What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Is there any domestic program for developing Egyptian fighter jets, helicopters, and UAVs?
Egypt was making the Chinese K-8E trainer for a long time with a lot of improvements..as well as the Gazelle Heli under licence..There is not much info about making UAVs..

Egyptian K-8E trainer
egyptian-air-force-k-8e-karakorum-aircraft-a-derivative-of-chinas-K3WCYN.jpg

Egyptian Aérospatiale Gazelle helicopter​
SA.342L+Gazelle++2536++++10-12-10

Last edited:
Egypt is making the Gazelle for long time.. they have the technology to build a new helicopter.. that should come with an improved economy..
I've been saying this a lot lately but I truly think that Arab countries should do joint projects that fulfill the needs of Arab armies. Sharing tech should be a priority to help establish each countries defense industry. Jordan could for example give RWS tech to the UAE in exchange for EDIC bomb tech and etc. It would truly help by making independent R&D for weapon systems redundant when you can get the tech from allied nations.

Egypt is making the Gazelle for long time.. they have the technology to build a new helicopter.. that should come with an improved economy..

With all due respect, we must differentiate between assembling and making.

To my knowledge, Egypt is assembling different parts of the helicopter e.g. avionics and subsystem are shipped to Egypt from developed countries.

I doubt that Egypt would be able to develop a helicopter on their own with decent avionics and subsystems in the short-term (5-10 years). I simply do not see the required industrial base, infrastructure and R&D activities within aerospace in Egypt, unfortunately.

I've been saying this a lot lately but I truly think that Arab countries should do joint projects that fulfill the needs of Arab armies. Sharing tech should be a priority to help establish each countries defense industry. Jordan could for example give RWS tech to the UAE in exchange for EDIC bomb tech and etc. It would truly help by making independent R&D for weapon systems redundant when you can get the tech from allied nations.
There is some coordination apparently.. because not much is redundant..other Arab countries are just in the process of building their Military industries ..less or more..

Another important factor is political dedication and ambitions for an advanced national defence industry. Considering Egypt's appetite for foreign weapons, I doubt that significant resources will be dedicated to ambitious, long-term and risky national projects.

To my knowledge, Egypt is assembling different parts of the helicopter e.g. avionics and subsystem are shipped to Egypt from developed countries.

I doubt that Egypt would be able to develop a helicopter on their own with decent avionics and subsystems in the short-term (5-10 years). I simply do not see the required industrial base, infrastructure and R&D activities within aerospace in Egypt, unfortunately.
With a cooperative country like Ukraine they could. Even Turkey couldn't alone hence why the used Western tech until recently.

Another important factor is political dedication and ambitions for an advanced national defence industry. Considering Egypt's appetite for foreign weapons, I doubt that significant resources will be dedicated to ambitious, long-term and risky national projects.
There actually has been vehicle production because of Sisi.
https://www.defensenews.com/global/...expansion-of-egypts-defense-industry-working/

Egypt is making almost 90% of the Gazelle locally.. did you know that licence manufacturing plus maintenance is the sure way to manufacturing you own systems..

Have you followed EDEX-2019.. that is a statement to a new Egyptian arms industry..

Have you followed EDEX-2019.. that is a statement to a new Egyptian arms industry..

I did follow the 2018 event. The event showcased Egypt's achievement in armoured vehicles and light weapons (which is a start), but there was evidently a lack of sophisticated and R&D intensive solutions, such as electronics, software-based systems and complex weaponry.

I did follow the 2018 event. The event showcased Egypt's achievement in armoured vehicles and light weapons (which is a start), but there was evidently a lack of sophisticated and R&D intensive solutions, such as electronics, software-based systems and complex weaponry.
Give me some examples of complex systems that you would have wanted to see please.

Back
Top Bottom