What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

indian weapons such as SAAW and astra mk1, 2 and Rudram are going to be integrated on to french rafale for domestic and export purposes as confirmed by Indian weapon manufacturer BDL.
Can increase the chances of Indian weapons export multifold

I am not sure this is true or not but seems like an interesting development if true.
Anyways how is the relationship between UAE and Egypt, can this help in Tejas's sale to Egypt in anyways

Last edited:
Lovely pictures thanks, could be interesting to see if PAF and IAF have any interaction in your country. Please keep us posted kindly, if any such news is there.

Thank you. I will certainly keep you posted as well as the other fellas I'm sure will also. That would be huge news.

The base price of the Tejas Mk1A is pegged at ~USD 42-45 million.

It all makes sense. Thanks for the explanation. Tejas is well worth the price.

PAF Bright Star badge.

1694180740313.png

@Gomig-21

@The SC , check out this article. Accordingly, Saudiya seems to be interested in the Rafale as well, slightly because of the Germans refusing the ban they issued on any more EFT2000s to the kingdom.

Also Qatar looking for an additional 24 to bring their numbers up to 60. It also mentions the EAF's order of an additional 30 F4s. It makes the insinuation that all these purchases -- especially the Saudi and Qatar too -- are direct strategic reasons for the US playing silly games about the F-35 because of the chicken bleep neighbors. For Qatar, it's mostly about buying French influence (which is interesting since it has suckled from mama USA for a while now) as usual and for Saudiya it's for Germany's denial of the EFT2000 hoping it would piss off the UK which it has and send a signal to the US regarding the F-35. Very interesting.

The other weird thing that I don't understand is a post made by @BON PLAN on another thread where he claimed that he would bet the Egyptian & Qatari Rafales are inferior to the Greek and Indian ones. I have no idea why he would think that since there hasn't been any information to support anything of the sort including the press release from Dassault itself. The only thing it said and we all know is the EAF being refused the Meteor because of the scaredy-cat chickens next door. Putting even more emphasis on this next order of 30 which should hopefully include the meteor because all this denying chicken crap stuff has to end.

I'll quote a few interesting paragraphs from the article and source it so if anyone interested in reading the whole thing can do so.

Air Warfare

Rafales on the upswing? French fighter eyes additional Mideast sales​

By Elisabeth Gosselin-Malo

1694205029773.png

MILAN — The United States’ dominance of the combat aircraft industry could see increased competition as the French hope to bolster their slice of the pie. With a German veto blocking Eurofighter deliveries to Saudi Arabia, and amid Israel’s persistent opposition to any F-35 sale to Qatar, this may be French firm Dassault’s opportunity to further push its fighter in the region.

Following the trip, reports emerged that Qatar may opt to purchase an additional 24 Rafale from Dassault, which would bring the country’s fleet to 60, having acquired an initial batch of 24 in 2015 and another 12 in 2017. Although Qatar’s Defense Ministry hasn’t announced its decision, analysts have told Defense News such as sale appears likely.

xperts, however, diverge over who could be the next customer of the Rafale in the greater Middle East. For Aboulafia, Saudi Arabia appears to be the logical contender, even if the U.S. agrees to sell F-35s to the kingdom.

“They [Saudis] already source F-15s from the U.S. and of course want F-35s. But as they are eager to continue their dual-source decision, they’ll want to buy another aircraft from another provider. Eurofighter tranche 2 is on hold. There’s really nobody else other than France,” he said. Germany’s decision appeared to have irked the U.K.,

A more probable export opportunity for the Rafale, besides in Qatar, would be a top-up order by Egypt in light of the collapsed deal with Russia for Su-35 aircraft that fell through over U.S. sanctions, said Darling. Cairo last placed an order for 30 additional Rafales in 2021, bringing its fleet number to 54.

I have no idea why he says "a more probable export opportunity would be Egypt" then follows it up with "Cairo last placed an order for 30 additional Rafales"? That's a contradiction. Either it's probability or it's a placed order, it can't be both, right?! WTF is this guy talking about?

Source.

There you go. The initial rumors seem to be true. Good for them to get Su-30s also. Now they have a better chance at repelling any attackers on their nuclear sites with those and screw CAATSA.
The main idea was to tell you that they will need a lot of time before getting the SU-35..

@The SC , check out this article. Accordingly, Saudiya seems to be interested in the Rafale as well, slightly because of the Germans refusing the ban they issued on any more EFT2000s to the kingdom.

Also Qatar looking for an additional 24 to bring their numbers up to 60. It also mentions the EAF's order of an additional 30 F4s. It makes the insinuation that all these purchases -- especially the Saudi and Qatar too -- are direct strategic reasons for the US playing silly games about the F-35 because of the chicken bleep neighbors. For Qatar, it's mostly about buying French influence (which is interesting since it has suckled from mama USA for a while now) as usual and for Saudiya it's for Germany's denial of the EFT2000 hoping it would piss off the UK which it has and send a signal to the US regarding the F-35. Very interesting.

The other weird thing that I don't understand is a post made by @BON PLAN on another thread where he claimed that he would bet the Egyptian & Qatari Rafales are inferior to the Greek and Indian ones. I have no idea why he would think that since there hasn't been any information to support anything of the sort including the press release from Dassault itself. The only thing it said and we all know is the EAF being refused the Meteor because of the scaredy-cat chickens next door. Putting even more emphasis on this next order of 30 which should hopefully include the meteor because all this denying chicken crap stuff has to end.

I'll quote a few interesting paragraphs from the article and source it so if anyone interested in reading the whole thing can do so.

Air Warfare

View attachment 952140

MILAN — The United States’ dominance of the combat aircraft industry could see increased competition as the French hope to bolster their slice of the pie. With a German veto blocking Eurofighter deliveries to Saudi Arabia, and amid Israel’s persistent opposition to any F-35 sale to Qatar, this may be French firm Dassault’s opportunity to further push its fighter in the region.

Following the trip, reports emerged that Qatar may opt to purchase an additional 24 Rafale from Dassault, which would bring the country’s fleet to 60, having acquired an initial batch of 24 in 2015 and another 12 in 2017. Although Qatar’s Defense Ministry hasn’t announced its decision, analysts have told Defense News such as sale appears likely.

xperts, however, diverge over who could be the next customer of the Rafale in the greater Middle East. For Aboulafia, Saudi Arabia appears to be the logical contender, even if the U.S. agrees to sell F-35s to the kingdom.

“They [Saudis] already source F-15s from the U.S. and of course want F-35s. But as they are eager to continue their dual-source decision, they’ll want to buy another aircraft from another provider. Eurofighter tranche 2 is on hold. There’s really nobody else other than France,” he said. Germany’s decision appeared to have irked the U.K.,

A more probable export opportunity for the Rafale, besides in Qatar, would be a top-up order by Egypt in light of the collapsed deal with Russia for Su-35 aircraft that fell through over U.S. sanctions, said Darling. Cairo last placed an order for 30 additional Rafales in 2021, bringing its fleet number to 54.

I have no idea why he says "a more probable export opportunity would be Egypt" then follows it up with "Cairo last placed an order for 30 additional Rafales"? That's a contradiction. Either it's probability or it's a placed order, it can't be both, right?! WTF is this guy talking about?

Source.
There were French articles stipulating that KSA was negotiating for up to 100 Rafales F4..

The French never sell inferior airplanes to anyone..(just check the EAF Mirage 2000)..

They have upgrades which is normal and anyone who have bought the Rafale is entitled to ask for those upgrades..The Meteor was no problem for sure otherwise we would have seen its saga Like we've seen with the Scalp..

Egypt have talked many times about more Rafale in the future..as well as another 24 Rafale Marine in the future along with the French AC..remember?

There were French articles stipulating that KSA was negotiating for up to 100 Rafales F4..

That would be insane. And all of this was a product of the EAF initiating the purchase of the Rafale, despite India having the interest in them and kinda having a tentative order, but it was plagued with indecisions and was effectively on hold until the EAF went out and surprised everyone, thanks to France & Dassault. That certainly ignited India to fulfill its MMRCA commitments.

That also opened the door wide for the Rafale as it has boomed in exports since then. A lot of credit to Egypt for that initiation which helped a lot in the SCALP saga. That's why the Meteor is perplexing and also a very big indication that not only the Rafale's technology & lethality are unquestionable, but the missile would also be a "killer" to enemy air forces.

The French never sell inferior airplanes to anyone..(just check the EAF Mirage 2000)..

What about the 2000s? And what is @BON PLAN jabbering about? lol.

They have upgrades which is normal and anyone who have bought the Rafale is entitled to ask for those upgrades..The Meteor was no problem for sure otherwise we would have seen its saga Like we've seen with the Scalp

Hard to claim the meteor is in country if we haven't seen it. I realize the faint possibility that they've simply kept it hidden from prying eyes since the EAF is a master at doing that, but the Dassault itself has said it withheld it and we haven't seen it. Two big indications that support it's absence TBH.

The same with the R-77-1 which our friend @sami_1 has taken me on about its presence in the EAF to which I will answer him on the IRIAF thread and bring it back here to continue. He claims the more advanced R-77-1 (RVV-SD) was in fact ordered by the EAF and is in inventory but yet again, we've only seen the standard R-77 (RVV-AE) in all the testing photos as well as the in-country ones, and not the SD.

Egypt have talked many times about more Rafale in the future..as well as another 24 Rafale Marine in the future along with the French AC..remember?

I do, of course. I just don't understand the contradiction in the article regarding the additional order. And not to be a party crasher, but you know it's always better to see it and then believe it. The practicality of such a huge and expensive carrier is overwhelming. Think of the operational cost associated with just the two mistrals alone. Add maintenance to that and it must be astronomical. Then a super carrier with Rafale Ms on top of all that? Wowza lol.

Air Warfare

View attachment 952140

Source.
I've read an article about a year or 2 back saying that the Indian rafales apparently are the "f5" version with a new helmet upgrade. Cant be sure of the validity of such articles however

Should the sukhoi deal collapse, you can be rest assured the meteor is coming with the new f4 rafales along with the extra micas and scalp missles, egypt isn't playing easy ball anymore and for good reason.

Tejas can be a very good investment for egyptian know-how for military testing and production capabilities, the Indians may be able to do something were egypt can source out different spare parts from different nations like France and South Korea. Speaking of military domestic sufficiency, the hal lch and druv copters are a good start for hands on experience where egypt can manufacture its own heli in the distant future, heck maybe egypt and India could potentially do a joint venture project deal with the arjun tank, yea its not the best by a long shot, but if India was to go back to the project, then they already have enough experience to improve on the previous upgraded model of the arjun mk2. Egypt casts its own hulls for the abrams I believe, if not the turrets. AND india is producing its own 800mm apfsds sabot rounds for the arjun as well. Not to mention they'd want to capitalize on all their domestic products to further advertise and compete with other more experienced sellers on the international weapons market, so it would be in their best interests to stick with their mbt project too. I can see an arjun mk3 with all the good gadgets for modern warfare but at a way steeper price compared to leclercs and even Leo mbts. Armenia has or is going to sign a few military deals with India since Russia isn't stepping in the Caucasus region but rather monitoring unfolding events there from a distance

I've read an article about a year or 2 back saying that the Indian rafales apparently are the "f5" version with a new helmet upgrade. Cant be sure of the validity of such articles however

Should the sukhoi deal collapse, you can be rest assured the meteor is coming with the new f4 rafales along with the extra micas and scalp missles, egypt isn't playing easy ball anymore and for good reason.

Tejas can be a very good investment for egyptian know-how for military testing and production capabilities, the Indians may be able to do something were egypt can source out different spare parts from different nations like France and South Korea. Speaking of military domestic sufficiency, the hal lch and druv copters are a good start for hands on experience where egypt can manufacture its own heli in the distant future, heck maybe egypt and India could potentially do a joint venture project deal with the arjun tank, yea its not the best by a long shot, but if India was to go back to the project, then they already have enough experience to improve on the previous upgraded model of the arjun mk2. Egypt casts its own hulls for the abrams I believe, if not the turrets. AND india is producing its own 800mm apfsds sabot rounds for the arjun as well. Not to mention they'd want to capitalize on all their domestic products to further advertise and compete with other more experienced sellers on the international weapons market, so it would be in their best interests to stick with their mbt project too. I can see an arjun mk3 with all the good gadgets for modern warfare but at a way steeper price compared to leclercs and even Leo mbts. Armenia has or is going to sign a few military deals with India since Russia isn't stepping in the Caucasus region but rather monitoring unfolding events there from a distance
India and Egypt did work on some fighter jet in the past, I can't remember which it was but we did.

We are looking for partners, and am sure it can help us both to work on such varied projects. Maybe Egypt can help us market products all over Africa, win win for both I would say.

That would be insane. And all of this was a product of the EAF initiating the purchase of the Rafale, despite India having the interest in them and kinda having a tentative order, but it was plagued with indecisions and was effectively on hold until the EAF went out and surprised everyone, thanks to France & Dassault. That certainly ignited India to fulfill its MMRCA commitments.

That also opened the door wide for the Rafale as it has boomed in exports since then. A lot of credit to Egypt for that initiation which helped a lot in the SCALP saga. That's why the Meteor is perplexing and also a very big indication that not only the Rafale's technology & lethality are unquestionable, but the missile would also be a "killer" to enemy air forces.

What about the 2000s? And what is @BON PLAN jabbering about? lol.

Hard to claim the meteor is in country if we haven't seen it. I realize the faint possibility that they've simply kept it hidden from prying eyes since the EAF is a master at doing that, but the Dassault itself has said it withheld it and we haven't seen it. Two big indications that support it's absence TBH.

The same with the R-77-1 which our friend @sami_1 has taken me on about its presence in the EAF to which I will answer him on the IRIAF thread and bring it back here to continue. He claims the more advanced R-77-1 (RVV-SD) was in fact ordered by the EAF and is in inventory but yet again, we've only seen the standard R-77 (RVV-AE) in all the testing photos as well as the in-country ones, and not the SD.

I do, of course. I just don't understand the contradiction in the article regarding the additional order. And not to be a party crasher, but you know it's always better to see it and then believe it. The practicality of such a huge and expensive carrier is overwhelming. Think of the operational cost associated with just the two mistrals alone. Add maintenance to that and it must be astronomical. Then a super carrier with Rafale Ms on top of all that? Wowza lol.

It's simple why Egypt negotiated with Russia in 2006 to buy 48 MIG-29SMT
And 24 SU-35, then renegotiated from 2013 to 2015 simply to buy its needs of advanced fighters and ammunition that America has prevented. The Russians since 2013 offered Egypt all the series of fighters that they produce, and Egypt chose the most suitable for it MIG-29M & SU-35 and the best Russian ammunition she has
The Russians provided test launches of the KH-35 & Kalibr missiles off the Libyan coast so that Egypt could purchase and contract for them. Egypt also buys weapons from Russia, so for every dollar paid, you get the best available. Egypt refused to buy the MIG-35 until after obtaining the R-77ME missile. The Russians themselves said that they are offering the R-37M missile to Vietnam and Egypt to arm SU-35/30 fighters because Egypt wants to obtain long-range air-to-air missiles.
Egypt will benefit from the results of the Russian-Ukrainian war due to the developments that have been made to all Russian ammunition, such as extending the operating range of guided bombs to 70 kilometers and improving the capabilities of Russian-Russian missiles, whether for fighters or KA-52.

Egypt did not contract for the second batch of Rafale fighters except on the condition of obtaining METEOR missiles and perhaps preliminary numbers from the French stockpile 10-20 missiles directly, as Greece requested, in addition to a large contract, besides that the Rafale will indeed be supplied with all Indian ammunition ASTRA-MK2/3 and RUDARM-2/ 3 , BRAHOMS-NG , SAAW
1694256983524.png

The most important reason for Egypt to contract with Chinese fighter jets is the license to produce PL-15E missiles.
India has obtained a license to export ASRAAM BLOCK 6 missiles to countries that acquire LCA-TEJAS MK1A fighters without any restrictions from MBDA or England. It is also working on developing a meter for the aircraft for each batch of 40 aircraft that will be improved over the previous version, in addition to its offers to develop the TEJAS-MK1A aircraft. By reducing the weight by an additional 400 kilograms and reducing the radar signature of the nose of the plane, while working to reduce the prices of the LCA-MK1A plane and the ASTRA MK1 missile, and improving the range to 130 kilometers, all within the programs to promote the fighter to market it to Egypt and other countries.

sddefault332312.jpg

India and Egypt did work on some fighter jet in the past, I can't remember which it was but we did.

We are looking for partners, and am sure it can help us both to work on such varied projects. Maybe Egypt can help us market products all over Africa, win win for both I would say.
Your referring to the ha-300 project that was original purchased from Spain. The aircraft was known as the marut in Indian service, as far as the project goes, it was terminated from egypts side due to economic burdens that happened at the time, I dont think anything progressed over the financing and minor testing phase.

I'm taking about in depth projects where both heavily benefit. I can see both nations working on a arjun mk 3 where egypt can incorporate some ideas into the project, but since its an Indian product, they have the final say. Potentially even a tejas mk 2 varient in the future. What would really be crazy is if russia steps away from the brahmose missle project and india becomes the teacher, while egypt steps in as the student of the program. This is very unlikely, but with the dynamics of this world constantly shifting, its not too far out of the ordinary to consider. Amca project would benefit from experience as well

Your referring to the ha-300 project that was original purchased from Spain. The aircraft was known as the marut in Indian service, as far as the project goes, it was terminated from egypts side due to economic burdens that happened at the time, I dont think anything progressed over the financing and minor testing phase.

I'm taking about in depth projects where both heavily benefit. I can see both nations working on a arjun mk 3 where egypt can incorporate some ideas into the project, but since its an Indian product, they have the final say. Potentially even a tejas mk 2 varient in the future. What would really be crazy is if russia steps away from the brahmose missle project and india becomes the teacher, while egypt steps in as the student of the program. This is very unlikely, but with the dynamics of this world constantly shifting, its not too far out of the ordinary to consider. Amca project would benefit from experience as well
Thanks yes I couldn't remember the project name

As for the tank, there is a issue with Arjun when it comes to its weight as per IA. They want a tank in the weight class of 55 tons, where as the current tank is around 60 tons. However there is a future tank project being planned, maybe something can happen there.

Tejas Mk2 is more of a possibility, as the prototype is under build now. Expected to fly in first half of next year, and I remember reading that HAL is ready to open a production line in Egypt if am not wrong if Tejas gets selected by Egypt.

Brahmos is a joint production, so we can't see that happen. However there are other Hypersonic programs happening, like HSTDV (it was tested once or twice, and is more like a glide vehicle than a proper cruise missile). There is another program called Project Vishnu, details are sketchy so we have to wait. Both are Hypersonic programs, and perhaps we can expect some cooperation there if Egypt is interested.

What about helis like LCH? Am sure Egypt operates good number of them, maybe not light weight class but medium or maybe heavy category ones? There is a UCAV program happening, first flight expected in 2025 or 2026. That is one more area of cooperation, if our countries want to work together.

Are there Any Helicopter requirement of Egypt that India can fulfill,
In my opinion these are the possible candidates

• The HAL Light Utility Helicopter (LUH) can replace the French Gazelle and ancient UH 12 helicopters.

• IMRH can replace Soviet Mi 8 and Mi 17 (infact if things go well Egypt can be a partner in the IMRH program)

• HAL Dhruv can replace Mi 4 and UH 60 (well kind of as they are not exactly comparable)

• HAL Rudra and HAL Prachand can form the light attack helicopter fleet of Egypt

Back
Top Bottom