What's new

English Grammar & Syntax

We shall never let it die @ such a tender age........ :D

The whole damn thing is incoherent .... :D

So what are the allowed topics here? .... if you've invited me and ButtStrong, you better give us something fun to talk about! :pissed:

Well, pocking holes in someone's posts is fun in itself. :D

...I hope the members here would interact with each other.

I'm clearly bored.

"the" is incorrect here as I'm not targeting specific members.

Well, I've decided to open this thread to have discussions concerning English Grammar and Syntax. I'm willing to answer questions in this regard, and ask questions if I had any. I hope members here interact. I think it will be fun..:help:

Let's start guys, any questions :raise:

Who can find any mistakes in the above post?:D

I have opened this thread for the purpose of discussing the English language's grammar & syntax. I am willing to answer questions pertaining to the aforementioned subject, & may even ask a few if needed. I think this would be an interesting subject to discuss, & am hoping that the present forum members participate in the discussion.

Alright, let's begin; any questions so far?

Can any of you find mistakes in the post above?

So, am I correct? :D

"the" is incorrect here as I'm not targeting specific members.

Yeah, but shouldn't the noun 'members' be preceded by an article?

Edit: you're probably right. The fact that you followed the word 'members' with 'here' makes it sound okay

@OP - Correct these Leave Applications :)

An employee applied for leave as follows:

"Since I have to go to my village to sell my land along with my wife,
please sanction me one-week leave."

From an employee who was performing
the "mundan" ceremony of his 10 year old son:

"as I want to shave my son's head, please leave me for two days.."

Leave-letter from an employee who was
performing his daughter's wedding:
"as I am marrying my daughter, please grant a week's leave.."

Administration Dept:
"As my mother-in-law has expired and I am only one responsible for it,
please grant me 10 days leave."

Another employee applied for half day leave as follows:
"Since I've to go to the cremation ground at 10 o-clock and I may not
return, please grant me half day casual leave"

An incident of a leave letter:

"I am suffering from fever, please declare one-day holiday."

A leave letter to the headmaster:

"As I am studying in this school I am suffering from headache. I
request you to leave me today"

Another one:

"Dear Sir: with reference to the above, please refer to my below'"

Actual letter written for application of leave:

"My wife is suffering from sickness and as I am her only husband at
home I may be granted leave".

Letter writing:-
"I am well here and hope you are also in the same well."

A candidate's job application:
"This has reference to your advertisement calling for a ' Typist and
an Accountant - Male or Female'' As I am both(!! )for the past several
years and I can handle both with good experience, I am applying for
the post

Dear Son,

I am writing this letter slowly because I know you can't read very fast. We are all very well here. You won't recognize the house when you get home because we've moved. It is quite nice and has got a washing machine. I put shirts in it last week, pulled the chain, and haven't seen them since.
Your father's got a really good job now. He's got 500 men under him. He's cutting the grass at the cemetery.
Your sister Mary has had her baby, but I don't know if it's a boy or girl, so I can't tell you whether you're an aunt or an uncle.
Your cousin Pat died last week at the brewery. He fell into a vat of whiskey. A couple of his mates dived in to save him, but he fought them off bravely. He was cremated on Wednesday, and it took a week to put the fire out. It only rained twice last week; once for a day and once for three days. I've sent you a coat, but it was too heavy for the post, so I cut the buttons off and put them in the pockets.
Your brother Tom is still in the army. He's only been there and they've already made him a court martial.

Your loving mother,

P.S. I was going to enclose £5 but I've already sealed the envelope.

Looks like we have a volunteer..:cheesy:

1- "change" should be started with a capital letter since it's at the beginning of the sentence.
2- "to" should be "into".
3- "English Teacher" & "elite member" should be proceeded by the determiner "an".

No, in @hinduguy's sentence "from" and "to" are correct. "Into" would be incorrect since the phrase "from... into" is unidiomatic.

And "English Teacher" and "Elite Member" are distinct titles and not a number of people that he would have to use a determiner.

No one would ever say something as, "Your rank will be changed from a Major General into a General".

change your title from elite member to English Teacher ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Everybody I know who has a dog usually calls him "Rover" or "Spot". I call mine Sex.

Now, Sex has been very embarrassing to me.
When I went to the City Hall to renew the dog's license, I told the clerk that I would like a license for Sex.
He said, "I would like to have one too!" Then I said, "But she is a dog!" He said he didn't care what she looked like.
I said, "You don't understand... I have had Sex since I was nine years old." He replied,
"You must have been quite a strong boy."

When I decided to get married, I told the minister that I would like to have Sex at the wedding. He told me to wait until after the wedding was over.
I said, "But Sex has played a big part in my life and my whole world revolves around Sex."
He said he didn't want to hear about my personal life and would not marry us in his church. I told him everyone would enjoy having Sex at the wedding.
The next day we
were married at the Justice of the Peace.
My family is barred from the church from then on.

When my wife and I went on our honeymoon, I took the dog with me.
When we checked into the motel, I told the clerk that I wanted a room for me and my wife and a special room for Sex.
He said that every room in the motel is a place for sex. I said, "You don't understand. ... Sex keeps me awake at
night."
The clerk said, "Me too!"

One day I entered Sex in a contest. But before the competition began, the dog ran away.
Another contestant asked me why I was just looking around.
I told him that I was going to have Sex in the contest. He said that I should have sold my own tickets. "You don't understand," I said, "I hoped to have Sex on TV."
He called me a show off.

When my wife and I separated, we went to court to fight for custody of the dog. I said, "Your Honor, I had Sex before I was married but Sex left me after I was married." The Judge said, "Me too!"

Last night Sex ran off again. I spent hours looking all over for her.
A cop came over and asked me what I was doing in the alley at 4 o'clock in the morning.
I said, "I'm looking for Sex." - My case comes up next Thursday.

you guys are mental ... EDL will knock on my door if they listen to you.. :lol: @888jamie888

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys which one is the correct option?

- I as well as my brothers are watching TV
- I as well as my brothers am watching TV

Back
Top Bottom