What's new

Do Young Taiwanese want to Reunify With China?

You mean like how communist propaganda used to say how communism will take over the world...:lol:

hehehe, is that what you were taught in school when you were small -- that China is to spread communism over the world? If so then -- yes, that's exactly what I meant. :partay: :partay:

We interrupt this thread with a message from our corporate Taiwanese sponsors. Ha ha. When I have more time, I might start a tradition of compiling quarterly profits from some of Taiwan's companies.

Here are the first quarter (i.e. January-March 2010) net profits in U.S. dollars:

Taiwan Semiconductor: $1.1 billion

Hon Hai Precision: $927 million (fourth quarter; waiting for Q1 2010)

Compal: $272 million

AU Optronics: $233 million

Asustek: $176 million (fourth quarter)

Acer: $105 million

[Note: If I have time, I will add more companies to the list in the future. By the way, to roughly approximate the yearly profit, multiply the quarterly profit by four. Just eyeballing it, both TSMC and Hon Hai will each have net profits of about $4 billion this year. Compal and AU will each make about $1 billion. Asustek (or Asus) will make about $3/4 billion. Poor Acer will only make almost $1/2 billion.]

TSMC posts strong Q1 profit, more gains ahead | Reuters
"TAIPEI, April 27 (Reuters) - TSMC (2330.TW), the world's biggest contract chip maker, posted a sharp rise in quarterly profit that beat market expectations, as the company sold more chips for new computers and high-tech gadgets.

Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co Ltd (TSMC) (TSM.N) booked a net profit of T$33.66 billion ($1.1 billion) in January-March, compared with T$1.56 billion a year ago, the company said in a statement on Tuesday."

Taiwan's Hon Hai Q4 profit triples; Q1 awaited | Reuters
"Taiwan's Hon Hai Q4 profit triples; Q1 awaited
Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:30pm EDT

TAIPEI, April 27 (Reuters) - Hon Hai Precision Industry (2317.TW), Taiwan's largest electronics parts maker, saw its fourth quarter profit more than triple, pointing to a strong rebound in global tech demand.

Fourth-quarter profit reached T$29 billion ($927 million), up from T$9.3 billion in the same quarter a year earlier, according to Reuters calculations on Tuesday."

Taiwan's Compal reports surge in Q1 profit | Reuters
"Taiwan's Compal reports surge in Q1 profit

TAIPEI, April 28 (Reuters) - Taiwan's Compal Electronics (2324.TW), the world's No. 2 contract laptop maker, posted a surge in quarterly earnings on Wednesday amid rising demand for computers globally.

Compal earned a net profit of T$8.52 billion ($272 million) in January-March, compared with T$2.8 billion the same period a year ago, the company said."

UPDATE 1-Taiwan AU's turnaround fans optimism over LCD demand | Reuters
"TAIPEI, April 22 (Reuters) - AU Optronics Corp (2409.TW), Taiwan's No.2 LCD maker, returned to profit in the first quarter after strong demand boosted sales and prices of its displays for computers and flat-screen TVs.
A supplier to top brands such as Dell Inc (DELL.O), Hewlett-Packard Co (HPQ.N) and Sony Corp (6758.T), AU Optronics booked a net profit of T$7.3 billion ($233 million) in January-March."

Asus Beats Own Profit Forecasts | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
"Asus Beats Own Profit Forecasts

TAIPEI, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Netbook PC pioneer Asustek reported market-beating fourth-quarter net earnings on Monday as demand for its low-cost computers picked up, foreshadowing similarly strong results from its peers.

It made a net profit of T$5.659 billion ($176 million) in the fourth quarter of last year, it said in a statement on Monday, better than market expectations for a T$5.06 billion net profit and the T$2.798 billion in the same period a year ago."

Taiwan's Acer posts 62 pct rise in Q1 profit yr/yr | Reuters
" TAIPEI, April 29 (Reuters) - Acer Inc (2353.TW), the world's No.2 PC vendor, reported slightly better-than-expected quarterly earnings on Thursday, amid rising PC demand globally.

Acer booked a net profit of T$3.29 billion ($105 million) in January-March, compared with T$2.03 billion the same period a year earlier and T$3.52 billion in the fourth quarter of 2009."

Last edited:
Reunification will happen eventually. But I personally think people in Taiwan will find it hard to adjust to the way CCP runs the country as of now. I think it is more beneficial to reunify under a more reformed government system.
The current Chinese government is still undergoing reform like its economy, and will continue to do so for quite awhile. Having a stable international atmosphere will help the reunification process. Personally I don't see Taiwan flying PRC flag until China can appear on world stage as number uno. Or uno-duo.

Excellent reply! Though my English is poor, I want to express my viewpoint.
Personally I think the Taiwanese needn't to live under the CCP's rule. The way of CCP hold only run in the mainland, when the reunion is come true, Taiwan also have the right which choose the way by theirself. This policy is called"One country two systems".
At the same time, the Taiwanese needn't live under the "Five star red flag". Taiwan landsmen will live under two flag, one is red flag, the other is "blue sky white sun and red land flag", the red flag called "nation's flag",the blue white flag may called "borough flag".
The people who live in mainland and the Taiwanese are all Chinese, all of us are the posterity of YanHuang, we will stand together sooner or later.:cheers:

^^^ "borough flag" ?

:woot: :D :lol: :rofl:

I , for one, like the phrase ! :yahoo:

Personally I think the Taiwanese needn't to live under the CCP's rule. The way of CCP hold only run in the mainland, when the reunion is come true, Taiwan also have the right which choose the way by theirself. This policy is called"One country two systems".
At the same time, the Taiwanese needn't live under the "Five star red flag". Taiwan landsmen will live under two flag, one is red flag, the other is "blue sky white sun and red land flag", the red flag called "nation's flag",the blue white flag may called "borough flag".
The people who live in mainland and the Taiwanese are all Chinese, all of us are the posterity of YanHuang, we will stand together sooner or later.:cheers:

I think event a nominal reunification is good enough.

Nominal in the sense that Taiwan’s constitution just need to state that Taiwan is part of China, just as mainland, HK, Macao are parts of China, and no one is allowed to change this clause. No changes of flags, anthems, armies, currencies, leaders…

After that, Taiwan can do whatever it is doing now, like fighting in legislation to entertain us, or launching anti-CPC rhetoric. After all, as long as there is no split, and there is no war, everybody will be happy, Chinese on both sides, Americans, most people in the world… Only people who will feel really bad are those who want China to be weak, such as you-know-whom.

Don't get me wrong, heavystorm. You English is more than good.:tup:

Welcome to the forum! :smitten:

borough??? It should be translated as region. The google translators, or any other translators for that matter, will never translate properly as a words between languages are not always a 1 to 1 translation.

But don't stop translating. Welcome to the forum to play some cowboys

^^ no no, borough flag sounds much better, supurb actually!

Trust me, I tried hard to hold back my tears...:smitten:

^^ no no, borough flag sounds much better, supurb actually!

Trust me, I tried hard back to hold my tears...:smitten:

:lol: whatever. Its obvious that its from translator and we know which chinese letter he use to get that tranlation. If Taiwan is designator as borough, the rest of the would laugh as it doesn't make any sense and will be a skit on Saturday night live.

^^ either way, when I see someone holding your borough flag in London Olympics ceremonies, I now know how to address them --->

"Bravo, bravo, villagers !" :yahoo:

I thought it might be convenient to place a video of "Taiwan Lantern Festival in WIDESCREEN and HD!" in this thread.

Taiwan has changed beyond recognition. However, it is reassuring that some things remain timeless, such as the Lantern Festival.

Last edited by a moderator:
borough??? It should be translated as region. The google translators, or any other translators for that matter, will never translate properly as a words between languages are not always a 1 to 1 translation.

I feel ashamed that I didn't know this word "region", I never use goole translators or other translators like this. All sentences are writen by myself. I am a common youth who live in China and haven't enough opportunity to use English.

Don't get me wrong, heavystorm. You English is more than good.:tup:

Welcome to the forum! :smitten:

I like here, most of people in here whoever come from Pakistan or from Indian even from Taiwan are friendly. In many Chinese web, you will find that they are fighting against each other all the time.

I feel ashamed that I didn't know this word ["region."] I [have] never [used Google translator] or other translators like [it]. All sentences are [written] by myself. I am a common youth who [lives] in China and haven't [had the] opportunity to use English.

There is nothing for you to be ashamed. Those guys are hardly perfect. I see plenty of grammatical, punctuation, and/or spelling errors in their posts.

As a second language, your English is excellent. Keep up the good work.

For example, you can poke back at faithfulguy.

"whatever. Its obvious that its from translator and we know which chinese letter he use to get that tranlation. If Taiwan is designator as borough, the rest of the would laugh as it doesn't make any sense and will be a skit on Saturday night live." (post #55)

First word of a sentence has to be capitalized. Whatever, not whatever.

"Its" is possessive. He meant to write "It's." "It's" is a contraction for "it is." Similarly, he should have written "it's from a translator," not "its from translator." "Chinese" has to be capitalized in "chinese letter." This is taking too long. I'll just go ahead and fix his paragraph.

Improved version:

"[Whatever]. [It's] obvious that [it's] from [a] translator and we know which [Chinese word] he [used] to get that [translation]. If Taiwan is [designated] as [a] borough, the rest of the [world] would laugh [because] it doesn't make any sense and will be a skit on Saturday [Night Live]."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom