What's new

Earthquake in Karachi ..

Major earthquake rattles remote area of Pakistan

ISLAMABAD (AP) | A 7.2 magnitude earthquake rocked a remote area of southwestern Pakistan early Wednesday, shaking many parts of the country and causing tremors as far away as India and the United Arab Emirates.

The quake was centered in Baluchistan province, the country's most sparsely populated area, said the U.S. Geological Service, occurring at 1:30 a.m. local time at a depth of approximately 50 miles.

Its epicenter was in a remote area an estimated 200 miles southwest of the Baluchistan capital of Quetta, not far from the Afghan border, said chief Pakistani meteorologist Arif Mahmood.

The closest town to the epicenter is Dalbandin, with a population about 15,000 people, and it is so remote that the nearby Chagai hills were the site of Pakistan's 1998 nuclear tests.

There was no word on damage in Dalbandin. But another town close to the epicenter, Karan, suffered no major damage, said Fateh Bangar, Karan's deputy commissioner. The town was about 45 miles from the epicenter.

Nasir Baluch, a police officer in Karan, said several mud houses collapsed or were damaged in an area outside the town called Mashkil. There was no immediate word on casualties, but the area is sparsely populated, he said.

There was no major damage in Quetta either, but the quake caused widespread panic in the city, said residents.

Local TV reports said the quake was felt throughout several other provinces as well. Many residents in the country's largest city, Karachi, ran out into the streets when the quake started, said the reports.

Karachi resident Mohammad Zubair said he was watching a cricket match on TV when his bed began to shake.

"I jumped out of bed realizing it was an earthquake," said the 28-year-old. "My mom started reciting verses from the Koran, and we rushed outside."

Tremors lasting at least 20 seconds were felt as far away as Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and in India's capital, New Delhi.

Earthquakes often rattle the region. A magnitude 7.6 quake on Oct. 8, 2005, killed about 80,000 people in northwestern Pakistan and Kashmir and left more than 3 million homeless.

pakistan and its pwople will have to live it......
7.4 on richter scale!!!
5 years ago in northern areas, the earthquake was 7.6, which took 70,000 lives!!!
allah ka chukar hai that this time it came in a remote area where no one lives.
though karachi and other parts were shooked by the shocks

you know your in Karachi when theres a earthquake and people start firing their guns off

Allah (SWT) has given Pakistan another chance, because it is nothing less than a miracle that we are still alive today! We did not learn from the earthquake of 2005 and also did not pay heed to the floods of last year. I feel a bigger disaster is in the making for us, we need to correct ourselves.

Actually, it wasa between 7.2 - 7.4 and the actual place of epicentre is Chagai hills. The quakes were felt in Abu Dhabi, Dubai, Dammam and new dehli too.

I dont know why, I have strange feeling for some other Nuclear Test.

Anyways, we will fing it out soon.
Just will say Alhamdullah that no Major loss was there. :)

May Allah bless us and save from disasters
Give us a right path

hadd h gayi. i wasnt banned. i was just little busy so was not posting. imran bhai budapa asar dikha raha hai

thank god everyone is safe......

acha koi bat nahi ban nhi hoi to ho jay gee jaldi fiker na kery :D

Remember when there was a Tsunami warning in karachi..
any other country.. there would be massive evacuation.. chaos..

There was chaos..
A massive traffic jam all the way from Gizri to Clifton.. the beach was packed with a crowd.. it was a party.. half of Gulshan and nazimabad was there..

TO See the TSUNAMI!
Thankfully.. it never came..

Remember when there was a Tsunami warning in karachi..
any other country.. there would be massive evacuation.. chaos..

There was chaos..
A massive traffic jam all the way from Gizri to Clifton.. the beach was packed with a crowd.. it was a party.. half of Gulshan and nazimabad was there..

TO See the TSUNAMI!

Thankfully.. it never came..

so instead of going inland away from coast they went to the beach to see the tsunami?:what:

so instead of going inland away from coast they went to the beach to see the tsunami?:what:

Yeah that's true. karachiites were rushing towards beach to see tsunami coming. It was like party going on. People with their families were present at the beach to welcome the storm.:hitwall:

Even though I am also a Karachiite, I always felt Karachiites sometimes behave a bit insane.

:no:

Last edited:
Pull my other leg as well why don't you? :no:

I see atleast two Pakistani flags next to your name. I bet you can understand Urdu if nothing else.

Anyway the saying is a bit rude, I heard it from one of the guys and I would never repeat it in public. Go ask someone.:pop:

I'm a Pashtun so no punjabi for me (i can only understand a little punjabi), grew up in USA, so my Urdu is alright but i can't read or write in Persian Alphabet!

Anyway the saying is a bit rude, I heard it from one of the guys and I would never repeat it in public. Go ask someone.:pop:

So PM me what it means, i'm very eager to know!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom