What's new

Do Pakistanis have the concept of jhootha?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont chew and feed, but yeah my do feed my baby whatever im eating or drinking.. its good for immune system.

@Vikki I dont think there is a problem with drinking from the same glass as your family, however normal ppl have more than 1 glass, everybody has a glass on the dinner table.

Guests arent fresh cutlery and so on.

But yeah its not a big deal drinking from the same glass as your friends or your parents.

I dont know about your kind, but even among my friends, atleast my friends we do share stuff..:lol:

Drinking cola? Idhar dey yaar & snatch it from the guy and drink it.. no biggie.

P.S: Among us Baloch & Pakhtun we do eat from same plate:

Friends having sobat/painda:
View attachment 561354

View attachment 561352

These plates (each) serve small groups:

View attachment 561353

Bhartis dont wash or shave their underarms etc, drink cow urine & ganges water and talk about hygiene.

Painda/Sobat, I ate for the first time in Peshawar. A friend of ours from Lakki Marwat brought us Painda, and it was very heavy for me. Nevertheless, its delicious. They usually add "Desi Ghee" to it, and beyond 30, one must exercise caution & discreetion in diet matter according to his life style.

While growing up in a Pukhtoon household I was never introduced to the concept of Jhoota, everyone ate together, drank from the same glass or whatever and I remember growing up in Punjab and the kids in school would not share waterbottles with each other. I found it really odd. The kids would make excuses like their waterbottle has "medicine'', in it or something if they were nice or just flat out refuse. I have no problem with it to this day, I am just as comfortable using drinking water from a glass at a public water filter as I am from a glass at home.

Who told you dimwit that indians dont shave pubic hair...its sikhs that dont do.....i didnt have any ill intention when I asked the question...you are unnecessarily getting provoked...go and drink some camel urine ..that may increase your knowledge

A)I didnt abuse you.
B)Try searching this forum, indians had the gal to claim that shaving underarms is gay.
C)Arabs used camel urine as anti septic med.
D)You drink more cow piss and eat gobar, which is part of your faith.

E)Go fk yourself, napkin nipper.

Last edited:
As a muslim there is no such a thing called Jootha thing "meri plate joothi kerdi" we can drink each other water eat in same big plate unless someone is sick other wise its better to eat together in same plate or drink water with manners.
gettyimages-200539452-001-1024x1024.jpg
Sunnah_Food.jpg

While growing up in a Pukhtoon household I was never introduced to the concept of Jhoota, everyone ate together, drank from the same glass or whatever and I remember growing up in Punjab and the kids in school would not share waterbottles with each other. I found it really odd. The kids would make excuses like their waterbottle has "medicine'', in it or something if they were nice or just flat out refuse. I have no problem with it to this day, I am just as comfortable using drinking water from a glass at a public water filter as I am from a glass at home.

The trouble is dangerous contagious diseases, like someone said earlier. Due to this reason, I too carry with myself bottle and never share it with anyone.

The trouble is dangerous contagious diseases, like someone said earlier. Due to this reason, I too carry with myself bottle and never share it with anyone.
That is a valid point but I haven't had any contagious disease in years, haven't even had a flu in the past 5 years or something. My theory is and I am no medical professional, so take is as you may, that the more you keep the immune system on its toes the better it is. I carry a bottle too but would never say no to anyone asking me for water because I can't deny him of water.

I couldnt find an equivalent word for jhootha in English ..so i used hindi word...in India I have found Muslims generally drink with their glasses by putting it into their mouths...the same glass is used by other family members without washing that glass...and they serve water even to guests with that jhootha glass.
Although many north indians put the glass in their mouths ,they wash it and would not give water with the sam4 glass to the guests(we south indian hindus are very particular abt it and we consider it sin to give water to a guest in a glass which is jhootha...to be honest hindus in south generally drink water by lifting the glass).
How different is Pakistan?Are they same like Indian muslims in this regard?
It is "Jootha"...…….. And yes we do have it in society generally and people do fallow it (here I mean people wash glass , people wont eat in same plate , people look after cleaning ) ..……….. If someone don't look after are fallow it, then this their own personal problem..

I dont think so. Jhoot is part of our daily lives. Our partners lie to us. We go buy groceries, and shopkeepers lie. The government lies. Jhoot is the reality. And its because of prevalence of jhoot, we see lack of barkat (cant find equivalent word in English) in our daily lives.

Just go around in Ramzan. Instead of barkat, its all laanat everywhere. There is zakheera undozi (hoarding). There is milawat. There is price hike. There is under weighing. Everyone wants to make a quick buck. Everyone is in a hurry. Nobody cares for nobody. In a rush to reach home to break fast, people abuse each other. All these evils come to the fore in full dominance in Ramazan, a month of barakaat. It seems Allah incarcerates Satan but releases the Satan in our souls.

Take these three basic teachings of Islam - cleanliness, truthfulness and subr/shukar and measure our society agaisnt them. We will realize how far we are from the true spirit of religion, our deen. All of us want to practice the ritual part of the religion and want to be seen practising it. But we dont learn the what even those rituals teach us about our daily lives, the deen part of Islam.

It is "Jootha"...…….. And yes we do have it in society generally and people do fallow it (here I mean people wash glass , people wont eat in same plate , people look after cleaning ) ..……….. If someone don't look after are fallow it, then this their own personal problem..
Actualy we drink in the same glass even if you are a stranger...but drinking by touching the glass to the lips is forbidden mostly.

Actualy we drink in the same glass even if you are a stranger...but drinking by touching the glass to the lips is forbidden mostly.
We touch lips , drinking like you(without touching) almost not allowed (not forbidden) .. But we also have order (common sense) to clean(wash) the glass before someone else drink it.... We call it glass "Ganghalna"( mean wash the glass)..
Cleanness (tidiness , personal hygiene , work place hygiene ) is half of Iman...

Salaam

I couldnt find an equivalent word for jhootha in English ..so i used hindi word...in India I have found Muslims generally drink with their glasses by putting it into their mouths...the same glass is used by other family members without washing that glass...and they serve water even to guests with that jhootha glass.
Although many north indians put the glass in their mouths ,they wash it and would not give water with the sam4 glass to the guests(we south indian hindus are very particular abt it and we consider it sin to give water to a guest in a glass which is jhootha...to be honest hindus in south generally drink water by lifting the glass).
How different is Pakistan?Are they same like Indian muslims in this regard?

I think the concept is rooted in the Hindu caste system, where you have an entire untouchable caste.

Jootha has little to do with hygienic purity and more to do with ritual purity.

That is what it is rooted in, imho. Obviously some further mutations in custom must've occured but the root is, imho, in the caste system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom