What's new

F-Insas Rifle Design Clears Audit, To Go Into Production From Jan 2012

friend i have used both gun slr and insas. insas i far superior then slr it can be more refined if can short its barrel.
u say how bcoz it will effect range ?
1. one way moving maggin behind piston grip it will have same lenght for bullet in barrel but rifle leght will be reduced and less weight but again oppward during firing sound very near to ur ears in gun holding to sholder position.

2. smarter way magin itself act as pistion grip not like 9 mm in which magin is in side grip but magin itself designed as grip but it must has firm lock system to gun when inserted.
thank u.

u in army?????

friend i have used both gun slr and insas. insas i far superior then slr it can be more refined if can short its barrel.
1. one way moving maggin behind piston grip it will have same lenght for bullet in barrel but rifle leght will be reduced and less weight but again oppward during firing sound very near to ur ears in gun holding to sholder position.

2. smarter way magin itself act as pistion grip not like 9 mm in which magin is in side grip but magin itself designed as grip but it must has firm lock system to gun when inserted.
thank u.

I have fired both the SLR is still better,SLR is a legendary rifle as it has been used by so many forces.

What security officer trying to tell is:
1- Bulpup design
2- Super vector config.

I have fired both the SLR is still better,SLR is a legendary rifle as it has been used by so many forces.

IMO the whole transition to the Insas system was unnecessary.They should have just held on to the SLR.It was a good infantry rifle. Only the CQB and COIN ops need a shorter smaller rifle, but from what we see today they prefer other rifles (like AK's and tavors) over Insas for that roles.And the main advantage of 5.56 rifles - automatic fire and higher number of rounds is kind of nullified in Insas due to its 20 round mag and 3 burst mode.

thank u.

Might work with pistol rounds, But how are u gonna wrap your fingers around a rifle mag ?

Might work with pistol rounds, But how are u gonna wrap your fingers around a rifle mag ?

I agree with you,if he is talking about firing technique some guys especially ex-russian army wrap the supporting hand around the front end of the mag rather than the barrel.

since late 90's the 7.62 NATO round hasnt remained the Assault rifle round,but its worth was proved in Afghanistan for US special ops when they if you see the rejected the SCAR in 5.56 but accepted the 7.62 NATO version.SLR did serve our army well and still does but OFB wanted to show "see we are using our rifle design,our steps towards indigenisation "

IMO the whole transition to the Insas system was unnecessary.They should have just held on to the SLR.It was a good infantry rifle. Only the CQB and COIN ops need a shorter smaller rifle, but from what we see today they prefer other rifles (like AK's and tavors) over Insas for that roles.And the main advantage of 5.56 rifles - automatic fire and higher number of rounds is kind of nullified in Insas due to its 20 round mag and 3 burst mode.

Well,it was the IA that specified the 3 round burst fire mode instead of full auto to conserve ammo.Even the USMC choso M16A4 with 3 round burst fire instead of the full automatic M4 Carbine due to its lack of killing power at over 250 meter distance.Besides,in the full auto mode even the 5.56X45mm NATO is next to impossible to control.

I agree with you,if he is talking about firing technique some guys especially ex-russian army wrap the supporting hand around the front end of the mag rather than the barrel.

since late 90's the 7.62 NATO round hasnt remained the Assault rifle round,but its worth was proved in Afghanistan for US special ops when they if you see the rejected the SCAR in 5.56 but accepted the 7.62 NATO version.SLR did serve our army well and still does but OFB wanted to show "see we are using our rifle design,our steps towards indigenisation "

Wrong.It was the army who wanted a replacement for SLR,not the OFB.And the INSAS was designed and developed by ARDE,not OFB.Because the later has no in house R&D base and they are totally dependent on DRDO/foreign companies.
By the way,I also had the chance to operate the SLR at Panagarh and Fort William Army camps during my days in the NCC.The thing that I liked the most was the shere power of the 7.62X51mm NATO ammunitions but I also didn't like the recoile,it seemed a bit too much to me.

Wrong.It was the army who wanted a replacement for SLR,not the OFB.And the INSAS was designed and developed by ARDE,not OFB.Because the later has no in house R&D base and they are totally dependent on DRDO/foreign companies.
By the way,I also had the chance to operate the SLR at Panagarh and Fort William Army camps during my days in the NCC.The thing that I liked the most was the shere power of the 7.62X51mm NATO ammunitions but I also didn't like the recoile,it seemed a bit too much to me.

Army wanted it because they wanted to shift to 5.56 like everyone else.Glad you liked the SLR,recoil will be a problem but its adjustable.

Holding on the mags might cause the weapon to malfunction, as magazine lips could move off the line of feed.

Totally, all that change for some highly questionable advantage.I wouldn't have had the same opinion if they had changed to something in lines of other 5.56 cal rifles.

I hope they don't compromise in terms of quality just coz it carries a made in India tag.

Army wanted it because they wanted to shift to 5.56 like everyone else.Glad you liked the SLR,recoil will be a problem but its adjustable.

Actually there is nothing to dislike the SLR.Some may say it's heavy but I would say it's the biggest advantage of SLR because had it been light,it would have been impossible to get stabilisation especially in the standing position.

I had also fired them when I was in NCC (West hill Barracks,Calicut). ;) I

Well,it was the IA that specified the 3 round burst fire mode instead of full auto to conserve ammo.Even the USMC choso M16A4 with 3 round burst fire instead of the full automatic M4 Carbine due to its lack of killing power at over 250 meter distance.Besides,in the full auto mode even the 5.56X45mm NATO is next to impossible to control.

Semi auto SLR and the 3 round burst Insas has a 20 round mag.Even though you could carry twice as many 5.56 rounds, in terms of aimed shots SLR has better numbers. It gets better when you take into account the need for long range killing power that the US need in Iraq and Afghanistan, both of which are similar to our western front.

I had also fired them when I was in NCC (West hill Barracks,Calicut). ;) I

Semi auto SLR and the 3 round burst Insas has a 20 round mag.Even though you could carry twice as many 5.56 rounds, in terms of aimed shots SLR has better numbers. It gets better when you take into account the need for long range killing power that the US need in Iraq and Afghanistan, both of which are similar to our western front.

The 20 round mag issue is not at all a big problem since 30 round mags for INSAS assault rifles already exist.IA just has to order them.And I think a full automatic assault rifle is totally unnecessary for a conventional battle scenario as soldiers tend to expend their ammo too rapidly similar to US soldiers in Vietnam(completely my personal view and I may very well be wrong).Besides,a rifle with 3 round burst fire mode is more complex to produce than a full auto one.
By the way,glad to know you were in the NCC.Those moments in the camps were best days in my life(ofcourse except the times of route march though)..

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom