What's new

Extreme Flood in Indus tributaries - 100s Die

Rohtas one was started during Musharraf's era, that's where my village is. They bought some land but after that nothing.

He Should Have Started The Mega Dam At Soan.It Meant Within 4 Years A 40 MAF and 5000 MW Dam

PAK ARMY Soldier Carrying an Old Man from Flood Affected area.

army-says-2300-people-rescued-from-flood-hit-areas-1410106403-1622.jpg

NO POLITICS IN THIS THREAD. THIS IS FOURTH REMINDER!!!!

PS> I just realized that my thread has been merged with a political rant thread. Most unfortunate. In any case, keep this thread free of political idiocies.

@cb4 , sir I am trying to keep this thread free of politics. I hope you would not make other posts with NS & SS making rounds. I am letting your earlier post stay to counteract anti-government posts by @metalfalcon .

Last edited:
I am not sure if landing a MI17 is a smart thing to do over that roof top. Generally these roofs are, just, roofs. Not designed to support tonnes of weight.

I am not sure if it is resting on that roof top. It could be an illusion because of photography.

I am not sure if it is resting on that roof top. It could be an illusion because of photography.
It has firmly landed. The blades would have been a haze, wouldn't it?
On topic: Has there been any news on discussions of IWT in the past 2 days in Pakistan?

Last edited:
It has firmly landed. The blades would have been a haze, wouldn't it?
On topic: Has there is any news on discussions of IWT in the past 2 days in Pakistan?

The rotor 'disk' shows up when camera image exposure is slow, but one sees individual blades is image acquisition is fast.

I am not sure anyone is discussing Indus Water Treaty in Pakistan. Its only Indians who think India should be able to construct storage dams in IOK. Pakistanis are not interested in discussing this yet.

Warning issue yesterday about Indus:

GOVERNMENT OF PAKISTAN

PAKISTAN METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT

FLOOD FORECASTING DIVISION

46-JAIL ROAD LAHORE

Sr.No.:15

Dated:Saturday, September 06, 2014

SIGNIFICANT FLOOD FORECAST FOR RIVER INDUS AT GUDDU AND SUKKUR

GUDDU : According to latest hydrological condition River Indus at GUDDU is likely to attain High to Very High Flood level on 13th September to 14th September 2014.

SUKKUR : According to latest hydrological condition River Indus at SUKKUR is likely to attain High to Very High Flood level on 14th September to 15th September 2014.

All concerned authorities are requested to take all necessary measures to avoid any loss of life and property.

Time of issue: 22:30 PST

MUHAMMAD RIAZ

Chief Meteorologist

FFD, Lahore

042-99200139, 99205367

Distribution:

1. Chief Minister, SINDH.
  2. Federal Minister, Water & Power, Islamabad.
  3. Chairman NDMA, Islamabad.
  4. D.G. Engineers, Eng. Directorate GHQ, Rawalpindi.
  5. Chairman, Federal Flood Commission, Islamabad.
  6. Chief Secretary, SINDH
  7. Secretary, Irrigation, SINDH.
  8. Chief Engineer Irrigation SINDH.
  9. Secretary, Aviation Division, Islamabad.
  10. Secretary, Ministry of Water & Power, Islamabad.
  11. PDMA’S (D.G’S, All Provinces & AJK).
  12. All other concerned
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is interesting to note that today 921,000 cusec water was released from Tarbela. I fail to understand why, since the inflow is less than 150,000 cusecs. Maybe it is expected that Indus will receive increased inflow. But still releasing such a huge amount of water seems extreme.

There is no focus. There is no money. And I know of what I speak.

The proper engineering solution for the Chenab is extensive flood control levees.

Levees/Dykes are the only way out in flat topographical conditions. Which is how the countryside in Holland around Amsterdam exists. Maybe Orangzaib has overlooked that.
Levees help to retain the integrity of the river banks and the adjoining hinterland. In a densely populated area as West Punjab (there is nothing similar in USA) where is the vacant land to allow canals and lake systems to be created to absorb the run-off?
Are'nt there Levees around the Mississippi in USA to act as flood-control measures?

These rivers bring in much silt with their waters. Dredging is too costly for that amount. Besides, these rivers are relatively shallow and wide and prone to meandering, and spread their silt over vast areas. In certain ways, they help the fertility of the plains with the flooding.

Actually; that is the irony of these disasters. The inundated rivers bring down huge amounts of silt with them. Which will increase the fertility of the flood-plains in the future.
May be that part is unavoidable and to some extent desirable.

What is really needed is: an early warning and evacuation system in places that are vulnerable apart from the flood levee system as you suggested, to protect inhabited areas.

Last edited:
Warning issue yesterday about Indus:

GOVERNMENT OF PAKISTAN

PAKISTAN METEOROLOGICAL DEPARTMENT

FLOOD FORECASTING DIVISION

46-JAIL ROAD LAHORE

Sr.No.:15

Dated:Saturday, September 06, 2014

SIGNIFICANT FLOOD FORECAST FOR RIVER INDUS AT GUDDU AND SUKKUR

GUDDU : According to latest hydrological condition River Indus at GUDDU is likely to attain High to Very High Flood level on 13th September to 14th September 2014.

SUKKUR : According to latest hydrological condition River Indus at SUKKUR is likely to attain High to Very High Flood level on 14th September to 15th September 2014.

All concerned authorities are requested to take all necessary measures to avoid any loss of life and property.

Time of issue: 22:30 PST

MUHAMMAD RIAZ

Chief Meteorologist

FFD, Lahore

042-99200139, 99205367

Distribution:

1. Chief Minister, SINDH.
  2. Federal Minister, Water & Power, Islamabad.
  3. Chairman NDMA, Islamabad.
  4. D.G. Engineers, Eng. Directorate GHQ, Rawalpindi.
  5. Chairman, Federal Flood Commission, Islamabad.
  6. Chief Secretary, SINDH
  7. Secretary, Irrigation, SINDH.
  8. Chief Engineer Irrigation SINDH.
  9. Secretary, Aviation Division, Islamabad.
  10. Secretary, Ministry of Water & Power, Islamabad.
  11. PDMA’S (D.G’S, All Provinces & AJK).
  12. All other concerned
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is interesting to note that today 921,000 cusec water was released from Tarbela. I fail to understand why, since the inflow is less than 150,000 cusecs. Maybe it is expected that Indus will receive increased inflow. But still releasing such a huge amount of water seems extreme.

Floods First Destroy and Damage AJK Then KPK and Then PUNJAB and Finally Sindh, Its Height of Irony that Sindh is the BIGGEST Opponent of DAMS.The Biggest threat to Pakistan's Survival is ILLITERACY and ETHNICITY due to illiteracy. "DOOB K MARR JAIN Gay LAKIN DAM Nahi Bananay Dain gay" Sindhi Quaom Parast Logic.

Pakistan Army continues its unabated efforts for flood hit areas of Rawalpindi, Jhelum, Hafizabad, Gujranwala,Sialkot,Chinot, Mandi bahaudin and surroundings. Army troops have also been moved to Multan and DG khan, Liyyah, Sahiwal, Trimoo Headworks to meet in crisis situation.

In line with their traditions, Army troops are working at full pace and capacity to extend maximum help to their brethren in distress.
Today 16 x helicopters sorties were flown for rescue of trapped people. Today 2300 people were rescued by helicopters and boats from flood hit areas of Chiniot, Kot momin Phalia, Hafizabaz, Khanki,Qadirabad,Bajwat, Chaprar, Qadirabad, Khanki, Wazirabad and Mandibahuddin areas. Food packs were dropped by Army helicopters for people trapped in flood water at various places in Chiniot,Sialkot, Gujranwala and Mandibahauddin
Since start of relief Operation, Army troops has rescued more than 6500 stranded people to safer places. Besides ground troops, 300 boats and 5 Helicopters have been employed for rescue and relief activities.

DG ISPR

MI-171 Pakistan Army Aviation Medevac (Air Ambulance). An angel for many stranded people in floods these days.

Bw8n8FtCIAEcM1h.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom