What's new

Extreme Flood in Indus tributaries - 100s Die

Is it technically impossible to build dams on these rivers through Punjab to control the yearly floods? China and Egypt had similar problems with Yangtze- and Nile River until they build dams to control this overflow and loss of fresh water.

There Are Two Potential Off Channel Dam Sites In The Jhelum Rohtas and Bunhar Having A Capacity of 16 MAF and 9 MAF Each and Two Massive Off Channel Storage Sites On The Soan River Which Go Upto A Whopping 60 MAF A Potential To Totally Revolutionize Pakistan's Agriculture Once and For All But The Idiots At WAPDA Just Cannot Think Of Anything Beyond Kalabagh Dam :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Last edited:
Close to the border may be a good option and it'll create a defensive barrier too. But then again, these reservoirs (you'll need a few like 5 or 6), can be any where. The main idea is to use the canal system to take out the water from the river to create a gap inside the river or some water-hub so that it can accommodate incoming surge. A few of these with a round and round canal system that pushes water out for irrigation can easily accommodate a few million cusecs. Which is what you guys need.

Another idea is, use the canal system to take the water to where the Desert it. That's where you make these reservoirs and turn the Desert into an agriculture land slowly. Or just use the desert to host these reservoirs and slowly, businesses needing water (animal farms and fisheries) will open up there. Like I said to someone else, there are two dozen ways to do this and avoid floods or minimize the floods by like 90%.

The government is trying to commit to two other projects. Hopefully, they'll pay attention to this also.

Baluchistan government embarked on this idea. They've already built about 100 medium sized reservoirs. And that's tremendous effort.

What About Something Along The Model of The Salt River Project, You Know Diverting Water and Storing It In Underground Water Tables???????????

BTW Kacchi Canal Thal Canal and Rainee Canal Are Being Built To Take Extra Flood Water To Desert Areas

But if there is red tape and politics involved, doesn't meant that Science and Engineering can't provide the solution. It simply means you have politics involved which are way different and separate than the Engineering solution. This is an entirely Engineering based solution but if someone doesn't want to pay for it or use politics about this issue, then its not the Engineering that couldn't provide a solution, its nasty politics involved.

I agree with you 100%, below is my post that i posted at the beginning of this thread but Pakistanis cannot come out of "no, it is is not possible due to so and so reasons",

In almost every thing, we say our country is unique this or that is not possible, our terrain is unique this or that is not possible, our people are unique, this or that is not possible, etc etc ….

it is not the question of whether we can do it or we cannot make a dam on chenab

If the officials were sincere in solving the issues there are many countries who have working projects on how handle floods better than us, but would they learn from them? it won't solve the issue 100% but it would solve a big portion of it.

What About Something Along The Model of The Salt River Project, You Know Diverting Water and Storing It In Underground Water Tables???????????

BTW Kacchi Canal Thal Canal and Rainee Canal Are Being Built To Take Extra Flood Water To Desert Areas

Under ground water storage is very expensive, both, to build and maintain.

If Karachi project is doing that, then Punjab should see it, analyze it and do something like that ASAP. Just like Sindh learned the Metro Bus and they wanted to adopt it under the Circular Bus / Rail system. It is one country after all and all provinces can learn from each other.

The peak of flood in Chenab crossed 950,000 cusecs. This is worse in more than 30 years, I think.

There Are Two Potential Off Channel Dam Sites In The Jhelum Rohtas and Bunhar Having A Capacity of 16 MAF and 9 MAF Each and Two Massive Off Channel Storage Sites On The Soan River Which Go Upto A Whopping 60 MAF A Potential To Totally Revolutionize Pakistan's Agriculture Once and For All But The Idiots At WAPDA Just Cannot Think Of Anything Beyond Kalabagh Dam :hitwall::hitwall::hitwall::hitwall:

Rohtas one was started during Musharraf's era, that's where my village is. They bought some land but after that nothing.

I lack knowledge on this but there must be something Pakistan can do along with dealing with electricity shortage to prevent this?

This is getting ridiculous every year.

Bloody ganja gifted terrorist modi with mangos & terrorists modi gifted Pakistan with flooding by opening their spill ways.

PML-N & PPP are not bothered on making new dams in Pakistan to reduce the flooding's & store all the water, no plans ZERO. They are only worried about saving DEMOCRAZY, not Pakistan.
100 people died on Indian side already due to flooding... the water has crossed danger level in dams, even saint modi will release water... (although I should point out in India decision like this is most likely taken by concerned dept and not politicians)

we need to scrap Indus water treaty. This is the best time to dismiss the unequal agreement.

Can someone keep the Indians out of this threads
if it wer not the indian dams....more people might have died down the river in pakistan.........its coz of the ignorance of people like u.....many people died in pakistan even though prior warnings were given by various agencies including our media

for Pakistan the situation is just starting:

The floods will now enter open land mass of Sindh, where it usually causes havoc due to no proper dams or spillways.

this nation needs KALA BAGH DAM. but sadly Sindh and KPK oppose it.

if you keep opposing dams then keep getting flooded don't cry.

Govt Failed?? as if people in Pakistan expect relief from govt.
you only fail if you try, Pakistani govt does not even try so there is no chance of failing.

but here is a soney pe sohaga, Even people dont try to help them self. I saw this idiot on news channel saying "mere ghar main bhi sara pani ghus aya hay aur abhi tuk govt main koi help ke lye nehe aya"....This idiot should be hanged only for saying that. I have never seen, never witnessed, never even heard a third fourth or even a fifth person story where govt came to help someone.

While the people of Pakistan are loosing their lives to floods , the illegal Prime Minister of Pakistan is sending Mangos to India and in return india is opening the flood gates!

Nawaz Sharif has to resign , if not for the massive rigging then for the total failure of his government to tackle the flooding

While the people of Pakistan are loosing their lives to floods , the illegal Prime Minister of Pakistan is sending Mangos to India and in return india is opening the flood gates!

Nawaz Sharif has to resign , if not for the massive rigging then for the total failure of his government to tackle the flooding

NS may be a pompous a-s-s, but he is no King Canute who can order water to stop.

NS may be a pompous a-s-s, but he is no King Canute who can order water to stop.

His machinery for helping flood victims is visible only by its absence , if he cannot provide necessary services to the people than what for he should be PM ?

Back
Top Bottom