADPAKISTAN2009 :crazy::crazy::crazy:

Tm aj b jahaazo k peechay paray vy ho :hitwall:Eid ki Namaz :what:

For some reason , when I view any Air simulator video game Speed/Acceleration make great impact
Specially when attempting a run maneuver

If Speed is such an unimportant feature why all US modern fighters are focused on gradually increasing Speed/Acceleration capabilities of Jets

Majority of US planes are quite fast as you view them on Generation by Generation basis

On a highway if I am doing 100 km / hr and another car comes by doing 160km/hr I see it wizz by me as if I am not even moving

Now if I expand that idea to planes / fighter Jets the speeds are still quite large
PLEASE TELL ME WHICH ONE IS FAST IN USAF I THINK YOU SAID F-15 @AZADPAKISTAN2009 :crazy::crazy: F-22 TOP SPEED IS CLASSIFIED AND ACCELERATION AND SPEED ARE TWO DIFFERENT BALL GAME @AZADPAKISTAN2009 :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Tm aj b jahaazo k peechay paray vy ho :hitwall:Eid ki Namaz :what:
HO GAI BAHI HAMARI NAMAZ HO GAI SUBHA 9 BAJJE THI AB TU RAAT KE 11 BAJJH RAH HAIN:p:, I AM LIVING IN FREDERICK MARYLAND @Mentee :p:

Well with many countries now boasting about EW support in their planes , what happens when both set of pilots lose their sensors , we go back to 1 vs 1 dog fights

And then speed / acceleration makes a big difference
top speed is not important, ACCELERATION AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TOP SPEED, THERE IS A TRADE OFF B/W SPEED AND MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, IF YOU WANT SPEED LIKE SR-71, MIG-25/31,F-15 THAN FORGET MANEUVERABILITY/AGILITY, AND IF YOU WANT TO MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JET THAN BEST SPEED FOR MANEUVERABLE/AGILE JETS IS TRANS-SONIC TO SUPERSONIC (0.85-1.6 MACH, TO MACH 2.3) @AZADPAKISTAN2009

JF17s will have to outrun a mach 3 ramjet missile by the time block 3 is in operational production. when it will be capable of doing that, there will be a mach 4-6 ramjet missile in Indian inventory. bottom line, it simply cannot outrun a smaller faster, more agile missile.. yeah ?

Bottom line is that you are a dunce who has no understanding of aerial warfare. Shut up.

When you talk about doing mach 2-2.5, i hope you know how much it translates into Km/ph
You are talking about flying 45-50km per minute. Look at map and see how far the jet will reach in 10 mins if it flies from Lahore at that speed and when engaged near border...

Air combat is all about energy management. And combats is all about maneuverability, each aircraft has a specific optimal cornering velocity. Pilots try to maintain this speed when they enter in combat situation.
Modern air craft combats generally take place in range of 650kmph (0.5mach/350KIAS) to 1250kmph(1mach / 650KIAS)

I guess time to go back to read Basic Flight Maneuvering (BFM) Theory chapters once again :p

When you talk about doing mach 2-2.5, i hope you know how much it translates into Km/ph
You are talking about flying 45-50km per minute. Look at map and see how far the jet will reach in 10 mins if it flies from Lahore at that speed and when engaged near border...

Air combat is all about energy management. And combats is all about maneuverability, each aircraft has a specific optimal cornering velocity. Pilots try to maintain this speed when they enter in combat situation.
Modern air craft combats generally take place in range of 650kmph (0.5mach/350KIAS) to 1250kmph(1mach / 650KIAS)

I guess time to go back to read Basic Flight Maneuvering (BFM) Theory chapters once again :p

NOTE: I am neither supporting, nor refuting the assertion that max speed of Thunder will increase.

BFM is not the only tactic employed in modern warfare. A high max speed has its advantages, in the right scenario. Read more here

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chen...k-iii-development.536683/page-8#post-10257119

NOTE: I am neither supporting, nor refuting the assertion that max speed of Thunder will increase.

BFM is not the only tactic employed in modern warfare. A high max speed has its advantages, in the right scenario. Read more here

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/chen...k-iii-development.536683/page-8#post-10257119

No doubt, every thing has its advantages and disadvantages based on scenarios.
A country buys or produces a fighter jets based on its threat perception. That further adds up region, terrain, distance, enemy arsenals, tactics, future plans etc.

There are certain constraints that limit maximum speed and the maximum altitude of any aircraft.

At high altitudes, all air-breathing engines (not Rocket) get into problems because the lower air density means less air mass is flowing through the engine which would eventually cause a flame out.

Basically, the higher you get, the lower the thrust your engines deliver because of low oxygen at high altitudes. The drag also goes down with the air density but increases with speed and since you are flying faster and faster during the climb, the drag doesn't decrease at all. At some point during the climb the thrust and drag are getting close to equal and that is where the climb stops, this is called the service ceiling.

The other limitation is the speed of sound. In the process of generating lift, air flowing over the top of the wing is accelerated. This results in an increase of drag and reduces the lift. Thus there is an inherent maximum Mach number built in the design of the aircraft. Exceeding the maximum Mach number of the aircraft would result in the high-speed buffet, vibrations and possible loss of control and may be structural damage.

Aircraft’s performance, therefore, depends not only upon its engine power but also drag and wing design. In the aerodynamic terms, there is a flight /performance envelope of every aircraft which refers to its design limitations/capabilities in terms of airspeed, load factor and altitude. Exceeding the built-in design limitation is dangerous.

Another important thing to remember is that a more powerful engine generally burns more fuel. Since storage capacity for fuel is limited, putting a more powerful engine; even a more efficient one; would mean less time in the air hence shorter range ( unless there is a major structural change such as increasing size of the fuselage).

Therefore, aircraft design, whether for the fighter or a transport plane, is inherently a compromise giving the optimum combination of speed, load carrying capacity, altitude and endurance (combat radius) for the task the aircraft is meant for.

Based upon the above, according to my humble knowledge of Fluid Dynamics; a fighter airframe designed for sub-Mach 2 performance such as for JF-17; would not be suitable for much higher speeds like Mach 2.5, even if you manage to fit it with a very powerful engine.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom