What's new

F 14, the forgotten jet?

I read an interview given by a Aircraft carrier. These are still very useful, and can still out do many of the modern aircraft systems. He said price of maintenance, was part of the problem. The biggest reason is that the US forces wants to stop making spare parts for the F-14s. Because they could some how get to the Iranians; this is why they destroyed most of the F-14s and only kept a few which is usually not the case for most aircraft, which are decommissioned and this would not have been done to the F-14s, if it hadn't been for Iran, bringing the fleet back to operational status.

If the US does not trust itself to keep F-14s away from Iran, why would it trust any other country?
No. The true reason is financial. Prior to the F-14's decommission, each aircraft carrier sail with several TYPES of aircrafts: fighters, refuelers, EW, and helos. Parts must be available for all of them. The logistic burden made their officers desirable employees in the civilian world. The F-18 Super Hornet platform changed all of that. It allowed the ship to sail with more weapons, for the aircrafts and for the ship itself, is not as dependent on replenishment as before, and actually made the fleet more mobile. Supposedly even the E-2 AWACS was not spared the logistic reduction knife. The older version had counter-rotating props but the newer version does not, that made parts to counter-rotate one engine unnecessary. E2 pilots must use their airmanship to fly an properller driven aircraft that has no counter-rotating prop to compensate for torque.

Understanding Propeller Torque and P-Factor - wiki.flightgear.org
Torque effect is the influence of engine torque on aircraft movement and control. It is generally exhibited as a left turning tendency in piston single engine propeller driven aircraft.

This correction induces adverse yaw, which is corrected by moving or trimming the rudder (right rudder).
The US Navy wanted an aircraft carrier group to be less dependent upon logistics as possible while deployed. The F-14's age aided the decision.

Remember the Intruders? The A6E's and the F14's were replaced by a single multirole aircraft. The F18.

2921799204_d1e0b15258.jpg

A PAF F-7P with F-14 during Inspired Alert, Karachi 1995

PAF vs USN "exercise"
March 12 2009 at 4:11 PM

Airforces Monthly
Article in the May 1993 issue (pages 46-47 by Sergey Vekhov)

An article in the May 1993 issue (pages 46-47) of Airforces Monthly, a reputable UK-based air defence magazine, written by a Russian aviation writer, Sergey Vekhov, for the first time in public, provided a first-hand account about the PAF's pilots:

"As an air defence analyst, I am fully aware that the Pakistan Air Force ranks today as one of the best air forces in the world and that the PAF Combat Commanders' School (CCS) in Sargodha has been ranked as the best GCI/pilot and fighter tactics and weapons school in the world". As one senior US defence analyst commented to me in 1997, "it leaves Topgun (the US Naval Air Station in Miramar, California) far behind".

International Defense (June 24, 1998)

The PAF, although outnumbered by IAF, has at least one qualitative edge over its rival: Pilot Training. The caliber of Pakistani instructors is acknowledged by numerous air forces, and US Navy pilots considered them to be highly 'professionals' during exercises flying off the USS Constellation (as co-pilots).

3348301677_79675b9f01_o.jpg

NO. 8 SQUADRON'S "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE" SUCCEEDS
1500 HOURS - 30 MAY 1995

Flying a few feet above the Arabian Sea, the two Mirage pilots are impressed by the awesome silhouette of the nuclear-powered Abraham Lincoln as the carrier looms gradually above the sea curvature, dead on the nose. The mission: To penetrate successfully the Carrier Task Force's early warning and perimeter defences and, to deliver a simulated Exocet guided missile attack on "the world's largest warship". The memorable sortie was flown during "Inspired Alert" - a Pakistan-US joint exercise. O.C. No. 8 Squadron, strictly following the ground rules, planned and led a simultaneous multidirectional attack profile against CVN-72, in an attempt to overload its defence. As two of the three Mirage pairs turned away, the lead Mirage carried out a simulated Exocet "launch" from several miles away, without meeting any of the ship's fighters. The Squadron Commander and his wingman later did a friendly fly by at the carrier's side, perhaps just as surprised as the Lincoln's crews, at the missed interception.

Wing Commander Asim Suleiman Leader and O.C. No 8 Squadron
Flight Lieutenant Ahmed Hassan Wingman

I am quoting from a member.

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Interesting incident: In one of the "Inspired Alert" exercises, the PAF pilots were supposed to try to get "as close to the aircraft carrier" as possible without detection, and accomplish other tasks. USN was tasked to detect Pakistani intruders and USN fighters (F-14s) were to intercept them. Both sides had complete freedom in selecting their strategy. The USN was very confident that the PAF Mirages would not be able to get too close, mainly because their RADARs and other equipment were superior to anything Pakistan had. To their amazement, not only did 2 Mirage fighters get "as close as possible", they even flew low beside the aircraft carrier, "buzzing" the deck.

They stayed undetected by flying dangerously low over the sea under RADAR cover, and by creating diversions and fooling them into thinking the main intruders were coming from a different direction (other Mirages, I think). By the time they realized that 2 Mirages had made it close, it was too late to interecept them. This forced even senior USN pilots to react.

I read this story in a book about PAF exercises, but I have forgotten its name. I have also forgotten many other details, like the name of the carrier, the year of the exercise and the exact Mirage type (III or V). All I remember is that they had an artist's concept picture on a full page, showing two Mirages zooming towards the deck of a USN aircraft carrier and the sun setting in the distance.

WAFF | World's Armed Forces Forum: PAF vs USN "exercise"

Back
Top Bottom