What's new

Extreme heatwave in India and Pakistan causes power and water shortages | Global Warming | Fossil Fuels | Renewable energy

lol at the swimming pool to beat the heat
many Lahoris go to BRB canal to beat the heat, not swimming pools - summer used to be a fun time because of it, especially for teenagers on their summer vacation
I have done everything from boating, fishing to morning walks but not swimming cause that looks off to me...- my dad did and I heard back in the day summer heatwaves were a proper festival with - kulfi, ice creams, that colored ice crushed things, kites, and evenings where the city descends on this canal

I am not too sure if this festival-ish tradition still lives on (I saw it last time around but that was the 2000s)
people do boating
View attachment 839372
fishing
View attachment 839375
walk around in the morning
View attachment 839378
swim
View attachment 839381
lighting at night
View attachment 839380
summer ain't all that bad :) there's a bright side to everything
Good to know, summer heat and winter has little effect where I live. Almighty gifted us with moderate climate throughout the year, no winter, just mild summer and frequent rains. Successive governments have taken care good care of the environment. Lots of trees and water harvesting, very low pollution.
Untitled.jpg

We get rainfall like twice or thrice every week. Infact, its raining outside now. Rest of South Asia has to wait for monsoons to get relief, here monsoons means almost non-stop rains for 3 to 4 months. We receive around 3000mm to 3500mm yearly rainfall, for comparison Lahore receives around 620mm
WaterParks are a good idea to beat the heat, have many water parks where I live.
https://cashkaro.com/blog/best-amusement-parks-in-kerala/22780

Sometimes, after work, I go with my friends for stroll on marine drive. Eat some momos and ice creams.
an-evening-scene-from-marine-drive-cochin-kerala-india-AJK3TD.jpg

Or once in blue moon go one boatride with them. very rare now since boats are slow and takes lot of time. Now, due to many bridges, boats are mostly ferrying tourists, before these boats were like buses, ferrying people from one jetty to another in the back water areas.
image.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault (1).jpg
    maxresdefault (1).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 28
  • maxresdefault (2).jpg
    maxresdefault (2).jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 23
  • luluaboutus.jpg
    luluaboutus.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I had planted 3500 trees last monsoon and planning the same quantity this year. Last year, I made one miyaki forest. This year, I am planning one mord.
you should make a thread on it- how did you do it? techniques you used? on an individual basis or with an organization?
it can serve as an example for the rest of us :)

India has blocked sutlej. Lot of poor people live in chuggis in cholistan. It’s already bad enough for them but with heatwave it will only be worse.
although I feel bad for them - but I was just saying how blessed people in Lahore are to have a natural swimming pool for the poor man- I heard it got a bit bad in the mid-2010s but the city cleaned it up
Every city has things for the middle class, rich men to beat the heat just like here you can go to water parks etc but this is a blessing for the poor man which has become a festival of sorts
That's all I was pointing toward- not trying to bring down the suffering of poor people during a heatwave in the rest of the country
I know it gets bad and no one wishes for heatwaves
hope this clears things up

Last edited:
you should make a thread on it- how did you do it? techniques you used? on an individual basis or with an organization?

although I feel bad for them - but I was just saying how blessed people in Lahore are to have a natural swimming pool for the poor man- I heard it got a bit bad in the mid-2010s but the city cleaned it up
Every city has things for the middle class, rich men to beat the heat just like here you can go to water parks etc but this is a blessing for the poor man which has become a festival of sorts
That's all I was pointing toward- not trying to bring down the suffering of poor people during a heatwave in the rest of the country
Why not use drones to plant trees ? For example.
  • Hara Bhara Campaign:
    • The idea of the campaign is to accelerate the mission of reforestation by planting one billion trees using drones by 2030 in the country.
    • The project uses drones to disperse seed balls over thin, barren, and empty forest lands to turn them into lush green abodes of trees.
    • The ‘seedcopter’ which is a drone developed by Marut Drones is an aerial seeding solution for rapid and scalable reforestation.
https://www.drishtiias.com/daily-updates/daily-news-analysis/hara-bhara-aerial-seeding-campaign

Where I am now, temperature is 21 degrees,no sun all day.
Cloudy with light drizzle now and then.
Less population, less cars, less factories, more greenery, more trees, fresh air.
Yeah I am in India(not in mountains though)

People are simple, not wealthy, perhaps poor in comparison to mainland.
But here needs are less and unnecessary aspirations are rarer.

If you are interested you should look into water cup started by Amir Khan, he is real life hero. He started Paani Foundation. which is biggest Permaculture project on Earth.

If you are interested you should look into water cup started by Amir Khan, he is real life hero.
His interview with ravish kumar on the foundation is awesome. Not highlighed in media that much.

The solar tech just isn't there yet for us to abandon coal entirely. A lot of new developments, and many older societies have begun to incorporate solar panels for heating water etc apart from having good power backup, it does help with electricity bills to an extent but the biggest consumers of electricity are not people in the houses, it is these massive factories, plants, but then do pay more for the electricity too. Nuclear energy is definitely something which needs to be implemented on a bigger scale but then that brings with itself risks of a different nature.

I do agree with you but we cannot stay dependent on coal for a longer period of time. It has its consequences as well one is air pollution. I have seen hell lot of solar panels in Metro stations, Don't know how much energy does it produce but we have our role to play in it.

When a city like Bangalore becomes warm enough to discourage outdoor activities, you know it is bad. Most newspapers are giving headlines like "Hottest summer in 72 years etc". This IMO actually is detrimental to the awareness about climate change. It tells you that even 72 years back if things were this bad, then the reason must be something else and not climate change.

What media needs to report is that the incidence of hotter than usual summers are increasing and winter is shortening.

@-=virus=-, this is why I proposed the below for the good of the world. Glaciers are melting and cities are hotting up but the middle classes of India and China especially and of course the original culprits - the American followers of that idiot Henry Ford, sailing by in their cars :

His interview with ravish kumar on the foundation is awesome. Not highlighed in media that much.

Link please.

Solar power makes the least sense in rich countries since rich countries are mostly not in good solar conditions as well as the fact that the majority of the cost of solar is the installation and maintenance cost.

Solar power makes the most sense in poorer countries for those same reasons but in reverse.

Fact is that the subcontinent has gone through severe deforestation.
We need to declare anything north of Delhi Latitude as protected and plant trees as fast as possible.
Possibly put a one child limit for the coming 70 or so years and control population.
Fascinating. Speaking as a bonafide “Delhiite”, What do you think lies to the south of Delhi? Desert? Scorched earth?

Some of the biggest forest covers in the entire region (yours included) are further down south or to the north east. Over 21% of India has forest cover.

This is compared to hardly 2-5% forest cover on Pakistan. Not to mention how much of biodiversity there is already wiped out due to excessive hunting and exploration.

I agree on tree planting. But even that needs to be done carefully going forward. Botched execution can lead to less than perfect results — putting it mildly

Injuns are too concerned with being a supa dupa powa to care about the environment.
🤦🏽‍♂️🥲

Back
Top Bottom