What's new

Do India's Space Program and Mars Mission Make Sense?

First, I support privatizing PIA to run it more effectively and deliver better value to its customers.

Second, there is no comparison between operating an airline which is part of necessary national transportation and running a space mission which is not essential....particularly for a country like India with the worlds largest population of poor, hungry, sick and illiterates.

Haq's Musings: Grinding Poverty in Resurgent India

First, I support privatizing PIA to run it more effectively and deliver better value to its customers.

Second, there is no comparison between operating an airline which is part of necessary national transportation and running a space mission which is not essential....particularly for a country like India with the worlds largest population of poor, hungry, sick and illiterates.

It is not a dire necessity, even without PIA, there are many airlines providing service at a much cheaper rate. Instead, that 100 million USD can be spent to improve the railway system, which is much more important that running a loss making flag carrier.

The only thing is, those aren't 'civilian pastures'....

Well i guess in that case, i feel govt has got its priorities muddled up. @Skull and Bones mentioned in one of his previous posts, that the space program has been of immense help to Indian agriculture, telecom and several other sectors. Having a commercial space program these days for any growing nation is a necessity and not a luxary.
& in this light i feel if ISRO spends some part of its annual budget of things like MARS mission while concentrating on bigger civilian satellite program, it is perfectly acceptable to tax-payers like us.

You are missing the point here. The Mars mission is a technology demonstrator.

The space technology market is now worth $300 billion and India has a very little share of it.

In last 20 years ISRO has earned only $750 million for India. Most of the forex earned is from launching satellites and services. With the success of MOM, ISRO can bid for many more such projects. Earning $1 billion a year should be achievable in 2-3 years.

The concept is similar to IT outsourcing, which in the last 2 decades has grown to $100 billion per annum business for India. If, properly nurtured and with optimal involvement of the India private sector space tech can be a success story like IT.

Of course, any forex earned helps in improving the lives of the poor of the country.

And they have no answer. For them to concede what India did was nothing short of incredible would be a bitter pill to swallow and maybe even cause some very uncomfortable introspection- why are their institutions consistently failing across the board whilst India's are now producing success after success?

Why is India (a nation they are taught to consider below them and backwards) able to go from this:

View attachment 85318

To this:

View attachment 85319

View attachment 85320

But this is human nature- jealousy is an ugly emotion.

Jesus man! I was the FIRST ONE to come up with this post years ago. And now everyone uses this with no copyright to me! SAD SAD SAD!!!!

what about the fluid dynamics at such v's / structural integrity vs maneuverability
The biggest hurdle comes in form of Materials and manufacturing. Some of the welding and fabrication techniques used in Aero-space industry are extremely costly and complicated. However once these are mastered and absorbed by local industry, they have immense applications. One such example is Carbon composite fibers developed for missile program but now find lot of use in fields as diverse as Medicine.

I believe PIA should be closed and money should be used for weeding out illiteracy in Pakistan because is only next to Nigeria in highest number of kids out of school.

According to UN Secretary-General's Millennium Development Goals report released by UN Information Centre "the poverty rate fell from 49 per cent in 1994 to 42 per cent in 2005 and to 33 per cent in 2010. If the current pace continues, India will meet the poverty reduction target by 2015,".
source:India’s poverty rates will drop by half by 2015: UN report | Business Line

If you look at the percentage of people below the international poverty line set by unicef the numbers have been steadily decreasing.
poverty rate might have fallen in india but what mr haq is saying that out of all the worlds poor people around 30 percent live in india… few decades ago only around 20 percent lived in india………so in other words the world is educing poverty at a faster pace then india……….. do you understand???:blink::blink::blink:

I believe PIA should be closed and money should be used for weeding out illiteracy in Pakistan because is only next to Nigeria in highest number of kids out of school.
pia provides a service to us pakistanis… what will you get out of this mars mission?? lol
the americans would have studied mars and shared it with the world for free… and they will do a better job… there is nothing india will get out of this mars mission that the rest of us won't get.

@Skull and Bones @Contrarian @Ravi Nair your thoughts on my comments about your mars mission??

Now come on fellas (I can't believe, I am speaking American English. "Fellas instead of Fellows"...:D). This thread is old and running since last six days.

Now let's waste some more money on GSLV Mark3 and make it successful and give another chance to Mr. Haq to write another article!!

pia provides a service to us pakistanis… what will you get out of this mars mission?? lol
the americans would have studied mars and shared it with the world for free… and they will do a better job… there is nothing india will get out of this mars mission that the rest of us won't get.

@Skull and Bones @Contrarian @Ravi Nair your thoughts on my comments about your mars mission??

PIA is making losses, its a white elephant, not serving anyone but sucking up Pakistani taxpayers' money. Moreover, SUPARCO should be closed, sare employee ki chutti kar do, sell all the properties and use the money for social welfare. @RiazHaq will surely agree with it, why Pakistan need a space program, waste of money. :lol::lol::lol:

PIA is making losses, its a white elephants, not serving anyone but sucking up Pakistani taxpayers' money. Moreover, SUPARCO should be closed, sare employee ki chutti kar do, sell all the properties and use the money for social welfare. @RiazHaq will surely agree with it, why Pakistan need a space program, waste of money. :lol::lol::lol:
we don't need a space program…. what will the mars mission make you???
pia provides us a service… thousands of us pakistanis depend on it.. so its ok if the government subsidizes it..

we don't need a space program…. what will the mars mission make you???
pia provides us a service… thousands of us pakistanis depend on it.. so its ok if the government subsidizes it..

Do you think subsidy is the main issue or internal corruption is the main reason in making PIA a white elephant. Moreover, there is already lots of international airlines to serve Pakistani travelers, its ok both PIA and SUPARCO should be shut down for good and money should be used for social welfares.

Emirates, Gulf air, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines provides much better service than PIA with much wider reach and economical price, apart from the nationalistic purpose of a flag bearing airline, PIA doesn't serve any apparent purpose. Even the Pakistanis I know here avoid flying in PIA. So the statement of serving the nation is mute. Both PIA and Air India are a burden for the nation.

The apparent benefit is technical know how of sophisticated payload launch, the apparent benefit is knowledge in deep space reach, the apparent benefit is inspiring hundreds of millions of people to pursue STEM as a preferred subject to study, the apparent benefit is gaining a market for future deep space launch and a prospect of asteroid mining.

I have all the reasons to believe that you and @RiazHaq has always been miles away from core STEM subjects, so the apparent benefits are eluding your understanding.

I never heard any hypocrites questioning when congress spent 500 crores on political image makeover. It's better to confine your concerns within your national borders.

Do you think subsidy is the main issue or internal corruption is the main reason in making PIA a white elephant. Moreover, there is already lots of international airlines to serve Pakistani travelers, its ok both PIA and SUPARCO should be shut down for good and money should be used for social welfares.
not international but pia has local flights where international carriers do nothing… suparco manages our satellites… nothing wrong with that… r u just joking or r u seriously this stupid?? lol

Emirates, Gulf air, Qatar Airways, Turkish Airlines provides much better service than PIA with much wider reach and economical price, apart from the nationalistic purpose of a flag bearing airline, PIA doesn't serve any apparent purpose. Even the Pakistanis I know here avoid flying in PIA. So the statement of serving the nation is mute. Both PIA and Air India are a burden for the nation.

The apparent benefit is technical know how of sophisticated payload launch, the apparent benefit is knowledge in deep space reach, the apparent benefit is inspiring hundreds of millions of people to pursue STEM as a preferred subject to study, the apparent benefit is gaining a market for future deep space launch and a prospect of asteroid mining.

I have all the reasons to believe that you and @RiazHaq has always been miles away from core STEM subjects, so the apparent benefits are eluding your understanding.

I never heard any hypocrites questioning when congress spent 500 crores on political image makeover. It's better to confine your concerns within your national borders.
you just can't admit that india simply wanted to do this mission to portray a false image of its progress to the world lol. thats what gets me… all the rest of what you said is crap.
all the airlines you mentioned don't do local fights within pakistan.

Back
Top Bottom