What's new

Egyptian Armed Forces

FFG 911 Alexandria in germany

FB_IMG_1490563939279.jpg

Any source will be helpful.. because the Mig-35 without an AESA radar loses half of its image.. I hope not..

Hence mentioning we should be very disappointed. Even Russian fanboys are disappointed thinking theirs are getting the vanilla Zhuk-ME. Perhaps the goal is to upgrade them once they're in full operational mode.

Info from the MiG-35 unveiling.

http://www.airrecognition.com/index...cifications-performances-weapons-sensors.html

Some other interesting points regarding this MiG-35 is that it's basically the MiG-29K/KUB frame, in it's land based version of that carrier-built version. It has the same, heavy, landing gears, the Krueger flaps, those huge TO/L flaps and it even has the wing-fold joints but they're covered up and probably locked in place. I was reading how those wing-folds limit the K/KUB to 7.5 G's while the MiG-35 will be 9-G capable because of those locked wing-folds. I hope they're very strong! Just shows how they use the same airframe and tweak a few things to make different models etc. Typical Soviet/Russian "ease of building" concept they've used for so many years.

Hence mentioning we should be very disappointed. Even Russian fanboys are disappointed thinking theirs are getting the vanilla Zhuk-ME. Perhaps the goal is to upgrade them once they're in full operational mode.

Info from the MiG-35 unveiling.

http://www.airrecognition.com/index...cifications-performances-weapons-sensors.html

Some other interesting points regarding this MiG-35 is that it's basically the MiG-29K/KUB frame, in it's land based version of that carrier-built version. It has the same, heavy, landing gears, the Krueger flaps, those huge TO/L flaps and it even has the wing-fold joints but they're covered up and probably locked in place. I was reading how those wing-folds limit the K/KUB to 7.5 G's while the MiG-35 will be 9-G capable because of those locked wing-folds. I hope they're very strong! Just shows how they use the same airframe and tweak a few things to make different models etc. Typical Soviet/Russian "ease of building" concept they've used for so many years.
They have introduced the use of composite materials, so the MIG-35 is lighter than its predecessors.. it was said that the latter was based on both the Mig-K/KUB and the Mig-SM/M/M2..

On a personal Note: I would prefer to see more Rafays flying Egyptian colors, rather than Russian ones.
$3.5 billion for 24 Rafale compared to $2 billion for 52 MIG-35/29M/M2 advanced..Egypt went for high quality 4++ and good quality/quantity 4++.. it is obvious that it is due to budget, otherwise a 100 Rafale could do much better..
One question for you: If UAE is going for 60 Rafale for $10 Billion, why not raise the number a bit and get local production under licence with some ToT.. India almost got the whole deal for 120 aircrafts for close to $14 billion!!!?

They have introduced the use of composite materials, so the MIG-35 is lighter than its predecessors.. it was said that the latter was based on both the Mig-K/KUB and the Mig-SM/M/M2..

$3.5 billion for 24 Rafale compared to $2 billion for 52 MIG-35/29M/M2 advanced..Egypt went for high quality 4++ and good quality/quantity 4++.. it is obvious that it is due to budget, otherwise a 100 Rafale could do much better..
One question for you: If UAE is going for 60 Rafale for $10 Billion, why not raise the number a bit and get local production under licence with some ToT.. India almost got the whole deal for 120 aircrafts for close to $14 billion!!!?
The op reliability, the tech, the after sales support, and the most important thing - lethality, of the Raffy is a gen apart, with the Mig.

As far as the UAE Rafay's are concerned, I have said this before - may not happen.

The op reliability, the tech, the after sales support, and the most important thing - lethality, of the Raffy is a gen apart, with the Mig.

As far as the UAE Rafay's are concerned, I have said this before - may not happen.
What is the alternative for the UAE, since the possibility of acquiring the F-35 seems far away?
What do you make of the SU-35 rumours and the next generation light weight fighter in a JV with Russia and precisely Mikoyan as principal partner with Sukhoi in it too?

Last edited:
What is the alternative for the UAE, since the possibility of acquiring the F-35 seems far away?
What do you make of the SU-35 rumours and the next generation light weight fighter in a JV with Russia and precisely Migoyan as principal partner with Sukhoi in it too?
Su35 - Not for now.
Next Gen A/c - Exploring options for now.

I see only more F-16Block-60 or the new Blk 61..
Rafale is still a good option R4 is coming in 2019/2021 or else the UAE has to pay for its own version without getting any ToT, meaning it will finance the new design changes that France can market on its own for future customers..

Joint exercises show strength of relationship
National Editorial

March 27, 2017

Given continued instability in the region, it is important for the UAE to demonstrate its ability to face any challenge that comes our way. Joint military exercises with Egypt this month are a prime example of our preparedness to defend the homeland and our interests. They also demonstrate the depth of our relationship with the most populous Arab nation.

The exercise, Zayed 2, continued over the past weekend with an air show and demonstrations of our joint firepower and special operations capabilities. Such collaboration is neither new nor surprising. The relationship between the UAE and Egypt is historic and critically strategic. It represents a model for bilateral relations based on both brotherly ties and mutual cooperation in various fields, including defence and security, politics and economics. After all, the two countries have always shared a common vision on many issues, most importantly on the how to achieve stability in the region and fight terrorism.

These joint exercises are critical to show that Arab military cooperation is deep enough to counter any force that seeks to undermine regional security and to stand up to any aggression. They also confirm the UAE’s strategic plan to maintain and strengthen its existing relations, and to build strong political and economic alliances at both the regional and international levels. The region is in a period of flux with some of our traditional allies less engaged than in the past. That has given space to regional groups and countries to assert themselves.

The UAE has already built an army capable of carrying out military missions across borders. We have seen the recent military demonstrationUnion Fortress, which showcased the capabilities of the county’s soldiers from all branches of the armed forces, as they engaged in sophisticated operations using high-tech military equipment.

By conducting these military exercises, the UAE is proving, yet again, its commitment to the development of its capabilities in combat readiness and efficiency. If anything, joint exercises are an effective application of an army’s training and development strategies. They also send a clear message to countries and groups that are trying to undermine the security and stability of the region. Current and future challenges require nothing less than vigilance through diverse partnerships.
http://www.thenational.ae/opinion/editorial/joint-exercises-show-strength-of-relationship

Perhaps the goal is to upgrade them once they're in full operational mode.

Considering the fairly optimistic delivery date for all aircraft is 2020 (while the AESA is set to be ready in 2019) I doubt there will be any new radar deliveries which lets face it will replace brand spanking new radars if it did happen. In my experience fitted for never usually results in fitted with.

$3.5 billion for 24 Rafale compared to $2 billion for 52 MIG-35/29M/M2 advanced..Egypt went for high quality 4++ and good quality/quantity 4++.. it is obvious that it is due to budget

Economies of scale go much further than most expect. While the initial deal may be less pricey over a life time it will be more expensive to support the MiG alongside the Rafale and 16s.

The EAF will have to support an aircraft essentially in a completely different loop. Meaning separate training regimes for pilots, technicians, and support staff with career prospects limited to MiG as jumping from a Russian sq to a Western one would require a fair amount of retraining.

Completely different logistic and maintenance chains with poor after sales support from the Russians. Another aircraft that will need its own upgrades and overhauls at more regular intervals as Russian engines and air frames simply don't have the same flying hours as Western fighters. Also means less flying time for pilots.

With the Rafale we can pretty much plug and play to a certain extent but we can't do the same with the MiG.

I understand the EAF was in need of fighters and quickly but in my opinion their inability to hold off and need to maintain a frankly bloated fleet of fighters has cost them capability in the long run.

A political position is going to cost the EAF both capability and funds. More Rafales would have been the better option. The Russians are already proving to be difficult and unreliable.

Back
Top Bottom