What's new

Egypt | Army Ousts Mursi govt, violence erupts | News & Discussions

House arrest??? the man is going to live free as a bird, with his Billions, he will be like a God father figure all his old muppets will be there and he will rule behind the scene

Morsi was taken to the same prison Mubarak was held at, make my words this SOB went to meet him and gloat

All dramabaazi

His assets are frozen (unless he is found innocent in his retrial) and he will be under house arrest until his retrial (the decisions already been made).

His retrial is supposed to start in three days (unless its adjourned).

I just can't understand why don't they put it down and share the political future of their country instead of creating chos.

‫

Because they won't have any value if they don't use their dirty tactics in politics, and the country is determined to stop them from using these tactics!! The mosques which i built with my taxes money and the mosque preacher who i pay him with my taxes money can NOT tell people that i am a kaffir and can NOT tell people to vote one way or another. This is just one example of the stupidity they do!!

You are a kaffir

Slaughter thousands, destroy democracy and bring back a military junta

You have blood on your hands

the fall of the house of Saud is n will be the greatest geo political change in the century bc it means the caliphate will be established n muslims will rule the world ,I can not hide how exited I am for this idea, their fall is a certainty n no one of the Saudi muslim members can deny it bc the correct hadit speaks about tribulations that shall engulf the Arabic Peninsula, it shall be caused by a conflict over power between 3 princes all sons of the same king , that means the house of Saud will collapse from the inside when Allah wills it, n then the Mahdi shall run from these tribulations to Mecca where he will be given bay'a allegiance by the muslims . until then we r stuck with them :hitwall:

We cannot wish them away, just like we cannot wish away Israel or America from this world. We better come to terms with them and make deals with them.

That there is the crux of the matter, where Muslim Brotherhood screwed up. MB has a deal with Qatar, they forgot to make deals with the rest of GCC states, in the end this mistake cost them the hard work of last few years.

And after loosing the game, instead of retreating they tried to pretend that they still have a shot, this cost them more than a thousand innocent lives.

But all is not lost, there is a precedent of bringing down autocratic dictators and "autocratic" elected officials, so that was a good thing and I think there is way to build on that, if there is national reconciliation between Brotherhood remnants, non-Brotherhood Muslims in the majority and common Copts to oppose Sisi, if he tries to become Mubarak 2.0.

His assets are frozen (unless he is found innocent in his retrial) and he will be under house arrest until his retrial (the decisions already been made).

His retrial is supposed to start in three days (unless its adjourned).

You are very naive or being disingenuous on purpose

The man will live like a king

There was no revolution in Egypt in fact you have gone back and it is worse than before

Too many Pharaohs: Why the Egyptian revolution failed

1dacd550-8c65-11e0-89c6-de65b5316886_UUIDgiza-lpi3728_17.jpg

Two years ago, I had just returned from a symposium at Cairo University on “The Nonviolent Revolution in Egypt: Learned Lessons.” What a difference two years have made for the hopes and dreams of Egyptians for a transition to democracy after the decades of autocratic rule by Hosni Mubarak.

The symposium was jointly sponsored by the Center for Civilization Studies and Dialogue of Cultures (CCSDC) at the Department of Political Science at Cairo University, the International Center on Nonviolent Conflict, and the Kroc Institute for International Peace Studies at the University of Notre Dame. Many of those who had led the January 25 revolution, so identified with the protests in Tahrir Square, were present at the conference. Hopes were high that Egypt was beginning a successful transition to democracy.

As I asked in my 2011 On Faith column, written after I returned from this conference in Egypt, “Can the ‘spirit of Tahrir Square’ survive in the transition to democracy?”

The answer to that question in 2013 is, decisively, no.

Now the streets and squares of Cairo, places we walked in 2011 to get to and from this conference on nonviolence, are lit with burning cars and stained with blood, as photos of the continuing violence in Egypt show.

What happened?

What happened is that there continued to be “too many Pharaohs” in Egypt, too many historically entrenched centers of power. There was no real revolution.

Two years ago, at the conference, as we discussed the possibility of a transition to democracy in Egypt, Dr. Pakynam Al-Shakarawi, director of the CCSDC, and others, warned that Egyptians needed to find a “third way” beyond the old entrenched powers. Many agreed a “third way” was critical for the transition. “We need to let go of our old ideologies and find a new ideology,” said Ahmed Abdul-Fattah, a video journalist.

A “third way” has eluded Egyptians, and instead ideologies have become more hardened.

As seen in the book of Exodus, there is a biblical lesson here, in terms of the violence that can result when absolute power is confronted.

Exodus tells how the Israelites were enslaved in Egypt, and how they escaped after a confrontation between the Pharaoh of the time and Moses, the Israelite leader. Millennia ago in Egypt, absolute power and absolute rule went together in the figures of the Pharaohs. These rulers held total power and were thought to be the earthly manifestations of gods. Moses tried to convince Pharaoh to let the Israelite slaves go free, but that Pharaoh “hardened his heart” (Exodus 8:32) and refused. The slaves escaped, and Pharaoh and his army were destroyed.

Absolute power does not try to find a “third way” as spoken of by leaders at the conference two years ago in Cairo on nonviolence. Absolute power “hardens” its position, and violence is normally the result..

It is not a compliment in contemporary Egypt to call someone a Pharaoh. It is a synonym for tyrant. In this current Egyptian conflict, being a Pharaoh can mean having an entrenched ideology and refusing to find the “third way.”

Tragically, this is pretty much what has happened in Egypt, except there are more Pharaohs involved, that is, more groups who are determined to hold absolute power.

Control of the economy is one huge area of struggle. There is tremendous anger in Egypt about the failure of the economy to deliver decent jobs for people. That was a grievance I heard frequently at the conference in Cairo, but one that continues today. It fueled anger at the rule of President Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood for contributing to the downward economic spiral.

There is also the profound ideological struggle, the Islamist/liberal divide, as Shadi Hamid, research fellow at Brookings, and expert on Islamist political parties and democratic reform in the Arab world, has said. “You can compromise on how to run the economy. But when it comes to the very nature of the state, there is a real divide in Egyptian society about how those things should look.”

That is, no “third way” was found and now the violent crackdown on the Muslim Brotherhood by the military, as well as labeling the Brotherhood “terrorists,” has made the divide even wider.

The U.S. and its allies were close to a peace deal to end the crisis in Egypt. But the “military backed government” hardened its heart and moved ahead with a violent suppression of the pro-Morsi protestors.

The Muslim Brotherhood then called for a “Day of Rage,” and more deaths and injuries occurred.

Attacks on Coptic Christians and their churches by pro-Morsi groups have also resulted in fatalities, as political violence, with a sectarian edge, continues to escalate. Coptic Christians have long felt persecuted in Egypt, and opposed the rule of Morsi and the Brotherhood. They also backed the military coup that overthrew the Morsi regime.

The violence now threatens to spiral out of control in Egypt, and many Egyptians still look to the military to provide order.

The liberals and secularists in Egypt by and large backed the military’s overthrow of Morsi, and they have been adopting the military’s line that crushing the pro-Morsi protests is a “War on Terror.”

A significant exception to this is Egyptian Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, who resigned from the interim government in protest over the security forces’ use of such violence against the protestors. “I saw that there were peaceful ways to end this clash in society; there were proposed and acceptable solutions for beginnings that would take us to national consensus,” he wrote in a resignation letter. “It has become difficult for me to continue bearing responsibility for decisions that I do not agree with and whose consequences I fear. I cannot bear the responsibility for one drop of blood.”

Another “third way” option closed.

Despite ElBaradei’s words and principled action, however, the Egyptian military is still widely trusted in Egypt, even after the recent bloodshed. I was truly amazed at this sense, represented even two years ago at the conference on nonviolence in Cairo, that the military is the protector of the people.

The military has its own agenda, in my view, and it is not democracy.

It is crucial that these groups recognize, as Dahlia Kholaif wrote for Al Jazeera, that the military, has “vast” economic interests. She quotes Robert Springborg, an expert on Egypt’s armed forces and a professor in the department of national security at the Naval Postgraduate School in California. “The question isn’t what sectors do they invest in, but rather: is there a sector that they don’t invest in?”

Far from being the “protector of the people,” the military surely has, as its primary goal, protecting its vast economic interests.

The reason the Egyptian revolution of 2011 failed is because it wasn’t a revolution. It was a genuine protest movement by the Egyptian people, but the outcome was merely a change of players at the top, orchestrated by the military. The Muslim Brotherhood consistently manipulated and consolidated its own power through and after the elections; yet corrupt Mubarak-era figures continued. And when the military didn’t like that outcome, they moved the players around again.

The Egyptian military is the biggest Pharaoh in the room, and it has been, for a very long time.

Dr. Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite is Professor of Theology at Chicago Theological Seminary and its immediate past President. She is also a Senior Fellow at the Center for American Progress. Her most recent book is #OccupytheBible: What Jesus Really Said (and Did) About Money and Power.

Too many Pharaohs: Why the Egyptian revolution failed

Its obvious that Armed forces, the people with big guns, are the biggest power holder in any underdeveloped country where democracy has not yet sent them packing to limit themselves within the confines of the barracks where they belong. The armed forces job is to deal with external threat, not to usurp the democratic aspirations of the people.

Arab Springs has not failed, what has happened is a temporary set back, due to failure of MB leadership mistakes. If Sisi tries to become Mubarak 2.0, the opposition will come together again and topple him, there is no escaping it. Both Mubarak and Morsi were overthrown with popular uprising that had majority support, regardless of the involvement of outside players. So if and when Sisi become despised by the majority, he can be overthrown, just like these earlier two. Sisi killed more than a thousand with support from Tamarod, if the folks in Tamarod turn against him and join hands with MB to bring him down, no one will be able to save him.

The end goal should be to break the backbone of the Army so they never dare to interfere in politics again, just like it has been done in Turkey.

You are very naive or being disingenuous on purpose

The man will live like a king

There was no revolution in Egypt in fact you have gone back and it is worse than before

The decision to put him under house arrest was announced by the interim PM Hazem Elbeblawy and Mubarak requested he be moved to the Ma3di military hospital when he was released. He will stay there until he is either convicted in his retrial or convicted in the other cases put to him. Now, if you have anything that proves otherwise then provide it.

There have been no decisions to return his financial assets nor will he require them. Considering the circumstances this case is a sideshow today in Egypt.

I don't know if it is true but on French main channel, a "so called" expert said Egyptians don't care so much about mubarak
like he was the past
is it true @Frogman?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it is true but on French main channel, a "so called" expert said Egyptians don't care so much about mubarak
like he was the past
is it true @Frogman?

The current situation in Egypt is far more important than the whereabouts or the legal position of a former dictator to Egyptians.

Released and put under house arrest until his retrial for being complicit in the killing of protesters (which hes already been convicted of). The same thing would have happened under Morsi. This is a result of a judicial process that's been going on for quite some time.

I dont think Mobarak might be sentenced to jail. At last he will be completely freed and play good police role in politics against Pissi's bad police role to foool people in Egypt.
Mobarak will participate in election as MB stand banned and Mobarak will reach out a fake frendship hand to MB supporters against Pissi staff. Later both dictators will agree to carry on old order.

I just could say one thing about Egypt. "Expect what unexpected in Egypt."

Judiciary system of Mozambique or Papua New Guine more advanced and fair than judiciary of Egypt.
There is no other better way than the ruling goverenment which elected by majority of people through democratically election.
As long as dictators insist on ruling the country by army power it will may take many more decades till Egypt could reach at stability. This is the bitter truth.

like he was the past
is it true @Frogman?
yes i was in tahrir square in 25 jan 2011 it seems like ages ago now i am more interested in the future of Egypt not the past

yes i was in tahrir square in 25 jan 2011 it seems like ages ago now i am more interested in the future of Egypt not the past

Not to mention that Mubarak was purely a man of honor, with all of his goods and his bads. I understand how you people had gone through, and I respect the will of the Egyptian people, but during Mubarak's days, I visited Egypt myself and the law and order were maintained 24/7.

It comes as no surprise to many that the court couldn't introduce enough evidence against him to remain behind bars, but it most certainly did with his son and 5 senior politicians.

You are a kaffir

Slaughter thousands, destroy democracy and bring back a military junta

You have blood on your hands

WTF? The hell you talking about? Don't you guys swear allegiance to the queen? :lol:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom