What's new

Does Modi know what a smart city is?

endyashainin

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
As always, India talks while China works. Narendra Modi wants to build 100 smart cities at a time when India doesn't yet have one city that has 24/7 water and electricity supply.

I can't help but wonder if Modi even understands what a smart city is and how difficult it would be to build 100 of them.

To give you an idea what building a smart city requires, watch this video of Guangzhou China. Do you think India has what it takes to build one, much less 100 smart cities?

I think what they refer to is 100 cities with basic modern infra.
From a city of basic modern infra to a smart city, it takes more than time and money, but insight and strategy.

Hangzhou to build 'City Brain' with Alibaba and Foxconn

The capital of China's poorest city, Guiyang, is also very active on this notion.

Guiyang City's ambitious Wifi and Big Data dream

Smart city is supported by big data industry.
E-commerce, logistics centres, big data centres in Guiyang City

Big Data Expo 2016: Cutting-edge technology in China’s Guiyang City

As always, India talks while China works. Narendra Modi wants to build 100 smart cities at a time when India doesn't yet have one city that has 24/7 water and electricity supply.

I can't help but wonder if Modi even understands what a smart city is and how difficult it would be to build 100 of them.

To give you an idea what building a smart city requires, watch this video of Guangzhou China. Do you think India has what it takes to build one, much less 100 smart cities?

What a stupid thread.o_O Guangzhou smart city wasn't made in one day. It took planning. Don't compare India with China. As of Modi's capacity to make things work. I will give an example. There was a river in his home state where he was the Chief Minister. This is how the river looked like when he became State Chief
the-roadmap-to-develop-smart-water-supply-sanitation-for-our-cities-by-sudhir-krishna-32-638.jpg

It was the third most polluted river in India
sabarmati-third-most-polluted-river-in-the-country.jpg

After he completed the project
sabarmti-111112-inner2.jpg

And day
DyED25Z.jpg

You can't expect changes to happen in a year or two. Be patient.

What a stupid thread.o_O Guangzhou smart city wasn't made in one day. It took planning. Don't compare India with China. As of Modi's capacity to make things work. I will give an example. There was a river in his home state where he was the Chief Minister. This is how the river looked like when he became State ChiefView attachment 343365

It was the third most polluted river in IndiaView attachment 343367

View attachment 343368

And dayView attachment 343369

It is a great achievement, :tup:
but such infra is not the core idea of a smart city.
The proper propaganda of Modi regime should be "100 modern cities".

Hangzhou to build 'City Brain' with Alibaba and Foxconn
(People's Daily Online) 17:43, October 13, 2016
FOREIGN201610131744000204338891367.jpg

Hangzhou Mayor Zhang Hongming, chairman of Alibaba's Technology Steering CommitteeWang Jian, and founder and CEO of Foxconn Technology Group Terry Gou jointly launchthe Hangzhou City Brain project at the 2016 Computing Conference in Hangzhou, Zhejiangprovince on Oct. 13. (Photo/Alibaba Group)

The Hangzhou government launched a new project, titled "City Brain," with Alibaba Groupand Foxconn Technology Group at the 2016 Computing Conference in Hangzhou, Zhejiangprovince on Oct. 13.

City Brain, an artificial intelligence hub, will use big data to help the city "think" and makedecisions. It aims to build Hangzhou into a smart city with the ability to self-regulate andeven interact with human beings.

"The core of City Brain will use the ET artificial intelligence technology of Ali cloud, whichcan conduct overall real-time analysis of the city, automatically deploy public resourcesand amend defects in urban operations," said Wang Jian, chairman of Alibaba's TechnologySteering Committee.

The first step of the City Brain project is to collect data relating to infrastructure facilitiesincluding transportation, resources and water supply. From there, the partners willintegrate data resources scattered around the city to navigate its "neural network."

FOREIGN201610131745000169481343019.jpg

Wang Jian, chairman of the Technology Steering Committee of Alibaba Group, introducesthe City Brain project at the 2016 Computing Conference in Hangzhou, Zhejiang provinceon Oct. 13. (Photo/Alibaba Group)

According to Hua Xiansheng, a machine vision scientist at Ali Cloud, City Brain will be theonly artificial intelligence system in the world that can achieve real-time analysis of city-wide videos. The transportation module has already been in use since September onHangzhou's Shixin Road. Test data shows that, through the intelligent regulation of trafficlights, traffic flow on the street has improved 3 to 5 percent on average, and even up to 11percent on some sections of the road.

"It's just the beginning," said Wang. "City Brain is an unprecedented … experiment ofbringing artificial intelligence into city management."

The computing conference, held jointly by Hangzhou city government and Alibaba Group,is the largest domestic summit on cloud computing and big data. Its former name was AliCloud Developers Conference.

It is a great achievement, but such infra is not the core idea of a smart city.
The proper propaganda of Modi regime should be "100 modern cities".

India already have modern cities. Such as Bangalore, Mumbai etc.. I think India should plan ahead for smart cities. Again, we are not planning to build smart cities in next 5 years. It will take time. And the propaganda tag should be smart cities as we are developing smart cities.

India already have modern cities. Such as Bangalore, Mumbai etc.. I think India should plan ahead for smart cities. Again, we are not planning to build smart cities in next 5 years. It will take time. And the propaganda tag should be smart cities as we are developing smart cities.
I don't think they are that yet, probably in the initial phase of a modern city.
Things are similar in China too.
I generally use cities in China's poorest province to gauge the overall modernity of Chinese cities.

Smart city is more about integration of ICT and IoT.
Modern infra is the prerequisite.
I think Mumbai probably needs another 1-2 decades to build basic modern infra, then it'll be easier to implement the strategies of a smart city.

1312.jpg

What a stupid thread.o_O Guangzhou smart city wasn't made in one day. It took planning. Don't compare India with China. As of Modi's capacity to make things work. I will give an example. There was a river in his home state where he was the Chief Minister. This is how the river looked like when he became State ChiefView attachment 343365

It was the third most polluted river in IndiaView attachment 343367

View attachment 343368

And dayView attachment 343369

To be honest, I can't imagine so big changes in India's cities.

I don't think they are that yet, probably in the initial phase of a modern city.
Things are similar in China too.
I generally use cities in China's poorest province to gauge the overall modernity of Chinese cities.

Smart city is more about integration of ICT and IoT.
Modern infra is the prerequisite.
I think Mumbai probably needs another 1-2 decades to build basic modern infra, then it'll be easier to implement the strategies of a smart city.

View attachment 343378

Well it depends on perspective. We can't predict how the future will be. You know how China grows in the past 20 years. I'm not comparing it with India though. Just an example to show it is possible.

How do you define "modern" city?

How do you define "modern" city?
Take public transportation for example.

A city has A/C buses linking every corner of the city probably can be only called a (moderately) modern city.

In nearly all China's major cities, a bus station will tell you when the next bus is coming and how far it is away. One can also trace the location of all buses on their smart phone in Baidu Map APP.

Is this a smart city?
No. It is a higher-level modern city, not a smart city yet.

Nearest bus stop from my community, Wuhan City
312.jpg

Nanjing City
24234.jpg

But, if the big data centre has collected all the location of buses and their driving condition, in response, traffic control centres can make decision accordingly. This is perhaps one of the core ideas of a smart city.

Yangzhou City
6797.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom