What's new

Dwindling quality of the threads

I think many ideas have been floored - now it is up to the mods and admn to quickly decide on the line of action.....

one last idea - i just joined the AFM forum, where they accepted me as a member but put me in a "queue" pending approval by the head mod to get rights to post - can it be adopted here also!

I think many ideas have been floored - now it is up to the mods and admn to quickly decide on the line of action.....

one last idea - i just joined the AFM forum, where they accepted me as a member but put me in a "queue" pending approval by the head mod to get rights to post - can it be adopted here also!
What good will come out of it? If you are not allowed to post, no one will know the quality of your posts.

Originally Posted by fatman17

What good will come out of it? If you are not allowed to post, no one will know the quality of your posts.

There are several forums using this idea but it seems, based on my experience, to be related to your reason to be a member more than your posting abilities.

So if it is used as post ability test then it may fail.

Well is it the low quality of threads or the poor quality of replies that we give. Making the forum stick to only the defence related issues would not yield in guud.

The reasons being;
maximum users or non-military related and don;t know what exactly to discuss about the military i.e. the doctrine, tactics and strategies evolving around the globe. The reason behind this would be that, one they themselves don't know about it and second as it is a specialized subject which most of the engineers/doctors members and others would not be interested in learning.

The members related to the military fields also try to reveal information that don't contrast with the military norms.

Members usually restrict themselves to asking questions regarding the weaponry; topics related to other stuff like military exercises and developments are ignored.

i haven't seen much of a traffic on the threads related to the military. Questions are asked but they are not replied. There are two reasons to this. One either the questions asked is a vague and the second; there are not much of the replies from the senior members and TTs.

Lastly if the members related to the armed forces would start talking about deep technical issues i am sure not many of the members would be interested in listening to it. i would love to discuss Ballistics, types of armor, difference between track and wheeled vehicles, theory of arms etc etc ..but the question is who is going to reply to it when none would be able to argue or reply to it.

One more thing, there are many double threads and threads which contain question that have already been asked, an example can be "how to join the military" if i am not wrong every second day we find such threads, though i reply to them but i also encourage them to search the forums to get the tonnes of info already available or atleast someone should merge those threads so that ALL the info is available at one place, may be a separate section to this can be made. So any new inquirer should be directed towards that section.

In the last i would say that that having political discussion is guud and it should form part of any defence related forum. The military and politics are definitely related.

P.S Most of the members are Air Force fans...so all the discussions revolve around Solah number F and Raptors :)

Last edited:
One more thing, there are many double threads and threads which contain question that have already been asked, an example can be "who to join the military" if i am not wrong every second day we find such threads, though i reply to them but also encourage them to search the forums to get the tonnes of info already available or atleast someone should merge those threads so that ALL the info is available at one place, may be a separate section to this can be made. So any new inquirer should be directed towards that section.

Well I think only one way to stop double, tipple or Quadruple thread is to have the system detect it before anyone can posts same topics. A lot of the members either don't bother to search or in too hurry to post new article that may be current or interesting to them. Every one wants to score a point..........:P

P.S: National defense are integral part of Politics and strategic affair so therefore I think political discussion isn't bad things at all.

Members remember me when i was young man i post tons of new staff every day,but now i am old and broken heart what i can do .:woot:

Lastly if the members related to the armed forces would start talking about deep technical issues i am sure not many of the members would be interested in listening to it. i would love to discuss Ballistics, types of armor, difference between track and wheeled vehicles, theory of arms etc etc ..but the question is who is going to reply to it when none would be able to argue or reply to it.

I agree to this 100%. Any time you feel like starting a thread about any of this stuff, let me know through PM and then we'll see if we can't have a thoroughly enjoyable and constructive time.:enjoy:

I don’t think anyone said it should stick to only military defence issues.

But I do see people objecting to blind idiotic rhetoric that does prevail and tends to destroy any meaningful debate.

The members related to the military fields also try to reveal information that don't contrast with the military norms.
No such thing as a military norm. Never met one.
If it exist, military norm that is, on paper take it for granted it does not exits in the real world.

haven't seen much of a traffic on the threads related to the military. Questions are asked but they are not replied. There are two reasons to this. One either the questions asked is a wage and the second; there are not much of the replies from the senior members and TTs.
Why does a senior member or TT for that matter have to be in a position that they actually know anything military?
A senior member is there due to post counts, not a good indication that actually know anything military. Can not answer for all TTs some are ex or serving mil, but are all TTs in this military bracket?

Well from what I see few actually ask or some try to close off the topic fast.

Besides who is military or ex military, not an easy issue to pin point to direct questions to or PM.

Most of the members are Air Force fans
Sure, nice shiny toys go fast and look great. Who in their right mind want to talk about recon vehicles artillery pieces or tanks all boring and too slow?

One big problem is the number of posts that dwindle down to bash the US, bash India or Israel, or the reverse depending on poster. All irrelevant and meaningless.

On a separate issue there is the Think Tank type about, may it be useful to have a Military/Ex Military Type as well. That is those that have or were within the military and hence a point of reference for specific knowledge.

This may be, and possibly would make sense, to extend to outside of the Pakistan military as even mil types of all nations can learn from our own kind.

I might suggest a structure based on a minimum of Commonwealth WO2; USA E-8; Pakistan Army of Coy Havildar Major or NATO OR-8 rank. These are all equivalent ranks. (Not sure about Air Force and Navy rank systems outside of my own military circle).

I only suggest this as an experience/knowledge level. Now that can be open for debate but it is a minor point in the big picture.

Yes there are pros and cons on this and it is only a suggestion.

I don’t think anyone said it should stick to only military defence issues.
If you read the initial posts, you will see that they had this tinch
No such thing as a military norm. Never met one.
If it exist, military norm that is, on paper take it for granted it does not exits in the real world.
Ya it does.
First let me clear the confusion.
When i say 'norms' it meant the certain 'Dos n Don'ts' within the military which it don't want to talk about. i don't think a Brit would be happy to discuss the blue prints of Harrier here.

For NATO it might look nice when a reader sees the information regarding amount of weaponry, strength, areas of responsibility and the capability to operate anywhere etc etc freely available on the internet and it might also make a soft hearted person a bit confused and shocked, but we in the indo-Pak scenario are quite wary about it.

We don't like that info regarding specific weapons, locations, procedure, practices, traditions, evolving strategies, upraising of certain new outfits etc etc be discussed publicly. i don't think any indian military member would like to discuss its COLD START STRATEGY here on PDF.

Why does a senior member or TT for that matter have to be in a position that they actually know anything military?
A senior member is there due to post counts, not a good indication that actually know anything military. Can not answer for all TTs some are ex or serving mil, but are all TTs in this military bracket?

Ok another confusion.
When i say senior memebrs i mean as they have spent more time on the forum they know what all have already been discussed, mso if a new comer
asks a question they can answer it due to the fact that after spending more time on this forum they definitely know more about the military than the baby. So they can either refer him to a specific post or answer him as they know more about certain things.

And yes all the TT are not in the military bracket. But when we say TT in this thread we ofcourse dont refer to a lawyer or doctor :)

Well from what I see few actually ask or some try to close off the topic fast.
i have opened a thread on indian Bofor gun, let's see how many of you participate in that.:)

Besides who is military or ex military, not an easy issue to pin point to direct questions to or PM.
If eyes are kept open, things can get clearer. ;)
Sure, nice shiny toys go fast and look great. Who in their right mind want to talk about recon vehicles artillery pieces or tanks all boring and too slow?
Absolutely right!
That's what i was saying.
One big problem is the number of posts that dwindle down to bash the US, bash India or Israel, or the reverse depending on poster. All irrelevant and meaningless.

We call it freedom of speech.
This forum shows an insight of Pakistani attitude towards the west, and other 'friends'

Last edited:
But I do see people objecting to blind idiotic rhetoric that does prevail and tends to destroy any meaningful debate.

Human nature so it can happen. Not everyone here are mature or carry same personality. Anger is form of emotion.

One big problem is the number of posts that dwindle down to bash the Israel, All irrelevant and meaningless.

Now you asking for to much buddy. Israel??????........come on..

Now you asking for to much buddy. Israel??????........come on..

:enjoy: :rofl:

Ok there is bashing of sorts but flogging a dead horse as the saying goes get nothing achieved.

Flogging that specific dead horse only lets the anger out but achieve little else unfortunately...

:enjoy: :rofl:

Ok there is bashing of sorts but flogging a dead horse as the saying goes get nothing achieved.

Flogging that specific dead horse only lets the anger out but achieve little else unfortunately...
:)
Probably what exactly Zakir wanted to say was that we here in Pakistan and in his country don't usually find an 'alive horse' that commonly, bashing a dead one is the only way out. The indian might fond many inside india, but what should be do when we don't. PDF have probably given them a better chance to get hold of one alive and breathing. And probably he is also 'dead' by now after what the forum did with him.:)

If you read the initial posts, you will see that they had this tinch

Ya it does.
First let me clear the confusion.
When i say 'norms' it meant the certain 'Dos n Don'ts' within the military which it don't want to talk about. i don't think a Brit would be happy to discuss the blue prints of Harrier here.

For NATO it might look nice when a reader sees the information regarding amount of weaponry, strength, areas of responsibility and the capability to operate anywhere etc etc freely available on the internet and it might also make a soft hearted person a bit confused and shocked, but we in the indo-Pak scenario are quite wary about it.

We don't like that info regarding specific weapons, locations, procedure, practices, traditions, evolving strategies, upraising of certain new outfits etc etc be discussed publicly. i don't think any indian military member would like to discuss its COLD START STRATEGY here on PDF.

The reality is no one is going to discuss anything that is under the Restricted to Top Secret label.
So simply, the only military issues that can be discussed are those that are public. Surprisingly there is a lot hanging about that is public.

Ok another confusion.
When i say senior memebrs i mean as they have spent more time on the forum they know what all have already been discussed, mso if a new comer
asks a question they can answer it due to the fact that after spending more time on this forum they definitely know more about the military than the baby. So they can either refer him to a specific post or answer him as they know more about certain things.

And yes all the TT are not in the military bracket. But when we say TT in this thread we ofcourse dont refer to a lawyer or doctor :)

i have opened a thread on indian Bofor gun, let's see how many of you participate in that.:)

If eyes are kept open, things can get clearer. ;)
Mil pers are still not always clear.
Also it comes to a certain extent in trying to discuss say battalion tactical issues and the manipulation of combined arms with say a Cpl vs a CAPT up. Not being unpleasant just looking at how a discussion would or would not go. It is just perspective level on the concepts.

In essence I am not disagreeing with you.

Back
Top Bottom