What's new

EU bans Indian Alphonso mangoes

Windjammer

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
LONDON: The 28-member European Union has temporarily banned the import of Alphonso mangoes, the king of fruits, and four vegetables from India from May 1, sparking protests from the Indian community, lawmakers and traders.

The recent decision by the grouping's standing committee on plant health came after 207 consignments of fruits and vegetables from India imported into the EU in 2013 were found to be contaminated by pests such as fruit flies and other quarantine pests.

The temporary ban, proposed by the European Commission, includes mangoes, eggplant, the taro plant, bitter gourd and snake gourd, and prohibits the import to tackle the "significant shortcomings in the phytosanitary certification system of such products exported to the EU".

EU bans Indian Alphonso mangoes, four vegetables from May 1 - The Times of India

Damn all these rules and regulations :cray:

I want some Pakistani mangoes now....

Damn all these rules and regulations :cray:

More like airborne diseases.....
''fruits and vegetables from India imported into the EU in 2013 were found to be contaminated by pests such as fruit flies and other quarantine pests.''
I want some Pakistani mangoes now....
Naturally, nothing but the best dear.

More like airborne diseases.....
''fruits and vegetables from India imported into the EU in 2013 were found to be contaminated by pests such as fruit flies and other quarantine pests.''

Naturally, nothing but the best dear.
More like pests ...we dont call them airborne diseases :p:

Good for Pakistan!!
Now they can fulfill their requirement of mangoes from us...

Good news - alphonso's cost a bomb - the price might come down a bit locally.

Good for Pakistan!!
Now they can fulfill their requirement of mangoes from us...

Yup, fresh off the tree.

1463550_1406207946283225_463050337_n.jpg

Anyways they account for less than 5% of Indian exports of fresh fruits & veggies to EU:
Though the prohibited commodities represent less than 5 per cent of the total fresh fruits and vegetables imported into the EU from India, the potential introduction of new pests could pose a threat to EU agriculture and production, the committee noted.

EU bans Indian Alphonso mangoes, four vegetables from May 1 - The Times of India

The Good News is that this will lead to reduction in the prices of Alphonso mangoes in India.:)

well its something we can look at and improve

@Windjammer

btw.......what about our mangoes.....I've heard that there are only a few countries that import our mangoes (they are not banned there its just that they come in the market occasionally).....any business meetings on the verge between eu countries and us ????

I assume that since mango season is close by there should be and if not then they better start preparing :smitten:

Back
Top Bottom