What's new

Fair? - A documentary about skin colour in India

You have not got the point and context of the debate. Argument is not they are beautiful or not. Argument is they are considered beautiful because they are white and got place in Bollywood even if they don't know acting and cannot speak the language. These Bollywood actress are not the representative of Indian woman who are brown/dark skin.

Do you think that the most popular actresses such as Angelina Jolie or say Jennifer Lawrence in any way represent the average American woman? So why is it that when it comes to Hollywood the incidence of having an exceptionally beautiful woman be on the screen is not considered some deep seated psychological issue but with Indians it is so?
When have you seen an "ugly to the eye" actress become a sex symbol?
No movie stars are ever chosen for being average (unless they are exceptional actors and usually in character roles)..they are chosen because they stand out from a beauty standpoint!

The average American doesnt look black either (purely based on demographic numbers)..so how do you explain the popularity of black talent in the United States outside of the black race?

Why Bollywood don't take black african girls as Bollywood extras dancing with hero? Why they are always white Eastern European?

Because movies are a business and sex sells! If white women is what sells in movies thats what will be used! Your definition of beauty has a lot to do with exposure. When more exposure to black women increases, the demand for black women in movies will increase too..
Mind you, I didnt find black women attractive until i moved to the US...now Im all gaga over them...its all about exposure.

When America crowned its first dark Skinned Indian woman as a major beauty pageant winner comments flooded in from Indian about the color of her skin and the fact that she would not have been considered beautiful in Indian due to her skin color.

We have no lack of self haters in my country...and Im sure you have crossed paths with a ton from your side as well..
No matter what, the current Ms. USA would be considered beautiful in India as well...those claiming otherwise are lying to themselves and the world to get some media attention.
For every fair skinned beauty in bollywood, i can list a dark skinned one...for every ms. India that was "gori", Ill list you a dark one....What remains common among them is that they are beautiful universally ie. features, hair, eyes, personality etc.

read the few opening posts

Its not fair to attribute the faults of the few to those of the many....

India is a land of 1.2 billion people....you will find all sorts of complexes, problems, psychological issues that plague them...a majority of us have varied opinions.

I can explain to you my side of the story based on my experiences and studying my people..you can choose to believe it or not.
No doubt that the color of the skin is an issue in India...but it is not an Indian phenomenon ONLY!
Its a human phenomenon....tied sometimes to history, culture, religion etc...
BUT to make it out to be an India only problem is a far stretch!

You have not got the point and context of the debate. Argument is not they are beautiful or not. Argument is they are considered beautiful because they are white and got place in Bollywood even if they don't know acting and cannot speak the language. These Bollywood actress are not the representative of Indian woman who are brown/dark skin. Why Bollywood don't take black african girls as Bollywood extras dancing with hero? Why they are always white Eastern European? When America crowned its first dark Skinned Indian woman as a major beauty pageant winner comments flooded in from Indian about the color of her skin and the fact that she would not have been considered beautiful in Indian due to her skin color.

You are partially right.

BUT during its birth, bollywood was started by Punjabi/urdhu/hindi speakers of north India. Most people within the industry already had family/social ties. And it catered towards "that crowd".

Later on , I guess because the actors conversed theri dislodges in hindi/urdhu ... they opened up to a wider audience.

Now\ Bollywood has a world wide appeal (so to speak) ... which is why they dont add black girls in the background. Because as racist as this may sound, most people in the worst would not consider seeing black African women as being attractive. (look into who other than non desi people watch Bollywood).

Bollywood hire primarily based pretty faces, just as to why WWE employs the fitness models rather than legit wrestler. In the end its a business.

Had Bengali films (both industries started around the same time btw) been the primary industry back when it started, I am certain we would have seen East, and central looking Indians dominate the industry.

I am assuming you are not a north Indian...because in North India men cover their head with atleast small handkerchiefs.And women too.
yea its a pahari tradition to cover your head when you enter a temple.

Now\ Bollywood has a world wide appeal (so to speak) ... which is why they dont add black girls in the background.
Because as racist as this may sound, most people in the worst would not consider seeing black African women as being attractive. (look into who other than non desi people watch Bollywood).
And that should be the reason why we have soo many snow maiden with frozen expressions in hindi movies.Thankfully we still have a handful of actresses who can act.Yes I agree this is a business and bollywood caters to its audience.

hadoken said:
Had Bengali films (both industries started around the same time btw) been the primary industry back when it started, I am certain we would have seen East, and central looking Indians dominate the industry.
Wow!!!
How do you know so much about hindi film industry???

hadoken said:
yea its a pahari tradition to cover your head when you enter a temple.
No its not just a pahari tradition,I think even gujratis cover their head.
But I am perplexed:blink:.How do you know so much about India??o_O
Your flags 're different.And neither do you look like a hindu.
U.P, Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh also.though its not compulsory.
I am not sure about Delhi and below.And yes its not compulsory.

And that should be the reason why we have soo many snow maiden with frozen expressions in hindi movies.Thankfully we still have a handful of actresses who can act.Yes I agree this is a business and bollywood caters to its audience.

Wow!!!
How do you know so much about hindi film industry???
My mother is/used to be obsessed with bollywood. So I have always been exposed to it. From my childhood I have noticed the preference of certain types of features and skin tone in the hindi film industry. PLUS I read a lot of pointless things :D

No its not just a pahari tradition,I think even gujratis cover their head.
But I am perplexed:blink:.How do you know so much about India??o_O
Your flags 're different.And neither do you look like a hindu.
I am an ethnic Pahari from Nepal. Think of how Punjabis exist along both sides of the INDO_PAK borders... well its the same for us Paharis. Jammu to western Nepal is all our turf (where did you think I was from lol) :P .

I am not sure about Delhi and below.And yes its not compulsory.

hadoken said:
I am an ethnic Pahari from Nepal. Think of how Punjabis exist along both sides of the INDO_PAK borders... well its the same for us Paharis. Jammu to western Nepal is all our turf
Oh!
Just that i cant view the flags when on mobile .

You can't really say the British because it was always before that aswell as South Indians wanted to be fair like North Indians who in turn wanted to be like those in what is pakistan and those in pakistan wanted to be fair like afghans and Iranians so on and so on.

I prefer dark skinned girls but such is the curse.

south indians dont want to be like north indian,we are awesome on our own and nobody wants to be like the pathans,please dont try to boost your ego on your own.

I have never seen a Sri Lankan who looks like that girl in real like. LMAO is this reality?

she is half malay.

Vast majority of people in Sri Lanka are from Bengali ancestry so it's not a surprise. Jacqueline is half Sri Lankan, that's why she's different. What do you think of this one? She's a former Mrs.World

7567Sri-Lankan-politician-Rosy-Senanayake.jpg

I found Srilankan women of great healthy skin with nice sun and good fish to eat.

Gorgeous and i had to keep a watch over my Bengali husband who was very happy for the same reason.

Last edited:
lol
south indians dont want to be like north indian,we are awesome on our own and nobody wants to be like the pathans,please dont try to boost your ego on your own.

she is half malay.

I found Srilankan women of great healthy skin with nice sun and good fish to eat.

Gorgeous and i had to keep a watch over my Bengali husband who was very happy for the same reason.
yes we are all dogs :D

Indians are not hybrid....Indians are not a race or ethnicity.....Bengalis are a cethnic group....Tamils for example have a specific look.....Punjabis also have a general look(there are variations).

all 3 are linguistic classifications and there is no typical look.

Mind you, I didnt find black women attractive until i moved to the US...now Im all gaga over them...its all about exposure.

WWhat remains common among them is that they are beautiful universally ie. features, hair, eyes, personality etc.

We have never met on the boards. But I see we share similar great taste in Women. Good for you :)

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom