What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

More from the Charles De Gaulle cutting through the Suez Canal and I believe headed north towards the Mediterranean after finishing the exercise with the Egyptian Navy. Navy Rafales with those beefed up landing gears. I believe the ship belongs to the Belgian navy.

View attachment 723789

View attachment 723790

View attachment 723791
Great shots!
Heading towards India for Exercise Varuna 2021
CDG will be exercising with INS Vikramaditya, can't wait for MiG-29K/Rafale M images!

Great shots!
Heading towards India for Exercise Varuna 2021
CDG will be exercising with INS Vikramaditya, can't wait for MiG-29K/Rafale M images!

Looking at the pictures again, the reason I said they were heading north is because of the timing since those pics came out AFTER the exercise with the EGN in the Red Sea. So it only made sense that they were headed back BUT, looking again at the pics, it's actually easy to tell which direction the ships are traveling simply by observing the way they're facing and the relation to the banks on both sides of the canal. The bank to the west which is Egypt proper has a lot more buildings and roadways and especially greenery and plantation whereas the eastern bank of the Sinai peninsula is mostly sand dunes and actual remnants of the Bar Lev line including a lot of the left over dumping of the dredging they do to the canal. The one pic showing the banks is clear evidence of that and so it does appear like this might've been when they were headed south to rendezvous with the EGN in the Red Sea for the exercise and after that, if they're headed to the Indian Ocean to meet with the IN, then they just keep going south through Bab El Mandab and the Gulf of Aden and onto to India.

That was one of the best Harrier landing on an AC I've ever seen! Man those Harriers were so awesome. Indian pilots flew them quite well. If one knows the history of the Sea Harrier, as deadly and beautiful as they were, they were NOT easy to fly and it's amazing that all that technology on that jet as it developed and developed still relied on the simple weathervane on the front top of the fuselage! lol. Great stuff.

Aside from the perfect landing, that takeoff was even better!!! He barely needed 100ft of deck before he was airborne LOL! Outstanding. We're just dying to see the Ka-52K Katrans arrive and take their place on the Mistrals. It's been a long time waiting!

Some more pics from the French and Egyptian Navy. The Charles De Gaulle aircraft carrier and It's Strike Group conducting a PASSEX with the Egyptian Navy Al-Fateh 971 Gowind class corvette in the Red Sea.

1615737081334.png

1615737107784.png

Fascinating how calm the water can bee on the Red Sea on certain occasions.

1615737127043.png

1615737183060.png

1615737236359.png

1615737258127.png

So, maybe you fellas will get these tags but probably not since I don't think that function is working on this forum at the moment. Either way, @The SC , @Philip the Arab , @Lord Of Gondor , @ARCH٤R and anyone else who would be interested, I came across this article regarding the Russian R-37M hypersonic missile and so far, I think the only 2 aircraft capable of carrying this thing and launching it are the Su-34 and Su-35. Being that the Su-35SE is coming to Egypt, and we haven't seen any R-27s on the MiG-29m/35, I'm pretty sure the R-27ER and IR (I think) will be part of the ammunitions package of the Su-35SE to the EAF. But according to this read, the R-37M hypersonic missile might be part of that package as well. That would be incredible if the Russians provided this deadly missile to the EAF with the 30 Su-35SEs.

Could Egypt’s Su-35 Acquisition Be a Path its First to Hypersonic Missiles? What the R-37M Can Offer

1615738228778.png

On March 18th a number of sources reported that the Egyptian Armed Forces were set to acquire a sizeable unit of Su-35 ‘4++ generation’ air superiority fighters, which would be delivered from 2020-2021. Over two dozen fighters would be provided alongside munitions, training and maintenance infrastructure under a $2 billion contract - forming the only unit of heavyweight fighters in the country’s fleet and the only one specialized in air superiority. The aircraft can operate at considerably higher speeds and altitudes, with higher weapons payloads and with heavier and more powerful sensors and more modern electronic warfare systems, than anything previously in the Egyptian fleet.

1615737938493.png

The Su-35 is set to provide the Egyptian Air Force with a number entirely new of high end capabilities, many of which it has sought for many years ever since it sought permission to acquire F-15C Eagle air superiority fighters from the United States. The fighters will be of a small minority in the Egyptian fleet capable of deploying modern standoff air to air missiles, with only the country’s two recently acquired MiG-29M squadrons currently deploying such missiles and its Rafales possibly set to integrate such missiles in future. Alongside standard munitions such as the R-77 and R-27ER, platforms with speeds between Mach 4 and Mach 5 and ranges of 110-130km, the Su-35 is also capable of deploying a hypersonic air to air missile with an extreme range. The R-37 is one of just two modern hypersonic air to air missiles in service anywhere in the world, alongside the Taiwanese Sky Sword II, and the R-37M variant is reportedly compatible with the Su-35 and Su-57 airframes. The missile will provide Egypt with by far its longest ranged anti aircraft capability, and has a 400km range and a speed of Mach 6.

1615737997462.png

Paired with the Su-35’s powerful Irbis-E radar, the R-37 can be used to neutralize high value enemy support aircraft such as AWACS and tankers at extreme ranges. The missile may also prove useful against enemy fighter jets at shorter ranges, and its considerable speed significantly decreases the time for targeted aircraft to respond. None of Egypt’s neighbors or potential adversaries currently deploy a missile with comparable capabilities to the R-37M, which would complement the already formidable capabilities of the Su-35 to provide the state with a considerable advantage in potential air engagements. The missile will also complement the advanced S-300V4 long range surface to air missile batteries Egypt purchased in 2013, which are compatible with the 40N6E hypersonic anti aircraft missiles which also have a 400km range. Egypt is not known to have acquired the 40N6E for its S-300 batteries as of yet. While Egypt has come under considerable pressure from the Western Bloc to terminate its plans to purchase the Su-35, the United States’ refusal to provide similarly capable fighters for four decades and the lack of comparable alternatives provides Cairo with a strong incentive to follow through on its plans to acquire the jets.

Could Egypt’s Su-35 Acquisition Be a Path its First to Hypersonic Missiles? What the R-37M Can Offer (militarywatchmagazine.com)

Last edited:
So, maybe you fellas will get these tags but probably not since I don't think that function is working on this forum at the moment. Either way, @The SC , @Philip the Arab , @Lord Of Gondor , @ARCH٤R and anyone else who would be interested, I came across this article regarding the Russian R-37M hypersonic missile and so far, I think the only 2 aircraft capable of carrying this thing and launching it are the Su-34 and Su-35. Being that the Su-35SE is coming to Egypt, and we haven't seen any R-27s on the MiG-29m/35, I'm pretty sure the R-27ER and IR (I think) will be part of the ammunitions package of the Su-35SE to the EAF. But according to this read, the R-37M hypersonic missile might be part of that package as well. That would be incredible if the Russians provided this deadly missile to the EAF with the 30 Su-35SEs.

Could Egypt’s Su-35 Acquisition Be a Path its First to Hypersonic Missiles? What the R-37M Can Offer

View attachment 724548

On March 18th a number of sources reported that the Egyptian Armed Forces were set to acquire a sizeable unit of Su-35 ‘4++ generation’ air superiority fighters, which would be delivered from 2020-2021. Over two dozen fighters would be provided alongside munitions, training and maintenance infrastructure under a $2 billion contract - forming the only unit of heavyweight fighters in the country’s fleet and the only one specialized in air superiority. The aircraft can operate at considerably higher speeds and altitudes, with higher weapons payloads and with heavier and more powerful sensors and more modern electronic warfare systems, than anything previously in the Egyptian fleet.

View attachment 724545

The Su-35 is set to provide the Egyptian Air Force with a number entirely new of high end capabilities, many of which it has sought for many years ever since it sought permission to acquire F-15C Eagle air superiority fighters from the United States. The fighters will be of a small minority in the Egyptian fleet capable of deploying modern standoff air to air missiles, with only the country’s two recently acquired MiG-29M squadrons currently deploying such missiles and its Rafales possibly set to integrate such missiles in future. Alongside standard munitions such as the R-77 and R-27ER, platforms with speeds between Mach 4 and Mach 5 and ranges of 110-130km, the Su-35 is also capable of deploying a hypersonic air to air missile with an extreme range. The R-37 is one of just two modern hypersonic air to air missiles in service anywhere in the world, alongside the Taiwanese Sky Sword II, and the R-37M variant is reportedly compatible with the Su-35 and Su-57 airframes. The missile will provide Egypt with by far its longest ranged anti aircraft capability, and has a 400km range and a speed of Mach 6.

View attachment 724546

Paired with the Su-35’s powerful Irbis-E radar, the R-37 can be used to neutralize high value enemy support aircraft such as AWACS and tankers at extreme ranges. The missile may also prove useful against enemy fighter jets at shorter ranges, and its considerable speed significantly decreases the time for targeted aircraft to respond. None of Egypt’s neighbors or potential adversaries currently deploy a missile with comparable capabilities to the R-37M, which would complement the already formidable capabilities of the Su-35 to provide the state with a considerable advantage in potential air engagements. The missile will also complement the advanced S-300V4 long range surface to air missile batteries Egypt purchased in 2013, which are compatible with the 40N6E hypersonic anti aircraft missiles which also have a 400km range. Egypt is not known to have acquired the 40N6E for its S-300 batteries as of yet. While Egypt has come under considerable pressure from the Western Bloc to terminate its plans to purchase the Su-35, the United States’ refusal to provide similarly capable fighters for four decades and the lack of comparable alternatives provides Cairo with a strong incentive to follow through on its plans to acquire the jets.

Could Egypt’s Su-35 Acquisition Be a Path its First to Hypersonic Missiles? What the R-37M Can Offer (militarywatchmagazine.com)
This is good news if true, taking out assets can effectively destroy enemies air forces. Without tankers or AWACS the EAF can effectively turn an enemies air force into a blind professional boxer even if their individual assets are technologically ahead of Egypt's.

This is good news if true, taking out assets can effectively destroy enemies air forces. Without tankers or AWACS the EAF can effectively turn an enemies air force into a blind professional boxer even if their individual assets are technologically ahead of Egypt's.

Indeed. They did dub that missile "The AWACS KILLER" lol but it's just as dangerous to the enemy fighter jets out there. It's no escape zone at that speed is probably so huge that once the pilot sees it fired and watches how fast it's traveling, all he can do is "eject, eject, eject"!! lol

Indeed. They did dub that missile "The AWACS KILLER" lol but it's just as dangerous to the enemy fighter jets out there. It's no escape zone at that speed is probably so huge that once the pilot sees it fired and watches how fast it's traveling, all he can do is "eject, eject, eject"!! lol
To be honest, I'd rather have SU-35 act as AWACS killer and tanker killer and use EAF AWACS along with MIG-29s, and Rafales to take out enemy fighters. Egypt could also use the R-37M as a fighter killer when all enemies strategic assets are destroyed.

It would likely be a clean sweep depending on where the battlefield is at.

To be honest, I'd rather have SU-35 act as AWACS killer and tanker killer and use EAF AWACS along with MIG-29s, and Rafales to take out enemy fighters. Egypt could also use the R-37M as a fighter killer when all enemies strategic assets are destroyed.

It would likely be a clean sweep depending on where the battlefield is at.

I would say that is probably the standard operating procedure for that missile. Use it first to take out all the immediate threatening strategic assets and then once that's completed to satisfaction, then just pick out the fighters. The only thing that makes it a bit more challenging using the MICA IR & ER as well as the R-77 on the Rafales and MiGs is that they'd be most likely going up against equivalent weapons with the enemy. By using at least the R-27 but certainly this R-37M, you'd overpower the enemy quickly simply because of range. They won't be able to lock on for a couple hundred kilometers while the R-37 has already locked on and launched in their direction.

Thermal weapon sights are very useful in modern combat and give an edge especially during night battles. Arab international optronics can produce thermals from light weapons like AKM, thermal sights for MPMG, and heavier thermals for machine guns like M2.

Largest, medium, and smallest thermal sights for different weapon sizes.
1615746176890.png

Their resolution and specifications are roughly equivalent to American systems so here are some hog hunting videos of the Trijicon Reap IR. There are videos of similar systems being used in combat but they are much too graphic to post here.

1615746233676.png

1615746247406.png

Last edited:
I think Egypt should stop buying weapons for the next 15 years and start national programs to develop domestic weapons.

But there are still some holes that need to be filled in ya rayis ya basha. The air force is still not complete, even after the Su-35SEs arrive with all their weapons. The navy is also short of a few assets to complete their inventory and be satisfied with it for that next 15 years.

They need the following IMO. Please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong ya M3alem.

1) The airforce needs to up the number of Rafales without a question. Do whatever it takes to bring the number up to 50 or 60 units and all capable of firing the Meteor missile with an inventory of 600 missiles which would be VERY expensive, but the reward of having that many platforms capable of firing those potent missiles is well worth the expentditure.

2) If the French are just too gadam stubborn and don't make the Rafale contract happen, then they need to approach Italy and sign on with the Typhoon in as large numbers and monetarily possible. I've already spoken about how it's would actually be VERY EASY for the EAF to incorporate the Typhoons into the fleet of Rafales and make them as one unit. Euro canard delta platforms can function as one quite easily with maintenance crews and pilots being efficient in both platforms to reduce the number of personnel. But this deal can only happen if the Italians can promise and assure us under a viable contract that they will supply the meteor missile with the Typhoons and at the same number originally requested. The EAF will have to deal with integrating them into the Rafales later. One thing at a time.

3) Most DEFINITELY need a larger batch of Su-30SEs. I would like to see them add the MiG-35 to the current MiG-29M/M2 when the 35 actually becomes available because of the Zhuk-AE AESA radar. Another batch of 46 or 50 aircraft at very reasonable pricing would bring that number up close to 100. Another 30 Su-35SE would bring that number up to 60 units which is VERY satisfactory for a heavy F-15-like aircraft that the EAF has never had since it came to. So that is a very important factor that needs to be addressed not to mention the EAF needs to pressure the Russians to provide the RVV-AE or R-77-1 which is NOT the current R-77 in the EAF inventory that came with the MiG-29M/M2s, unfortunately. So they Definitely need the longer ranged R-77 to upgrade the ones for the MiGs AND for the Su-35SE as well as get both R-27s in the infra red seeker and the radar seeker types. Both of those need to be supplied in very large numbers to compensate for the shortcomings of the R-77 and R-77-1. That is a MUST. And after my post above, you know how I feel about the R-37M. Need those for sure and also in large numbers. These are critical in deterrence.

4) Need to start a contract for 50 Su-57. I'll just leave it at that. We need to get that amazing aircraft in our air force and don't believe all the negative outlooks on that. I've been on a Russian forum and I've learned A LOT more about it than you would ever learn here where they favor the Chinese stealth jets and mock the Russian Su-57. Truth is is that it is a super potent aircraft designed without a lot of the things in mind that we're seeing the F-35 struggle with. They've been ahead of the game and doing it right I tell ya. This is also a MUST for the EAF no matter what US sanctions are threatened. There is a bit more but I'll leave it at that.

5) The NAVY. We need to see where we stand with the current inventory from what is already built and in EN hands as well as the already signed contract and builds that are currently underway such as the German MEKOs and put them all together and see what the count is between all the Gowinds, the FREMM (French and Italian) and the rest of the new ships. Anyone have that complete order and if you do, could you kindly post it so we can determine what else we need to complete that important naval assets.

6) We really only have 4 quality submarines. Our older Chinese Romeos are ok for coastal patrolling etc., but we need a much longer arm and a deep sea submarine. Dare I say we need a few of them and also the truth is, we need another 4 (at least) Type 209 submarines to go with the current 4. Having 8 of them and 2 deep sea subs for a total of 10 is a starter. I would prefer a few more that would get us to 12 or 14.

Then there's the Katrans for the Mistrals. WTH happened to them?!?! This is a MAJOR element in the Egyptian Armed Forces and need A LOT of attention and get to a place where they are numerous and comfortable with the count which would and should lead to domestic production.

All these things and a few more I haven't listed we still need to purchase to have immediately while working on domestic assets at the same time but certainly before taking a break from purchases. Long way to go, I'm afraid.

But there are still some holes that need to be filled in ya rayis ya basha. The air force is still not complete, even after the Su-35SEs arrive with all their weapons. The navy is also short of a few assets to complete their inventory and be satisfied with it for that next 15 years.

They need the following IMO. Please feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong ya M3alem.

1) The airforce needs to up the number of Rafales without a question. Do whatever it takes to bring the number up to 50 or 60 units and all capable of firing the Meteor missile with an inventory of 600 missiles which would be VERY expensive, but the reward of having that many platforms capable of firing those potent missiles is well worth the expentditure.

2) If the French are just too gadam stubborn and don't make the Rafale contract happen, then they need to approach Italy and sign on with the Typhoon in as large numbers and monetarily possible. I've already spoken about how it's would actually be VERY EASY for the EAF to incorporate the Typhoons into the fleet of Rafales and make them as one unit. Euro canard delta platforms can function as one quite easily with maintenance crews and pilots being efficient in both platforms to reduce the number of personnel. But this deal can only happen if the Italians can promise and assure us under a viable contract that they will supply the meteor missile with the Typhoons and at the same number originally requested. The EAF will have to deal with integrating them into the Rafales later. One thing at a time.

3) Most DEFINITELY need a larger batch of Su-30SEs. I would like to see them add the MiG-35 to the current MiG-29M/M2 when the 35 actually becomes available because of the Zhuk-AE AESA radar. Another batch of 46 or 50 aircraft at very reasonable pricing would bring that number up close to 100. Another 30 Su-35SE would bring that number up to 60 units which is VERY satisfactory for a heavy F-15-like aircraft that the EAF has never had since it came to. So that is a very important factor that needs to be addressed not to mention the EAF needs to pressure the Russians to provide the RVV-AE or R-77-1 which is NOT the current R-77 in the EAF inventory that came with the MiG-29M/M2s, unfortunately. So they Definitely need the longer ranged R-77 to upgrade the ones for the MiGs AND for the Su-35SE as well as get both R-27s in the infra red seeker and the radar seeker types. Both of those need to be supplied in very large numbers to compensate for the shortcomings of the R-77 and R-77-1. That is a MUST. And after my post above, you know how I feel about the R-37M. Need those for sure and also in large numbers. These are critical in deterrence.

4) Need to start a contract for 50 Su-57. I'll just leave it at that. We need to get that amazing aircraft in our air force and don't believe all the negative outlooks on that. I've been on a Russian forum and I've learned A LOT more about it than you would ever learn here where they favor the Chinese stealth jets and mock the Russian Su-57. Truth is is that it is a super potent aircraft designed without a lot of the things in mind that we're seeing the F-35 struggle with. They've been ahead of the game and doing it right I tell ya. This is also a MUST for the EAF no matter what US sanctions are threatened. There is a bit more but I'll leave it at that.

5) The NAVY. We need to see where we stand with the current inventory from what is already built and in EN hands as well as the already signed contract and builds that are currently underway such as the German MEKOs and put them all together and see what the count is between all the Gowinds, the FREMM (French and Italian) and the rest of the new ships. Anyone have that complete order and if you do, could you kindly post it so we can determine what else we need to complete that important naval assets.

6) We really only have 4 quality submarines. Our older Chinese Romeos are ok for coastal patrolling etc., but we need a much longer arm and a deep sea submarine. Dare I say we need a few of them and also the truth is, we need another 4 (at least) Type 209 submarines to go with the current 4. Having 8 of them and 2 deep sea subs for a total of 10 is a starter. I would prefer a few more that would get us to 12 or 14.

Then there's the Katrans for the Mistrals. WTH happened to them?!?! This is a MAJOR element in the Egyptian Armed Forces and need A LOT of attention and get to a place where they are numerous and comfortable with the count which would and should lead to domestic production.

All these things and a few more I haven't listed we still need to purchase to have immediately while working on domestic assets at the same time but certainly before taking a break from purchases. Long way to go, I'm afraid.

I disagree. You could have a decent defence industry if you invested all this money in national projects. If you have a submarine project and work day and night, then we might see an Egyptian Submarine in 10-15 years. Similarly with Helis and Tanks. I also think that Egypt should focus on developing a 4th-gen fighter jet with it indigineous electronics and missiles(the engine could be imported because its too hard to make). If Egypt keeps buying, then it would benefit foreign contractors who would use the revenue from the weapon deals to develop newer weapons and Egypt will never have a proper high-tech defence industry and will always be dependent on foreign sources.

I disagree. You could have a decent defence industry if you invested all this money in national projects. If you have a submarine project and work day and night, then we might see an Egyptian Submarine in 10-15 years. Similarly with Helis and Tanks. I also think that Egypt should focus on developing a 4th-gen fighter jet with it indigineous electronics and missiles(the engine could be imported because its too hard to make). If Egypt keeps buying, then it would benefit foreign contractors who would use the revenue from the weapon deals to develop newer weapons and Egypt will never have a proper high-tech defence industry and will always be dependent on foreign sources.

I see and understand what you're saying. But you don't think the current items I mentioned are not complete to their fullest need to be a well oiled and well functioning machine all around? And shouldn't that be done first? If not, it will be left half asss (pardon the language) and not built to its fullest. They can always work on the indigenous stuff at the same time so they don't fall far behind, but I think it's critical to complete the purchases to their fullest extent first before relaxing from that and going full indigenous.

Also, what is a 4th generation domestically built aircraft going to do for us at this point? If anything, we should participate in any of the current ongoing 5th generation project and buy into them. That's what I would do as there are huge benefits to that compared to a domestically built 4th gen that would take 15 years to produce just a viable prototype and then what? By then we'll have fallen so far behind.

If you said build UCAVs and UAVs in complete packages, yes, that I would agree with you 100% since that is the future of aerial warfare and would get us in the game. Also missiles of all sorts to me are much more important that a domestic 4th gen aircraft.

Back
Top Bottom