What's new

F-Insas Rifle Design Clears Audit, To Go Into Production From Jan 2012

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
Rifle factory develops weapon for future infantryman

Kolkata: The defence ministry may no longer have to search for an advanced rifle to arm the Indian infantry soldier of the future under the F-Insas project. Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) claims to have come up with an advanced variant of the existing 5.56 mm Insas rifle that will go into production from January, 2012.

“The rifle is an extremely modern weapon that will meet with the requirements of the future infantryman. Our designs have already cleared the audit and production is expected to start from January,” a source said.

RFI has already manufactured over a million Insas rifles for distribution among security personnel in India. The Insas was first introduced before the Kargil war and several variants have since been developed. When the Future Infantry Soldier as System (F-Insas) project was launched by the defence ministry, the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) got together to develop weapons for the soldier of the future.

Under the F-Insas project, the infantryman will be kitted with state-of-theart equipment including weapons, protective gear and communications systems. The soldier’s uniform would include bullet-proof clothing and the visor on his helmet would display maps and gunsights. The future soldiers would also carry palmtops and other advanced communications gear.

Among the weapons for the F-Insas project is a multi-calibre carbine for Close Quarter Battle (CQB) and a rifle. OFB has already developed the Milap multi-calibre carbine and handed it over to the Army for field trials. The carbine is modular in structure and can fire 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm and also 6.8 mm rounds. It also has an under belly grenade launcher for air-burst grenades. The OFB believes that this weapon that is expected to cost nearly . 50,000 apiece will solve the Army’s problems for days to come.

For the rifle, the defence ministry is on the lookout for something on the lines of the Israeli Tavor. In fact, nearly 5,000 Tavors have already been imported for use by the Special Forces. RFI sources say that the F-Insas developed by them at Ishapore would meet the ministry’s requirements and there would be no need to go in for further imports.

The efforts that have gone in for this project has bagged S K Rath of RFI the best general manager award from OFB. Although details were not available, sources revealed that the new rifle will be modular and have several advanced components. It may even have a computer chip inside.

“The first phase of the F-Insas programme should be completed by 2012. We believe that the rifle developed by RFI will meet the requirements of the Army,” an official said.

BATTLE-READY: Under the Future Infantry Soldier as System (F-Insas) project, the infantryman will be kitted with state-of-the-art equipment, including weapons, protective gear and communications systems. The soldier’s uniform would include bullet-proof clothing and the visor on his helmet would display maps and gunsights

Article Window

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note : I am not talking about MSMC.

4367071433_b4ea70c771.jpg

^^^ that is reall a good news. Its nice to know that 2011 has been proved to be a water-shad year for indigineous weapon development.

F-Insas project is a multi-calibre carbine for Close Quarter Battle (CQB) and a rifle. OFB has already developed the Milap multi-calibre carbine and handed it over to the Army for field trials. The carbine is modular in structure and can fire 5.56 mm, 7.62 mm and also 6.8 mm rounds.

:rofl::rofl:

Since no sane company was accepting the IA's demand so then ofcourse OFB steps in with its "cutting edge,next generation" technology.

onr thing stilll not clear to me is..... if there is a indigineous development happening for new rifle.. why is the new RFP for the new rifle that our govt issued...?

^^^
On army's insistence and can you blame them ?
INSAS is a good rifle but it was produced after generation of delay then how can you expect army to like it. I mean if it wold have entered in service in 1980s then army would have been happier.

Heard a news about global tender for the multi barrel rifles? then what is this?

Not sure this news is particularly significant, OFB have brought out multiple improved versions of the INSAS all of which have not been inducted into the IA. As angeldemon said this is old news and as the RFIs for foreign rifles/CQBs are more recent then it appears this news has had little effect on the IA.

But tbh I don't know 100% that this has nothing to do with F-INSAS, it just appears that way to me. The lack of transparency and the secretive way it is conducting itself is getting ridiculous, every week we are getting contradicting news relating to this project with no official word from DRDO/IA.

friend i have used both gun slr and insas. insas i far superior then slr it can be more refined if can short its barrel.
u say how bcoz it will effect range ?
1. one way moving maggin behind piston grip it will have same lenght for bullet in barrel but rifle leght will be reduced and less weight but again oppward during firing sound very near to ur ears in gun holding to sholder position.

2. smarter way magin itself act as pistion grip not like 9 mm in which magin is in side grip but magin itself designed as grip but it must has firm lock system to gun when inserted.
thank u.

friend i have used both gun slr and insas. insas i far superior then slr it can be more refined if can short its barrel.
u say how bcoz it will effect range ?
1. one way moving maggin behind piston grip it will have same lenght for bullet in barrel but rifle leght will be reduced and less weight but again oppward during firing sound very near to ur ears in gun holding to sholder position.

2. smarter way magin itself act as pistion grip not like 9 mm in which magin is in side grip but magin itself designed as grip but it must has firm lock system to gun when inserted.
thank u.

you doing a spell check would help immeasurably :)

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom