What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Apparently we are getting 30 F-16 upgraded to Block 52 (sadly not Block 50/70), AMRAAMs are rumored but... only time will tell. This said I believe that AMRAAMs are already wired to our Block 52s but were not supplied. This comes along with our AH-64D upgrades too, I think we can expect an annual upgrade of Block 40 batches in the near future.
Do you think we should sign the CISMOA once our Su-35s are delivered? I find this a good idea myself if it doesn’t place any restrictions on the rest of the Egyptian Air Force.
Not a confirmed for me but it falls under probable, I’ll be sharing anything I find about this topic.

I think this photo here shows an F-16 that had its engine overhauled/upgraded as mentioned in the article you shared lately

Love the successive tank pics. M1 always makes for great firing shots.

If you look at the entire fleet of F-16s, they all have those GE engines as the EAF had requested them when they ordered all the aircraft because maintenance supposedly is not only easier, the engines are also appealing to the pilots more so than the Pratt & Whitneys for whatever reason. But when they ordered the Block 52s, they only came with the Pratt & Whitney because once you get into the 2's (such as the blck 52), you automatically get the P&W engines while if you get the 10's (such as the block 50), you get the GEs because they had to share the economics of the two engine makers.

The GE turkey feathers are very recognizable.

9856.jpg

While only the block 52s have the P&W with the all-black nozzles and not so distinctive turkey feathers.

ELR_3o-WoAATKEv.jpg

Apparently we are getting 30 F-16 upgraded to Block 52 (sadly not Block 50/70), AMRAAMs are rumored but... only time will tell. This said I believe that AMRAAMs are already wired to our Block 52s but were not supplied. This comes along with our AH-64D upgrades too, I think we can expect an annual upgrade of Block 40 batches in the near future.
Do you think we should sign the CISMOA once our Su-35s are delivered? I find this a good idea myself if it doesn’t place any restrictions on the rest of the Egyptian Air Force.

So what's this fella saying, that only a portion of the CISMOA was signed? That doesn't make any sense TBH. I think they had to sign the entire thing or not sign it. Or is he saying it wasn't signed at all? I thought the news came out that it was already signed. As a matter of fact, the US embassy in Cairo released a public statement indicating that it was signed so not sure what he's talking about?! Who is this guy?

So what's this fella saying, that only a portion of the CISMOA was signed? That doesn't make any sense TBH. I think they had to sign the entire thing or not sign it. Or is he saying it wasn't signed at all? I thought the news came out that it was already signed. As a matter of fact, the US embassy in Cairo released a public statement indicating that it was signed so not sure what he's talking about?! Who is this guy?
I found this written in more than one unofficial Egyptian Military on social media, if we get AIM-9Xs supplied that’ll mean that they will inspect our fleet from time to time, this is one of the CISMOA bands.
There are at least 2 main bands which are;
- The US gets to inspect the use of sensitive equipment (that is to insure it doesn’t reach third parties).
- The US accesses the counties communications and/or datalink.
I believe the latter hasn’t been agreed on, else this upgrade would be a joke.
Yes, the CISMOA said to be signed by the Egyptian Embassy in the US but there hasn’t been any recognized increase in the US personnel in Egypt (just USAF F-15Es that took part in Operation Bright Star). In other words it is a ‘modified’ deal that many claim Egypt to have signed.

Been reading here a lot because I am interested in Arab world armies since I have some Egyptian and Iraqi friends in Germany. Particularly I am interested in the defense industry aspect.

This thermal imager is quite interesting, it has the opportunity of being very good for detecting aircraft and modernization of vehicles. I think it would be very good at detecting aircraft especially for short range missilein units with some sources saying that similar images can detect aircraft and air targets at 20+km away.

Long_Range_Thermal_Imager_D39_picture_925_001.jpg

The D39 is working in the 8-12 µm spectral band with a frame rate of 50 Hz. It has an identification performance of 550 m for human and 1700 m for a vehicle, and detects human and vehicle at respectively up to 3,500 m and 10,300 m. It feature

Last edited:
I saw something interesting at a factory, it looks to be a short range radar. I think this is fully Egyptian product but we will see at EDEX 2020.

View attachment 656944
Quite interesting, maybe when you are unbanned you can link some information about this. It does seem to be what you say it is though at least I think. Maybe it is reverse engineered from something.

But also there are South African companies that are producing radars like Reutech that will give ToT to Egypt as they have done with the Saudi Arabs.

https://www.reutechradar.com/products

Last edited:
@ARCH٤R
Yes egypt needs private companies to establish as it is proven that state owned companies are usually putting out worse products then private companies comparing Soviet to United States at least. Question is how hard is it do establish a defense company, and is the Egyptian military open to buying from them.

Do you know when these are going to be replaced? Think something like Globaleye from Sweden is much better for Egyptian air forces.

Probably not for a while. As far as I know, they have 8 of them but I heard someone say they're operating 9 so I'm not sure about the count but either way, they're going to be in use for a while and the latest one is from 2010, so it's pretty recent and the others have been brought up to that one.

Any replacement will be a while down the road and definitely anything but Swedish because their government is NOT in the same thinking plane as Egypt's government, to put it lightly. Basically they don't like the Egyptian government and so they won't sell anything to it.

Probably not for a while. As far as I know, they have 8 of them but I heard someone say they're operating 9 so I'm not sure about the count but either way, they're going to be in use for a while and the latest one is from 2010, so it's pretty recent and the others have been brought up to that one.

Any replacement will be a while down the road and definitely anything but Swedish because their government is NOT in the same thinking plane as Egypt's government, to put it lightly. Basically they don't like the Egyptian government and so they won't sell anything to it.
Quite weird, they sell to the Emirates but not Egyptian. I wonder what other options that Egypt has, maybe another country can supply Egpyt in the future.

Some members were mentioning the Falaj class from Italian shipbuilder. It was used with joint exercise and is pictured with Mistrals. Very well armed for a ship of 550 tons.

4 Exocet
6 Mica VL missile

Falaj-2-class-patrol-boats-P252Qarnen-United-Arab-Emirates-Navy-stealth-inshore-patrol-vessels-IPVsP251Ganthoot-5fALAJ2Stealth-UAE-Navy-Ghantoot-P252-Salahah-e1475405840323-1523434993.jpg

I found this written in more than one unofficial Egyptian Military on social media, if we get AIM-9Xs supplied that’ll mean that they will inspect our fleet from time to time, this is one of the CISMOA bands.
There are at least 2 main bands which are;
- The US gets to inspect the use of sensitive equipment (that is to insure it doesn’t reach third parties).
- The US accesses the counties communications and/or datalink.
I believe the latter hasn’t been agreed on, else this upgrade would be a joke.

Yep, that's pretty much the catch with that. Those who have US AMRAAMs and other sensitive US tech have all signed that agreement and they have to deal with the US inspections and eventuality of having to lease their airbases to it. I think India is still holding out from signing that since they really don't need to until they decide to start purchasing US weapons.

Yes, the CISMOA said to be signed by the Egyptian Embassy in the US but there hasn’t been any recognized increase in the US personnel in Egypt (just USAF F-15Es that took part in Operation Bright Star). In other words it is a ‘modified’ deal that many claim Egypt to have signed.

Interesting. I think that if the US embassy comes out and makes an official and public statement outlining that the Egyptian government has in fact signed the CISMOA, that sounds like it's pretty much an officially done deal as far as the entire kicking kabutle is concerned. Meaning I believe it's fully signed. I think some of the fellas might like to think that there's some partial agreement or something like that, but I honestly think that's wishful thinking. Sisi just needs to keep doing what he's doing and if the US starts bitching, he tells them to start delivering the right stuff and then maybe we'll think about these other things. In the meantime, keep going Russian and French and German and whomever else until the US buckles.

Quite weird, they sell to the Emirates but not Egyptian. I wonder what other options that Egypt has, maybe another country can supply Egpyt in the future.

Yeah what are you gonna do. The Swedes' tech is not gonna make or brake the Egyptian military that's for sure. Besides, I think they're perfectly happy with the E-2Cs as long as they keep upgrading them and their libraries etc. they'll be fine. France just bought a couple of E-2Ds and we all know the US navy has been using the E-2Cs for ages and they love them. All the EAF ones are all set up nicely to work with all the EAF platforms from all the available information that we have. So no need to mess with that ATM.

Some members were mentioning the Falaj class from Italian shipbuilder. It was used with joint exercise and is pictured with Mistrals. Very well armed for a ship of 550 tons.

4 Exocet
6 Mica VL missile

Falaj-2-class-patrol-boats-P252Qarnen-United-Arab-Emirates-Navy-stealth-inshore-patrol-vessels-IPVsP251Ganthoot-5fALAJ2Stealth-UAE-Navy-Ghantoot-P252-Salahah-e1475405840323-1523434993.jpg

Very nice. I really hope they sign that mega deal and get those cute little Gowinds!

47573580_10157988358498136_799705309739220992_o.jpg

47043794_10157988358553136_1775138274386378752_n.jpg

Now I told you how the Serbs used the radar that the Egyptian radar is based on and decided to do more research and found this on Facebook.

Serb friends who are ex vets much older than I am told me that it was able to stagger prf and had 24 channels against ECM. It evaded multiple HARM and ALARM missiles in combat. They told me it could detect F-16s, and other aircraft at pretty far ranges compared to the Russian radars which were jammed very easily but EW is obviously not going to be geared towards your own(NATO) systems.

Last edited:
Now I told you how the Serbs used the radar that the Egyptian radar is based on and decided to do more research and found this on Facebook.

Serb friends who are ex vets much older than I am told me that it was able to stagger prf and had 24 channels against ECM. It evaded multiple HARM and ALARM missiles in combat. They told me it could detect F-16s, and other aircraft at pretty far ranges compared to the Russian radars which were jammed very easily but EW is obviously not going to be geared towards your own(NATO) systems.

Interesting. Was that the same one they spotted the ill-fated F-117 with?
If it's that good against ECM and it evaded HARMs and ALARMs, it must've supported ADSs which makes me think that was the one they were able to spot the Nighthawk with too.

Back
Top Bottom