What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Egyptian military to acquire powerful Russian aircraft, Italian warships: photos and video

https://www.almasdarnews.com/articl...n-aircraft-italian-warships-photos-and-video/

I wonder what they meant about this...

A document published by the official website of the Russian government contracts and tenders revealed a tender related to the contract to supply some electrical connections and cables that will enter the manufacture of a new weapon for Egypt.

Mmmmm......are they talking about an Egyptian developed weapon that they want to be able to fire off the Su-35 or a new Russian weapon? That's about as vague as can be. I'm leaning to the former or something that will allow them to fire some current missiles in the EAF inventory or maybe they're referring to the Kh-59MK2 most likely. I doubt they'll maintain the 550 km range one but rather the export ones at 330. But who checks anyway? Time to make our own missiles.

5ecd0fd942360469c37f9ab3.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder what they meant about this...

A document published by the official website of the Russian government contracts and tenders revealed a tender related to the contract to supply some electrical connections and cables that will enter the manufacture of a new weapon for Egypt.

Mmmmm......are they talking about an Egyptian developed weapon that they want to be able to fire off the Su-35 or a new Russian weapon? That's about as vague as can be. I'm leaning to the former or something that will allow them to fire some current missiles in the EAF inventory or maybe they're referring to the Kh-59MK2 most likely. I doubt they'll maintain the 550 km range one but rather the export ones at 330. But who checks anyway? Time to make our own missiles.

5ecd0fd942360469c37f9ab3.jpg
It is more likely an indication and proof of the start to manufacture the SU-35 for the EAF.. but your thoughts are worth meditating on..

HaHa.. that is a good one .. who checks anyway..I thought about it many times.. and in case of use in war ..it will be too late to check or cry about it.. but we should assume it is just 300km range and start making own cruise missiles that we can control the range and payload.. a 1000 km range is even better than 550 km..

I can only guess there is a combined work in progress between many Arab countries where everyone is trying to get a piece or two with ToT.. to make whole weapon systems in the near future..

In the case of the Egyptian ballistic missiles as the Condor.. all it was missing were precise guidance technologies and some carbon-carbon body parts for re-entry.. all of which are available now for years in the Arab world.. It is the same with cruise missiles.. it is only a matter of the right time to announce them.. for now still playing the poor guy to get the most possible..:lol:

And even dropping a Rafale and getting its Spectra and other tech to duplicate or build on it for the future.. is not a strange thought to me..only the future will tell.. as many countries built their cruise missiles on American ones lost or downed in Afghanistan and elsewhere..Or Iran with its America most sophisticated drones that it hacked and landed in their country to make 100s of them..It is a world of opportunities.. and Arabs don't usually miss good opportunities ..be it covert or overt..

Last edited:
If the NETTUNO 4100 is still not exportable outside the EU .. There are several alternatives, the most important of which is the EW Package system, which includes the Vigile R-ESM and Scorpion 2 R-ECM systems, produced by the French company Thales.. the Scorpion 2 R-ECM is already working on the Gowind Corvettes of the Egyptian Navy..

The Russians are late to the game on the SP jammers. IAF fighters have been using Israeli Elta E-8222 SPJ for a long time now.

Su-30s, Jaguars, MiG-27s, Sea Harriers and even MiG-29s were integrated with this pod earlier. But they never bought enough of these Elta 8222 pods to equip all fighters fleet wide.

Here's a MiG-21 Bison with an Elta 8222 SPJ.
https%3A%2F%2Fs3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fthe-drive-cms-content-staging%2Fmessage-editor%252F1552339309135-26166482_831795270327343_7356280224995942741_n.jpg

MiG-27 with the Elta 8222 SPJ pod

mig-273.JPG

Tejas Mk1A will likely use the Elta E-8222WB wide band self protection and jamming pod. It is even smaller and lighter than the Russian one and also uses DRFM. My expectation is that we'll see these Elta 8222 WB SPJs making their way back to the Tejas Mk1 fleet as well.

Do we know if this Israeli system was hooked up to the Bison that was shot down on the border or not? You would think that the IAF would mount them on any aircraft flying close missions to conflict zones where there's a strong chance of being fired on with either an A2A or even a G2A missile. If it was wearing one, then that Israeli crap failed :D (just messing with you) or they weren't using them on that one, unfortunate MiG-21. If they actually perform as advertised, then you would think that every single jet would be equipped with one whenever conducting relatively dangerous missions.

BTW, question for you or @Lord Of Gondor or more so for @Zapper since he was the one who brought this up on the Chinese J-20 news and discussion thread when he posted the video of the 2 Su-30MKIs that allegedly detected/spotted and identified 2 J-20s on their radars while flying over the mountains of Tibet of thereabouts. How reliable is this information and is there more to the story as to the distance & altitude the MKIs were at when they picked them up and are they using the powerful N011M BARS radar or something else? Also, is the IAF still going to upgrade all 260 MKIs with the Zhuk-AE AESA radar when it becomes available? Of did they change their minds on that? I would think that mega costly upgrade would only be on a certain number of aircraft. But it seems like Russia is having a really hard time getting that radar fully functional and to the assembly line. Cooling and the gimbal have been the 2 primary issues for the delay from what I've read so far and the reason I ask is because if the 2 Su-30s truly and in fact did detect the pair of J-20s (which are supposed to be the stealthiest of stealthy aircraft out there 2nd to the F-35) using the NO111M BARS, then I would say that thing is doing a pretty damn good job and why pay all that crazy money for a major upgrade to the Zhuk-AE?

It is more likely an indication and proof of the start to manufacture the SU-35 for the EAF.. but your thoughts are worth meditating on..

HaHa.. that is a good one .. who checks anyway..I thought about it many times.. and in case of use in war ..it will be too late to check or cry about it.. but we should assume it is just 300km range and start making own cruise missiles that we can control the range and payload.. a 1000 km range is even better than 550 km..

I can only guess there is a combined work in progress between many Arab countries where everyone is trying to get a piece or two with ToT.. to make whole weapon systems in the near future..

In the case of the Egyptian ballistic missiles as the Condor.. all it was missing were precise guidance technologies and some carbon-carbon body parts for re-entry.. all of which are available now for years in the Arab world.. It is the same with cruise missiles.. it is only a matter of the right time to announce them.. for now still playing the poor guy to get the most possible..:lol:

And even dropping a Rafale and getting its Spectra and other tech to duplicate or build on it for the future.. is not a strange thought to me..only the future will tell.. as many countries built their cruise missiles on American ones lost or downed in Afghanistan and elsewhere..Or Iran with its America most sophisticated drones that it hacked and landed in their country to make 100s of them..It is a world of opportunities.. and Arabs don't usually miss good opportunities ..be it covert or overt..

Yep. I think it's really easy to look at what China did with getting their hands on intellectual property and moving into the reverse engineering phase at such a rapid pace and producing unbelievable and frankly staggering amounts of technologies from missiles to UAVs to aircraft just to name a few. Granted that they've been at it since the MiG-15 and so they've acquired a tremendous amount of experience. But with the level of computers we have today as well as 3D printing technologies, it's only easier to be able to reproduce infield recreations. I'm also sure that there are certain elements put in place by the makers of the original weapons sold today to make it harder to do just that, but I think we have a bit of a head start to get to a higher level much quicker than others might think. I think from EW systems to UAVs to A2A missiles should be the first and foremost items they should be working on.

I think we are going to see a similar situation with the Storm Shadow CM if the EF Typhoon deal comes to fruition since the EAF will obviously order 50 to go with the 24 jets just like they ordered 50 SCALPs to go with the 24 Rafales and we know how that ended up. Granted they solved that headache and the EAF received all 50 units eventually, but it was a headache to deal with which I'm sure also strained the relationship with France a bit as well. Take a SCALP and open her up, dissect a frog, scan it in an MRI machine and run it through a computer diagnostics to make a blueprint and then put a few great minds from the huge pool of engineers we have on it and start producing an indigenous copy. They need to do that with A2A missiles as well. I don't think it's that difficult at all, they just need to be prepared for the consequences and deal with them. Those are the items that run out quickly and need replenishing during wartime.

Last edited:
Do we know if this Israeli system was hooked up to the Bison that was shot down on the border or not? You would think that the IAF would mount them on any aircraft flying close missions to conflict zones where there's a strong chance of being fired on with either an A2A or even a G2A missile. If it was wearing one, then that Israeli crap failed :D (just messing with you) or they weren't using them on that one, unfortunate MiG-21. If they actually perform as advertised, then you would think that every single jet would be equipped with one whenever conducting relatively dangerous missions.

No, it wasn't carrying one. It had 2 R-77s and 2 R-73s and the Bison basically has just 4 wing hardpoints and a centerline hardpoint for a drop tank. It was used during Exercise Cope Thunder with the USAF and reportedly did very well.

BTW, question for you or @Lord Of Gondor or more so for @Zapper since he was the one who brought this up on the Chinese J-20 news and discussion thread when he posted the video of the 2 Su-30MKIs that allegedly detected/spotted and identified 2 J-20s on their radars while flying over the mountains of Tibet of thereabouts. How reliable is this information and is there more to the story as to the distance & altitude the MKIs were at when they picked them up and are they using the powerful N011M BARS radar or something else? Also, is the IAF still going to upgrade all 260 MKIs with the Zhuk-AE AESA radar when it becomes available? Of did they change their minds on that? I would think that mega costly upgrade would only be on a certain number of aircraft. But it seems like Russia is having a really hard time getting that radar fully functional and to the assembly line. Cooling and the gimbal have been the 2 primary issues for the delay from what I've read so far and the reason I ask is because if the 2 Su-30s truly and in fact did detect the pair of J-20s (which are supposed to be the stealthiest of stealthy aircraft out there 2nd to the F-35) using the NO111M BARS, then I would say that thing is doing a pretty damn good job and why pay all that crazy money for a major upgrade to the Zhuk-AE?

TBH, it is reliable upto the point that the then IAF Air Chief Marshal had commented on this. Typically they don't say anything publicly, so the fact that he did indicates that they did actually detect them and must have from quite a distance because ACM Dhanoa actually remarked on the RCS of the J-20 not being that low. Maybe the J-20s were carrying Luneberg lens to increase their RCS artificially.

Beyond that there is no info on what happened and I doubt there will be.

There is a plan to proceed with the Super-Sukhoi or Super-30 upgrade. The radar hasn't been decided as yet, but might not be the Zhuk-AE. As you mentioned, it is not yet in production and Russia to date doesn't have an AESA radar in serial production that could be used for the upgrade. Perhaps it might be Irbis PESA radar for the first blocks till an alternative is available.

One possibility is also the indigenous Uttam AESA radar. It is currently in flight tests on a Tejas Mk1 prototype platform. Based on what a scientist had revealed earlier this year, the bulk of it's air to air modes have already been tested. Some air to ground modes remain to be tested. It will continue to be in testing and once ready, will definitely be seen on future indigenous platforms.

the Su-30MKI is the bulk of the IAF today and while not even close to being obsolescent, the plan is still to upgrade the fleet to keep it cutting edge. Radar, EW suite, cockpit displays, MAWS, etc. will be among the systems that will be upgraded. Some of the older systems that date back to 2001 and earlier when the Su-30MKI first began entering service, will be replaced- obsolescence management.

BTW, question for you or @Lord Of Gondor or more so for @Zapper since he was the one who brought this up on the Chinese J-20 news and discussion thread when he posted the video of the 2 Su-30MKIs that allegedly detected/spotted and identified 2 J-20s on their radars while flying over the mountains of Tibet of thereabouts. How reliable is this information and is there more to the story as to the distance & altitude the MKIs were at when they picked them up and are they using the powerful N011M BARS radar or something else?
Few media outlets reported that Su-30MKI did detect J-20's flying over Tibet. There is a probability the J-20 might not be in fully stealth mode. They might be carrying external fuel tanks or any other device fitted on the ventral side which gives out a larger signature.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-j-20-stealth-jet-spotted-by-india-air-force-su-30mki-2018-5

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/problem-can-chinas-j-20-stealth-fighter-be-picked-radar-44417

https://fighterjetsworld.com/latest-news/how-su-30-mki-manages-to-detect-chinese-j-20-stealth-jet-chengdu/3545/

Also, is the IAF still going to upgrade all 260 MKIs with the Zhuk-AE AESA radar when it becomes available? Of did they change their minds on that? I would think that mega costly upgrade would only be on a certain number of aircraft

Super Sukhoi's primary aim is to bring the current Su-30MKI's to Su-35 standard which is to be implemented in phases. Given the cash crunch, global economic slowdown, starting 3 new fighter jet programs (MWF, TEDBF, AMCA) and IAF's recent affinity towards western platforms...the Super Sukhoi program might be stalled but there is still a possibility to fit it with Uttam AESA once fully tested

2 Su-30s truly and in fact did detect the pair of J-20s (which are supposed to be the stealthiest of stealthy aircraft out there 2nd to the F-35) using the NO111M BARS
Western media always claimed their platforms to be far superior to Russian counterparts. They also took a dig at Su-57 stating it's RCS to be much higher than claimed. Chinese are new to the fighter jet game, most of their J-series are blatant rip-offs of Russian flankers. While J-20 still might be a good aircraft, I doubt it exceeds the Su-57 in terms of stealth

No, it wasn't carrying one. It had 2 R-77s and 2 R-73s and the Bison basically has just 4 wing hardpoints and a centerline hardpoint for a drop tank. It was used during Exercise Cope Thunder with the USAF and reportedly did very well.

Oh I'm a big fan, believe me. Just look at my username! :-) The EAF has quite the history with the MiG-21 and that fighter jet's first air to air kill was by an EAF MiG-21 in early 1967 I believe. I had posted the story here on this thread a while back.

TBH, it is reliable upto the point that the then IAF Air Chief Marshal had commented on this. Typically they don't say anything publicly, so the fact that he did indicates that they did actually detect them and must have from quite a distance because ACM Dhanoa actually remarked on the RCS of the J-20 not being that low. Maybe the J-20s were carrying Luneberg lens to increase their RCS artificially.

That was the first thing I thought of after reading Zapper's post, was that it might've been very possible that the J-20s were wearing luneberg lenses as they often do and we see a lot of pics with them on. Definitely very plausible.

Few media outlets reported that Su-30MKI did detect J-20's flying over Tibet. There is a probability the J-20 might not be in fully stealth mode. They might be carrying external fuel tanks or any other device fitted on the ventral side which gives out a larger signature.

https://www.businessinsider.com/chinas-j-20-stealth-jet-spotted-by-india-air-force-su-30mki-2018-5

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/problem-can-chinas-j-20-stealth-fighter-be-picked-radar-44417

https://fighterjetsworld.com/latest-news/how-su-30-mki-manages-to-detect-chinese-j-20-stealth-jet-chengdu/3545/

Super Sukhoi's primary aim is to bring the current Su-30MKI's to Su-35 standard which is to be implemented in phases. Given the cash crunch, global economic slowdown, starting 3 new fighter jet programs (MWF, TEDBF, AMCA) and IAF's recent affinity towards western platforms...the Super Sukhoi program might be stalled but there is still a possibility to fit it with Uttam AESA once fully tested

Western media always claimed their platforms to be far superior to Russian counterparts. They also took a dig at Su-57 stating it's RCS to be much higher than claimed. Chinese are new to the fighter jet game, most of their J-series are blatant rip-offs of Russian flankers. While J-20 still might be a good aircraft, I doubt it exceeds the Su-57 in terms of stealth

The interesting difference I notice between all the photos and comparisons we're seeing between the J-20 and the Su-57 is the former wearing the Luneberg lenses quite often in many of the photographs, while I don't think there is a single photo of the Su-57 with such a device mounted on it. I find that pretty interesting and how the Chinese have practically duplicated much of the US stealth designs so fast and even the method to increase the RCS!!! Crazy.

The reason I had asked you guys about that event is that it just supports the credibility of these Russian-built radars and how powerful they are. The BARS being in the Indian Su-30MKIs and the IRBIS intended in the eventual EAF Su-35s seem to be very capable radars and then some. And looking at the EAF's MiG-29M/35s have the same radars as the Indian MiG-29Ks (and UPGs I believe?) in the Zhuk-ME which is also a VERY sound and capable radar. The difference between them and their eventual AESA version seems somewhat negligible in the added range as well as the added number of detected and prioritized targets. It just doesn't seem like a huge and worthy upgrade. Good stuff.

Oh I'm a big fan, believe me. Just look at my username! :-) The EAF has quite the history with the MiG-21 and that fighter jet's first air to air kill was by an EAF MiG-21 in early 1967 I believe. I had posted the story here on this thread a while back.

That was the first thing I thought of after reading Zapper's post, was that it might've been very possible that the J-20s were wearing luneberg lenses as they often do and we see a lot of pics with them on. Definitely very plausible.

The interesting difference I notice between all the photos and comparisons we're seeing between the J-20 and the Su-57 is the former wearing the Luneberg lenses quite often in many of the photographs, while I don't think there is a single photo of the Su-57 with such a device mounted on it. I find that pretty interesting and how the Chinese have practically duplicated much of the US stealth designs so fast and even the method to increase the RCS!!! Crazy.

The reason I had asked you guys about that event is that it just supports the credibility of these Russian-built radars and how powerful they are. The BARS being in the Indian Su-30MKIs and the IRBIS intended in the eventual EAF Su-35s seem to be very capable radars and then some. And looking at the EAF's MiG-29M/35s have the same radars as the Indian MiG-29Ks (and UPGs I believe?) in the Zhuk-ME which is also a VERY sound and capable radar. The difference between them and their eventual AESA version seems somewhat negligible in the added range as well as the added number of detected and prioritized targets. It just doesn't seem like a huge and worthy upgrade. Good stuff.
The worthiness of the AESA radars is that they make the fighter less visible when using its radar..

The worthiness of the AESA radars is that they make the fighter less visible when using its radar..

There's so much more in terms of advantages of an AESA radar over mechanically scanning or even PESA radars. Most obvious one is the much much higher reliability of the AESA radar due to no mechanical parts. A rapidly swiveling gimbal fails quite often (which defines the MTBF of radars to a degree) whereas AESA radars have no such moving parts that can fail or at least those without the swashplate like on the Selex Raven.

And AESA radars tend to fail gracefully, where individual T/R elements can fail but the radar is still operational with the hundreds of other T/R elements still working. In the case of a mech scanning radar, an antenna failure means the radar is non operational. Plus there is the LPI aspect and the ability of inter-leaved modes that allow both air to ground and air to air scanning simultaneously. Also the quality of being to change the beam from one azimuth to another azimuth instantaneously without having to scan the entire region in between. Or being able to continue tracking multiple targets and providing guidance to multiple missiles.

It is basically a revolutionary improvement in the reliability and capability of radars.

There's so much more in terms of advantages of an AESA radar over mechanically scanning or even PESA radars. Most obvious one is the much much higher reliability of the AESA radar due to no mechanical parts. A rapidly swiveling gimbal fails quite often (which defines the MTBF of radars to a degree) whereas AESA radars have no such moving parts that can fail or at least those without the swashplate like on the Selex Raven.

And AESA radars tend to fail gracefully, where individual T/R elements can fail but the radar is still operational with the hundreds of other T/R elements still working. In the case of a mech scanning radar, an antenna failure means the radar is non operational. Plus there is the LPI aspect and the ability of inter-leaved modes that allow both air to ground and air to air scanning simultaneously. Also the quality of being to change the beam from one azimuth to another azimuth instantaneously without having to scan the entire region in between. Or being able to continue tracking multiple targets and providing guidance to multiple missiles.

It is basically a revolutionary improvement in the reliability and capability of radars.
Yes true.. and I was commenting only on one aspect..

I would give its chirping abilities as its biggest advantage in that it's harder to jam since it changes frequencies with every pulse which makes it very difficult to track and jam if it's bouncing around frequencies.

BTW, I think both the BARS and the IRBIS-E radars display air to air & air to sea as well as air to air & air to land simultaneously if I'm not mistaken. I might have to check on that but I could've sworn reading it somewhere.

I got a fun radar story for you. When I was shopping for a new GPS to augment the older one on the boat, I decided to go with a Garmin package deal that included the 18 inch radome. For the first year or so, I didn't really use it that much because the GPS has so many new features to get used to and what I was more concerned with learning was setting waypoints and learning dangerous depth areas and even managing certain engine features.

Eb55BEX.jpg

Now we could go out at nighttime and it made a huge difference with feeling safe as that thing picks up items like you wouldn't believe it. And it's very accurate, to boot.

But after I got used to using it for nighttime outings and during heavy fog, I realized that it was much more valuable to just leave on all the time and overlay it on the navigation map. By doing that, I got one of the best spots ever which was one day last summer, I decided to go a bit offshore by myself to a marine sanctuary that is about 70 miles from Boston called Stellwagon Bank. It's basically a plateau that stays at around 100ft or so and because of that constant depth, it attracts a lot of very cool marine life from all sorts of sharks, to tuna to rays, turtles and mostly known for this area is whales. Lots of humpback wales and that one day, I'm blasting out that way with my rods ready to go.

i get past the beginning of the sanctuary and I see schools of fish on my fishfinder and so I stop and get ready to throw a couple of lines out and what do I see on the screen? Now remember I have my radar overlayed on the navigation screen but check out that long, red shape between the 262 depth demarcation line and the + sing on the touch screen in the top right corner. See that longish, red shape? That was a whale that was just below the surface! When I took that picture of the screen, I noticed that thing and so I looked in that direction and the thing surfaces for a second, blows out air from its blow hole and dives back down and I'm freaking out trying to get a pic of it when it resurfaces but it never does. I was out in the middle of nowhere and never ended up catching anything because I was just too busy looking for that thing to resurface lol. But that just goes to show you how incredible that radar is that it picked up the whale just below the surface right before it came up and you can even see the outline and the tail, but not the pectoral fins probably because they're deeper. I wish I had a better pic.

Click to enlarge.
Gzhzi29.jpg

I would give its chirping abilities as its biggest advantage in that it's harder to jam since it changes frequencies with every pulse which makes it very difficult to track and jam if it's bouncing around frequencies.

BTW, I think both the BARS and the IRBIS-E radars display air to air & air to sea as well as air to air & air to land simultaneously if I'm not mistaken. I might have to check on that but I could've sworn reading it somewhere.

I got a fun radar story for you. When I was shopping for a new GPS to augment the older one on the boat, I decided to go with a Garmin package deal that included the 18 inch radome. For the first year or so, I didn't really use it that much because the GPS has so many new features to get used to and what I was more concerned with learning was setting waypoints and learning dangerous depth areas and even managing certain engine features.

Eb55BEX.jpg

Now we could go out at nighttime and it made a huge difference with feeling safe as that thing picks up items like you wouldn't believe it. And it's very accurate, to boot.

But after I got used to using it for nighttime outings and during heavy fog, I realized that it was much more valuable to just leave on all the time and overlay it on the navigation map. By doing that, I got one of the best spots ever which was one day last summer, I decided to go a bit offshore by myself to a marine sanctuary that is about 70 miles from Boston called Stellwagon Bank. It's basically a plateau that stays at around 100ft or so and because of that constant depth, it attracts a lot of very cool marine life from all sorts of sharks, to tuna to rays, turtles and mostly known for this area is whales. Lots of humpback wales and that one day, I'm blasting out that way with my rods ready to go.

i get past the beginning of the sanctuary and I see schools of fish on my fishfinder and so I stop and get ready to throw a couple of lines out and what do I see on the screen? Now remember I have my radar overlayed on the navigation screen but check out that long, red shape between the 262 depth demarcation line and the + sing on the touch screen in the top right corner. See that longish, red shape? That was a whale that was just below the surface! When I took that picture of the screen, I noticed that thing and so I looked in that direction and the thing surfaces for a second, blows out air from its blow hole and dives back down and I'm freaking out trying to get a pic of it when it resurfaces but it never does. I was out in the middle of nowhere and never ended up catching anything because I was just too busy looking for that thing to resurface lol. But that just goes to show you how incredible that radar is that it picked up the whale just below the surface right before it came up and you can even see the outline and the tail, but not the pectoral fins probably because they're deeper. I wish I had a better pic.

Click to enlarge.
Gzhzi29.jpg
I know Garmin is amazing.. I had a GPS watch from them about 10-15 years ago..and I could find my position precisely on any map..and also see the satellite positions..maybe they had a nano-radar on it.. lol..

2_h.jpg

ST-200 looks interesting if Egypt's claims of it being produced almost fully indigenous are true. Don't know if this is worded correctly as IMUT is owned by an Egyptian company iirc.

During his visit, Sisi inspected the new military loader 900 as well as the armored vehicle Sinai 200. The ministry manufactured all parts of the loader, excluding the engine and tires, which were produced by International Marathon United Technology (IMUT).

Back
Top Bottom