What's new

Fatal crash highlights the Chinese Air Force's flaws - 3 Dead

After looking at the list of crashes which Indians dominated with a long margin one can ask are we supposed to call IAF a professional Air force or not.
I thought with all the crashes their Search&Rescue team would have been top notch and always on the toes but crash of AN-32 in June raises some serious doubt. Plane went down within Indian territory on 11 june and its wreckage was found on 24 june. I mean their is where is the professionalism.
I know they will come up with some story but i want to point out there is a thing that is called radars which are use to keep an eye and exact location of the planes.

After the devastating sub hatch incident Indians should not even be here on PDF.
Indians are the main source of entertainment in this forum. If they are prohibited then who will make us laugh on the sheer stupidity.
Some of the fellows are serious thinkers with good points but most are like Modi making their own sciences and logic and making huge claims. Which is good we need some good laughs.

What exactly does it mean 'lack of training'? It does not mean the PLAAF just plopped someone in the cockpit and let him go at it.

Let us take one extreme -- the test pilot.

https://www.edwards.af.mil/Units/USAFTPS/

Why do you need to train to learn how to be a 'test pilot'? And what does a 'test pilot' do anyway? Candidacy for training to be a test pilot is just as competitive as training to be an astronaut. But it still begs the question -- Why do you need to learn how to be a 'test pilot'?

A test pilot is more an engineer than a pilot. The FAA required a minimum of 1500 flight hours before a person can be rated as a regular pilot to transport cargo, human and otherwise. Considering most pilots started out with 1-2 hrs per flight, 1500 is a lot of flying before the FAA grant you the license and an airline will hire you. So by the time you even try to convince a panel of pilots, engineers, and scientists that you are their choice, try 2000 before you apply. The minimum is 1000, but if that is all you have, your CO will most likely deny you the chance to apply.

A 'test pilot' is a pilot who is more a data generator than anything else. He must be intimately involved in every test mission, from knowing what the scientists and engineers want, to planning the flight that will generate the data the scientists want, to deal with unexpected deviations all the way up to in-flight emergency (IFE), and to finally land the aircraft in one piece. In short, there is a mental shift from being a pilot to being a scientist who knows how to fly. In terms of flying skills, the test pilot is as respected as a fighter pilot who actually killed in combat.

So what does it mean when the charge that there is a 'lack of training' in the PLAAF? What does the phrase 'lack of training' really mean? No, it does not mean PLAAF pilots do not know how to fly. All of them passed the minimum requirements.

Here is the clue: A pilot is NEVER done training.

If your squadron have 10 pilots but only 2 aircrafts, this situation is ripe for the charge of 'lack of training'. It means that while your flight school graduated pilots certified to the minimum, your squadron do not provide your pilots with enough flight hours for them to learn how to deal with deviations in flight. There are almost no margins of errors once you are wheels up.

In flight school, there is no in-flight refueling training. Yes, there maybe a couple hrs in the air on how to fly formation for in-flight refueling, but the real familiarization of in-flight refueling and its certification lies with the line squadron. So if your squadron is tasked with cross country with in-flight refueling and your pilots do not have sufficient experience, this situation is qualified for the charge of 'lack of training' should any mishap occur.

If your squadron is issued with new hardware, like a new engine, this situation definitely falls under the charge 'lack of training' should any mishap occur.

If most of your pilots are new graduates, this situation definitely falls under the charge of 'lack of training' should any mishap occur. Simply put, you do not have enough experienced pilots to mentor the younger ones.

While the article do not have much details, the charge of 'lack of training' cannot be so casually dismissed just to satisfied national pride.

RIP. be interesting to know what's the cause of the heli crash

Those 3 pilots didn't have to die, they encountered some problem while in flight and tried to maneuver the chopper away from populated area but failed and hit a mountain cliff. they could've survived if they hadn't tried to do those maneuvers.
20191024072017283.jpg

20191024072018341.jpg

20191024072022303.jpg

20191024072018480.jpg

20191024072018421.jpg

20191024072020431.jpg

20191024072021672.jpg

948.jpg

20191024072023210.jpg

20191024072014960.jpg

20191024072025943.jpg

949.jpg

951.jpg

Last edited:
Fatal crash highlights Chinese air force’s flaws, with drill and equipment problems implicated in deaths of three, including pilot who flew in National Day military parade
  • The deaths of three airmen in a helicopter crash and a second accident days later point to problems with training and equipment
  • The crashes happened within a span of 10 days, amid an increased number of intensive drills
883e254c-f70d-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_image_hires_003205.jpg

Engine flaws and a lack of training have been identified as the likely causes of two accidents that hit the Chinese air force in the space of little over a week – one of which claimed the lives of three airmen.

Deaths from the crashes, which happened within a span of 10 days, included a helicopter pilot who took part in the National Day grand parade at the start of the month.

A number of military sources said that as the air force stepped up its exercises – part of President Xi Jinping’s call to strengthen the “combat readiness” of the military – more accidents would happen as increased drills exposed technical problems and inadequate training.

“[If these problems are not resolved], it is foreseeable that more accidents will happen because the top brass is pushing for more drills and exercises across the military,” said one source close to the air force.

The fatal accident happened about three weeks ago in central Henan province, when a transport helicopter crashed, killing all three people on board.

89f98ade-f70d-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_1320x770_003205.JPG

Gong Dachuan, 33, was one of the airmen killed in the crash.

Local television reports named pilot Gong Dachuan, 33, and 37-year-old engineer Wen Weibin, as two of this killed in the crash. The third victim was later named as Luo Wei, from Luzhou in Sichuan, by an online mourning website.

A memorial for Gong was held by the local government in Xinye County last Tuesday.

“The three people were conducting some tests on the helicopter,” said a local source who declined to disclose where the crash happened and the nature of the test.

897d3588-f70d-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_1320x770_003205.JPG

Xinye county government in Henan province held a memorial to honour the dead pilot.

Media reports said that Gong had flown in this year’s National Day parade in Beijing, while Wen had been decorated for his participation in the 2015 parade in Beijing to mark the 70th anniversary of victory over Japan in World War II.

The three dead airmen have been designated as martyrs, the reports added.

The second accident happened eight days later on the Tibetan Plateau where a J-10 fighter jet on a low-altitude flying drill crashed into the mountain.

“Fortunately, the pilot ejected safely in time, but the J-10 crashed into the mountain,” said an informed source, who requested anonymity since no official announcement about the accident has been made.

“Preliminary investigations indicated that the accident had something to with the Russian-made AL-31 engine on board the J-10,” the source said.

Military analysts said the air force needs to improve the durability of its aircraft and training for pilots.

Hong Kong-based military expert Song Zhongping suggested that problems with engines and flight control systems were also key reasons behind some of the fatal crashes.

893559fc-f70d-11e9-87ad-fce8e65242a6_1320x770_003205.JPG

Wen Weibin, 37, also died in the crash.

Two J-15 fighter jets crashed in April 2016, resulting in one death and one serious injury. Investigations into the two crashes pointed to problems with the flight control system.

A source from the Chinese air force said that, unlike their American counterparts, PLA pilots generally lack training in avionics engineering and had little flying experience before enlistment.

“PLA pilots may be strong and courageous, and they are motivated to make sacrifices,” the air force source said. “But they don’t have as much experience as American pilots – many of [whom] have a lot of experience in flying civilian aircraft before they join the air force.”

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/mil...tal-crash-highlights-chinese-air-forces-flaws

NOTE- Please do not bring up India here, as we all know we have a pretty pathetic record as for crashes. Its about China here.
The helicopter pilots are from PLA Army, not PLAAF.

Those 3 pilots didn't have to die, they encountered some problem while in flight and tried to maneuver the chopper away from populated area but failed and hit a mountain cliff. they could've survived if they hadn't tried to do those maneuvers.
20191024072017283.jpg

20191024072018341.jpg

20191024072022303.jpg

20191024072018480.jpg

20191024072018421.jpg

20191024072020431.jpg

20191024072021672.jpg

948.jpg

20191024072023210.jpg

20191024072014960.jpg

20191024072025943.jpg

949.jpg

951.jpg
China isn't fighting any wars and conflicts, that's the closest thing for honoring war heroes in China.

Died does it mean the airforce is bad and lack of training? So how many crashes USAF has? If just a few crashes will indicated lack of adequate training, I guess USAF will long belong to sub standard AF. China has the world second largest military budget , second behind US and not to mention, the PPP allows China to have more training and afford more things compare to counterpart. This article is trying to misled readers, all this is due to lack of adequate issue. I can answer , if talks about lack of funds for military. China will be last on the list compare to other countries.

Stop divert the issue. It's not about died of pilots. Tell me which airforce don't have crashes? The only airforce that don't crashes are airforce that don't fly and train. But to try misled readers that the world second largest military budget countries has lack of adequate training is simply a big joke.

Diverting the issues? the issue is literally about the crash.
You guys did your normal tricks of questioning the source (you guys should really get some new training, its always "what-about-ism", questioning the source, or calling people hypocrites. Its easy to see through that) so I just asked if the source was Chinese or not.

So what is it? Is the source not Chinese and if it is Chinese then why are you questioning it?

Indian military planes top the crash list by a big margin, followed by US
Well I said that in the beginning . We have a pathetic record, and the single biggest reason is , we dont make most of our own jet systems. And russian engines are hard to maintain and unreliable. You guys facing the same problem with AL-31 engines.

LOL Exactly. The first thing crossing my mind. The IAF are experts at crashing aircraft.
I knew the pakistanis cant help it but to bring IAF here who have a bad record and I have mentioned at the start here and 1000s of threads have been made about it. Still they cant help their obsession and try to divert.

Well I said that in the beginning . We have a pathetic record, and the single biggest reason is , we dont make most of our own jet systems. And russian engines are hard to maintain and unreliable. You guys facing the same problem with AL-31 engines.

I knew the pakistanis cant help it but to bring IAF here who have a bad record and I have mentioned at the start here and 1000s of threads have been made about it. Still they cant help their obsession and try to divert.
Accidents happened at any time at anywhere, so why you guys so obsessed China Military failures, what so special about this crash @bl33d

Accidents happened at any time at anywhere, so why you guys so obsessed China Military failures, what so special about this crash @bl33d
Because anything regarding PLA is hard to come out because of their strict information control. Btw, same can be applied on you on how you react to any IAF crash. Why are you trying to question the information is beyond me. Dont like to hear anything wrong about your Chinese brothers?
Also please learn how to use the word "obsessed" properly. How many articles regarding Chinese crashes are there? Comparing to their size of military and also owing to the fact that they dont have completely indigenous systems, we hardly hear anything going wrong in their military. A little too good to be true.

Because anything regarding PLA is hard to come out because of their strict information control. Btw, same can be applied on you on how you react to any IAF crash. Why are you trying to question the information is beyond me. Dont like to hear anything wrong about your Chinese brothers?
so this is your troll thread against China, am i talking right @bl33d

so this is your troll thread against China, am i talking right @bl33d
This my reporting of news, something hard to come by from Chinese sources. Grow up man. Trolling is a privilege that Pakistani users have here because its their forum.
Also learn the use case for "troll". Sigh!!!!

This my reporting of news, something hard to come by from Chinese sources. Grow up man. Trolling is a privilege that Pakistani users have here because its their forum.
Also learn the use case for "troll". Sigh!!!!
And you (indians) are not trolling here most of indian comes for troll here on PDF included you @bl33d

And you (indians) are not trolling here most of indian comes for troll here on PDF included you @bl33d
I represent myself, wont speak for anyone else. Just because you dont like my opinion, you find it trolling. Just grow up.

I represent myself, wont speak for anyone else. Just because you dont like my opinion, you find it trolling. Just grow up.
the answer is simple and clear Chinese govt put strict censorship to all media/website, similar to old days of Soviet Union in cold war and every one knows it @bl33d

Back
Top Bottom