What's new

Elephant on rails...

You are comparing slow speed railways with HSR. HSR are substitute to air transport, not the slow-speed railways.

There is a shift. They laid down an advanced system, and are expanding it. Sooner or later it will replace the existing slow speed one, coinciding with the purchasing power of the people. You see it as a substitute to air travel now, may be it is. But what about 5 years from now, 10 years may be. For such a large scale development, such time frames are irrelevant. Just like shinkasen or TGV.

What is the point of finding faults with that system, no matter how you look, Indian railway is doing much worse. For decades it has been just a medium to provide jobs, one of the worst managed system in the world. The only thing to be proud of is that it is probably only system in the world providing such affordable service to a huge number of people. I doubt any other transport company comes close to what IR is doing.

I said HSR are substitute to air travel.

This is the real Chinese passenger trains which most of the common Chinese can afford and it look same like Indian Railways. How many of them you posted. :woot:

1318038182102_1318038182102_r.jpg

train.jpg

No, what you really said is, and I quote, "You are comparing slow speed railways with HSR. HSR are substitute to air transport, not the slow-speed railways."

So why is it not ok to compare trains with trains but ok to compare trains with planes?

Again, who's that person in your avatar? Is he a guru?

No, what you really said is, and I quote, "You are comparing slow speed railways with HSR. HSR are substitute to air transport, not the slow-speed railways."

So why is it not ok to compare trains with trains but ok to compare trains with planes?

HSR & traditional rail are two different systems that cannot be comparable to each other.

Sooner or later it will replace the existing slow speed one, coinciding with the purchasing power of the people.

Just like shinkasen or TGV.

I don't know for Japan but i know for a fact France operates TGV on just a handful on tracks, basically on the French equivalent of Beijing-Shanghai line. It's extremely doubtful China will be able to replace the majority of slow trains that are running today for a majority of HSR lines.

It is ok to compare similar trains. HSR dont serve the same purpose as the slow speed ones, to provide an economic transport medium to masses. For example, the there are a few luxury trains in India, of which pictures you objected.

And that person one of the greatest leaders of India, and former home minister, (Late) Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.

It is ok to compare similar trains. HSR dont serve the same purpose as the slow speed ones, to provide an economic transport medium to masses. For example, the there are a few luxury trains in India, of which pictures you objected.

And that person one of the greatest leaders of India, and former home minister, (Late) Sardar Vallabh Bhai Patel.

I objected to the pictures because they are sight seeing trains for tourists. HSR is still mass transportation, not luxury tourist coaches from which they may enjoy the scenery and taste fine wine (French TGV excepted in the wine aspect).

I find the ticket price of Chinese HSR comparable to domestic flight tickets.

I don't know for Japan but i know for a fact France operates TGV on just a handful on tracks, basically on the French equivalent of Beijing-Shanghai line. It's extremely doubtful China will be able to replace the majority of slow trains that are running today for a majority of HSR lines.

I am unaware of this. From what I know, TGV and Shinkasen both are very popular trains. May be my references are not correct.

As for as I know, for Japan only Shinkasen is for between major cities.

How comparable? Could you quote some figures over similar travel distances?

Generally they are within 50-60% for flight tickets. For example, ~ 100$ vs 200$ for Beijing/Shanghai.

Back
Top Bottom