What's new

Egypt | Army Ousts Mursi govt, violence erupts | News & Discussions

All the more reasons why Morsi should have focused on the economy. People are the same the world over when it comes to the economy. At the ground level in any country larger or smaller than its neighbors, businesses understand -- INSTINCTIVELY -- that the larger economy they are under cannot be steered like a race car but more like sailboat or a yacht or in the case of the US, an ark of a vessel. Slow and ponderous, but still visibly changing course. That is what people expect -- visibility. If there are problems along the changing of direction, people will understand and there will be defenders of the current polices as well as oppositions. Oppositions to economic policies would have been nowhere as vocal or revolutionary as what we are seeing today. Do not underestimate the patience and generosity of business people.

But instead of doing what is OBVIOUSLY necessary, Morsi acted the way any hardcore Islamist would -- placate the theocrats. Egypt be damned.

Arab are not like East Asians, Turks, Americans and Indians. They rarely focus on their economy (unless it's commodities) and are too political.

now isnt the right time, in Pakistan's case.

Pak-Mil wants nothing to do with politics - unless things got to a breaking point the way they were in Egypt just 24-48 hours ago.

Isn't that the very definition of military overlordship since they decide who should or should not remain in power?

But what does that matter when it turns out that they are trying to make changes that the majority of Egyptians are against or when nearly half of the Egyptian population turn up in public to demonstrated against them? So-called democratically elected regimes can also get toppled during their term if they make themselves unpopular which clearly happened in Egypt if the peoples voice is to be taken as sincere.

What would your solution otherwise be? For the protests to continue in all eternity and cause more problems for Egypt?

As I said, if you read my post, then all political parties in Egypt need to be included in the "new Egypt" and they should jointly make the new constitutions and try to work together and not only care about the power.

The problems Egypt faces now would be the same regardless of the rulers, bro. The problems will not disappear. Mursi or no Mursi.

The future only Allah (swt) knows and let the Egyptians decide themselves. It is a internal Egyptian issue after all.

But yes, it is worrying and can turn ugly. It is in the hands of the Egyptians only to solve their own mess. We can only try to help if they want our help.

Well the Egyptian military has basically ruled the country for 60 years since the kingdom was toppled. Historically most Egyptians were not politically active. Vast majority of the people were illeterates or poor as many still are. It first really started to change under Nasser and the Arab nationalism period.

Now people are getting more and more politically conscious which is only a good thing. They are a new "democracy" as you wrote in another thread and I thanked your post because you were right. Let them learn the lessons the hard way as you (Turkey) and others have learnt. It is a learning process.

No, FSA will not lose anything. Don't worry bro. We (GCC, Sunni Arab world and Turkey) will not allow that to happen.

Oh, as Muslims we should not worry. Egypt and Egyptians are still Muslims (vast majority). Nothing has changed overnight. Remember that Mursi or the MB has no patent on Islam nor are they perfect. They are a political party not clerics. A Egyptian organization moreover.

To the grandson of Hitler:

Open some history book and don't act like a phantast. Everyone knows how spineless Iranians are. You have been ruled by fake Wannabe-Arab Mullah's for 35 years and barely had any uprisings. Foreigners, Arabs included, have conquered you plenty of times and had a field day. Changed your whole cultural, religious and social setup.

Let alone all the non-Persian ruling families that have ruled you from the Safavids to the Qajar to the Pahlavis who were peasants and one of them (a officer) took the throne of "Shah" (LOL) and his son (the Officer-Son as I like to call him) was the last one before your heretical and satanical fake Wannabe-Arab Mullah's started to rule you and since 1979 they have ruled you good, I must say.

if itis true that majority of Egyptian were unpleased with MB they should have waited till next election..If they have managed to endure period of 3 men for 65 years they should have endured a period of an democratically elected government as well.
What pity that Egyptians being incited from outsides and people got wind..

There is no guarantee of an mutual compromising of all politic circles on making a new constitutions...

Ensallaah i will be mistaken...and you will be right..

Arab are not like East Asians, Turks, Americans and Indians. They rarely focus on their economy (unless it's commodities) and are too political.

Funny considering that many Arabs (non-Royals) are among the richest persons in the world including the world's richest man - Carlos Slim Helu that is a son of Lebanese Christian Arabs.

In terms of business then Arabs are extremely competent and have been that since ancient times. Whenever Arabs lived outside of the Arab world they were very high in the social ladder in old times.

Funny considering that the GCC is the richest area in the world pr capita while the vast majority of East Asians and Indians (especially) live below the poverty line.

Comparing Americans makes no sense either nor actually Chinese or Indians. Also grouping all Arabs together makes no sense either since some Arab countries/areas are extremely rich while others are less so even though they can be neighboring countries.

The claim of Arabs being more interested in politics than must I also can't recognize.

@JUBA you just hate Assad because he is an Alawite.

Egyptian army wasn't very nice in 2011 and killed over 1,000 people

When the Egyptian army start air raiding over Egyptian cities just like Asshead mercenaries, and level Egyptian cities with SCUD missiles also like Asshead, and Egyptian tanks lay sieges on populated Egyptian cities, and all of this happen after half of the Egyptian army defect, and the military start counting on foreign mercenaries such as hezbollah and Iraqi militias to do their dirty job then you can come and tell me how cruel the Egyptian army is.

Last edited by a moderator:
The millions on the street are the people.
Lok I dont defend any party I dont follow their politics, but I think they did a good job.

Well you take to the streets when all the other avenues are shut down such as election, judiciary. Did he declare himslf the dictator of Egypt?

You just have to learn to be patient.

When the Egyptian army start air raiding over Egyptian cities just like Asshead mercenaries, and level Egyptian cities with SCUD missiles also like Asshead, and Egyptian tanks lay sieges on populated Egyptian cities, and all of this happen after half of the Egyptian army defect, and the military start counting on foreign mercenaries such as hezbollah and Iraqi militias to do their dirty job then you can come and tell me how cruel the Egyptian army is.

33xwln7.gif

Your a radical. Ive seen your posts on Live leak. You would probably behead me because you think Im a shia. I will not converse with someone like you.

With Morsi toppled, Egypt remains US strategic worry and destination for aid

No matter who is in charge in Egypt, the nation of 85 million people remains a strategic concern for the United States. And although the U.S. has poured more than $70 billion in military and economic aid into Egypt since 1948, the U.S. government’s ability to influence outcomes there remains very limited.

The Egyptian armed forces ousted Mohammed Morsi, the country’s first democratically elected president, on Wednesday and put a temporary civilian government in his place. U.S. officials tell NBC News that prior to Morsi's ouster, Egyptian military officials assured the United States that the generals would not take long-term control of the government. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey had been in contact with their counterparts in the Egyptian military over the past week.

Among the strategic and economic worries for the United States: Egypt maintaining its commitment to peace with Israel under the 1979 Camp David accord, continued freedom of passage through the Suez Canal for U.S. Navy ships, unimpeded flow of oil through the SUMED pipeline, and avoidance of any catastrophe that might to cause refugee outflows to Europe.

White House officials said that in a phone call to Morsi on Monday President Barack Obama had “stressed that democracy is about more than elections; it is about ensuring that the voices of all Egyptians are heard and represented by their government.”

But even as democracy is about more than elections, governing is about more than democracy — what has been missing in Egypt is effective administration, and that in turn has held back economic reform and impeded a loan agreement with the International Monetary Fund.

For American taxpayers — especially those wary of sending more aid to foreign regimes — the latest crisis may revive their discontent. The Congressional Research Service reports that since 1979, Egypt has been the second-largest recipient, after Israel, of U.S. foreign aid.

For fiscal year 2014, Obama has requested $1.55 billion in aid to Egypt, with $1.3 billion of it in military aid.

In a statement Wednesday, Obama called on Egypt's military to act quickly to return power to a democratically elected civilian government. He also said he had directed federal "departments and agencies to review the implications under U.S. law for our assistance to the government of Egypt."

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., also warned Wednesday that U.S. aid to Egypt could be in jeopardy depending on the outcome of the power shift in the country.

A CRS report said last week that in the current crisis, “Some opponents of U.S. military aid to Egypt may apply further scrutiny in the months ahead to proposed U.S. arms sales to Egypt financed by U.S. taxpayer dollars.”

The report noted that four F-16s sold to Egypt under the subsidized Foreign Military Financing program arrived there in January and another 20 F-16s are scheduled to be delivered before the end of this year.

The CRS report noted that Congress has attempted to impose conditions on U.S. aid to Egypt. Under a 2012 appropriations bill, no funds can go to Egypt until Secretary of State John Kerry certifies that Egypt is supporting a transition to civilian government and taking steps to protect individual freedom and due process of law. But the law allows the administration to waive these certifications, and Kerry did so in early May.

The latest turmoil may give new impetus to complaints from the loudest critic of U.S. aid to Egypt, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., who had been sharply critical of Morsi.

With Morsi toppled, Egypt remains US strategic worry and destination for aid - NBC Politics

Well you take to the streets when all the other avenues are shut down such as election, judiciary. Did he declare himslf the dictator of Egypt?

You just have to learn to be patient.

If 50 million Americans start protesting Obama then they will not wait till his time is done, they will remove him to save the state from worse matters, this is similar.
Its better to violate law to save something instead of following law knowing the result will be far worse.

President Obama: U.S. "deeply concerned" by Egypt military's move to oust president, suspend constitution.

Obama is threatening they will cut billion dollars in aid.

Here is the full statement, released moments ago by the White House:

"As I have said since the Egyptian revolution, the United States supports a set of core principles, including opposition to violence, protection of universal human rights, and reform that meets the legitimate aspirations of the people. The United States does not support particular individuals or political parties, but we are committed to the democratic process and respect for the rule of law. Since the current unrest in Egypt began, we have called on all parties to work together to address the legitimate grievances of the Egyptian people, in accordance with the democratic process, and without recourse to violence or the use of force.

"The United States is monitoring the very fluid situation in Egypt, and we believe that ultimately the future of Egypt can only be determined by the Egyptian people. Nevertheless, we are deeply concerned by the decision of the Egyptian Armed Forces to remove President Morsy and suspend the Egyptian constitution. I now call on the Egyptian military to move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically elected civilian government as soon as possible through an inclusive and transparent process, and to avoid any arbitrary arrests of President Morsy and his supporters. Given today’s developments, I have also directed the relevant departments and agencies to review the implications under U.S. law for our assistance to the government of Egypt.

"The United States continues to believe firmly that the best foundation for lasting stability in Egypt is a democratic political order with participation from all sides and all political parties – secular and religious, civilian and military. During this uncertain period, we expect the military to ensure that the rights of all Egyptian men and women are protected, including the right to peaceful assembly, due process, and free and fair trials in civilian courts. Moreover, the goal of any political process should be a government that respects the rights of all people, majority and minority; that institutionalizes the checks and balances upon which democracy depends; and that places the interests of the people above party or faction. The voices of all those who have protested peacefully must be heard – including those who welcomed today’s developments, and those who have supported President Morsy. In the interim, I urge all sides to avoid violence and come together to ensure the lasting restoration of Egypt’s democracy.

"No transition to democracy comes without difficulty, but in the end it must stay true to the will of the people. An honest, capable and representative government is what ordinary Egyptians seek and what they deserve. The longstanding partnership between the United States and Egypt is based on shared interests and values, and we will continue to work with the Egyptian people to ensure that Egypt’s transition to democracy succeeds."

U.S. 'deeply concerned' by Morsy's ouster – This Just In - CNN.com Blogs

Obama is my homie

!!!

^ Wow.. How stupid. I think you only watch BBC.
AlArabiya TV showed MILLIONS of Morsi supporters near cairo univ (ignored by rest of media) VS thousands of protestors at tehrir square (promoted by fox, bbc).

Bye bye democracy. Welcome Army. Liberal Fascists + Israel and Americans welcome you with open arms!!

Real face of protestors at tahiri square: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=159136380939664

Morsi supporters in million, chanti Mursi Mursi Allah o Akbar: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=687019594647670&set=vb.100000189068342&type=2&theater
Damned right! I heard that winged jooos were flying over the square eating babies.

@iranigirl2 . with respect.. I dont think egytian army killed any copts or others.. they are very mindful about their role in maintaining the balance.. 1000 is a big number....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom