What's new

F-14A vs F-15I

A Bradley took down an Abrams?

Ah, we have an arms saleman on the forum.

I can't see that would make any difference.

The F-14 is much larger and less maneuverable than the F-15. No matter what "improvements" Iran may have made to the F-14 it can't get beyond the limits of the airframe.

1. You've never heard of the 20 mm were fired from M2, cause engine damage for M1

LIbtart friend claims 2 M1 Abrams were knocked out by 25mm Bushmaster - AR15.Com Archive
Abrams Vulnerability [Archive] - Military Photos

2. Oh, with IRST in WVR it will have one advantage if the RCS of the F15 is small and they do not need radar to handle F15.

3. Hey Su-35 and Su-30MKI is greater than the F-16, but they don't belong to the same class maneuverable, Su-35 is a supermaneuverable

If f-14 really is as great as Vietminh is desperately trying to prove, then why has the US totally discontinued using it. Currently US has not even a single f-14 in it's fleet. Please understand that f-14 is old and it's glory days are long gone.

Hardly anybody believed it in that thread. The purpose of the 25mm cannon is to knock out light vehicles and penetrate buildings and it does this very well. It is not to injure tanks; IFVs aren't supposed to be employed that way. On the other hand, Soviet/Russian IFVs are equipped with larger weapons since their generals have the philosophy that every armored vehicle has to be able to kill tanks. This made them less useful when it came to urban operations - something I think showed up in suppressing the Baltic and Armenian disturbances in the last years of the USSR. (The Czech and Hungarian revolts don't count since the USSR hadn't deployed IFVs yet.)

2. Oh, with IRST in WVR it will have one advantage if the RCS of the F15 is small and they do not need radar to handle F15.
I don't know.

3. Hey Su-35 and Su-30MKI is greater than the F-16, but they don't belong to the same class maneuverable, Su-35 is a supermaneuverable
We're talking about the F-14 and F-15, not those cool Sukhois. (As for MiGs, these seem to be more dangerous to their pilots and bystanders at airshows than to any potential enemy.)

If f-14 really is as great as Vietminh is desperately trying to prove, then why has the US totally discontinued using it. Currently US has not even a single f-14 in it's fleet. Please understand that f-14 is old and it's glory days are long gone.
for the same reason that they didn't make more than 280 F22 .... operating it was very expensive ... and with Sovit fall , there was no more danger from it and his bombers ......

well , even if we have enough fighter , we could retir F14 long time ago ... operating , fixing and overhauling F14 is very expensive ...... it swallow our air force yearly budget and doesn't left anything for new projects ......... we need give extra budget from other sections .... that why we didn't move forward in air force ...

when something is expensive for USA army then for us ....

Tomcat is still a killer machine, they were retired because the USA had to spend huge money to keep them operational otherwise they would have used it right now.

another reason is that Tomcat only had good score for Iran air force ... USA army couldn't even shout down one aircraft with Phoenix missile (tomcat main weapon ) ....

USA army couldn't even shout down one aircraft with Phoenix missile ( main weapon of tomcat ) ....
That appears to be true. There was little opportunity for the U.S. to employ the Phoenix-equipped F-14 before it was retired. The U.S. has fought few air battles after Vietnam, though its pilots train hard. In 1991 and 2003 Iraqi pilots fled once the radars were turned on - something they had learned the hard way from the Iranians. A few other times the Phoenix was fired at extreme range so the target aircraft escaped or outmaneuvered the missile.

(Oh, and it was the U.S. Navy only that employed the Phoenix; the Air Force never had them and the Army doesn't fly fixed-wing jet aircraft.)

Is this a comedy thread or what?

You people are seriously debating this?
It IS a comedy thread. We got one gullible Viet patching together words trying to sound 'testical'...I mean...'technical'.

That appears to be true. There was little opportunity for the U.S. to employ the Phoenix-equipped F-14 before it was retired. The U.S. has fought few air battles after Vietnam, though its pilots train hard. In 1991 and 2003 Iraqi pilots fled once the radars were turned on - something they had learned the hard way from the Iranians. A few other times the Phoenix was fired at extreme range so the target aircraft escaped or outmaneuvered the missile.

(Oh, and it was the U.S. Navy only that employed the Phoenix; the Air Force never had them and the Army doesn't fly fixed-wing jet aircraft.)

when I use Army , I mean all of USA arm force and for sure USA navy and USA army are part of USA arm forces .... I knew that your Navy using different fighters than your army and your army never operate F14 just like your Navy that never operated F15 ....

F-14 is an airplane that need 24 hour of maintenance after 8 year of flight , now can you explain to me how after 30 year of cannibalism any of it can still fly , after all we just had 79 of them to begin with .
mate..i am talking about war time maintenance. aircrafts fly 2 or 3 times more sorties than in peace time...also ff 14 is a front line fighter and will take most of the burden...third i am just stating the draw backs your airforce suffers that does not mean that you will loose the war...PAF also faced the same scenarios u guys r facing rite now...heck at one time pilots were flying without ejector seats. and yet sorties were done for many years but in war time it gets hard..unless u have the manufacturing line for the aircraft in your country...

Iranian antique F-14A with home made adaptation of Hawk missiles have no any chance against F-15I with AMRAAM and Python 5 missiles and modern EW suite.

F-14 is an airplane that need 24 hour of maintenance after 8 year of flight , now can you explain to me how after 30 year of cannibalism any of it can still fly , after all we just had 79 of them to begin with .
mate..i am talking about war time maintenance. aircrafts fly 2 or 3 times more sorties than in peace time...also ff 14 is a front line fighter and will take most of the burden...third i am just stating the draw backs your airforce suffers that does not mean that you will loose the war...PAF also faced the same scenarios u guys r facing rite now...heck at one time pilots were flying without ejector seats. and yet sorties were done for many years but in war time it gets hard..unless u have the manufacturing line for the aircraft in your country...
When there is a definitive end, not merely shortage because shortage often implies logistical problems other than manufacturing, of parts, the aircraft in peace time will operate with increasing war time condition.

Over time, these stats will increase:

- Cannibalism
- Hangar queen
- Down time

...Will decrease:

- Fully Mission Capable (FMC)

When I was active duty, for a while I used to teach Aircraft Battle Damage Repairs (ABDR)...

2951st CLSS A-10 Warthog ABDR of the Gulf War
...in ABDR you get the easiest, or smallest damaged aircraft repaired first to get them in the air faster.
What could be done for an F-111 may not be applicable to an F-16. For example, the flight control 'push-pull' rod in the hydro-mechanical F-111...

FLIGHT CONTROL MECHANISMS
In a push-pull tube system, metal push-pull tubes(or rods) are used as a substitute for the cables (fig.4-11). Push-pull tubes get their name from the way theytransmit force.
...Can be replaced with a cut to length strong wooden rod wrapped by aluminum from a soda six pack. This is good for that 'one more mission' type of repairs. Of course, this 'one more' usually mean 'one last' for aircraft and crew.

This is not applicable to the fly-by-wire F-16.

Iranian F-14s have been flying under near war time conditions for decades. USAF ABDR instructors have several cabinets full of tricks that can keep pre fly-by-wire aircrafts flying for that 'one last' mission. The longer an aircraft flies that way, the worse this kind of 'band aid' solutions become common place and taken for granted, and the worse the jet flies. Problems that normally would ground and 'hangar queen' a jet are written off as 'fly as is' or FAI. I once speculated about writing a book of my USAF years titled 'FAI And 04BQ'. The '04BQ' is USAF code for indefinitely back ordered part.

Iranian F-14s will be decimated on the first day by F-15A, let alone the more advanced I versions.

another reason is that Tomcat only had good score for Iran air force ... USA army couldn't even shout down one aircraft with Phoenix missile (tomcat main weapon ) ....
The US Army doesn't operate fixed-wing craft....so of course it didn't get kills with any. (at least not since WW2)

Back
Top Bottom