What's new

Elephant on rails...

Shinkasen is for between major cities.

Yes, that's the point of HSR, connect two dots with no stopping, because if it stopped it wouldn't be competitive anymore in regards to airlines (which is HSR's main selling point-to be as fast as a plane and drop you off in the city center). So, this is why high speed lines can't replace normal lines for now on a 1v1 basis ie. normal train picks up and unloads passengers every 10-20, 50 kilometers while HSR can't without loosing speed/efficiency.

Yes, that's the point of HSR, connect two dots with no stopping, because if it stopped it wouldn't be competitive anymore in regards to airlines. So, this is why high speed lines can't replace normal lines for now on a 1v1 basis ie. normal train picks up and unloads passengers every 10-20, 50 kilometers while HSR can't without loosing speed/efficiency.

True, but than proper comparison can only happen if countries like US/Canada/Australia/Russia had a similar network.

I think you are a bit confused. Why are you comparing Beijing-Shanghai HSR ticket price with Delhi-Kolkata flight ticket price?

Beijing-Shanghai

1st class HSR - RNB 950
2nd class HSR- RNB 550
flight ticket - RNB 600-700

Beijing-Shanghai

1st class HSR - RNB 950
2nd class HSR- RNB 550
flight ticket - RNB 600-700

Using your sources, the average economy class from Beijing to Shanghai costs over 1000 rmb. The 2nd class HSR trip with more spacious seats costs 550, only half as much as air travel.

Furthermore, Chinese high-speed rail fares are the lowest in the world, with an average price that is 36% lower than the cost of an airline ticket, according to Credit Suisse.

36% less is NOT comparable.

See https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/news-and-expertise/news/economy/asia-pacific.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/07/en/chinas-new-bullet-trains-wont-eat-up-airline-profits.html

Beijing-Shanghai HSR cost $87 for second class and $150 for first class about the distance 1330km. Delhi-Kolkata has a distance of 1400km, once can easily afford a flight ticket in economy class for $65-75.

Rebecca Fannin: Silicon Dragon Takes The Fast Track To Shanghai

You still haven't answered my question: why did you compare Beijing-Shanghai HSR ticket price with Delhi-Kolkata flight ticket price?

Using your sources, the average economy class from Beijing to Shanghai costs over 1000 rmb. The 2nd class HSR trip with more spacious seats costs 550, only half as much as air travel.

Furthermore, Chinese high-speed rail fares are the lowest in the world, with an average price that is 36% lower than the cost of an airline ticket, according to Credit Suisse.

See https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/news-and-expertise/news/economy/asia-pacific.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/07/en/chinas-new-bullet-trains-wont-eat-up-airline-profits.html

The souce I posted showing most of the airfare fares between RMB 600-700.

The souce I posted showing most of the airfare fares between RMB 600-700.

No it does NOT.

If you order a ticket one month ahead, then you get an early bird discount. But you can hop on a HSR train any day and still get a lower price.

Furthermore, as I said, Chinese high-speed rail fares are the lowest in the world, with an average price that is 36% lower than the cost of an airline ticket, according to Credit Suisse.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/news-and-expertise/news/economy/asia-pacific.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/07/en/chinas-new-bullet-trains-wont-eat-up-airline-profits.html

Now answer me: is a 36% lower price comparable? Is it?

Beijing-Shanghai HSR cost $87 for second class and $150 for first class about the distance 1330km. Delhi-Kolkata has a distance of 1400km, once can easily afford a flight ticket in economy class for $65-75.

Rebecca Fannin: Silicon Dragon Takes The Fast Track To Shanghai

You still haven't answered my question: why did you compare Beijing-Shanghai HSR ticket price with Delhi-Kolkata flight ticket price?

No it does NOT.

If you order a ticket one month ahead, then you get an early bird discount. But you can hop on a HSR train any day and still get a lower price.

Furthermore, as I said, Chinese high-speed rail fares are the lowest in the world, with an average price that is 36% lower than the cost of an airline ticket, according to Credit Suisse.

https://www.credit-suisse.com/ch/en/news-and-expertise/news/economy/asia-pacific.article.html/article/pwp/news-and-expertise/2013/07/en/chinas-new-bullet-trains-wont-eat-up-airline-profits.html

Now answer me: is 36% lower average price comparable? Is it?

Who the hell cares if those high speed rails are cheapest or not, fact is India does it slow and steady. Chinese do it in hurry with disastrous consequences.

Duronto Express- 33 Pairs

Duronto Express is a category of long distance trains run by the Indian Railways. The special feature of these trains is that they run non-stop from source to destination, barring technical halts.

4606760916_7c29f605fc_o.jpg

4102469332_c793329ed9_o.jpg

5194989097_f081193ea2_b.jpg

8200636882_e9d060b418_b.jpg

5771610047_0eaacdf4f6_b.jpg

3975068564_12b096041d_o.jpg

6085965060_670c126eb9_b.jpg

6927537088_0a06b71edb_b.jpg

6324845793_9408a0c34c_b.jpg

Who the hell cares if those high speed rails are cheapest or not, fact is India does it slow and steady. Chinese do it in hurry with disastrous consequences.

Who the hell cares about what you think when that question was for a DIFFERENT person?

I'm living in Shanghai and travels frequently between Shanghai and Beijing -depending the time of year, day of week, flight time the airline ticket costs between 650~850 RMB!

If you can book months in advanve you may get lucky to get ticket as cheap as 370 RMB.

PS: the discussion is about INdian railway not China railways. Let get back to topic!

I'm living in Shanghai and travels frequently between Shanghai and Beijing -depending the time of year, day of week, flight time the airline ticket costs between 650~850 RMB!

If you can book months in advanve you may get lucky to get ticket as cheap as 370 RMB.

So HSR train tickets are still cheaper. Good to know.

I think INDIC is really confused. He seems to think the Chinese high speed rail is just one line between Beijing and Shanghai, and you must order a train ticket months in advance.

Then why you have to reply :lol:

So I could tell you to mind your own business ;)

Back
Top Bottom