What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

Considering the fairly optimistic delivery date for all aircraft is 2020 (while the AESA is set to be ready in 2019) I doubt there will be any new radar deliveries which lets face it will replace brand spanking new radars if it did happen. In my experience fitted for never usually results in fitted with.

Economies of scale go much further than most expect. While the initial deal may be less pricey over a life time it will be more expensive to support the MiG alongside the Rafale and 16s.

The EAF will have to support an aircraft essentially in a completely different loop. Meaning separate training regimes for pilots, technicians, and support staff with career prospects limited to MiG as jumping from a Russian sq to a Western one would require a fair amount of retraining.

Completely different logistic and maintenance chains with poor after sales support from the Russians. Another aircraft that will need its own upgrades and overhauls at more regular intervals as Russian engines and air frames simply don't have the same flying hours as Western fighters. Also means less flying time for pilots.

With the Rafale we can pretty much plug and play to a certain extent but we can't do the same with the MiG.

I understand the EAF was in need of fighters and quickly but in my opinion their inability to hold off and need to maintain a frankly bloated fleet of fighters has cost them capability in the long run.

A political position is going to cost the EAF both capability and funds. More Rafales would have been the better option. The Russians are already proving to be difficult and unreliable.

Big Boy Russia Lobby at his best...

And the " Egypt need new aircraft, right here right now" is (I think) absurd. Egypt is in no war right now, and pls don't tell me that those few ISIS pockets require nearly a hundreds new shiny aircraft.
Sissi is on a shopping madness that is unnecessery for egypt "right now". Those old F-16 & incoming rafale are doing the job just fine. Logic should have been to keep that money for more rafale later and stay with that ...

Anyway Congrats, but those Mig are surely a waste of money... ( at some point I could understand a need of Su-35.. but MIg... come on..)

Another Pictures

s1.jpg
s2.jpg
s3.jpg

Egyptian F-16 C armed AIM-9 air to air missiles.

17619826_10155277190197868_30668079_n.jpg

And the " Egypt need new aircraft, right here right now" is (I think) absurd. Egypt is in no war right now, and pls don't tell me that those few ISIS pockets require nearly a hundreds new shiny aircraft.

Very little to do with urgent operational requirements although that is a factor. There is an immense strain on the F-16s currently as they are the back bone of the EAF.

You also have to make the decision whether to cut squadron numbers and make redundancies which in turn leads to the possible closure of defence infrastructure. Redundancies are usually pretty painful to make.

Sissi is on a shopping madness that is unnecessery for egypt "right now".

No, if anything they're coming too late. The Armed Forces as a whole had been complacent and allowed legacy systems to continue in service when they were on the verge of obsolescence or already well past it.

If Egypt is to emerge from its current crisis to become a player in the region a strong and modern Armed Forces is required.

Anyway Congrats, but those Mig are surely a waste of money... ( at some point I could understand a need of Su-35.. but MIg... come on..)

I may criticise the choice of the MiG but I wouldn't call it a waste of money or useless. It has come for a very specific role and one that it can perform excellently.

^^When I first read "Paveway" I was like "wuuuut?" :D Nice pic.

Considering the fairly optimistic delivery date for all aircraft is 2020 (while the AESA is set to be ready in 2019) I doubt there will be any new radar deliveries which lets face it will replace brand spanking new radars if it did happen. In my experience fitted for never usually results in fitted with.

I agree, certainly not in the immediate aftermath of newly delivered jets. The Indian 29K's have been operating with the Zhuk-ME for a while now and not sure if they have the AE in sight for an upgrade, either.

BTW, do you ever get to Mach Loop in Wales? Looks like one heck of a spot if you can get there during jet-flying season.

Last edited:
Egyptian F-16 C armed AIM-9 air to air missiles.

17619826_10155277190197868_30668079_n.jpg

Very little to do with urgent operational requirements although that is a factor. There is an immense strain on the F-16s currently as they are the back bone of the EAF.

You also have to make the decision whether to cut squadron numbers and make redundancies which in turn leads to the possible closure of defence infrastructure. Redundancies are usually pretty painful to make.

No, if anything they're coming too late. The Armed Forces as a whole had been complacent and allowed legacy systems to continue in service when they were on the verge of obsolescence or already well past it.

If Egypt is to emerge from its current crisis to become a player in the region a strong and modern Armed Forces is required.

I may criticise the choice of the MiG but I wouldn't call it a waste of money or useless. It has come for a very specific role and one that it can perform excellently.
30 to 40 F-16Cs are going to e upgraded to Blk50 with all its suite of weapons..that is what the Head of the Egyptian airforce said lately..

I know, this is why I was hoping for some good news.

I am quite sure if our falcons will still with the same armament it will work as an air to ground fighter in the future beside the rafale as a deep strike and the migs for air defense

Yes, but will they also get AIM-120's?

Gotta give Sissi credit for pulling off the Rafale deal which opened the door for true, BVR capabilities for the EAF and like The SC suggested, maybe that puts a little pressure on the US and that crazy bastard Donald Trumpanzee :D to allow the AIM-120 or the 9x to be part of the F-16 upgrades, but.....it doesn't seem likely. Just because that nitwit says something doesn't mean anything. This guy is a lunatic and most of all a HUGE liar. His head is so far up his a$$ he's delusional on so many fronts it's actually very scary. His approval rating as of yesterday was 35% and falling! Even the Republicans are freaking out about this ding dong. I would never take anything he says seriously (not saying you did but some mentioned that because he said he would invest and help Egypt means that things will change but that doesn't mean anything with this baboon.) Besides, I believe the US Congress has the final say as they vote to approve these deals and we know who influences that group very well. This is one time I hope I'm proven wrong.

Let's hope the MiG-35 deal includes the R-77.

Back
Top Bottom