What's new

Ethiopia: A socio-economic success story

Siddi people are Bantu people. They are not from Ethiopia or the Horn of Africa.

It's more plausible that some of the Mukrani families in Pakistan have Ethiopian ancestry but most of the Africans are probably not from Ethiopia but from all places of Africa. Ethiopia is really diverse. Every African country is. You have quite a lot of ethnic groups in Ethiopia that differ in looks, history etc. and are inhabiting different geographic regions of Ethiopia.

Oh really? You might be right but Africans are sometimes called "Habshis" in India. Where did we get this name from?

Oh really? You might be right but Africans are sometimes called "Habshis" in India. Where did we get this name from?

Arabic.

It's from Habesha. Arabic word as well. As is Siddi.

There are conflicting hypotheses on the origin of the name Siddi. One theory is that the word derives from sahibi, a Arabic term of respect in North Africa, similar to the word sahib in modern India and Pakistan.[4] A second theory is that the term Siddi is derived from the title borne by the captains of the Arab vessels that first brought Siddi settlers to India. These captains were known as Sayyid.[5]

You are welcome. You know what? I am quite a big fan of the Ge'ez script that we gave you nearly 3000 years ago. It's unique and beautiful. One of the oldest scriptures in the world.

I wonder how similar the Old Southern Arabian languages (Mehri, Hobyot, Soqotri, Bathari and Harsusi) are to the Southern Semitic languages of the Horn of Africa and Ethiopia in particular.

Also what language is this song sung in?

Is it Amharic?

Yes it's Amharic. Few are able to read the ancient Ge'ez script since it is no longer used and nowadays its spinoff afro-semitic language including Amharic, Tigrinya, and Tigre (Eritrea) are primarily spoken.

Yes it's Amharic. Few are able to read the ancient Ge'ez script since it is no longer used and nowadays its spinoff afro-semitic language including Amharic, Tigrinya, and Tigre (Eritrea) are primarily spoken.

So what is your food like? I heard it is similar to Indian

Siddi people are Bantu people. They are not from Ethiopia or the Horn of Africa.

It's more plausible that some of the Mukrani families in Pakistan have Ethiopian ancestry but most of the Africans are probably not from Ethiopia but from all places of Africa. Ethiopia is really diverse. Every African country is. You have quite a lot of ethnic groups in Ethiopia that differ in looks, history etc. and are inhabiting different geographic regions of Ethiopia.

Makranis are different than siddis of india.. both in their appearance,facial features and even their complexion.. one factor might be asymmetrical mating patterns between African women and autochthonous males during the process of genetic admixture... but here is what these guys say:

Haplogroup U9 is a rare clade in mtDNA phylogeny, characterized only
recently in a few populations of Pakistan (Quintana-Murci et al. 2004). Its
presence in Ethiopia and Yemen, together with some Indian-specific M
lineages in the Yemeni sample, points to gene flow along the coast of the
Arabian Sea. Haplogroups U9 and U4 share two common mutations at the
root of their phylogeny (fig. 2B). It is interesting that, in Pakistan, U9
occurs frequently only among the so-called “negroid Makrani” population.
In this particular population, lineages specific to sub-Saharan Africans
occur as frequently as 39%, which suggests that U9 lineages in Pakistan
may have an African origin (Quintana-Murci et al. 2004). Regardless of
which coast of the Arabian Sea may have been the origin of U9, its
Ethiopian–southern Arabian–Indus Basin distribution hints that its
diversification from U4 may have occurred in regions far away from the
current area of the highest diversity and frequency of haplogroup U4—
East Europe and western Siberia.

Ethiopian Mitochondrial DNA Heritage: Tracking Gene Flow Across and Around the Gate of Tears
Am J Hum Genet. 2004 November; 75(5): 752–770.

http://thenile.phpbb-host.com/sutra4610.php

A few examples of Makranis :

5460116449_a29cf39c7f_bsd.jpg

ManghoPirkarachimk.jpg

boyfrommubarakvillageka.jpg

The Semitic speaking Habesha people that make up about 1/3 of Ethiopia's population. Genetic tests have proven that they are a blend of Middle Eastern people (mostly from the nearby Arabian Peninsula) and locals. I am talking about paternal lineages here. They have a very exotic and in my humble opinion beautiful look. In appearance they differ completely from the remaining Sub-Sharan Africa.

Good looking and exotic looking people.

Our cuisine varies in different parts of the country but generally, it's similar to middle-eastern south Asian food.

Southern Arabian cuisine and Horn of Africa cuisines probably have most in common due to the millennium old trade relations and proximity. Just look at the qat and coffee link to make a few examples.

@al-Hasani be careful my friend. Tomorrow what if an Ethiopian troll comes and insults Arabs? Then you will have to call Ethiopians all kinds of names. Such is life on PDF.

@al-Hasani be careful my friend. Tomorrow what if an Ethiopian troll comes and insults Arabs? Then you will have to call Ethiopians all kinds of names. Such is life on PDF.

Well, only Habesha people count and they would not do such a thing.:lol:

Anyway Arabs and Ethiopians have a close relation and other Horners. So no problems there.

On the other hand I have noticed West Africans (Black nationalists) claiming every ME achievemens as their own, LOL.

Well, only Habesha people count and they would not do such a thing.:lol:

Anyway Arabs and Ethiopians have a close relation and other Horners. So no problems there.

On the other hand I have noticed West Africans (Black nationalists) claiming every ME achievemens as their own, LOL.

There are all kinds of mentally unstable people in this world. I'm sure there are Ethiopians who hate Indians to death and vice versa even though they have nothing to do with each other LOL.
Those Afrocentrics are crazy. They also claim Ancient India, China, Europe, and everything else under the sun. They are a mirror image of Eurocentrics.

Habesha are half Middle Eastern people and half local Africans. This is what gives them their exotic and distinctive look. They look very different from other Africans.

Hi Al-Hasani Habesha people are descendents of the southern yemeni hadramuts who moved to ethiopia and mixed with the local population when the mereb dam in yemen collapsed. Eritreans are different they are descendents of the old North yemeni Himyarites tribes mixed with the kushtic population of Eritrea. Habesh ancient language was sabean and Himyarites ancient language was and is Geez however sometime around 500ad the ethiopian habesh switched their language from sabean to Geez. Ethiopian habesh and Eritrean Aga'zyans look different on average Eritreans are much taller (I am 1.90 Meters tall) While ethiopian are short, Eritreans have more of chinese eyes, narrower face, smaller eye sockets and pointy nose while ethiopian have bigger forehead, bigger eye socket and broad wider noses, in 1993 upon Eritrean independence the term habesh was removed from eritrean constituation to identify any of eritrean population instead they referred back to their old geez Tribal names.

I wonder if it is good to invest in Ethiopia. I believe that one can make quick money there and other developing markets in Africa.

It's good for quick bucks but not for a long term investment, Ethiopians tend go through turbulance every now and then and since a minority ethnic group ruling ethiopia now and are giving away lands in areas where the majority ethnic group lives i would advise to approach carefully when it comes to any agriculture adventure for a long term as you are most likely would lose that land if the power shifted.

Iran should also be a good country to invest in for the future.

If you can trust them then go for it. I wouldn't trust them as far as i can throw them.

Some are troublemakers though like we saw in Riyadh in November. So not all of them are good.

Yeah alot of them in riyadh are trouble makers, idiots selling beer and stealing and on top of that what upset me is everytime they get in any trouble they claim they are eritreans so they would try to get more leniency staining the eritrean good image, There are more than 100,000 Eritreans in Saudia arabia some of them even national saudi's but it's only when the ethiopian started flocking in and making trouble then the saudi's suddenly figured that Eritreans and Ethiopians are not made from the same cement.

Eritrea are more close to the Arab world than Ethiopia and it's people too. Many Arab tribes live there and Arabic is official language but Eritrea was once part of Ethiopia but @Belew_Kelew is from Eritrea I think so he can tell more. I only know the basics.

Eritreans are more linked to arabs because of years of arab migration to Eritrea especially to the ports of massawa and Zula, firstly Most of Eritreans are of the old himyarite Tribes who moved to Eritrea in many waves starting from 3000 B.C, secondly the prophet of islam PBUH sent his daughter and companion to Eritrea who were protected by the Eritrean sea king ashrem abher and even today there is a village near the ancient capital of Debarwa where the village they stayed it's named "sahaba" in the local language. Ethiopians claim that the migration was to Ethiopia but the fact remians that the ethiopians made a deal with "Quareysh" from Mecca to start a war and capture those companions and return them but were defeated in a battle so most arabs from the gulf feel closer to Eritreans for this incident. The migration was to the sea kingdom which was Eritrea at that time not ethiopia.

If Eritrea sitll belonged to Ethiopia than it would be a coastal neighbor of Yemen and KSA again.

So in short it's time to invest in Ethiopia!

Eritrea will never be part of Ethiopia, we have fought wars with them for thousands of Years. As a saudi you should be thankful they are not on the red sea they are not a big fan of the GCC countries.

A very Bold statement coming from you hundred of thousands of Eritreans Gave away their lives to free eritrea again against the strongest army in africa at that time 1 million strong backed by both soviet and america against all odds imagine a country like bahrain today defeating Iran and occupying tehran for 3 years, Eritreans were known as fierce fighters and would smile upon seeing death facing them which resulted to even the john garang famous quote "Give me one Eritrean battalion and i will end the war in sudan, give an army full of Eritreans and i will end all wars in Africa".

There are all kinds of mentally unstable people in this world. I'm sure there are Ethiopians who hate Indians to death and vice versa even though they have nothing to do with each other LOL.
Those Afrocentrics are crazy. They also claim Ancient India, China, Europe, and everything else under the sun. They are a mirror image of Eurocentrics.

Afrocentrics have alot confident problems and you would find many of them are actually african american. Most of them are still effected by the slavery trade saga and want to fill their confident with things that is out of possibilities.

Hi Al-Hasani Habesha people are descendents of the southern yemeni hadramuts who moved to ethiopia and mixed with the local population when the mereb dam in yemen collapsed. Eritreans are different they are descendents of the old North yemeni Himyarites tribes mixed with the kushtic population of Eritrea. Habesh ancient language was sabean and Himyarites ancient language was and is Geez however sometime around 500ad the ethiopian habesh switched their language from sabean to Geez. Ethiopian habesh and Eritrean Aga'zyans look different on average Eritreans are much taller (I am 1.90 Meters tall) While ethiopian are short, Eritreans have more of chinese eyes, narrower face, smaller eye sockets and pointy nose while ethiopian have bigger forehead, bigger eye socket

Yeah alot of them in riyadh are trouble makers, idiots selling beer and stealing and on top of that what upset me is everytime they get in any trouble they claim they are eritreans so they would try to get more leniency staining the eritrean good image, There are more than 100,000 Eritreans in Saudia arabia some of them even national saudi's but it's only when the ethiopian started flocking in and making trouble then the saudi's suddenly figured that Eritreans and Ethiopians are not made from the same cement.

Ethiopians claim that the migration was to Ethiopia but the fact remians that the ethiopians made a deal with "Quareysh" from Mecca to start a war and capture those companions and return them but were defeated in a battle so most arabs from the gulf feel closer to Eritreans for this incident. The migration was to the sea kingdom which was Eritrea at that time not ethiopia.

Ethiopia is composed of dozens of distinct ethnicities and more than 90 different local languages are spoken in the country. It is true that Eritreans are unique but I think that the northern Semites in Ethiopia got a lot in common with Eritreans than the rest of Ethiopians. The average height of the different ethnicities in the country varies but I am also 1.90 meters tall. And I don't think it is possible to generalize the physical characteristics of all the ethnicities into one description..

I also heard the some Ethiopians were causing havoc in KSA. I deplored what they did and I think KSA did the right thing by deporting the baddies.

It is a historical fact that the first hijrah was to حبشة (ḥabasha)

Last edited:
Eritrea will never be part of Ethiopia, we have fought wars with them for thousands of Years. As a saudi you should be thankful they are not on the red sea they are not a big fan of the GCC countries..

I can't speak for all Ethiopians but I know for a fact that there are many of us who support our brothers in the GCC or anywhere else including Eritrea for that matter. It may be true that the land of al-Haramain is safer that the Ethiopian government is blocked from the red sea because recently, it has been conspiring against the religious tolerance that existed in the nation for many centuries by promoting and imposing a new hateful alien group called al Ahbash, which was created in Lebanon back in the days by the genocidal Syrian regime.

Last edited:
Ethiopia is composed of dozens of distinct ethnicities and more than 90 different local languages are spoken in the country. It is true that Eritreans are unique but I think that the northern Semites in Ethiopia got a lot in common with Eritreans than the rest of Ethiopians. The average height of the different ethnicities in the country varies but I am also 1.90 meters tall. And I don't think it is possible to generalize the physical characteristics of all the ethnicities into one description..

Like i said "average", if you look at ethiopian average there were like 8cm shorter than eritreans. North ethiopians do have similarities with eritreans similar to what south yemenite hadramut had with the northern yemenite thousands of years ago. culturally there are some similarities too but many also derive from when ethiopian adopted Geez in the 5th century AD, i am sure the darfurians in west sudan and lebanese do share some similarities due to both of them speaking arabic. you might be 1.90 meters but how many of your family male members are that height i can tell you half of mine are more than that and the rest are between 1.85-2.00.

I also heard the a lot of Ethiopians were causing a lot of havoc in KSA. I deplored what they did and I think KSA did the right thing by deporting the baddies.

Yeah i agree.

It is a historical fact that the first hijrah was to حبشة (ḥabasha),

That is True, habesha was refered to almost all east africa region back then by the arabs,but saying habesha is like saying western europe. but where in habesha did they go? you would find all those answers in the companion narrations to pinpoint the exact settlement, one thing for sure is they never crossed the mereb river which separates the two countries today.

Back
Top Bottom