What's new

Extreme heatwave in India and Pakistan causes power and water shortages | Global Warming | Fossil Fuels | Renewable energy

Sir Pakistan is in the same boat, apart from IK and his environmental policies , what actions have previous lota governments taken to protect our environment?

Remember the state out Forrest’s were in during Zardari era? Shambolic. There is no planet B and I can’t wait for nature to press the reset button and wipe us all away from this place.
At least IK tried.

Sir Pakistan is in the same boat, apart from IK and his environmental policies , what actions have previous lota governments taken to protect our environment?

Remember the state out Forrest’s were in during Zardari era? Shambolic. There is no planet B and I can’t wait for nature to press the reset button and wipe us all away from this place.

Let nature do this reset after I am gone, not when I am young.:angel:

Last edited:
The record-breaking heatwave in India and Pakistan is gripping other parts of South and Central Asia as well.

Will the heatwave in India break in time for Eid?​

An unprecedented heatwave in South Asia this month has brought dangerously high temperatures to over a billion people this week. India and Pakistan have been hit the hardest. Temperatures topped 113 degrees F (45 degrees C), but the World Meteorological Organization said today (April 29, 2022) that temps in parts of India may ease by May 2, which corresponds to the date of Eid, a major Muslim holiday. Meanwhile, experts suggest that the heat in parts of Pakistan and northwestern India will likely continue through next week.

The heatwave began in late March for northern India and Pakistan and spread into the first weeks of April. Although heatwaves are not uncommon in this region during the pre-monsoon season from April to June, residents and meteorologists have noted that this heatwave was the earliest they could remember.

Some observers are suggesting this heatwave pattern might become one of the longest-lasting in recent decades. Some are calling this year the year without a spring.

More heat for coming weeks​

The average temperature in India in March 2022 was about 92 degrees F (33 degrees C), the warmest March ever recorded since records began in 1902.

Forecast models vary for different parts of the Indian subcontinent. Some models indicate that parts of Pakistan and northwestern India could reach temperatures near 120 degrees F (50 degrees C) over the weekend and through next week. Major cities such as Delhi and Lahore are forecast to reach 113 degrees F (45 degrees C). These temperatures are 18 degrees F (10 degrees C) warmer than the normal high temperatures for April, and would approach the all-time record temperatures for the month. Temperatures in major metropolitan areas can be further exacerbated by the urban heat island effect, increasing local temperatures a few degrees higher than the surrounding countryside.

Due to these forecasts, officials issued heat wave warnings for 10 major cities in India. Last week, some regional educational systems shut down all schools for five days. Heat wave conditions should last at least eight more days before abating.

And there’s a rainfall deficit​

In addition to the heat, the region has also recorded a significant rainfall deficit in the pre-monsoon season since early March. According to the Indian Meteorological Department, many Indian regions are experiencing a 99% deficit in normal rainfall amounts.

There are growing concerns about the potential for regional food shortages if the lack of rainfall continues.

Unusually high temperatures also spread north and east through Asia. Temperatures reached over 95 degrees F (35 C) in both China and Taiwan. South Korea measured temperatures around 86 degrees F (30 C) earlier this month, coming close to nationwide records for the month of April.

Technically, the heat hasn’t been one continuous heatwave since the beginning of March. Still, this spring will likely be one of the warmest two-month periods on record for South Asia.

Heatwaves develop under high pressure systems that can form south of the jet stream. In Eastern Asia, a stubborn “ridge” in the jet stream has remained persistent since early March, allowing the high pressure system over the region to become unusually strong. This traps the atmosphere in a heat dome that can last for days or even weeks. Relief usually comes in the form of rainfall or a cold front.

Experts don’t expect the monsoon season to begin until June or July for much of the region. So it’s possible the heat in South Asia will continue into the summer months.

A heatwave is a silent killer​

Heatwaves are a “hidden” type of severe weather, according to the World Health Organization. They are often overlooked as a dangerous type of weather that can kill. Whether through strained power grids or reductions in water availability, heatwaves hey can quietly kill thousands of people living in vulnerable situations.

In 2015, a similar heatwave (hot enough to melt roads) killed over 500 people in New Delhi alone. The elderly or sick are the most likely to be impacted, but everyone outdoors or without air conditioning are at risk from extreme temperatures.

Bottom line: An unprecedented heatwave in India and Pakistan in April 2022 has brought dangerously high temperatures to over a billion people. Some experts predict May 2 – corresponding with the date of Eid – for when the heat will end.
-------

Pakistan: Heatwave alert issued as temperatures top 48°C in April​

The extreme heat threatens crops and flooding from melting glaciers, Met Office warns
WPK pakistan-1651221289337

People cool off at a swimming pool during a hot summer day in Lahore on April 28, 2022.Image Credit: AFP
Islamabad: With temperatures in Pakistan soaring at 48°C in some parts of rural Sindh, Pakistan’s climate change ministry issued a heatwave alert in all provinces and advised people and authorities to take precautionary measures.
Pakistan Met Office said that most parts of Pakistan would experience “above normal” temperatures and remain in the grip of heatwave conditions during the current week till May 2.

The extreme heat has threatened crops, increased fire risks and flooding from melting glaciers, Pakistan Met Office said. Pakistanis are also experiencing long power outages in sweltering heat and during the month of Ramadan, making fasting even more challenging. “This is the first time we are seeing this scorching weather in April in Islamabad. Usually, we experience this weather in June,” said 32-year-old schoolteacher Saba Usman.
“The unannounced and long load-shedding hours in Ramadan have made things even worse,” she complained. Islamabad city recorded a maximum of 39C on April 28.
lol at the swimming pool to beat the heat
many Lahoris (like lower, lower middle-class ones) go to BRB canal to beat the heat, not swimming pools - summer used to be a fun time because of it, especially for teenagers on their summer vacation
I have done everything from boating, fishing to morning walks but not swimming cause that looks off to me...- my dad did and I heard back in the day summer heatwaves were a proper festival with - kulfi, ice creams, that colored ice crushed things, kites, and evenings where the city descends on this canal

I am not too sure if this festival-ish tradition still lives on (I saw it last time around but that was the 2000s)
people do boating
CdVhXhLW4AAgPfz.jpg

images (3).jpg

fishing

walk around in the morning
Photo_26-02-2017,_11_45_32_AM.jpg

swim
lahore-2nd-june-2014-people-swim-in-a-canal-to-beat-the-heat-as-temperature-E1EGY0.jpg

lighting at night
DHISWD6XgAAHuKa.jpg

DaZ00GGWkAAe7gn.jpg

summer ain't all that bad :) there's a bright side to everything

Last edited:
One interesting factoid about solar energy: the efficiency of solar energy actually drops with increase in temperature. The panels also breakdown sooner under such weather conditions resulting in a loss of ROI

There is nothing you can do in terms of preparing for a heatwave. All you can do is build awareness and have strategic water reserves!
Government can erect shelters on crowded roads and put water stalls that public can use in emergency. I've seen such measures in India :pop:

lol at the swimming pool to beat the heat
many Lahoris go to BRB canal to beat the heat, not swimming pools - summer used to be a fun time because of it, especially for teenagers on their summer vacation
I have done everything from boating, fishing to morning walks but not swimming cause that looks off to me...- my dad did and I heard back in the day summer heatwaves were a proper festival with - kulfi, ice creams, that colored ice crushed things, kites, and evenings where the city descends on this canal

I am not too sure if this festival-ish tradition still lives on (I saw it last time around but that was the 2000s)
people do boating
View attachment 839372
fishing
View attachment 839375
walk around in the morning
View attachment 839378
swim
View attachment 839381
lighting at night
View attachment 839380
summer ain't all that bad :) there's a bright side to everything

Nobody cares about you Lahoris.

Think about poor people of interior Sindh and south Punjab my self absorbed lahori kotha eating fraand.

Politics aside, only IK emphasized on tree plantation and environmentla issue at PM level. We need tree plantation and water harvesting in Pakistan. By Lattitude (see map), we shd be barren but it was river system of Indus and Ganges that made area green. With depleting water, we must encourage tree planation and water reservoir.
our land was (and still kinda is) barren so for us we need to go that extra mile cause 100 years ago before canals we were a semi-desert type of area- I heard if you dig a little you find sand-ish soil not proper soil

Politics aside, only IK emphasized on tree plantation and environmentla issue at PM level. We need tree plantation and water harvesting in Pakistan. By Lattitude (see map), we shd be barren but it was river system of Indus and Ganges that made area green. With depleting water, we must encourage tree planation and water reservoir.
💯

The environment is just ignored in this part of the world. Water should be treated with more value than gold.

We need to plant trees everywhere, we need to preserve and store water, we need to have solar panels on every roof, we need to paint all the roofs white.

We need to build our homes in styles and Materials that are suitable for the climate.

We need innovative home design and city planning to reduce the temperature.

We need all bikes, rickshaws and buses to be electric in urban centres.

There is so so much that can be done in less than a decade to revolutionise our societies.

Nobody cares about you Lahoris.

Think about poor people of interior Sindh and south Punjab my self absorbed lahori kotha eating fraand.
tu hume khush nahi hone de gaa?
besides don't yall have canals
When a city like Bangalore becomes warm enough to discourage outdoor activities, you know it is bad. Most newspapers are giving headlines like "Hottest summer in 72 years etc". This IMO actually is detrimental to the awareness about climate change. It tells you that even 72 years back if things were this bad, then the reason must be something else and not climate change.

What media needs to report is that the incidence of hotter than usual summers are increasing and winter is shortening.
isn't Bangalore in southern India which is supposed to be tropical in nature and near the equator? seems natural for it to be hot
@DrJekyll

One interesting factoid about solar energy: the efficiency of solar energy actually drops with increase in temperature. The panels also breakdown sooner under such weather conditions resulting in a loss of ROI

Government can erect shelters on crowded roads and put water stalls that public can use in emergency. I've seen such measures in India :pop:
exactly

Last edited:
isn't Bangalore in southern India which is supposed to be tropical in nature and near the equator? seems natural for it to be hot
@DrJekyll

Bangalore is at an elevation of 3000 ft so much cooler than other cities in the Deccan plateau and by far the coolest city in India that is not in the hills. Maximum summer temperatures used to be around 33 degrees. Now they have started hitting 37 regularly.

tu hume khush nahi hone de gaa?
besides don't yall have canals

@DrJekyll

exactly

India has blocked sutlej. Lot of poor people live in chuggis in cholistan. It’s already bad enough for them but with heatwave it will only be worse.

Any way to fix this mess?

The world is now going renewable, but needs time to have to that target. I see 2030 we will have significant use of solar power and other renewable, mostly is conducted by rich countries, developing nations will meet the target quite late.

See your government program and their energy mix usage target in 2030, this can be debated during your next election,

Back
Top Bottom