What's new

F-16 Block 15MLU/50/52 Fighter

Status
Not open for further replies.
One more thing....PAK_ARMY....that signature of yours is a marine corp cadence so it is not "unknown"! Also you have managed to get all the words wrong :lol:

US renews fighter exports to Pakistan

Daily Times Monitor

Saturday, September 08, 2007

LAHORE: The United States recently delivered two used F-16B jets to Pakistan and announced plans to donate another two dozen, reports Arms Control Today.

In a deal announced last September, the US is also set to sell Pakistan 18 new F-16C/D fighters for delivery in 2010 and upgrades for its current fleet of 34 F-16 combat aircraft.

US Ambassador to Pakistan Anne W Patterson said at a July 10 transfer ceremony at the Pakistan Air Force’s Sargodha base, that the planes are “symbolic of our commitment to assist Pakistan in improving its ability to secure its territory.”

Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood Ahmed has said he expects 10 more used jets to be delivered by the end of 2008. A Department of Defence spokesperson told Arms Control Today on July 25 that Pakistan will not pay for the used, older model F-16s, whose flying conditions vary, but will assume the costs for refurbishing and modernising them. The US government cleared Islamabad last year for about $2.1 billion of new weapons, avionics, engines, and other equipment for F-16 fighters.

In late 2005, the US donated two F-16A fighters to Pakistan in the first transfer of fighter aircraft since 1990. That year, President George HW Bush blocked arms sales to Pakistan because his administration would not certify under US law that Islamabad did not possess a nuclear device.

Seeking Pakistan’s allegiance after the September 11 attacks, President George W Bush waived the prohibitions.

Pakistan is supposed to begin receiving the 18 new, top-of-the-line F-16C/Ds in three years and has the option to purchase 18 more. Under US law, Congress was notified of the possible sales, and the House International Relations Committee subsequently convened a hearing in July 2006 in which members blasted the Bush administration for not sufficiently consulting them about the deal.

Legislators did not block the transaction – that would require a two-thirds supermajority – but some strongly rebuked the administration.

Administration officials assured Congress that the planes would be subject to more strict security measures by Pakistan and more robust US oversight than in previous transfers between the two countries. “We’ve put into the deal that (Pakistan) must comply with the approved security plans before we’ll release any systems in a sale,” then-Assistant Secretary of State for Political-Military Affairs John Hillen testified.

These “security plans,” according to Hillen, would include “a very enhanced end-use monitoring programme (and) semi-annual inventories of all F-16 aircraft, equipment, and munitions, including related technical data.”

Bush signed into law on August 3 legislation that could block future F-16 transfers. The Implementing the 9/11 Commission Recommendations Act prohibits the sale of military equipment to Pakistan if it is not “committed to eliminating the Taliban” within its borders.

India, has publicly worried about the US F-16 transfers. The Pentagon, however, noted in June 2006 that the exports “would not significantly reduce India’s quantitative or qualitative military advantage.” Still, India is exploring the purchase of US combat aircraft to fill its procurement goal of 126 planes. India is eyeing both F-16s and F-35 Joint Strike Fighters, but it may instead opt for Russian MiG-35s.

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

The is published in today's DT, but seems to be old. I'm confused about the dates referred to in the article.
Can someone please clarify? :confused:

I think we have total of 36 aircrafts by now. Can anyone confirm it?

you are correct intially he had 32 + 2 In 2005 and 2 on Jult 2007...that makes 36

off-topic:are F/A-18s Hornets(not the super ones) better than the Falcons?oh well there are so many versions of the latter aircraft...yeah....

DIGITAL RADIO FREQUENCY MEMORY (DRFM) is not present on PAF new F-16's EW suites.
Details of the potential sale to Pakistan
I just want to know how much impact this will have in AA or AG role

Not having DRFM means that while flying the F-16 over enemy territory, in case the craft is subjected to electronic jamming by the opposing air force, the F-16 is unable to record these jamming signals and direct them at the enemy in real time as it is flying over them. The solution to this is effective ELINT missions flown by other platforms like the Erieye and existing DA-20 Falcons that can pick up the signatures of the various emitters on the other side.

The challenge is to be able to record the signatures effectively and then use them during hostilities without getting them identified as peacetime signatures (all airforces use different frequencies during peace and wartimes when emitting from their radar sources).

So not having a DRFM would require PAF to rely on existing library of threat signatures/emitters that IAF would typically use. I am oversimplifying this EW piece..there is a whole lot more to it (you can easily google it). However despite that, the EW hardware on the F-16s is very effective (ALQ-131 in service with our existing F-16s is still widely used by NATO Airforces). So I think DRFM is a "nice to have" but its not an essential for the conduct of missions.

I think we have total of 36 aircrafts by now. Can anyone confirm it?

Including these 2 we have now a total of 40 F-16 right now.

Regards
Wilco :pakistan:

After June there was no other delivery. Even if there was, then that makes it 38.

Original 32
December 34
June 36
September (IF delivered) 38.

I think we had 38 before, & including as you say 4 then it make it 42.

Regards
Wilco :pakistan:

My number is 36. 2 + 2 have been delivered on top of the existing 32.

that is correct:
32 existing
12 from USAF (original a/c for PAF-embargoed)-to be delivered by mid-june-08
14 from USN (original a/c for PAF - embargoed)- not yet finalised as USN un-willing. ANG a/c were offered but rejected.
question is--> which country will perform the MLU. USA, Turkey or in-house?

MLU will be performed either in Turkey or in Pakistan. Not anywhere else.

Earlier reports conformed that MLU will be performed in Pakistan, engineers will be trained by LM in USA.

It is correct that reports have been about several changes but I do not see Pakistan investing that much in MLU upgrade cause I hardly see a reason to go for local production for just a few planes. We knew PAF wanted K8 production but opted for other ideas. I think that Pakistan wants indeed get a few more tained engineerd but purely for kind of TOT that would have been missed if everyting would have been done outside Pakistan. But I do remember that there are some deals that Turkey would do the major parts of the MLU. Then the planes would have fly to a US base in Europe and after that allowed to be delivered... The usual practive which cannot be done if MLU will be in Pakistan...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom