What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Su-35S L-Band Wing Radar
Role: Radar, FCR, Air-to-Air & Air-to-Surface, Medium-Range
Max Range: 222.2 km

NIIP-L-Band-AESA-FOR-1S.png

AESA geometrical field of regard, assuming a mainlobe beam steering angle of ±50° off the array boresight. Single plane monopulse precision angle tracking is feasible in the volume covered simultaneously by both arrays

NIIP-L-Band-AESA-Parameters.png

L-Band AESA – Image: ausairpower.net

resim-s11.jpg

N036 Byelka radar – N036B-1-01 in the wings – N036B-1-01, 358 modules

L-Band AESA – Image: sinodefenceforum.com

xWGcfM8.jpg

u4EYsoF.jpg

With the $100 million a piece that Egypt has paid for its SU-35..this wing radar has most likely been integrated on them..This is a 5th Generation technology..

92380a79029c335df73191bdd6d34294.jpg

jyysqbe.jpg

su-35-knaapo-brochure-loadouts-2008.png

https://thaimilitaryandasianregion.wordpress.com/2015/11/16/sukhoi-su-35/

Last edited:
Respect comes with economic and military might.... keep it up Egypt....

BTW is Typhoon deal signed... are they tranche 3 with AESA RADAR?

Yes Egypt is getting fit in both..and other Arab countries are following suite..

On the verge of being signed as the Italian government has given the green light to the Mega-deal including the Typhoon.. so it is just question of formalities before it is officially announced..

Most likely Tranch 3 with AESA RADAR.. maybe not CAPTOR E yet because it is still being tested.. but the E Scan is available..

Last edited:
Yes Egypt is getting fit in both..and other Arab countries are following suite..

On the verge of being signed as the Italian government has given the green light to the Mega-deal including the Typhoon.. so it is just question of formalities before it is officially announced..

Most likely Tranch 3 with AESA RADAR.. maybe not CAPTOR E yet because it is still being tested.. but the E Scan is available..

Soon

That is pretty amazing! I never knew they had an additional radar in the leading edge flaps on these jets! What a place to put them! But I don't understand the practicality and I'm sure it's because of my lack of knowledge of why, being that the aircraft has the very potent IRBIS-E radar in the radome already and as far as I know, the leading edge flaps are almost always deployed on this and most aircraft, from the second they start goosing the throttle at takeoff until they land, the slats are almost all the time deployed downwards and so not only does it become an issue of why is it needed with the IRBIS-E, but how well does it function being pointed in the direction of the slats in relation to the aircraft's position. It's a cool idea, for sure, just difficult to understand how well it works.

There was always the assumption that there was the additional, rear-facing radar in the stinger of the aircraft but that turned out not to be true since the drag-chute occupies that space on most the SU models. Then there were suggestions that either the PAK-FA or the Chinese J-20 has side-mounted radars which would make more sense but even that, I'm not sure of the validity of the information.

With the $100 million a piece that Egypt has paid for its SU-35..this wing radar has most likely been integrated on them..This is a 5th Generation technology..

We'll be able to tell if and when we get a close-up shot of the slats and be able to see the panel lines in them. That would be a pretty huge indication.

That MFD screen looks great. And it also looks like it's not a touch screen despite it being a multi-function display, it still appears to have cuing buttons along the edges so that's a good thing. I don't think touch screens are good for fighter pilots TBH. It's just my personal opinion which literally mean nothing lol. But if you think about it, with all those Gs and speed and moving around, I would want a button to push that is solid and is in place and not sensitive etc. Although it seems like the pilot can cue in several functions from the buttons on the stick, according to the rest of the article. Some really cool information in there.

Also fascinating is the one thing that doesn't seem to have changed since the MiG-15 and that is the brake lever on the front of the stick. That brake lever was on the MiG-15, MiG-21 and all the others in between and I think even in all the MiG-29 versions where the pilot would use it prior to take off. Pull the lever all the way into the stick and hold it in place, push the throttle to military power until engine(s) is/are revving and at full power then let go of that lever and the aircraft shoots off from still position to off and running.

This is the better of the pics on that site to see that lever on the bottom front of the joystick. They have made them a bit smaller than they used to be, but they're still there even on this latest and greatest of jets.

10679907746_640b9eb5bb_o.jpg

And a pretty interesting element they also mention which we've been talking about extensively in the last 2 pages or so, and with our Indian friends.

The pilot has two VHF/UHF encrypted radio communications systems and a jam-resistant military data link system between squadron aircraft and between the aircraft and ground control. The navigation system is based on a digital map display with a strapdown inertial navigation system and global positioning system.

Question is, can this system be integrated in whatever the EAF is using or does that mean the Russian aircraft will have to operate on their own data links separate from the rest of the fleet? You would think they would have an all-inclusive data links system but it gets a bit complicated when you have a lot of systems operating within that data link, such as the radars and the seekers on the missiles and weapons etc.

That is pretty amazing! I never knew they had an additional radar in the leading edge flaps on these jets! What a place to put them! But I don't understand the practicality and I'm sure it's because of my lack of knowledge of why, being that the aircraft has the very potent IRBIS-E radar in the radome already and as far as I know, the leading edge flaps are almost always deployed on this and most aircraft, from the second they start goosing the throttle at takeoff until they land, the slats are almost all the time deployed downwards and so not only does it become an issue of why is it needed with the IRBIS-E, but how well does it function being pointed in the direction of the slats in relation to the aircraft's position. It's a cool idea, for sure, just difficult to understand how well it works.

There was always the assumption that there was the additional, rear-facing radar in the stinger of the aircraft but that turned out not to be true since the drag-chute occupies that space on most the SU models. Then there were suggestions that either the PAK-FA or the Chinese J-20 has side-mounted radars which would make more sense but even that, I'm not sure of the validity of the information.

We'll be able to tell if and when we get a close-up shot of the slats and be able to see the panel lines in them. That would be a pretty huge indication.

That MFD screen looks great. And it also looks like it's not a touch screen despite it being a multi-function display, it still appears to have cuing buttons along the edges so that's a good thing. I don't think touch screens are good for fighter pilots TBH. It's just my personal opinion which literally mean nothing lol. But if you think about it, with all those Gs and speed and moving around, I would want a button to push that is solid and is in place and not sensitive etc. Although it seems like the pilot can cue in several functions from the buttons on the stick, according to the rest of the article. Some really cool information in there.

Also fascinating is the one thing that doesn't seem to have changed since the MiG-15 and that is the brake lever on the front of the stick. That brake lever was on the MiG-15, MiG-21 and all the others in between and I think even in all the MiG-29 versions where the pilot would use it prior to take off. Pull the lever all the way into the stick and hold it in place, push the throttle to military power until engine(s) is/are revving and at full power then let go of that lever and the aircraft shoots off from still position to off and running.

This is the better of the pics on that site to see that lever on the bottom front of the joystick. They have made them a bit smaller than they used to be, but they're still there even on this latest and greatest of jets.

10679907746_640b9eb5bb_o.jpg

And a pretty interesting element they also mention which we've been talking about extensively in the last 2 pages or so, and with our Indian friends.

The pilot has two VHF/UHF encrypted radio communications systems and a jam-resistant military data link system between squadron aircraft and between the aircraft and ground control. The navigation system is based on a digital map display with a strapdown inertial navigation system and global positioning system.

Question is, can this system be integrated in whatever the EAF is using or does that mean the Russian aircraft will have to operate on their own data links separate from the rest of the fleet? You would think they would have an all-inclusive data links system but it gets a bit complicated when you have a lot of systems operating within that data link, such as the radars and the seekers on the missiles and weapons etc.
The only reason I can see is because it is an AESA radar that is hard to detect..while the IRBIS-E can be used from longer range 400km..get its info..close up and activate the AESA Radar from 200km or so..
This L-Band Wing Radar covers the sides too.. the flaps might be made of reinforced carbon material transparent to the radar wave signals..

The only reason I can see is because it is an AESA radar that is hard to detect..while the IRBIS-E can be used from longer range 400km..get its info..close up and activate the AESA Radar from 200km or so..
This L-Band Wing Radar covers the sides too.. the flaps might be made of reinforced carbon material transparent to the radar wave signals..

I am a bit puzzled as to how those work since they are directional, just like any radar and the main one in the radome pivots for exactly that reason, to give angles in azimuth and elevation. So fixed radars, in slats/flaps that are mostly pointed down is really unusual and very interesting to understand how that actually works!

Here's another thing I noticed about the Su-35S and it's on some of the other variants as well, to certain extents also and that is the tail planes (or horizontal stabilizers) have the forward portions (or halves) of them in the unpainted, titanium, heat shield metal. Reading further about it the last couple of days, I found out that the reason is because of the heavy, air to ground ordinances that aircraft is capable of carrying and firing from the under-wing pylons with their massive rocketing propulsion systems that leave behind a huge after-burning flame coming off the pylon, those titanium heat shields protect the horizontal stabs from burning up or the paint melting and fusing or whatever. Similar to the shielded area around the gun to the right side of the cockpit which has that unpainted titanium metal around the gun area also to protect the aircraft from the flames of a constant bursting of that massive cannon that thing has!

11350_Sukhoi-Su-35S_RF-95475.jpg

Same titanium heat-shielding around the gun cannon area.

Armament-Gun.jpg

Last edited:
@Gomig-21
Maybe this answers your questions about the communication links:

China To Receive Advanced Secure Communication System As Part Of Sukhoi Su-35 Deal

The NKVS-27 ground-based system

https://www.defenseworld.net/news/1...unication_System_As_Part_Of_Sukhoi_Su_35_Deal

That's terrific. We almost know for sure that the Egyptian delegation has communicated this issue with their Russian counterpart while deciding on the deal for the MiG-35s, let alone for this deal on the Su-35s. It only makes sense that they were already preparing to integrate the Russian aircraft into the existing network -- most likely Link-16) and find ways to have commonality that is protected and secure and most of all, accessible to all the battlefield information as well as between all participating systems.

The variety of surface-to-air missiles for the Egyptian Navy after the completion of the deals announced so far:

- Aster 30 missiles with a range of 120 km
- Aster 15 missiles with a range of 30 km
- Umkhonto R missiles with a range of 60 km
- Umkhonto IR-ER missiles with a range of 30 km
- Mica radar and thermal missiles with a range of 20 km
- Standard missiles with a range of 74 km
- RAM missiles with a range of 10 km
It is also expected that the CAAM-ER missile on the PPA with a range of 45 km

Thus Egypt will have an integrated air defense weapon system at sea too..

The United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) announced that the Sukhoi company (owned by it) had completed last March the development of production facilities for the Su-35 and Su-57 fighters at the Komsomolsk-on-Amur plant. . "

The company said in its statement that the development include replacing the old heat treatment furnaces for hull alloys with modern ones with a fully automated system. These furnaces will cool the hull parts of the fighters after they are processed with inert gases (nitrogen - argon) to obtain better speed and quality in production processes, which helps to change the properties of the hull components represented in enhancing rigidity and increasing the resistance to corrosion.

1178552.jpg

* The Komsomolsk-na-Amuri plant is responsible for the production of the Su-35 fighters that Egypt also contracted, which means that they will be of improved manufacturing quality and technologies derived from the fifth generation Su-57 fighters.

Back
Top Bottom