What's new

F-16 Block 15MLU/50/52 Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read on another forum (from two very knowledgeable sources) that the current blk 52 can be upgraded with a APG-80 radar. The "spine" is not used on a lot of the blk 60's (It contains envionmental control systems for the radar on the twin seater only) The Israeli Sufa's have it and it is rumoured to be some sort of "wild weasel" or ECM system.
On the single seat models this ECS is in the dorsal fin fairing.

The Blk 60 was entirely "off the shelf" components so if the needs arise I am sure they could upgrade the Blk 52's (Or some of them)

Attachments

• F-16E.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 34
Nice information buddy ,, we talk lot about the technical ability of the F-16 after the MLU upgrades .. Are they really serious and giving this to us ?

I have read on another forum (from two very knowledgeable sources) that the current blk 52 can be upgraded with a APG-80 radar. The "spine" is not used on a lot of the blk 60's (It contains envionmental control systems for the radar on the twin seater only) The Israeli Sufa's have it and it is rumoured to be some sort of "wild weasel" or ECM system.
On the single seat models this ECS is in the dorsal fin fairing.

The Blk 60 was entirely "off the shelf" components so if the needs arise I am sure they could upgrade the Blk 52's (Or some of them)

Keysersoze,
According to Pshamim of Pakdef.info, who showed a transcript form a guy in LM, no F16 Bl 52 has been upgraded to carry APG80. I would tend to rely on his info as it is usually very accurate.He did say that it does not mean that it cannot happen, but someone would have to foot the bill for all the research that would have to be undertaken. This would make it a prohibitive prospect for PAF. my 2ps worth.
Wa Salam
Araz

Keysersoze,
According to Pshamim of Pakdef.info, who showed a transcript form a guy in LM, no F16 Bl 52 has been upgraded to carry APG80. I would tend to rely on his info as it is usually very accurate.He did say that it does not mean that it cannot happen, but someone would have to foot the bill for all the research that would have to be undertaken. This would make it a prohibitive prospect for PAF. my 2ps worth.
Wa Salam
Araz

Thanks Araz
I am aware of mr P's credentials and would take the info as being trustworthy. However I was merely pointing out that it is "possible" to upgrade the f-16's to that standard. There was a debate somewhere on this forum that the spine (which was thought by some to contain equipment for the APG-80) would be required for the radar to be fitted.
The price of course would be quite prohibitive as you and others have stated.

GD F-16C Cockpit.

7fbea9a58a6745c1f7fe6f2044b832dc.jpg

$68.8M Multi-national Order for JHMCS Fighter Pilot Helmets

Boeing in St Louis, MO received a $68.8 million indefinite-delivery/ indefinite-quantity, firm-fixed-price contract for Full Rate Production Lot 4 (FRP 4) Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems (JHMCS). At this time, total funds have been obligated. Work will be complete December 2009. The Headquarters Air Force Materiel Command at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH issued the contract (F33657-01-D-0026/Delivery Order 0058). The systems will be used on USAF F-15s and F-16s, MACH Brooks, the USN's F/A-18 platforms, and foreign military sales to Poland (F/16s), Belgium (F-16s), Pakistan (F-16s), Greece (F-16s), Royal Australian Air Force (F/A-18s), Switzerland (F/A-18s), and Canada (F/A-18s).

DID has covered the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing Systems (JHMCS) before, from its revolutionary effect on air combat when used with 4th generation SRAAMs like the AIM-9X Sidewinder, AA-11 Archer et. al., to the program's rocky but ultimately successful history. JHMCS helmets are now a common request from countries who are upgrading their US-made fighters (as DID noted, Canada is the latest as part of its Phase 2 CF-18 upgrade).

Boeing has contracted for more than 2,000 JHMCS systems over the past six years. They are the prime contractor and integrator for JHMCS, which is produced by the Rockwell Collins/ Elbit joint venture Vision Systems International, LLC, based in San Jose, CA.

Its a multi-national order, I wonder if our entire fleet of (possibly) 96 F-16's will have the JHMCS Fighter Pilot Helmets or just the new ones.

Taking aim

Pakistan is target of weapons deal that could be worth over $50m

01June 2007

BY CHRIS NELSON

ORLANDO, Fla. — The U.S. government awarded a contract last month to Lockheed Martin Corp.'s missiles division to sell jet-fighter, weapon-targeting hardware to the Pakistani military — the latest in a string of global arms sales for the company.

The contract, which Lockheed officials announced May 14, calls for the company's Orlando-based Missiles and Fire Control Business Development unit to build 18 Sniper XR advanced targeting pods for Pakistan's fleet of F-16 fighter jets.

The deal includes spare parts and training services. Financial terms were not disclosed, but the deal could be worth more than $50 million, based on the value of previous contracts. It reflects the U.S. government's ongoing efforts to equip foreign militaries it considers allies in the fight against terrorist groups such as Al-Qaeda, according to officials close to the deal.

da9f0f246576f9f397b5e2f20f630842.jpg

Lockheed Martin Corp. signed a deal to supply 18 Sniper XR advanced targeting pods to Pakistan for use on its fleet of F-16 fighter jets. The Sniper XR pod, shown above on a U.S. F-16, enables a pilot to track down and fire at enemy targets from a distance. Photo courtesy of Lockheed Martin Corp.

"This sale culminates a two-year combined effort by Lockheed Martin's Missiles and Fire Control and Aeronautics businesses to upgrade the precision attack capability of one of our key allies," Ken Fuhr, director of Fixed Wing Targeting Programs at the missiles division, said. "Sniper continues to demonstrate exceptional performance in meeting the requirements and expectations of the war fighter."

The Bethesda, Md.-based company is the world's largest defense contractor, with an international payroll of more than 140,000 people. It is divided into five business segments: aeronautics, which includes the F-16 and F-22 fighters; electronic systems, encompassing everything from missiles and submarine warfare systems to homeland security systems, radar and postal automation systems; space systems, which includes satellites, strategic missiles and airborne defense systems; and integrated systems, which makes command, control and communication systems and reconnaissance/surveillance systems; and information and technology services.

3c907d40e3ff17cd2b8924a0a37ae87c.jpg

The laser-based missile-guidance system enables pilots to track down and shoot at enemies from beyond the range of fire. It incorporates a high-resolution, forward-looking infrared camera that takes pictures using the infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum, a laser spot tracker and a color-capture television display for the pilot.

"Sniper allows pilots to identify [airborne] threats and either pass that information along to ground forces, or, if the pilot is in a situation where he is allowed to engage the enemy, he can do so," Lockheed Martin spokesman Craig Vanbebber said. "It keeps pilots out of harm's way — they can see the enemy before the enemy can shoot."

The pod itself measures 11.9 inches in diameter, 94 inches in length and weighs 397 pounds; it is bolted to the underside of the jet and provides the pilot a wide view of the horizon.

Sniper is currently used by the U.S. Air Force and other foreign militaries on the F-15, F-16 and F-18 fighter jets; the A-10 Thunderbolt, a single-seat, twin-engine attack jet; the B-1 Lancer long-range bomber and the Harrier GR9 jet fighter.

The Pakistan contract is the fourth such international deal in as many months that Lockheed has reeled in for Sniper. In April, the company received a contract worth an estimated $100 million to supply the Canadian military with the system. Other recent international customers include the United Kingdom, Norway, Oman, Belgium, Poland and Singapore.

The deal drew immediate criticism from U.S. lawmakers, chief among them U.S. Rep. Frank Pallone, Democrat from New Jersey, who derided it as nothing more than a reward to Pakistan for providing moral support to terror groups fighting India.

"I'm opposed to all military assistance to Pakistan — we first allowed it in the aftermath of 9/11 — but my view is we should be providing economic development aid to Pakistan, and not military assistance."

Pallone, the founder and former co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans, expressed skepticism about Pakistan's efforts to reduce terrorist activities within its borders and along the country's shared border with Afghanistan, which is where Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is believed to be hiding.

"There are a lot of indications that Pakistan has not been that helpful in the war on terror. They continue to allow Al-Qaeda to operate there and just really haven't stepped up to the plate on this," he said.

Pallone also accused U.S. President George W. Bush of not allowing Congress the opportunity to study the transaction before its completion. The Bush administration considers Pakistan a valuable ally in the ongoing search for terrorists; as such, it argued that the nation deserves U.S. military support.

"The problem is [Congress] doesn't get to vote on this — we don't vote on these kinds of transfers," Pallone said. "On many occasions I don't even know what we're transferring to Pakistan; we get no information about what is going on. Sometimes I find out about these deals by reading the newspaper the next day."

6b929d63b2d434fa6d6a797c7339c6a3.jpg

Lockheed Martin Corp. has signed a recent deal to supply Pakistan with 18 Sniper XR advanced targeting pods, above, for the country’s fleet of F-16 fighter jets. The deal includes spare parts and training and could be worth about $50 million. Photo courtesy of Lockheed Martin Corp.

http://www.indusbusinessjournal.com...91&tier=4&id=7173522717644C5EAD5BA299607978A5

"The problem is [Congress] doesn't get to vote on this — we don't vote on these kinds of transfers," Pallone said. "On many occasions I don't even know what we're transferring to Pakistan; we get no information about what is going on. Sometimes I find out about these deals by reading the newspaper the next day."

Seems like Pallone is getting too much cash from India? :D

Pallone, the founder and former co-chair of the Congressional Caucus on India and Indian Americans...[/quite]
Enough said...:cheesy:

50/52+ denotes the capability to carry JDAMs, APG-68(V9) and HMCS among other upgrades over 50/52. Although many of the older 52's are also getting the V9 retroactive.

what are those upgrade
what are they used for

Guys, I am a Wikipedia editor and would like to update Pakistan's aircraft fleet chart.

I would love to know the following info if anyone knows:

1. How many F-16 A's is Pakistan getting from this deal?
2. How many F-16 B's is Pakistan getting from this deal?
3. How many F-16 C's is Pakistan getting from this deal?
4. How many F-16 D's is Pakistan getting from this deal?

I'm talking about the embargoed aircraft and the new aircraft which will be delivered to the PAF, not the MLU's. Basically, I need the breakdown of the F-16 models being acquired in this deal so I can update the fleet chart on Wikipedia.

Guys, I am a Wikipedia editor and would like to update Pakistan's aircraft fleet chart.

I would love to know the following info if anyone knows:

1. How many F-16 A's is Pakistan getting from this deal?
2. How many F-16 B's is Pakistan getting from this deal?
3. How many F-16 C's is Pakistan getting from this deal?
4. How many F-16 D's is Pakistan getting from this deal?

I'm talking about the embargoed aircraft and the new aircraft which will be delivered to the PAF, not the MLU's. Basically, I need the breakdown of the F-16 models being acquired in this deal so I can update the fleet chart on Wikipedia.

Sorry, I may not be of much help but the breakdown is not known for either the C/D block or the A/Bs. What I can tell you is that PAF is still looking for A/Bs currently with the help of USAF that would make sense for it to put through MLU. And *ALL* PAF F-16 A/Bs (the ones already in inventory and those that are being acquired) will undergo MLU (PAF has already requested the MLU Kits for the all of the A/Bs).

Sorry, I may not be of much help but the breakdown is not known for either the C/D block or the A/Bs. What I can tell you is that PAF is still looking for A/Bs currently with the help of USAF that would make sense for it to put through MLU. And *ALL* PAF F-16 A/Bs (the ones already in inventory and those that are being acquired) will undergo MLU (PAF has already requested the MLU Kits for the all of the A/Bs).

Very true sir, it is a soup of aircraft plus with the options of 33 more Blk 52+, its even more of a mystrey. Only the next 2 to 3 years will unveal what we really are acquiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom