What's new

Domestic & Social Crimes [Mob/ Vigilante justice] Thread

I do not like this evolution into "mohajir" identity. Mohajirs should have obsorbed into sindhi culture and identity...But they resisted natural process of absorption and maintained distinct identity and still follow cultures of UP and Bihar...therefore they are still called mohajirs. Take example of balochs, they came to sindh in large numbers, adopted sindhi langauge and culture, and are nowadays very important sindhis e.g jatoi, mari, bhuto, chandio, talpur, zardari, laghari etc.

if you want to live like a sindhi, muhajir,balochi,pathan or kashmiri and you think its your identity then live with it but you know what will be the outcome ? destruction a total destruction of Pakistan and our identity ...
these things will break us in small isolated group and ultimately it will weaken us our unity will fall apart and we will try to kill each other on even small disputes .....
But guys whatever your identity is BUT my identity is Pakistani only Pakistani and i feel proud to be called Pakistani

There is no 'Mohajir' identity today. There is Pakistani identity. Mohajirs are the people that do Hijrat (migration), the past two generations have done any migration, so there is no such thing as 'Mohajirs' or 'Mohajir identity' in the last two generations of Pakistan. Even the Europeans were immigrants in America, but after a couple of generations, they stopped calling themselves immigrants & started calling themselves Americans. The Urdu speakers in Pakistan today are the most prosperous ethnic group in Pakistan today, & we are proud to be representing Pakistan & everything it has given us. Period.

I like this boy.
he is sensible and he is humble.

the Ethnic Identity is political slogan.The politician realize us that they are from us.indeed they are responsible for all the blood shed in Karachi.
How many MNAs,MPAs and political leaders have been killed? Answer is may be 1 or 2 but how many commons?

In my book tracing the origins of the word, Mohajir, I wrote, "the word Mohajir (capital M) is vaguely traced to the 1970s and 80s, when the persecution of people of Indian ancestry gained momentum. It simply stated, when the Punjabis started calling them "HindustaaNRaan", and the Pathans and Sindhis labelled them as "Panah Guzeer" and "Makars", the immigrants started calling themselves "Mohajirs", since they cannot really relate with the other four ethnicities.

Now, the word with the capital M has come to symbolise, correctly or incorrectly, all people who came from minority provinces of India or are the descendants of those immigrants. For me however the word "Mohajir" is not an honorific title or something to complain about - it's simply a statement of being from somewhere else. In fact, "Ansaar" is a more positive word which means "those who help" which is something similar to democratic ideals vs democratic party. Similarly when the white Americans were searching for all kinds of nomenclature for African Americans (Negros, coloured people, and worse) these African Americans chose to call themselves "Black" Americans.

But there's a serious identity crisis within the Mohajir community be it a general in the army or a 'babu' at the foreign office, or a butcher in Orangi town - it's a community in search of its roots because in all 'practicality' and there's a strong feeling that the 'Mohajirs' had been rejected by other ethnicities in Pakistan. Later, Altaf Hussain, the man who is credited to have given the Mohajirs a somewhat-political identity in a book titled "Safar-e-Zindagi" published in 1989, described Mohajirs as "those who migrated from smaller provinces of undivided Hindustan to Pakistan".

The Partition was something no-one really wanted and it only became inevitable when the Congress leadership rejected the Cabinet Mission Plan after initially accepting it.

Jinnah, the Quaid-e-Azam, could do no more than to console his countrymen, "We have been squeezed in as much as was possible and the latest blow that we have received is the Award of the Boundary Commission. It is an unjust, incomprehensible and even perverse Award. It may be wrong, unjust and perverse; and it may not be a judicial but a political award, but we have agreed to abide by it and it is binding upon us. As honourable people we must abide by it. It may be our misfortune but we must bear up this one more blow with fortitude, courage and hope." Mohajirs migrated from as far as Calcutta, Malabar, Aurangabad, Amritsar, Patna and Ahmadabad and other Muslim minority provinces leaving not just "everything" but "everyone" behind.

Pakistan originally envisioned by Iqbal had no Bangladesh but only consisted of what is Pakistan now. The leadership of Pakistan later made sure that Pakistan would transform from Jinnah's Pakistan to Iqbal's Pakistan resulting in yet another partition that ruined the ideological basis on which the first Partition took place. And that is why the 1971 setback hurt the Mohajirs.

And there are warnings more such partitions are likely if the status quo does not change. Many Mohajirs, Sindhis, the Baloch, Pathans, and even Kashmiris will reach the point of no return. Islam could not eventually become a unifying factor for East and West Pakistan.

The 18th Amendment had been a good start of a new social contract which is not ground-breaking, but a start nevertheless.

But to save, Pakistan we need full provincial autonomy and nothing else. We should realise the gravity of situation in Baluchistan, Pakhtunkhua and Sindh where million's are dying of hunger and the frustration against the state is at its height. Perhaps we need to take a breather, reflect on the situation, consider all our options, and then have a polite national debate, without the use of force, riots, Rangers, or street power, to decide if and how we can live together, or if we should go our separate ways.

During his rule, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto began to crush his opposition within Sindh. He started "Sindhisation" campaign and introduced the Language Bill in 1973-1974 making Sindhi language compulsory for all students in Sindh, a move which caused rioting in Sindh. During nationalisation move, Mohajirs believe only the businesses they owned were targeted. Similarly, they say the quota system deprived the deserving Mohajir the right to get into universities and jobs and hundreds of less educated and less competent people were appointed as schoolteachers.

The army inspired action against Mohajirs in the 1990s led to an exodus of many talented families from Karachi/Hyderabad. Hundreds and thousands of educated boys and girls were forced to migrate. They now feel secure and have no desire to return, and that leads to the impending problem with Karachi and Pakistan in general - the loss of valuable human capital. In what was called "Operation Clean-up", more than 15,000 Mohajirs were murdered in extra-judicial killings in Karachi alone. Women were raped and were even seen carrying the bodies of their dead male relatives. The operation also ruined the economy of Karachi.

In an interesting study I carried out about Mohajir identity at various colleges and educational institutions for my upcoming book tracing the roots of Mohajir political movement and identity, 73% of adult student's identified themselves as Mohajir first and Muslim second. This shows that Mohajir identity has evolved through the years and has transformed from being a right-wing Jamaat-e-Islami or JUI supported movement to a centrist or a left-wing ethno-political identity which surpasses religious identity. The MQM - which has now transformed into 'Muthida' but is in fact a Mohajir-centric party made to safeguard the rights of Mohajirs in Urban Sindh - is a clear example of this new identity.

And while the word Mohajir remains controversial and often used by lower classes, the middle and upper classes in the community tend to classify themselves as "Urdu Speaking". For them, the term Mohajir represents the "hateful past".

During my research work, I met MQM Rabbita Committee's Kunwar Khalid Younas - one of the soft faces of MQM - who has been writing in English for years defending the MQM and coining or using terms like the "Urdu Speaking Community" or USC. But one sub-community, the Memons, do not agree, because Urdu is not their first language.

So where does the Mohajir identity stand today, and has it become weaker or stronger with time? Statistics of ethnic violence show that in a very polarised Karachi, Mohajir nationalism or identity has become stronger, except in the middle class.

The real issues that Pakistan faces today are poverty, illiteracy, and violation of human rights. And the people of Pakistan must realise that these are the issues political decisions should be based on. Mohajir nationalism will only weaken when the sense of equality and justice is restored in the society.

Insight: Mohajir identity by Ali K Chishti

This is an ill informed article and has many inaccuracies.

1. The article refers to "Mohajirs" as those who belong to Hyderabad , UP, Delhi, Bihar regions, but not those who migrated from Punjab and Haryana region.
Truth of the matter is , People from Punjab / Haryana even within india are many times mocked,
People from Punjab are usually looked down at and discriminated against by the "urdu" speakers who sketched their identity from the royal courts.

2. If what the OP has posted is correct, why isn't there similar identity problems in the rest of Pakistan ? Why is this problem amplified only in Karachi and Hyderabad ?

3. People who are from central India were always alien to NWFP, and historically looked at that part of the country as a far far outpost which shall never interfere with their lives.
Just have a look at the name NWFP, and one will understand how the people will be perceived.

4. If we look before 1970 within the Pakistani history, we will see that culture, economics, trade was dominated by the immigrants, however once other people like Pathans, Balochs and Punjabis came up to par, the immigrants could not let go of the control.
Remember Karachi produces NOTHING, it's economics is based upon trading what is produced in rest of the country.

Mohajir (urdu spekers) are living very peacefully all over Pakistan, just like me. they do not face any of such a problem like being killed or torcher by any one else or by any community. so why in Karachi ....

better to name thread Mutehda(MQM) Identity rather then Muhajir.

The article would have made sense if it would have been written in 60's or 70's or 80's or even 90's. The stupid author is at least 10-15 years late.

let them live in their world of Muhajirs .... we are all Pakistanis here.

beside there is an interesting off topic thing that After Zardari Support Jalsa most of their own party workers and members are bashing great Altaf bhai. They have made a history supporting the corruptest person of Pakistan that no other party ever did even ANP, i guess. they use to say " yarr altaf bhai ne nak katwa de"
they are going down soon .

Truth of the matter is , People from Punjab / Haryana even within india are many times mocked,
People from Punjab are usually looked down at and discriminated against by the "urdu" speakers who sketched their identity from the royal courts.

That is a factually inaccurate statement about India. Any north Indian will tell you Punjabis are probably the most influential, affluent and respected community, even though they are relatively small in numbers. To say they are looked down upon or mocked is a statement born in ignorance.

That is a factually inaccurate statement about India. Any north Indian will tell you Punjabis are probably the most influential, affluent and respected community, even though they are relatively small in numbers. To say they are looked down upon or mocked is a statement born in ignorance.

So you are saying that Punjabis are even respected in say Hyderabad ? or anywhere south of hyderabad ?

I know for a fact, that there is a strong disconnect North South.

People from UP / Delhi even Bihar have had strong prejudice which is fair in some respects ( education, art, literature )
but in a lot of cases that historic prejudice has turned into Discrimination and hate.

Woman kills, attempts to cook husband

Updated 17 minutes ago

KARACHI: Police on Thursday arrested a woman who had killed her husband and was attempting to cook his body parts after he planned to marry another woman without her permission.

The police arrested Zainab Bibi, 32, and her nephew Zaheer, 22, in the Shah Faisal colony of Pakistan's southern megacity Karachi, and recovered the bowl of flesh she planned to cook, said police chief for the area Nadeem Baig.

"They killed Ahmed Abbas, Zainab's husband, and chopped his body into pieces and were about to cook the flesh in a bowl," he told AFP, adding that the knife with which they killed the man had been recovered. Television networks showed gruesome footage of the human flesh in a bowl ready for the stove.

A neighbour had alerted the police and investigations were ongoing, said Baig.

"There could be two factors behind her intention to cook the husband. One is to destroy the evidence and the other could be her immense hatred against him," over his plan to marry another woman, he said.

According to family law in the Islamic country, a man has get permission from his first wife before his second marriage, but the law is rarely observed. (AFP)

I like this boy.
he is sensible and he is humble.
But unfortunately, out of touch with reality. Karachi's been a bloodbath and a war-zone where the stakes are too high for anyone to back off at the highest level of politics. It has seen too many fault-lines at various stages of history leading to increasing and violent bloodbaths, the latest being the Mohajir-Pashtun divide. The coming of PTI and Imran Khan will only exacerbate the growing fear among Mohajirs, and another Jinnahpur incident and an Operation Clean-up is evident, if they forcibly try to go against the grain of what the Mohajirs stand for as a community.

The Urdu speakers in Karachi, as well as the Pakhtuns in Karachi are engaged in ethnic warfare, because the MQM & ANP (with the blessing of the PPP) want it like that. I am a 'Mohajir'/Urdu speaker with my whole family in Karachi, I was born in Karachi (but raised in Punjab)

In which city? :)

I believe calling them mohajirs now is not a good thing , they are urdu speaking sindhis. Ware-fare could only be stopped by Deweaponization and providing full justice to all citizens of city including Urdu speakings , pashto speaking and sindhi speaking with out any prejudice .

, Karachi is one of the most populated city ,and still peoples are migrating here frm different areas of pakistan, Now it has become neccesary to take major steps and stop the continous immigration... Overloading this city causing very much trouble here.

Back
Top Bottom