What's new

Dwindling quality of the threads

qsaark

Reaction score
I don't know if it is me only, or other members have also noticed that the quality of the threads is going down day by day. No real technical stuff is being posted in virtually any of the section.

Is there something that can be done to encourage the members to post more fresh and technical stuff?

Can we find, and list a number of other forums and encourage our members to join or at least browse through them and post interestng material in this forum?

Last edited:
I think this forum is not that much of the defense kind. Now people talk more about politics and social issues. Actually that is what made this forum more popular. With only defense there would be very less posts than what we get each day now.

Valid point raised by Qsaark. I'd like to request all TT and Senior members to take a leading role and set example for new members and encourage them to improve quality. There are way too many oneliners and the ongoing "chatting" and off topic remarks have really become annoying. We need to reduce that to a minimum. :coffee:

Well how about a thread where we discuss why we support each party qsaark can be the moderator and in the end we can start generally agreeing to things and then all of the Pakistanis on this forum can vote for the one party we all end up agreeing on.

lol...thanks for the chuckle, bane blade...hehe

I agree it is a bit of an ask but I like debating politics on this forum yet hardly anyone does I like debating reforms, policy and stuff like that yet no one seems to take interest in them.

P.S. I am doing a degree in Engineering

I have also noticed this, decline of quality.

But understand this forum has moved beyond a 'Defence Forum' it is really a multi-platform forum. Where politics, current events, media, war, theology and other miscellaneous topics are discussed. This is a positive in my view, it does keep the forum interesting.

I have started a few threads recently as well and posted a variety of kinds of things, hoping to ignite more creativity and contribution to this Forum.

Recently some threads have been started using bad sources, or are just the same old same old threads, Mods should crack down on these more often.

Besides relevant issues raised in previous posts, I feel we have slipped into simply gloating at each others discomfiture & trying to score ' points' over each other . The emphasis seems to be simply wining an argument & not contributing to knowledge sharing or learning of new things.

We need to shift from a " you did it first" & " I told you so " to an realization that problems of one affect the other and none of us live in an island.

Besides relevant issues raised in previous posts, I feel we have slipped into simply gloating at each others discomfiture & trying to score ' points' over each other . The emphasis seems to be simply wining an argument & not contributing to knowledge sharing or learning of new things.

We need to shift from a " you did it first" & " I told you so " to an realization that problems of one affect the other and none of us live in an island.

Post of the Week.

Well, most of defense technical stuff is not being posted because it seems we know everything. :frown::lol:

I am hoping to create a forum, where technical questions be asked through threads by threads. This will make new users more informed about defence, and start engaging in the discussions with the others who know it all...

suggest that the admn and mods distribute the workload meaning each is responsible for 1or 2 segments of the forum and crack down/discourage the one-liners. once this behaviour is changed then people will improve their form otherwise it will remain a free-for-all, people posting in segments without realising it has nothing to do with it. each segment has a clear cut defination/criteria for posting topics but people ignore it completely. eg; a naval topic (de-commissioning of a ship) posted in the strategic section? and so on!

I guess we need INTERVENTION:lol:

Let's start the rehab process.

Let's remember to uphold a few criteria when starting threads.

1) Does the thread fit into the category you are starting it in.

2) Are there similar threads already posted, if so, don't start a new one. (Some exceptions).

3) Is the thread constructive, or a flame bait, use reason.

4) Use good sources, add your own opinion about the source you just posted.

5) Try to add creativity to the thread, start interesting polls, and debates.

I agree the Forum has become quite partisan, in the wake of the Mumbai attack, there was a heavy flood of Indian trolls that attacked the Forum, Pakistan, and so on. There was a lot of nasty back and forth, in response a lot of Pakistani members were more united and fiercer against Indian members...Rivalry began, keeping score was popular.

Let's remember some members are in it for that, some are not.

EDIT: P.S Don't expect the partisanship to go away anytime soon.

I don't know if it is me only, or other members have also noticed that the quality of the threads is going down day by day. No real technical stuff is being posted in virtually any of the section.

Is there something that can be done to encourage the members to post more fresh and technical stuff?

Can we find, and list a number of other forums and encourage our members to join or at least browse through them and post interestng material in this forum?

qsaark, thanks for pointing it out.
I was also planning to write the same stuff but lazy me. Anyways it seems since I have registered the quality is going down and I have not even contributed yet ;)
Looking forward to healthy discussions again :pdf:

the point brought out by the members is very valid and its a reality we need to clear up the old mess and start things anew, i am a member here for the last 5 months and a guest even before that, i have noticed this decline in content and discussions, why dont we do a restructuring of the threads means some of the sticky threads are too old and most discussions are related to news from past sources we can start a host of new sticky threads related to the changing times. close the popular old threads and start new discussions from the present time line the old threads can be used as a reference.

also some feature a restricted posting for new members can be done i suggested this earlier too a lot of new members or trolls gets banned before reaching 100 posts why dont we restrict their posting in quality threads till they get used to the forum and are proven quality members the mods and admins can check out the members meanwhile and ascertain the quality too.

thanx

I have prowled about this place well before I joined.
It was then a good source of discussion, both defence and also politics.

The technical stuff, well depends on how technical you want to go. But general specifics of vehicles weapons and their good and bad pints, possible improvements etc would make sense.
Some discussions start but suddenly stop, or are left dangling, not exactly useful.

Most other threads suddenly flop into the ‘we did’, ‘you did’, etc and in essence nationalistic banter of meaningless twitter. Fine nationalism is Ok but not if that is all the threads falls down to.

Neo:
I'd like to request all TT and Senior members to take a leading role and set example for new members and encourage them to improve quality
Interesting point but some of us have found that to a degree exhausting and useless, things still fall down to garbage quickly. Ok not a TT or senior so I cal excuse here.

You point is correct but it needs heavy implementation.

Bane Blade:
I am doing a degree in Engineering
No excuse, I did mine, B Eng, while working full time and also my masters.

fatman17:
Good point re spreading the load of Admins and Mods could be a good way to clean out things. It seems that the Admin and Mods are too thin and have to cover too much.

This is something done in other mil forums as well. Also the concept of Lead Mod and just Mod helps with the overall admin workings.

A1Kaid:
Makes a good point re posting articles etc and providing good sources for them. This does require a bit of policing of the stupid and non existent sources.
Also not just posting articles, but providing the posters views allows a level of discussion. Highlighting is not providing a point of view just being lazy.

Anyway a few points

I have a few others points but later possibly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom