What's new

Egypt Muslim Brotherhood Mulls Run For Presidency

Nope, however Egypt will be in a long transition from this, the Military Junta currently wants to grip power, anyway give me some info on your view of Egypt New Foreign Policy and what you would like it be.
i wish for ablanced forign policy based on the intrest of the egyptian people and have relations with all countrys but we need a stronger relations with the islamic world and russia china brazil india iran turkey algria the young players who are going to the top i however dont like nasser policy with extreme words as much as i hate to say it isreal has been playing the victim for far too long becouse of that
Gaza is a big problame isreals want the people in gaza in sanai we should pervent this by giving hamas weapons and supplys but no one enter sinai if you asked me what islamic country i want egypt to be like i would choose turkey but with some adjastment

A necessary revival of Arab Nationalism and Unity is needed including protecting copts they are Egyptians and suffer from Attacks from radicals.
i think arab nationalsm is dying

Wikileakes Saudi Arabia funds Salafism

Conventional wisdom is that funding for both groups comes from Saudi Arabia, and from wealthy Egyptians living in the Gulf. The Minister of Islamic Endowments ("Awqaf") Hamdy Zakzouk, was recently quoted in the press as stating that both organizations, as well as Al Sunna Al Mohammedeya, another Egypt-based Salafi NGO, "receive significant funding from Saudi Arabia."

SALAFISM ON THE RISE IN EGYPT CAIRO 00000202 001.2 OF 004 - Telegraph

Egypt will be back to it's true power that it had during 60s and 70s.It's in benefit of every country in region except the Saudis.They've lost Mubarak and they are still burning for it,yet they are still supporting Salafis to gain power in Egypt.

No one has forgot how KSA supported Mubarak during Egyptian revolution.Egyptians won't forget that.KSA is the last place dictators run for after they kicked out by their people.

Eidi Amin ,Bin Ali,Abdullah Saleh are fine examples of this. KSA=last hope of dictators.

i know it is our problame and we will solve it
but saudi is funding salfisand that is a fact
have you seen the news ?i think something important about to happen
The only Solution to this Salafi menace is to eradicate it from society, and it can be done through many ways; spread awareness to the people about the negative impact of Salafism on society, open counter fund and alternative charity organizations, give the Egyptian people job opportunities, open religious schools that preach tolerance and patriotism for the country while still preaching Islam (not the Saudi/Salafi version of Islam), these are just among the many things that can be done to eradicate Salafi influence in Egypt.

Salafism is Saudi way of spreading their influence in other Muslim countries and once Salafism gets a strong hold on the society of that Muslim country, the Saudis will have a great say in the internal affairs of that nation, just like how Israel has the AIPAC lobby in USA/Western countries, and if that nations people and patriotic/nationalist leaders try to break loose from the chains of Saudi Salafism, the Salafists will resort to suicide bombings, killing innocent people and justifying it through Islam, calling fellow Muslims Kafir, etc, and therefore forcing that country to sacrifice its National interests and to tow the Saudi line making the Muslim nation subservient to Saudi demands.

i wish for ablanced forign policy based on the intrest of the egyptian people and have relations with all countrys but we need a stronger relations with the islamic world and russia china brazil india iran turkey algria the young players who are going to the top i however dont like nasser policy with extreme words as much as i hate to say it isreal has been playing the victim for far too long becouse of that
Gaza is a big problame isreals want the people in gaza in sanai we should pervent this by giving hamas weapons and supplys but no one enter sinai if you asked me what islamic country i want egypt to be like i would choose turkey but with some adjastment

i think arab nationalsm is dying

I Agree we should move away from the pro us policy which is happening, I Hamas is already changing they are not so radical anymore and very likely a partner first thing is Egypt needs to arrest the Bedouin Tribes wreaking havoc in Sinai, Turkey is not a muslim country it's a secular country I prefer similiar to Malaysia.

it might be however Egyptian Nationalism never dies we must protect all of our citizen.

The only Solution to this Salafi menace is to eradicate it from society, and it can be done through many ways; spread awareness to the people about the negative impact of Salafism on society, open counter fund and alternative charity organizations, give the Egyptian people job opportunities, open religious schools that preach tolerance and patriotism for the country while still preaching Islam (not the Saudi/Salafi version of Islam), these are just among the many things that can be done to eradicate Salafi influence in Egypt.

Salafism is Saudi way of spreading their influence in other Muslim countries and once Salafism gets a strong hold on the society of that Muslim country, the Saudis will have a great say in the internal affairs of that nation, just like how Israel has the AIPAC lobby in USA/Western countries, and if that nations people and patriotic/nationalist leaders tried to break loose from the chains of Saudi Salafism, the Salafists will resort to suicide bombings, killing innocent people and justifying it through Islam, calling fellow Muslims Kafir, etc, and therefore forcing that country to sacrifice its National interests and to tow the Saudi line making the Muslim nation subservient to Saudi bidding.

The situation has gotten so bad in Central Asia Saudi funded mosques are siring a radical revival the Uzbek government destroyed saudi funded mosques and preventing kids from entering the mosque until 18.

No Surprise, Saudi king threatened to fund Mubarak.

Islamist parties will win in Egypt and all other countries where this CIA-orchestrated revolution occurred. In Egypt, these Islamist parties will be used by Israel as an excuse to initiate the big war for expansion of its terriroty.

I Agree we should move away from the pro us policy which is happening, I Hamas is already changing they are not so radical anymore and very likely a partner first thing is Egypt needs to arrest the Bedouin Tribes wreaking havoc in Sinai, Turkey is not a muslim country it's a secular country I prefer similiar to Malaysia.

it might be however Egyptian Nationalism never dies we must protect all of our citizen.
you know alot about egypt where are you from ?

you know alot about egypt where are you from ?

Father from Egypt, mother is from germany.

No Turkish Model because it does not exist, It's better to look at Malaysia

In Egypt, a number of younger and more moderate Islamists have pointed to Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) as a source of inspiration, citing legal reform, successful economic management, and electoral victories as models to be emulated.

In some policy quarters, Turkey has even been presented as an overall model for the Arab world – a characterization which derives largely from its seemingly unique ability to couple secular democracy with a predominantly Muslim society. But those who talk of “the Turkish model” misunderstand that country’s transformation. The coexistence between Islam and democracy has come to pass in Turkey not from the AKP’s development of institutional and political structures that accommodated both Islamic and democratic principles, but rather because Islamists themselves came to accept the secular-democratic framework of the Turkish state.

This transformation primarily resulted from Turkey’s neoliberal transition in the 1980s, which would eventually lead to the emergence of a new class within Islamist constituencies – one that would became the force of ideological moderation. Economic liberalization created an organized class of powerful and devout businessmen from the provincial bourgeoisie who advocated greater political pragmatism and stability in addition to closer relations with the European Union as a major trading partner. These moderate Islamists broke away and established the AKP in 2001.

As a conservative party representing neoliberal interests, the AKP has worked to downsize the state, establish greater political and economic stability, and construct friendly relations with the outside world. The party has not only increased its support in secular businesses and the middle classes, but also rendered the idea of a powerful state – which commands the economy as well as the lives of Muslims through Islamic principles – an obsolete one.

For the most part, the AKP has maintained the basic constitutional and institutional structure of the Turkish state, but has enacted constitutional amendments for EU harmonization and curtailed the power of the military. In other words, Islam and democracy have become compatible in Turkey under neoliberalism.

Observers who credit other factors with this transformation – such as Turkey’s culture of secularism, pressures from the military, or the country’s geographical proximity to the European Union – ignore the fact that Turkish Islamism hitherto successfully resisted these influences, established long before the Islamism’s heyday in Turkey. Organized political Islam in Turkey resisted the transforming impact of secular democratic practices as well as pressure from the military and the broader establishment while remaining staunchly anti-Western (anti-EU and anti-NATO) for close to three decades.

Conversely, Egypt’s neoliberalism mainly benefitted President Hosni Mubarak’s cronies and failed to trickle down to smaller enterprises. There is no strong business constituency within the Egyptian Islamist movement to insist on neoliberal reforms, a smaller state, or political pragmatism. The movement is dominated instead by professionals (doctors, engineers, teachers and lawyers) who prefer a strong and expansive state as a source of employment, social security and public goods.

While the Freedom and Justice Party (FJP) established by the Muslim Brotherhood supports private enterprise, such support should not be mistaken for support for neoliberalism. A closer look at FJP’s platform reveals that it reserves a substantial role for the state in production, planning, price regulation, social security and job generation.

Demands for greater social justice for wage earners and calls for an elimination of unemployment among the educated occupy an important place in the platform. The economic system the FJP envisions is much closer to corporatism, oriented toward import substitution and export promotion than it is to a neoliberal economy with a small state and free trade.

Further economic reform is unlikely to generate the pragmatism that Turkish-model advocates envision for Egypt in the near future. Even if a new class of Islamists should flourish, as it did in Turkey, its ability to have an impact similar to the AKP will depend entirely on Islamist movements becoming full-fledged political parties.

Unlike its Turkish counterpart, the Muslim Brotherhood is first and foremost a religious society; economic, political and cultural objectives are secondary to religious proselytism. The FJP relies on the existing rank and file of the Brotherhood for support in elections, and though the members of the Brotherhood fulfill the function of party organizers, they are recruited primarily in the name of Daawa, or the invitation to Islam. From there, they are organized according to a strict hierarchy and mobilized in the name of Islam rather than in terms of political or economic interests.

This structure of the party reinforces religious priorities, undermines internal accountability, and casts a shadow of Muslim Brotherhood control over the FJP. The Brotherhood’s decision – accepted by the main body of the party itself – not to nominate a presidential candidate under the FJP is another demonstration of its subordination of the political to the religious. Unless the FJP evolves into an independent political organization accountable to its own constituency and oriented toward that constituency’s political interests, it can hardly become answerable to the Egyptian people.

In short, there is no “Turkish model” for an Islamist democracy; rather, there are Muslims in a secular-democratic state working within a neoliberal framework. Structural and institutional factors in Turkey are historically unique and it is highly unlikely that we will see a similar process unfold in Egypt. Under Islamist leadership, Egypt will seek another framework – one that will require the Islamist movement to separate its political and religious functions and allow for the political party to represent the aggregated interests of a voting demographic.

Because of this, the task of Islamists in Egypt will be more difficult than that of their Turkish counterparts. They must shed deeply ingrained habits of hierarchy and proselytism to build a democratic system with unique institutions.

Sebnem Gumuscu is a political scientist at Istanbul's Sabanci University who specializes in Islamic political movements. This commentary first appeared at Sada, an online journal published by the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace.

Read more: THE DAILY STAR :: Opinion :: Commentary :: There is no
(The Daily Star :: Lebanon News :: THE DAILY STAR :: Breaking News, Lebanon News, Middle East News & World News)

The situation has gotten so bad in Central Asia Saudi funded mosques are siring a radical revival the Uzbek government destroyed saudi funded mosques and preventing kids from entering the mosque until 18.

The Turkish method is very effective where the Imams and religious scholars have to get education and license from government to preach Islam, on top of that they are also monitored by the government.

i see that your egyptian half is strong you clearly care about egypt and know alot of detalis will you vote in the electians ?

I have a couple of Relatives who live in Egypt Voting currently I can't return now because of exams.

The Turkish method is very effective where the Imams and religious scholars have to get education and license from government to preach Islam, on top of that they are also monitored by the government.

Yes this is necessary however we should not follow turkey model entirely rather something similiar to malaysia where only muslims are affected by muslim law while non-muslims are not it's a win win for both sides.

Alot of countries Central Asia, China, Russia are starting to follow this to curb this kind of extremism Mubarak did something similar to this yes it is needed.

Egypt eyes Iran's overtures suspiciously

TEHRAN — If you want to make peace with a nation, it's probably not a good idea to have a street named after the assassin of its leader.

That dilemma speaks to the wider tensions and recriminations between Egypt and Iran, whose relations ruptured when Egyptian President Anwar Sadat granted asylum to the deposed Iranian shah and signed a peace treaty with Israel in 1979. Sadat was gunned down in 1981 by a group of Islamists led by Khalid Islambouli, an Egyptian soldier who was later memorialized with a street in Tehran.

Iran has made a series of overtures in recent months to overcome the bruised past and restore full diplomatic relations with Egypt. Cairo has remained coolly noncommittal. The sensitivity surrounding whispers of detente comes as Iran has risen as a power in the Middle East while Egypt, an American ally with severe domestic problems, has slipped from its stature as the leading voice in the Arab world.

Egypt has long been uncomfortable with its peace with Israel, and its relations with Washington have been strained since the U.S.-led invasion of Iraq. Cairo also is increasingly suspicious of the ambitions of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who has taken an active role in foreign policy, jetting from India to Qatar to capitalize on Iran's oil reserves and the popular appeal of his anti-Western defiance.

Iran needs Egypt to further extend Tehran's influence and legitimacy in the Middle East, said Sadr Hussiani, founder of the Iran-Egypt Friendship Council, a Tehran-based organization made up of businessmen and former government advisors. He said improved ties would benefit both capitals, adding that Iran's growing political clout "can help revive Egypt in the Arab world."

Iranian policies, however, have led to regional instability that has often infuriated the Egyptians. Tehran supports the anti-Israeli Islamist groups Hamas in the Gaza Strip and Hezbollah in Lebanon. Hamas has ideological and strategic links to the Muslim Brotherhood, the banned opposition party that presents the biggest threat to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. The Egyptians contend that Iran is exploiting its relationship with Hamas to keep Cairo on edge over fears of a spreading Islamic militancy.

Iran's ties to Syria are also bothersome to Egypt. Damascus has long meddled in Lebanon, where political unrest has raised the danger of another civil war. To counter Shiite Iran's influence in the region, Egypt has aligned itself with fellow Sunni Arab states, most notably Saudi Arabia and Jordan. Iran has responded by attempting to improve links with Riyadh and other Persian Gulf capitals, a move viewed as part of an overall strategy of rapprochement that would eventually include Egypt.

"Iran wants Egypt to say that its peace treaty with Israel is dead. It doesn't need Cairo to say it publicly; it just wants to be given the indication," Hussiani said. "And Egypt is saying to Iran, remove our security concerns and we don't have a problem. . . . Egypt just doesn't yet trust Iran."

Although envoys from both countries have been negotiating, one doesn't have to scratch too hard to inflame Egypt's sense of mistrust.

"I think we won't be talking about prospects for the resumption of relations but a clear confrontation between the two countries and an escalation of tension," said Mohamed Abdel Salam, an expert with Al Ahram Center for Political and Strategic Studies in Cairo. "Iran acts as if it was already in control of the Middle East; it has controlled Iraq, and it is about to control Lebanon" through its backing of Hezbollah.

The possibility of closer Egyptian-Iranian ties is being watched by Israel and the United States, which gives Cairo about $2 billion in annual aid. Some analysts believe that Egypt could temper Iran's rhetoric across the Middle East. Others, however, say Iran would use any increased leverage to undermine U.S. policy, especially in Iraq and in terms of Washington's opposition to Tehran's nuclear program.

The problem for Egypt is an inconsistent and often hesitant foreign policy that has been hampered by the country's gnawing domestic problems. The economy is growing, but inflation and civil unrest also have increased, as has anger over Mubarak's leadership. The result is that Riyadh, flush with rising oil revenues, has emerged as a leading Arab negotiator while Cairo is increasingly preoccupied with bread shortages and dissent from labor activists and the Muslim Brotherhood.

A change in course could result in both opportunity and danger. For example, Iran's nuclear program, which Washington alleges is intended to manufacture a bomb, has unnerved the Arab world, despite the Shiite state's assurances that it is strictly for civilian purposes. If so, Cairo, which has said that it is reviving plans for nuclear power to offset high energy prices, could benefit from Iranian technology.

But Egyptians are irritated at less scientific matters than splitting the atom.

Well... good luck...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom